Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 18:48   #2026
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Would be nice to know what DB sir has to say about this blogs claim that Thar is not good above 80kmph...
Probably that the ONE prototype they made was the bestest jeep ever and did twice those speeds in second gear, so does not make any sense why an enthusiast cannot duplicate the same by using elementary logic.

But then again, if one has a basic idea of inertia, momentum, structural rigidity, C of G, etc, one might not wonder about such things.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 19:08   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Probably that the ONE prototype they made was the bestest jeep ever and did twice those speeds in second gear, so does not make any sense why an enthusiast cannot duplicate the same by using elementary logic.

But then again, if one has a basic idea of inertia, momentum, structural rigidity, C of G, etc, one might not wonder about such things.

Cheers
If enthusiasts had to duplicate prototypes, it would be better to build from scratch than spend 8 lacs to get a car that is below ordinary above 80kmph.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:59   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
If enthusiasts had to duplicate prototypes, it would be better to build from scratch than spend 8 lacs to get a car that is below ordinary above 80kmph.
I have had the opportunity to be on the roads where I could manage 135, if not 140 on the Thar. And I agree with whatever the other gentleman has to say. The steering goes super-light and then the vehicle itself is very unstable, let alone in the corners, even on a straight line where a certain bad patch exists. The Thar is good to cruise at 80-90 and not beyond.

Having said that, let's all not forget that this is a jeep and not a Ferrari. A jeep is meant to do certain things and the Thar delivers in all those departments. As regards to speed, you will have to risk it the way I did, during my 9000km solo road trip.

But I wonder how DB's jeep will perform at high speeds?
Trueintrepid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:45   #2029
BHPian

At the risk of repeating myself, Speed is still not the issue IMHO. It's the stopping power at higher speeds. That really worries me. Cruising at 100-110 is not a issue at all from an effort perspective; The engine doesn't scream.

I definitely agree it's not built to be a fast car, as the Thar Hates Tar:-)
Tha'Red is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:49   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
But I wonder how DB's jeep will perform at high speeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Guess one needs to have special Driving License to drive the THAR at high speeds
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:56   #2031
AWD
BHPian

High speeding on Thar should not be recommended because the vehicle in all probability is a "SAFETY HAZARD". No crumple zones, no impact absorbing, no safety features(ABS,Airbags), not a modern design, soft top, sharp edges & corners inside. The vehicle will also fare poorly w.r.t. pedestrian safety.

Its main usage is "utility" it offers be it taking it to terrain where it would be tough/difficult for other cars. Or 4x4 usage.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:31   #2032
Senior - BHPian

ALright, this is something that I never thought of while I was considering Thar. This means that Thar is not safe anything 70+kmph! So, its still a good vehicle for cross-country like recreational sport but surely not one for long distance trips on highways.

I may not even wait for the release in that csae, probably start working on LX4wd.
OT: Whats the best way to interact with MODs here! I created a 'what car' thread for comparision between Lx4wd and refreshed Thar (which I feel iare not discussed since both are new entries) and it wa deleted afer a few hours asking me to SEARCH extensively. I usually agree with mods here, but this time may need their help to convince me.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:50   #2033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
This means that Thar is not safe anything 70+kmph!
Ketan, Thar is a Jeep, and IMO, by Jeep standards, Thar can easily cruise 100+ on the highways. Also, I can confidently say that Thar is by far the most stable Jeep to be launched in India.

If it is mostly highway cruising you are looking for, then I guess Thar is not the vehicle to look for.
Quote:
Whats the best way to interact with MODs here!
You can use 'contact us' : Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Contact Us
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:11   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, Speed is still not the issue IMHO. It's the stopping power at higher speeds. That really worries me. Cruising at 100-110 is not a issue at all from an effort perspective;
I agree with you on that. Controlling a car at speeds above 100kmph with the aerodynamics of a breadbox would be a 'Challenge'.
It would just not stop in time and can be a major hazard.
If people want to cruise on the highways with 4x4 as an option, M&M has the Scorpio, which is comparatively safer then Thar.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:56   #2035
AWD
BHPian

@Ketan, if safety is an issue, which I think should be at the top of the mind while considering a car. Then you may have to stay away from the Scorpio too. I don't think even Scorpio has been through any crash testing, etc. So you may get ABS, Airbags but the basic structural rigidity, crumple zones, crash absorbing, etc. may be totally absent.

Like many here say & believe "drive knowing weaknesses of vehicle & you are safe". Sorry I don't buy that statement, you could judge it by yourself.

When it comes to me, I might buy a Thar or a Scorpio but knowing that these are not safe vehicles.

I keep Scorpio/Thar in the same category as M800, Omni, Safari, Sumo, Ambassador & some more. These vehicles were never designed keeping safety in mind.

Guess we are terribly OT here. Others please don't consider this as rant against a particular brand/product but just a step to spread awareness. Ketan we could discuss this in some relevant thread at any later stage or create a new one.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:10   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red
At the risk of repeating myself, Speed is still not the issue IMHO. It's the stopping power at higher speeds. That really worries me. Cruising at 100-110 is not a issue at all from an effort perspective; The engine doesn't scream.

I completely agree with you. This vehicle is made for off-roading. It does that like no other. Can a Ferrari go off-road? No. So, let's use the thar for what it is built for. I always wear the left shoes on my left foot :-)
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:53   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
I completely agree with you. This vehicle is made for off-roading. It does that like no other.
I dont think I excels in off road situations either. It is a good compromise vehicle for a person who want to learn how to manage a 4x4
For serious offroad, it is not the vehicle
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 13:57   #2038
BHPian

Now that the Thar with AC and immobilizer has been FINALLY launched, would anybody know more details about the new color schemes? Amazon Green (XUV 500 color) and the Delhi Auto Expo's new accessories?

I REALLY wish to own the Thar straight out of the Delhi Expo.

Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 11:12   #2039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I dont think I excels in off road situations either. It is a good compromise vehicle for a person who want to learn how to manage a 4x4. For serious offroad, it is not the vehicle
Dear Vikram - OH NO, NOT AGAIN!

and .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 11:55   #2040
BHPian

Glad to know that now it finally has the A/C and Immobilizer from the factory. I checked the website and was delighted to read that 'On public demand, Thar finally get Air-conditioning & Heater..'
Guess M&M is referring us BHPians as the 'Public' hell-bent to voice their reviews.
Where there is a will - surely there will be a way

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks