Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 21:57   #2131
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Forget ABS, MM should first have TD vehicles at its dealerships. India garage (@ Bangalore) does not even have a single Thar / 4WD Scorpio for TD / visual inspection. The Sales rep shrug their shoulders / look up the sky, upon enquiry and are not at all interested in selling these two models.

W.r.t accessories . . . Less said the better. They are happy offering Sun films, Mats etc . . . Winch, Fogs etc will never make it to the MM Showrooms in the present state of affairs.

-Harshavardhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Its better of with Tharra!

For the braking part, MM should seriously consider ABS with this vehicle.
For the "lifestyle" part, MM dealerships should be equipped to offer Bull-bars, winch, ropes, fogs, shovel, net, etc.
harshavardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 22:39   #2132
BHPian

I dismissed the Thar from consideration when the shocking lack of professionalism of Mahindra dealers slapped me in the face when it came to keeping commitments to meet me for a test drive and not making obviously false and deceitful excuses for it.

you don't want to sell the vehicle badly enough to respect me by keeping your commitments or informing me in time if you can't, fine, sell it to whichever sucker to come along next to put up with your execrable behaviour. I'll find some professionals at one of the japanese companies. Toyota not being one of them, of course.

Last edited by Harbir : 20th April 2012 at 22:42.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 09:20   #2133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
w.r.t accessories, less said the better. They are happy offering Sun films, Mats etc, Winch, Fogs etc will never make it to the MM Showrooms in the present state of affairs. Harshavardhan
Dear Harshvardhan - I had provided the front overhang on Thar CRDe chassis to exactly take in an 8000 lb RAMSEY winch between the grille and the bumper with 5 mm clearance on each side in X axis. This is as per RAMSEY specification requirements. Engineering information is ready. It is very much doable as an accessory. It must not be done factory fitted as it increases the tax burden. There is also a Roll Over Bar which is supplied to South Africa. It was fitted in MH01V521. It is manufactured locally in Nasik. The Thar CRDe body shell has 14 mounting points provided in it with welded nut plates to accept this roll over bar, meeting South Africa Specifications including seat belts mounted on it so it meets South Africa seat belt specification also. Seat belt specification needs to meet a very high pulling force, it is a very stringent test as it saves lives.

This is just for your information, like this, so many things are possible on Thar and work is complete on most of them. The vehicle by its very nature lends itself to such activities for passionate customers.

I agree with you that at least test drive vehicles should be provided at dealerships. People should not look at the sky.

Dear Harbir - It is sad to read your experience, please don't give up. The vehicle is enjoyable to use, so buy it, see if you can try and ignore these shortcomings. It is a venturi you will have to pass through, I wish I could help but I cannot. Vinod, can you please help Harbir.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 09:31   #2134
BHPian

Dear Behram,

I am now looking at pajero/fortuner type vehicles as much budget has expanded and as I have the desire to be able to take 4 or 5 people on my trips to the himalayas.

however, I would still be interested in checking out the Thar to see what I think of it and whether it can make me reconsider the pajero/fortuner decision.

Thanks!
Old 27th April 2012, 23:10   #2135
BHPian

I have been an owner of a Thar CRDE for just over a year. I am not a jeeper by nature nor an offroad enthusiast. I always wanted to own a jeep at least once in my life time ( I am nudging 40 ). When a jeep came along that almost drove like a car, I went for it. Ergonomics of the Thar has been flogged to kingdom come by various people on this thread. I agree with all that they say. Ergo of the Thar is horrendous, eg. the wiper stalk. The offset steering is not so much of a problem as some people make out to be. It has rusting issues ( mine was painted under warranty ), rattling sounds from where you cannot even imagine and brake fade after around 50 km on the trot.
In my humble opinion the greatest plus this vehicle has is that it makes you feel young. Hot - yes, sweaty - yes, young - yes! People my age group are struck dumb by the fact that I go for long drives ( 650-700km round trip ) in it. I have covered close to 13000km in just over a year. The eyeball one gets while driving this vehicle has to be seen to be believed. It is a guy magnet ( the fairer sex does not seem to be too enamoured ). It is ridiculously easy to drive in town given its tall seating and the distance rickshaw wallas and other cars keep from it. My wife finds it easier to drive it compared with the swift diesel. On really smooth roads the thar can easily maintain 110+ kmph for hours together with elan. One thing that I have noticed is that every one makes way for a fast moving jeep! It is equally at home on the dirt track, it is the broken roads that gets it down. You really get thrown around on broken roads. I think that it is a pretty good compromise as far as the ride is concerned. Of course the ride improves dramatically when it is fully loaded up. For me the greatest thrill in driving the thar is when I am zipping at 120kmph on the highway, I look at the hills in the distance and realise my boy will climb those as well with aplomb!
Lot has been said about the lack of features on a 7 lac vehicle. Considering that M&M retails the basic 2wd Thar Di for close to 5 lacs, you get a scorpio engine, independent suspension, disc brakes, power steering, 235 15 tyres and 4WD for around 2 lacs more may not make it great value, but guys it is not so unreasonable as some of you make it out to be. Lack of AC is definitely an issue, but can be easily overcome by choosing to drive at cooler times of the day! Of course having an AC car as your first vehicle definitely helps ( I have a Altis petrol )!
M&M dealers are the real dregs at the bottom of the dealer barrel. The experience one gets at the dealership is unbelievable. Service is not an issue though, mainly due to the basic nature of the vehicle.
My advice to all those who are contemplating the purchase of Thar, if you are willing to sweat it out, go for it. It drives almost like a car. Almost is the keyword. You really need to have another car before you even think of purchasing a Thar. I am really happy with my purchase and whole heartedly recommend it to one and all. And no I dont work for M&M!
gopzdoc is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 22:22   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
I have been an owner of a Thar CRDE for just over a year. I am not a jeeper by nature nor an offroad enthusiast. I always wanted to own a jeep at least once in my life time ( I am nudging 40 ). When a jeep came along that almost drove like a car, I went for it. Ergonomics of the Thar has been flogged to kingdom come by various people on this thread. I agree with all that they say. Ergo of the Thar is horrendous, eg. the wiper stalk. The offset steering is not so much of a problem as some people make out to be. It has rusting issues ( mine was painted under warranty ), rattling sounds from where you cannot even imagine and brake fade after around 50 km on the trot.
How bad is the brake fade?i mean you have written that you travel in excess of 100kmph. How have you felt the braking?

Also have you faced any problems with exhaust fumes entering the cabin as some have reported!!

I am considering Thar as a complement to my Cedia. The new Thar has ac so that is not much of an issue.i have to get a hard-top though!
Old 29th April 2012, 09:39   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
I am considering Thar as a complement to my Cedia. The new Thar has ac so that is not much of an issue.i have to get a hard-top though!
Please do NOT go in for an aftermarket HT!! The dynamics of the vehicle will get compromised!

If M&M could not / did not get to do a OE HT, best is to leave it alone!!
Old 29th April 2012, 10:02   #2138
BHPian

Sorry don't agree here! Lots of BHP-ians and thar owners otherwise have got HT installed, for some its a necessary evil!

There are really good ones from Bimbras, Faazl Ali and a few more I can't recall.

Of course they won't be as good as production model HT which will be built with a budget of crores - developing a special mould for it.

And by the way, M&M does offer a HT for 1.7 lacs + taxes, I mailed the M&M customization and got that quote - and trust me that is a HT which suits your description of one which will spoil the dynamics of a great car!

I think anyone who can't live with the ST should go for the HT by various outlets for one third the price of M&M's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Please do NOT go in for an aftermarket HT!! The dynamics of the vehicle will get compromised!

madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 11:07   #2139
Senior - BHPian

If an HT costs more than 1L, you are better off with the Scorpio Lx 4x4. You get every thing - HT, AC and M Hawk. The only difference is that the Scorpio has electrical 4x4 shift while Thar has a mechanical one. If you are not going to shift under water, electrical shift is not going to hamper you.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 11:11   #2140
BHPian

M&M's ugly HT is 1lac+ others, good ones are around 35-50k.
Worth the money and scorpio is not a Jeep, no matter how much more comfortable it maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If an HT costs more than 1L, you are better off with the Scorpio Lx 4x4. You get every thing - HT, AC and M Hawk. The only difference is that the Scorpio has electrical 4x4 shift while Thar has a mechanical one. If you are not going to shift under water, electrical shift is not going to hamper you.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:22   #2141
Distinguished - BHPian

Just today saw an ad saying that hte Thar is now available with HVAC and immoboliser.
Mahindra Thar 4x4 SUV | Mahindra Jeep Bangalore Mumbai | Mahindra In Delhi Chennai
Old 30th April 2012, 16:21   #2142
BHPian

@ car freak: What I mean with brake fade is that it takes a bit more effort from you on the brake pedal to stop. Stopping distance is not affected.
Old 1st May 2012, 00:57   #2143
BHPian

@behram we are waiting for your comments on how to of brake upgrade....
Old 1st May 2012, 12:48   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
@behram we are waiting for your comments on how to of brake upgrade....
Like me, a lot of us have been asking only BD for the answers. Why are we only pestering BD?? spike has not been replying on this thread for a long while now. Some 'clear' reply from spike or vinod will also help, after all they also have some responsibility towards 'thar enthusiasts'.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:26   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Headers, i want the Hard top as in these areas, once the monsoons hit, it will be very difficult without a hard-top!!not to mention the potential security issue which hold good even without monsoons!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
@ car freak: What I mean with brake fade is that it takes a bit more effort from you on the brake pedal to stop. Stopping distance is not affected.
So i need not worry too much about the brakes!!but hoping Dhabar sir will update us on improving brakes anyways!!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed