Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 18:13   #2731
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Oh okay guys, thanks for the information
Old 12th September 2013, 23:18   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Thanks Amrisharm. That actually got me thinking. About the view from the back of the Thar and the ingress/egress of the passengers. Thats definitely a problem. I am not a big fan of scorpio so not considering that.

I dont have any kids. But in the future wont it be possible to have a forward facing seat and fix a babys seat on it?

Thats probably the best answer. Thank You. For me the offroading bit is only 10% of time so the SUV looks like a better bet.

Yeah i know..My wife is also pretty eager to get a Thar and has been indirectly hinting at all those.

Thanks for the suggestion but am not a fan of scorpio at all, neither is my wife!

Now, thats the way I love it! Thats pretty inspiring!
You like it, You buy it, You live with it! Thats the way i bought the bullet!
You are making your requirement complicated which will result in confusion.

What I gathered from your 2 posts is, Thar is in your heart but mind is coming in the way. Same happened with me 9 months ago (read my ownership thread) however I simply followed my heart, I am are happy customer and reaching 10 K kms in a weeks time.

I am using my Thar as primary vehicle (I have Maruti Estilo as well however hardly done 1000 kms after I bought Thar) which includes dropping my 1.5 yrs old toddler to daycare, then 30 kms drive to office and occasional off-roading on weekends.

All type of modifications and upgrades are possible however you have to accept the stock vehicle first, otherwise it will result in big disappointment.

You are from Pune so lets meet sometime, get the feel of my Thar and then decide
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 23:28   #2733
BHPian

Apart from other functional and cosmetic changes Mahindra made to Thar, they should have given an option of a hardtop to the buyers. A company fitted hard top will be really helpful. Its a cumbersome affair to take the vehicle to a workshop and getting the hardtop designed and fitted. Moreover, one may not find experts to do this job in all the places.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 23:43   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
You are making your requirement complicated which will result in confusion.

What I gathered from your 2 posts is, Thar is in your heart but mind is coming in the way. Same happened with me 9 months ago (read my ownership thread) however I simply followed my heart, I am are happy customer and reaching 10 K kms in a weeks time.

I am using my Thar as primary vehicle (I have Maruti Estilo as well however hardly done 1000 kms after I bought Thar) which includes dropping my 1.5 yrs old toddler to daycare, then 30 kms drive to office and occasional off-roading on weekends.

All type of modifications and upgrades are possible however you have to accept the stock vehicle first, otherwise it will result in big disappointment.

You are from Pune so lets meet sometime, get the feel of my Thar and then decide
Yes absolutely. I have zeroed in on the Thar/Ecosport/Linea T-Jet. If you can PM me your number, will call. Sadly i cant PM you or i am not able to findout how to send a PM.

Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 10:45   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not able to find pictures on the interweb. Anybody got any links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Have a look here:
As per the chart you can go up to 8.5 J alloys for tyre 245, I have 8 J alloys with stock tyre 235 and they look as well as perform awesome. However these alloys will increase track which result in water and mus splash on both sides of vehicle

I have Plati 16"/0 offset/ 8 J alloys, the look is changed totally. You can have look here.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thanks Vishal!

Last edited by ashishy : 13th September 2013 at 10:46.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:53   #2736
BHPian

I read in The Economic Times 3-4 days back that Mahindra is coming with a revision in Thar codenamed 401. Launch date: 2014.
I doubt it related to the recent minor changes.
Old 13th September 2013, 15:11   #2737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I read in The Economic Times 3-4 days back that Mahindra is coming with a revision in Thar codenamed 401. Launch date: 2014.
I doubt it related to the recent minor changes.
I really pray (till my knees bleed) that this "revision" doesn't include throwing the Quanto's 3 cylinder engine into the Thar.
I'm saving like crazy for a THAR and the engine change will practically result into me not buying a real off-roader ever...
Old 13th September 2013, 15:47   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I really pray (till my knees bleed) that this "revision" doesn't include throwing the Quanto's 3 cylinder engine into the Thar.
I'm saving like crazy for a THAR and the engine change will practically result into me not buying a real off-roader ever...
I doubt they will change the engine. Shoehorning the current 2.6 was a herculean task then. If they still do manage, pray to god that it be the mHawk & not an underpowered 3 pot.
I am still confused as to wait for the revision or go for the current avatar. Till then, let me make money
Old 15th September 2013, 11:25   #2739
BHPian

Took delivery of my Toreador Red Thar day before yesterday. Got the below accessories fitted -

1. Front OTR bumper from mahindra dealership
2. Insect mesh
3. Pioneer stereo x3590ui
4. Hella 700ff
5. Internal radio antenna
6. 12v socket
7. Hella Redgrill horns

All work done without stripping or cutting any wire. However, the electrician didn't put a relay for the fog lights or the horns. Will that work, and not drain the batterry? Can the more experienced Jeepers please provide their inputs please.
Old 15th September 2013, 11:58   #2740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Took delivery of my Toreador Red Thar day before yesterday. Got the below accessories fitted ...

However, the electrician didn't put a relay for the fog lights or the horns. Will that work, and not drain the batterry? Can the more experienced Jeepers please provide their inputs please.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the family!
Does your Thar have the new changes mentioned by Autocar - support between A and B pillars, air-con controls from the Bolero, etc?

Insofar as your query on relays is concerned, please note that relays take-away the load from the stock switches, wiring and fuse, the load on the battery/alternator remains the same.

In case of high wattage applications, use of relays is always recommended because the current goes from the battery to the horn/fog lamps/heads lights/audio amplifiers directly from the battery through a separate wire and the vehicle's switch and wiring are only used to trigger the desired action.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 16:16   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the family!
Does your Thar have the new changes mentioned by Autocar - support between

In case of high wattage applications, use of relays is always recommended because the current goes from the battery to the horn/fog lamps/heads lights/audio amplifiers directly from the battery through a separate wire and the vehicle's switch and wiring are only used to trigger the desired action.
Very rightly brought out. Relay takes the load off the vehicle OEM wiring, switch and fuse. And the original set of switch, wiring and fuse activates the relay which further connects the load too the alternator and battery.

I am running 100/90 watt bulbs and double hella horns in my Indigo for over 4 years through a relay, so far no problem.
It is advisable to put relay anytime you exceed the wattage of the OEM fittings, may it be changing the wattage of the bulbs or fitting additional electrical equipments.

Last edited by techfreak : 15th September 2013 at 16:18.
Old 15th September 2013, 17:50   #2742
BHPian

Thanks guys, posting few pictures of the new ride
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image3748197778.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image1204291524.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image3914913570.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image4080386579.jpg  

Hondaism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:19   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Thanks guys, posting few pictures of the new ride
Beautiful!

If I may ask, how much did the front bumper cost you?
It does not look like the one catalogued in the Mahindra accessory list, it rather looks like one made by Prad 4x4!
Old 15th September 2013, 20:42   #2744
AWD
BHPian

Congrats Hondaism, or now its gonna be Tharism! Btw is your vehicle the new updated Thar launched by Mahindra with a few subtle changes or the old one only?

Also did you get the front bumper from the MM dealer & is it from Mahindra accessory package or you got it from outside ?
Old 15th September 2013, 20:48   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Congrats Hondaism, or now its gonna be Tharism! Btw is your vehicle the new updated Thar launched by Mahindra with a few subtle changes or the old one only?

Also did you get the front bumper from the MM dealer & is it from Mahindra accessory package or you got it from outside ?
No it is not,i can still see the old AC controls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks