Team-BHP - Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/94711-review-1st-gen-mahindra-thar-2011-2019-a-61.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2239031)
PS- There is a MGE happening there next week.

Can the THAR dare participate in the MGE and pose a threat to others?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 2239060)
550s and 3bs are getting old and may be even those machines are getting bored :) .

A 3B with a petrol engine and proper state of tune would be fun to drive IMO :D

But lets compare apples to apples please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2239031)
What is the difference between a 2010 model Thar CRDe and 2011 model? BTW, what tyre and tyre pressures were they running, any idea?
==.

Spike, I meant 2011 model as production running model. We all understand, each new launching has teething problems, even Toyota had brake problem with Altis, as the production gets rolling things settles and small nudges are solved. I could feel that difference in Thar too. The first pics I posted of Thar 4x2 Di didn't even had The THAR badge.. For another possible example see the pic below..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 2239060)
Ym-enjn,

Thanks for sharing the pics. First time reading a thar driving experience without a "It is good,killer etc and last a "but" and lots of -VE's ". 550s and 3bs are getting old and may be even those machines are getting bored :) .

Sreejesh.

Lol.. No way Sreejesh.. Nothing in the world can take the place of the 3Bs and 550s or Classic/340 and I love them too.. but I agree, Thar bashing on this thread has crossed logical levels and to many it would appear as if there is some vested interest..

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 2239246)
===
A 3B with a petrol engine and proper state of tune would be fun to drive IMO :D

Headers.. I am a big fan of 3B and even bigger fan of 550, and agree a good 3B in right hands is a deadly machine. Even I always enjoy driving my 550 too much.. But 3Bs and 550s are now not available off the shelf but Thar is.:)

Quote:

But lets compare apples to apples please!
Sorry for that but The Thar has been compared with 3Bs and 550 earlier in this thread.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00615201102051352.jpg

Can anyone post the earlier picture posted of the same part. I am unable to find it. If I am not wrong there is some addition in the fitment of Dash. I may be wrong though..

I never told CJ500 series,CJ3B,Classic,340,MM540/550,Invader are bad.Cos I have used CJ500 From my childhood I learnt driving in CJ5004WD when I was 7 I took the jeep in to road :).After that CJ500DI then a MM540, last a Invader So I Know How they behaves on the road as well as off the road and I really respect the SWB jeeps Because they are the real Jeeps.

But lets compare apples to apples please! Because thar is not a "Jeep thing" "Its a Thar Thing".

- Sreejesh

Ah so the plate has come around the dash covering the cut off part.I was waiting for this ;)
Some more small bits and pieces would come around now that Dhabhar Sir is back to work.

Its a pity India does not have a recall policy but still its commendable that Mahindra is doing its bit by improving the car bit by bit.I don't think there would be a Ver.2 for atleast a couple of years but i bet there will be some small developments throughout the lifecycle of this jeep.As change is inevitable.
Its a good thing that mahindra slowed the delivery to make these small changes and now it seems that the wait in delivery is worth it.My initial aim of booking it in march seems to be a good decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ym-enjn (Post 2239332)
but I agree, Thar bashing on this thread has crossed logical levels and to many it would appear as if there is some vested interest..

Just curious, what are you implying here? Are you suggesting Mahindra competitors are posting anonymously in this thread?

I was wondering if an engine immobiliser/those computer generated keys tht maruti offers are part of the small changes that mahindra is making to the thar. IMO that would really change our perception of safety of an open top jeep and would be much appreciated. Moreever it is not something which can be an aftermarket fitment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manolin (Post 2239725)
I was wondering if an engine immobiliser/those computer generated keys tht maruti offers are part of the small changes that mahindra is making to the thar. IMO that would really change our perception of safety of an open top jeep and would be much appreciated. Moreever it is not something which can be an aftermarket fitment.

I think Autocop does Immobilizer key based after-market fitments. You can check that up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 2239449)
But lets compare apples to apples please! Because thar is not a "Jeep thing" "Its a Thar Thing".

Comparing it with MM550 is quite logical.. What if Thar was named “550i” then everyone would compare it with MM550 n MM Major. Isn’t it a good upgrade to both of them??

Please tell me does todays Land Cruiser run on same axle setup or gear ratios like it had in Iconic historical models?

Does todays Wrangler runs on same axle setup or gear ratios like it had in history?
But the "Jeep Thing" bit I agree, that goes only for the ledgends..:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2239563)
Just curious, what are you implying here? Are you suggesting Mahindra competitors are posting anonymously in this thread?

That’s correct Moderator Saabh, please be vigilant, whether the competitors are ‘hacking’ Team-bhp ‘IDs’.. BTW who are competitors of Thar?? Lol..

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2239454)
Its a pity India does not have a recall policy but still its commendable that Mahindra is doing its bit by improving the car bit by bit.I don't think there would be a Ver.2 for atleast a couple of years but i bet there will be some small developments throughout the lifecycle of this jeep.As change is inevitable.

I feel that is Mahindra policy.. See same way they have upped the game in Scorpio vs Safari in context of fit finish and maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ym-enjn (Post 2239869)
Comparing it with MM550 is quite logical.. What if Thar was named “550i” then everyone would compare it with MM550 n MM Major. Isn’t it a good upgrade to both of them??

Thats why M&M named it THAR and trying to make a new Brand.
Can you tell What are the things Thar shares with MM550 ?.

Quote:

Please tell me does todays Land Cruiser run on same axle setup or gear ratios like it had in Iconic historical models?

Does todays Wrangler runs on same axle setup or gear ratios like it had in history?

You missed LRs and Hummers.

Quote:

But the "Jeep Thing" bit I agree, that goes only for the ledgends..:)

Thats what I told Legends are getting old :uncontrol

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

So now that the Pete's box and Bilstien suspension is available and installed on the Thar, does anyone have a review on it?

The figures for the 2.6L scorpio seem to be impressive with the torque increasing from 255 to 305.So it'll be a real scorcher is it reaches 300NM in the Thar as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 2244540)
Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

So now that the Pete's box and Bilstien suspension is available and installed on the Thar, does anyone have a review on it?

The figures for the 2.6L scorpio seem to be impressive with the torque increasing from 255 to 305.So it'll be a real scorcher is it reaches 300NM in the Thar as well.

The below thread has some pics of the Thar mentioned above in all probability. But there is no review.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...a-5th-feb.html

My Mahindra Thar story till now…………..

Dear friends please let me know if I am in a wrong thread as this is my first post

I am a SUV enthusiast waiting from last 15 years to possess one of my own. The time has come now from past 5 months, as I have completed my basic responsibilities. I currently have 2006 Indica V2 turbo DLX and was looking to upgrade to SUV with 100+ BHP, diesel engine & 4WD. However the issue is with my parking space.
The downward entry to the basement has height constraints and a big SUV may not pass, or while getting down after the front wheel passes the roof may get scrapped. Further to reach my parking slot the vehicle has to maneuver through a small maze of pillars and along side other parked cars and then take a perpendicular right turn to park in the slot, this again is a constraint for big SUVs.

This parking situation was holding me back to go for SUV until in late Dec 2010 when MM Thar was launched, which opened my aspirations again in terms of its power, 4WD, compactness & a short turning radius.
Immediately I got in touch with India Garage st marks Rd, the person said that Thar was on display and visited the show room on 25-Dec-2010. To my surprise TD was also available, it was a smooth and short drive, drivability was fantastic in the city, just like driving a scorpio. The only drawback was the interiors, no A/c & soft top (lot of water has flown already in this thread)

I felt that for the kind of utility Thar is meant, the other aspects were only secondary or tertiary issues.
I updated the sales executive about my parking issue and asked him to get the TD Thar to my apartment and check if it manages to enter my basement and turn through the pillars to fit in the parking space.

I assured him that post this possibility I will place my booking order, for which he agreed to bring the vehicle after a week when the TD vehicle will be free.

Back of my mind I thought that I will retain my Indica and add on Thar for my long time passion, but had no information about its overall performance to assert this thought as a 15 min test drive in city gave almost zero info. Soon after reaching home searched TBHP for review or further info, but all I could get was news about Thar launch and few pics

After a week or so of my visit to show room in 2nd week of Jan 2011, I was browsing TBHP again and this time Khan & Tejas had posted a detailed review of Thar, an excellent description whatever I was searching to know and a lot more details.

With this I was convinced that Thar is the one which I should get for me and retain the Indica for compensating to what Thar lacks. I got in touch with the sales guy again to check if he can bring the vehicle to my apartment as parking space was the last block between me and Thar now.

He told that vehicle was not available to bring home and there were lot of bookings around 90, may be he can bring the TD vehicle when the delivery batch reaches, I waited till 22-Jan but no response.

Then I visited the show room again on 5 -Feb to pursue this matter, but this time he told that there is delay in delivering the booked vehicles due to production delay and also the booking has been stopped till end of March. Now there was no vehicle available to check on my parking issue, but this time I made him understand seriously that it was the only issue that is holding me from booking Thar.

On 9-Feb I got a call from the showroom by another sales person that though the bookings were closed he can arrange to take my booking on a previous date. As I was reading all the posts in this thread and was aware of the happenings with Speedy and others in getting their Thar, I told him that I will get back to him on this type of booking on a previous date.

On my part to assess the parking space I have requested my office cab driver to try this out with his Tata Sumo, as all other vehicles in my small apartment are sedans/hatchbacks. I should be getting the result by tomorrow & if it is positive the, hopefully Thar will also be able to make it.

I am confident that you all fabulous people here will definitely help me and take me forward from this present situation in bringing a Thar home and hopefully in creating a wonderful looking Thar........:)

With my sincere regards,
Dr GB

Have you tried a Scorpio in your basement parking space? From your post a Scorp seems to be a better fit.

If you love Jeep and ok with living in a Jeep then the Thar is the only one you can buy now so wait and its worth waiting. But if you are looking for an SUV then its better to look other options like Bolero or scorpio Safari etc.. Personally I don't think keeping a 2006 Indica is a good idea.

Stunning review. But abysmal vehicle. Why will anyone want to buy this poorly put together piece(s) of metal.

Oh wait a minute. People buy Bullets.

:D

Once again, stunning review. I do not think even auto mags go into so much detail as the reviewers on this post have!