Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 09:28   #1966
DKG
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Thereafter, as per my understanding, is the reserve, which is about 15-16 litres. I would then pull over at the nearest pump and tank-up again. So I would end up topping 44 to 45 litres, since I'd have 15-16 litres already in the tank. Now coming to the calculation.

I'd have covered in this duration about 780 to 800kms. That is about 18 on an average.
Why don't you divide the mileage driven between auto tank fulls by the number of litres shown in the petrol pump meter? Why do you need to make assumptions on how much is in reserve and therefore assume you are topping up 44 to 45 litres? You can arrive at a accurate mileage reading if you follow the petrol pump reading
Old 28th February 2012, 10:16   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
There is no auto cut-off in the Thar. What we have is a fuel gauge with a red marking at the end. So when the needle stick of the gauge reached this point, I was aware that I had exhausted 44-45 litres of diesel. I also knew I was left with 15-16 litres of fuel in the tank. I would top-it immediately at a nearby station and not wait till the end. Hope this answers your question.
@Trueintrepid; I would suggest you reset one of your trip-meters when you fill your tank. and the next time you fill, whenever that may be, divide the KMs run by number of liters taken to fill the tank again. This is by far the most accurate way of arriving at a kmpl for common man without any special tools. I feel your current method does not seem to be the right.

I have driven Thar close to about 20,000 kms and I can tell you not to trust the fuel gauge for getting FE of the vehicle.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:20   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no auto cut-off in the Thar. What we have is a fuel gauge with a red marking at the end. So when the needle stick of the gauge reached this point, I was aware that I had exhausted 44-45 litres of diesel. I also knew I was left with 15-16 litres of fuel in the tank. I would top-it immediately at a nearby station and not wait till the end. Hope this answers your question.
Auto cut-off is not in the Thar, but in the fuel dispenser. Did you stop adding fuel after the dispenser cut-off the fuel or did you fill the tank to the brim or did you stop after 44-45 litres of fuel?
Old 28th February 2012, 10:30   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Why don't you divide the mileage driven between auto tank fulls by the number of litres shown in the petrol pump meter? Why do you need to make assumptions on how much is in reserve and therefore assume you are topping up 44 to 45 litres? You can arrive at a accurate mileage reading if you follow the petrol pump reading

You are right. I did make the assumption based on some initial findings, which I derived following the same method you have mentioned. The very first time I did a tank-up, I noticed that it was about 44 on the petrol pump meter and thereafter reaffirmed it on subsequent tank-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@Trueintrepid; I would suggest you reset one of your trip-meters when you fill your tank. and the next time you fill, whenever that may be, divide the KMs run by number of liters taken to fill the tank again. This is by far the most accurate way of arriving at a kmpl for common man without any special tools. I feel your current method does not seem to be the right.

I have driven Thar close to about 20,000 kms and I can tell you not to trust the fuel gauge for getting FE of the vehicle.
Yes, my friend! I haven't elaborated in my previous post, but I have used the two trip-meters A&B for the total distance and interim diesel fills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Auto cut-off is not in the Thar, but in the fuel dispenser. Did you stop adding fuel after the dispenser cut-off the fuel or did you fill the tank to the brim or did you stop after 44-45 litres of fuel?

I found only a few fuel stations, mostly around the major cities having a dispenser cut-off, but for the most part of my journey, I had to tell the guy to take it easy after 43 litres. In most cases, it would be between 44 to 45. A couple of times it was in the 43 mark. The cheapest rate I paid for diesel was in the Northeast, Meghalaya, Garo Hills to be precise. I didn't go further than this.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th February 2012 at 13:17. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to quote more than one post when replying.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:47   #1970
BHPian

I think I need driving lessons here...I fight to get 9kmpl in my Thar. Usual is about 8.7 or so in city.

Have got it checked a couple of times at the A.S.S but to no avail!

But I also have to agree - I have had 5 friends who have called me about the Thar and I dissuaded them against buying it (one wanted 2) so they are now waiting to order the gypsy or the Gurkha. I really doubt I would ever buy a Mahindra vehicle again with all the problem I have had with my Thar and it has been only about 5500kms.

Last edited by manasm : 28th February 2012 at 10:49.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:55   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
I think I need driving lessons here...I fight to get 9kmpl in my Thar. Usual is about 8.7 or so in city.

Have got it checked a couple of times at the A.S.S but to no avail!
I am supposed to come to Bangalore in the near future. Will definitely want to meet up with the Thar group there. If my Thar stays the way it is, even after the second service, I will certainly let you guys do a complete check on the mileage on my Thar. I really didn't think I was getting an exceptional mileage, until I heard it from you all.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:04   #1972
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
I am aware that you are no longer with Mahindra, and in no position to make a change. But I have made a conscious decision that this will be my last Mahindra vehicle ever and will also not recommend it to any of my friends.
I am considering Thar for my next replacement. I thought you are happy with Thar, but at the end you are saying you wouldn't recommend it to anyone, why? Is it due to the inefficiency of dealers or due to Thar itself? I am ok if disappointment is due to dealer's inefficiency as I am used to it and normally do not take the vehicle to the authorized dealers after the expiry of the warranty.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:26   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am considering Thar for my next replacement. I thought you are happy with Thar, but at the end you are saying you wouldn't recommend it to anyone, why? Is it due to the inefficiency of dealers or due to Thar itself? I am ok if disappointment is due to dealer's inefficiency as I am used to it and normally do not take the vehicle to the authorized dealers after the expiry of the warranty.

I am very happy with the Thar. It has very well exceeded my expectation and to put it blankly, I trust my Thar's capability more than any other vehicle in that segment.

Now coming back to why I would not recommend it to anyone. The dealer I dealt with i.e. G3 Motors - Nerul is one hell of a liar. During my vehicle inspection in the yard, I noticed the missing logo and riveting depressions on the body sides and asked him to replace the vehicle. He promised me to have all those fixed and convinced me that these were minor issues for the vehicle to be sent back. On the day of delivery, after I had made the full payment, he showed me the vehicle as is, without any amends or logo. When I protested and refused to accept the vehicle, he again came up with another promise, which he hasn't lived up till today. My repeated calls to them have only made me realise how unscrupulous these people are. One guy even went to the extent of saying that he doesn't care what happens after the vehicle is sold. So there you have it, Mahindra is not customer friendly and don't expect them to solve your problems.

This just doesn't end there. As mentioned in a previous post, none of the service centres that I have been to so far have had people confidently solving issues of the vehicle. They grapple for answers and solutions. These guys don't know how to fix their own vehicles.

It seems to me that after BD left Mahindra, Thar has been given the lowest priority there is.
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 14:57   #1974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am very happy with the Thar. It has very well exceeded my expectation and to put it blankly, I trust my Thar's capability more than any other vehicle in that segment.

Now coming back to why I would not recommend it to anyone. The dealer I dealt with i.e. G3 Motors - Nerul is one hell of a liar. During my vehicle inspection in the yard, I noticed the missing logo and riveting depressions on the body sides and asked him to replace the vehicle. He promised me to have all those fixed and convinced me that these were minor issues for the vehicle to be sent back. On the day of delivery, after I had made the full payment, he showed me the vehicle as is, without any amends or logo. When I protested and refused to accept the vehicle, he again came up with another promise, which he hasn't lived up till today. My repeated calls to them have only made me realise how unscrupulous these people are. One guy even went to the extent of saying that he doesn't care what happens after the vehicle is sold. So there you have it, Mahindra is not customer friendly and don't expect them to solve your problems.

This just doesn't end there. As mentioned in a previous post, none of the service centres that I have been to so far have had people confidently solving issues of the vehicle. They grapple for answers and solutions. These guys don't know how to fix their own vehicles.

It seems to me that after BD left Mahindra, Thar has been given the lowest priority there is.
Dear Trueintrepid - I appreciate your comments in paragraph numbers 1,2 and 3 in your above quoted post but I completely disagree to your comment in paragraph number 4. An organization consists of a team of people who deliver the desired result. A huge organization cannot function without robust processes in place, robust both in content and systems. In your case, a clear non-conformance by some misinformed individuals seems to have occured, which needs to be corrected. I am sure somebody would have already taken action.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:41   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
hi
BD was a part of the research and development team of project Thar. He was the "resurector" of the legendary 540, in a new avatar.
I guess areas like authorized service, marketing and similar stuff will be handled by people from various teams of the marketing department. Hence, Behram's absence should be felt only in improvements or revisions in future thar versions and rather not in authorized service.
Cheers
Wild child

speaking of the thar v2, details on my wishlist are

1. 2.5 di-turbo engine, with no ECU. accelerator should be connected to the engine via a cable. Some how, that gives me a " i'm in control of the vehicle" feel. i feel as though i'm holding the reins of all the 63 horses.

2. IFS for car like feel.

3. 16" A/T shoes + flashy alloys

4. Hard top - No, not the one which was designed at M&M i saw somewhere in this thread. Something similar to the Bimbra type.

5. A bolero look a like dash board.

6. A/C

7. RPM meter

8. Provision for 2din music system

9. Both in 2wd and 4wd option

10. Tandem brake booster ( 8"+9")

11. Twin pot calipers up front ( 45+45)

12. a manual / electronic sun roof.

13. Again, company add ons like air anorkel, insect mesh, headlamp and turn indicator guard.

14. Engine immobiliser

15. LSD in a 4wd

16. Power steering , similar to the bolero's.

Cheers
wild child

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th February 2012 at 16:18. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:44   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess you got me wrong.

What I meant by auto cut off is while re fueling the vehicle, the diesel from the diesel gun filling diesel into the fuel tank stops at a point automatically, well, atleast in the metros in newer petrol pumps! Did you wait until the nozzle cut the fuel or did you stop after 44-45 litres?

Am I Clear to you sir?
Old 28th February 2012, 19:13   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guess you got me wrong.

What I meant by auto cut off is while re fueling the vehicle, the diesel from the diesel gun filling diesel into the fuel tank stops at a point automatically, well, atleast in the metros in newer petrol pumps! Did you wait until the nozzle cut the fuel or did you stop after 44-45 litres?

Am I Clear to you sir?

I have answered this in a previous post. Please scroll-up to the top of the page to find it. I checked this in every sense of the word; be it in the newer pumps in cities and elsewhere on the highway- the result was the same!
Old 29th February 2012, 06:49   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have answered this in a previous post. Please scroll-up to the top of the page to find it. I checked this in every sense of the word; be it in the newer pumps in cities and elsewhere on the highway- the result was the same!
Sir - Your method of checking FE amazes me. Guess others have already pointed out some errors in the way you check FE and fill diesel.

Anyways - to each his own
Old 29th February 2012, 08:51   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir - Your method of checking FE amazes me. Guess others have already pointed out some errors in the way you check FE and fill diesel.

Anyways - to each his own
In my defense, I only have to say that I did a total distance of 9000kms. I was doing on an average 800kms a day till I reached the hills. The very first day I covered about 780kms and reached Udaipur from Bombay. My first tank-up was at Udaipur and the pump metre showed a reading of 44 and odd. That's how I based my analysis on the red marking of the fuel gauge.

I also had a GPS with me and knew how much I had to cover on any given day and where I would stop for a refill. My calculation may seem incorrect to you, but it worked for me and it worked wonders! Saved money as well!
Old 29th February 2012, 14:56   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
hi

speaking of the thar v2, details on my wishlist are

Cheers
wild child
Called up the Mahindra Sales representative at Bangalore and Cochin.

The standard reply I got to aall of my questions was "Don't know, no information". A friendly sales representative from another showroom went on to say that a lot of customers where asking but they had not received any form of communications from Mahindra & Mahindra about the same.

Looks like it's going to be the "Wait for the Thar - Part 2"

Most Viewed