Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 22:17   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Hella horn red circle - Rs. 600 with the same Gurgaon wholesale I mentioned.

Phillips H4 bulbs ( pictures in my thread Intrepid Explorer III ) available in most Car Shingar shops for Rs. 1100 odd for a pair.

I could not find 100/140 so purchased and installed 55/60 only but the difference in the light is phenomenal.

If somebody wants it then a pair of Stanley 55 W sealed beam lights is available with a dealer in connaught place opp fire station.
Old 21st August 2014, 22:44   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Unfortunately the IRVM from Bolero is not a direct fit.
If you observe, Thar's IRVM's stalk is angled towards the driver from the windshield, and the ball socket is at the back of the mirror.
The Bolero's IRVM's stalk is not only straight but also the ball socket is at the top.
Because of this, when you fit the Bolero's IRVM in the Thar, the mirror starts touching the windshield making it difficult to adjust mirror.
I'm trying to see if something can be used as a washer to create ssome space, and then use longer bolts to secure the Bolero's IRVM on the Thar. That said, I don't know if it would lead to vibrations on the mirror!
Thanks for the information. Can you post pictures of your Bolero IRVM installation?
Old 21st August 2014, 22:58   #3078

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have been an avid follower of this forum and deeply enjoy reading your passionate discussions about various issues and modifications. In more ways than one, its encouraging to see folks still passionate about something over and above the mediocrity laced consumption we see around these days.

Well, I am almost decided to buy a new Thar CRDe for my side trips. I wanted to ask y'all about a few essential modifications and where to get those done from in or around Chandigarh?

First question is Tyres. These two come up the most?
- Maxxis Bighorn MT
- Yokohama Geolandar MT

What are the pros and cons of these tyres and how about size, 255 or stick with 245? How about AT or MT? (90 percent of my driving will be on paved roads, 10 percent on country roads, barely any off roading).

Next, bull-bar and lights. Anyone want to share experience on what is best and practical for urban use?

I want to spend minimal time with mechanics (like some of my off-road loving friends) and have a simple needs of an aesthetically appealing car that is butch to look at and fun to drive at 200-300 kms drives for two people.

Lastly, there are rumors that the Thar is being redone and a new model codenamed 401 is about to hit the market. Does anyone have any input on that and would you wait to get a new Thar or is it just rumors?

Thank you all for the great forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]
Behram Sir, Did you have any input on the upcoming 401 Thar model? If you can't quell the rumors or disclose what changes it brings - can you tell me if it's worth waiting for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Hella horn red circle - Rs. 600 with the same Gurgaon wholesale I mentioned.

Phillips H4 bulbs ( pictures in my thread Intrepid Explorer III ) available in most Car Shingar shops for Rs. 1100 odd for a pair.

I could not find 100/140 so purchased and installed 55/60 only but the difference in the light is phenomenal.

If somebody wants it then a pair of Stanley 55 W sealed beam lights is available with a dealer in connaught place opp fire station.
@desertfox are you able to put up a consolidated list of vendors for all upgrades, like the ones you mention. For someone like me, its a trip from Chandigarh and would like to be able to get all that done in 2 day trip especially for these changes. Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 22nd August 2014 at 00:27.
Old 21st August 2014, 23:36   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
Thanks for the information. Can you post pictures of your Bolero IRVM installation?
Hey I did not go ahead with installing the Bolero IRVM for lack of a "jugaad" to create some space between the mirror and the windshield. Hence my post asking if anyone has found an alternative!

Also, last I checked, Sireesh Auto on Hosur road, Bangalore did have Bolero IRVM in stock should you want to give it a try and see if you can figure something out to make it work
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:35   #3080
BHPian

Dear All, While I would post a ownership thread later, I just wanted to share the PRI (Pre-registration inspection) on my Red Thar. I will list down what all I checked as It may help other new jeepers like me. Experienced Jeepers can add to this list to make it even better.

I had an appointment with Mahindra Dealer and was on time
Asked the vehicle to put in a Shade to make it comfortable
Mileage - 67 kms
Outer body check for dent and rust - OK
Door Alignments - OK
Proper Door Swings and Shut - OK
Rubber beading on doors - OK
Door Locks with Key - OK
Door Locks with small pull lever - OK
Open Bonnet, Close bonnet - OK
Bonnet Locks, Rust - OK
Engine Compartment, wires neatly tied up - OK
All liquid cans and lids - OK
Battery Terminals - OK
Coolant, wiper/washer, Power steering, Brake, Engine Oil - OK
Bonnet Seating - OK
Glove box, open, close - OK
Windows - UP/Down, lever - OK
Inside door levers, handle - OK
Windshield Wiper operation - OK
Wiper Blade - OK
Beadings around Lights - OK
Foot Steps - OK
Bumpers - OK
Tyres, nuts and Wheel cover - OK
Exhaust pipe and fitment - OK
Steering Wheel position and alignment - OK
Check Switches (light, Wiper lever) - OK
Gear Lever (regular and 4X4) - OK
4X4 gear operation - OK
Check brakes OK
Check Seats for visual damage - OK
Check Seat Belts - OK
Check Seats Shake/Noise - Noise on Driver, Tough to move on Passenger
Check Targa Band, fitting - OK
Check Dash board, meters operation - All lights OK, meters OK
Check Hand brake lever - OK, lights up and off
Check floor mats - OK
Check floor - OK
Check Headlight, Indicators, parking light, dim, dip, number plate light - OK
Check Soft top - OK
Start Engine check
Abnormal noise - NO, OK
A/C, Thermostat cut off - OK
A/C knobs - OK
Check for any A/C leakages - OK
Open BONNET
Check for leakages - All OK, except.....
COOLANT - leakage (photo attached) - I can see visible drops dripping from the tube which goes into the dash/cabin (as many would expect) due to loose clamp, I guess. Since they drove the vehicle with that, I think the heavy air circulation inside the engine bay made the drops to spray in the engine compartment .- While they would check it thoroughly, I hope my assumption is right and it is a small clamp problem.

No other leakages
Engine oil lamp, batter charging lamp, hand brake lamp, high beam lamp - ALL OK
Spare Tyre nuts - OK

I have noted these three complaints, Coolant leakage, Driver and Passenger seat issues and they have promised to rectify the same before taking the vehicle for Registration (Monday August 25, 2014). This is the best I could do with my limited knowledge and leave the rest to luck

I am doing the insurance directly from Tata- AIG using my NCB 50% and I have got the Engine and Chassis number verified for August 2014 manufacturing dates.

Hope they will resolve these three issues satisfactorily. I am very thankful to all our members in Team-BHP for their invaluable inputs which helped me do the PRI with confidence. I will keep you posted on delivery

The vehicle looked great.

Swami
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-coolant1.jpg  

Last edited by swami69 : 22nd August 2014 at 12:58. Reason: additions
swami69 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:42   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I own a Jeep restored from the old army jeeps bought in 1976. Its still with me and was my forst car when i entered college. Am looking to get a Mahindra Thar as it would provide me good performance, gearbox and air conditioner. Am not into hard core off roading. I wanted to ask the owners how good is the air conditioner and is the soft top able to keep out water when it rains effectively.
I love driving my jeep with the windscreen down. Looks like that's not possible in the thar. But i would like to know how easy is it to install and uninstall the Soft top for those pleasant days when one wants a wind in the hair experience.
In June’14 I did a 2000km round trip from Gurgaon to Bandhavgarh in my 2013 Thar which is a soft top, will respond to all your points :
1. Performance – I have a few extra horses under the bonnet (RD dieseltronics box ), and with it the performance was mind blowing. Just to test the limits of the vehicle (for speed handling) I tested it on the Jaypee Noida – Agra expressway, I touched 150 Kmph with ease, however only for a second or two as my nerves got the better of me. Crusing at 110-120 was relatively easy on good roads, however on bad roads you need to be little careful as it bounces all over the place (Jeep Thing).
2. Gearbox – Initial 10,000 Km it was a bit nothcy however now at the ODO reading 20,000 Km it works like a dream, never have had the need to force the gears
3. Air Conditioner – Before my trip I had an internal partition built behind the front 2 seats, with that in place the front 2 seats were chilled. No problems at all. However, with no partition it is not the same and can barely do the job in peak delhi summers. In the summer evenings and nights however it becomes sooper cold.
4. Weather –After crossing Orchha (MP) all hell broke loose and the rain gods let it rip. 100Kmph winds with blistering rain. Not a drop of water got in, well almost none other than the few drops which came in because my wife left the window open by a mm.
Only thing which went wrong during the whole trip was that one of the bow shackles on the bumper fell off, thanks to the bad roads after Orchha(MP). Otherwise, the vehicle was formidable, no issue whatsoever.

Oh, and the last thing. Taking the soft top down and backup again is a daunting task which will take at least 3-4 hours with at least 2 people on the job.

Hope this helps.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:47   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I own a Jeep restored from the old army jeeps bought in 1976. Its still with me and was my forst car when i entered college. Am looking to get a Mahindra Thar as it would provide me good performance, gearbox and air conditioner. Am not into hard core off roading. I wanted to ask the owners how good is the air conditioner and is the soft top able to keep out water when it rains effectively.
I love driving my jeep with the windscreen down. Looks like that's not possible in the thar. But i would like to know how easy is it to install and uninstall the Soft top for those pleasant days when one wants a wind in the hair experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Dear All, While I would post a ownership thread later, I just wanted to share the PRI (Pre-registration inspection) on my Red Thar. I will list down what all I checked as It may help other new jeepers like me. Experienced Jeepers can add to this list to make it even better.

I had an appointment with Mahindra Dealer and was on time
Asked the vehicle to put in a Shade to make it comfortable
Mileage - 67 kms
Outer body check for dent and rust - OK
Door Alignments - OK
Proper Door Swings and Shut - OK
Rubber beading on doors - OK
Door Locks with Key - OK
Door Locks with small pull lever - OK
Open Bonnet, Close bonnet - OK
Bonnet Locks, Rust - OK
Engine Compartment, wires neatly tied up - OK
All liquid cans and lids - OK
Battery Terminals - OK
Coolant, wiper/washer, Power steering, Brake, Engine Oil - OK
Bonnet Seating - OK
Glove box, open, close - OK
Windows - UP/Down, lever - OK
Inside door levers, handle - OK
Windshield Wiper operation - OK
Wiper Blade - OK
Beadings around Lights - OK
Foot Steps - OK
Bumpers - OK
Tyres, nuts and Wheel cover - OK
Exhaust pipe and fitment - OK
Steering Wheel position and alignment - OK
Check Switches (light, Wiper lever) - OK
Gear Lever (regular and 4X4) - OK
4X4 gear operation - OK
Check brakes OK
Check Seats for visual damage - OK
Check Seat Belts - OK
Check Seats Shake/Noise - Noise on Driver, Tough to move on Passenger
Check Targa Band, fitting - OK
Check Dash board, meters operation - All lights OK, meters OK
Check Hand brake lever - OK, lights up and off
Check floor mats - OK
Check floor - OK
Check Headlight, Indicators, parking light, dim, dip, number plate light - OK
Check Soft top - OK
Start Engine check
Abnormal noise - NO, OK
A/C, Thermostat cut off - OK
A/C knobs - OK
Check for any A/C leakages - OK
Open BONNET
Check for leakages - All OK, except.....
COOLANT - leakage (photo attached) - I can see visible drops dripping from the tube which goes into the dash/cabin (as many would expect) due to loose clamp, I guess. Since they drove the vehicle with that, I think the heavy air circulation inside the engine bay made the drops to spray in the engine compartment .- While they would check it thoroughly, I hope my assumption is right and it is a small clamp problem.

No other leakages
Engine oil lamp, batter charging lamp, hand brake lamp, high beam lamp - ALL OK
Spare Tyre nuts - OK

I have noted these three complaints, Coolant leakage, Driver and Passenger seat issues and they have promised to rectify the same before taking the vehicle for Registration (Monday August 25, 2014). This is the best I could do with my limited knowledge and leave the rest to luck

I am doing the insurance directly from Tata- AIG using my NCB 50% and I have got the Engine and Chassis number verified for August 2014 manufacturing dates.

Hope they will resolve these three issues satisfactorily. I am very thankful to all our members in Team-BHP for their invaluable inputs which helped me do the PRI with confidence. I will keep you posted on delivery

The vehicle looked great.

Swami
Very extensive list however i would like to add one detailed canopy test to be done during PDI, as this is not easy to perform and the canopy costs around Rs15-20k.

Ask the dealership guys to take the vehicle to their service center and spray the canopy with the water (high pressure) from the top. This is the only way to thoroughly check for leakage and by doing this you will ensure that you wont need to apply puncture seals to the canopy or spend Rs 20k for a new one, as this is not covered in the vehicle warranty.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:44   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Hey I did not go ahead with installing the Bolero IRVM for lack of a "jugaad" to create some space between the mirror and the windshield. Hence my post asking if anyone has found an alternative!

Also, last I checked, Sireesh Auto on Hosur road, Bangalore did have Bolero IRVM in stock should you want to give it a try and see if you can figure something out to make it work
Neat! I've after them for a while. I'll check it out next week and let you know.
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:16   #3084
Team-BHP Support

I recently did a 2000 km trips in the hills of Sikkim in my friends Thar which has been immaculately maintained and done 40K kilometers. My verdict after the drive is that it is an absolutely jugaad vehicle and confirms the fact not to judge a book by its cover. There are obviously some good points like the power under the hood and the ease of maneuverability on the narrow hill roads, offroading capability, the killer looks etc, but for a price of 8.5 lacs on road a lot more is expected. In its stock form it is death trap with all those jutting nuts, leaking roof, horrible ride and what not... Sorry to all the owners and potential owners, but I have been highly disappointed. Before the trip I had almost convinced my wife that the next vehicle might be a Thar, but now that proposition has been thrown out of the window.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:55   #3085
Senior - BHPian

@BlackPearl : Would you compare it to be as good as your Bolero?
Old 23rd August 2014, 02:30   #3086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
@BlackPearl : Would you compare it to be as good as your Bolero?
The Thar has better front seat comfort, better turning radius and higher cruising speed than my Bolero but on the flip side the steering is vague and feels disconnected, the brakes are horrible, the front end bounces under braking, the entire vehicle rattles, nuts and bolts are jutting out causing injury, rear ride quality is worse compared to the Bolero. Having said that, the Bolero will be my first and last Mahindra vehicle, at least till the time Mahindra can prove that it is at par with the Japanese manufacturers.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:28   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Swami69 - do not attempt to tighten these third rate Mahindra supplied clamps. Go t a Maruti genuine parts dealer, buy two zen clamps for Rs. 30 and replace them.

You are lucky that your Thar came with relatively little problems. expect various kinds of sounds from the canopy and door seal rubber openings soon.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:29   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Is the quality of glass used in a Thar inferior to Scorpio and even a Bolero ? Why is so much glare and reflection in it ?
Old 24th August 2014, 09:39   #3089
BHPian

Hi desertfox, i agree, on the face of it, after thoroughly checking, it seems not to have any issues. I am sure, things will crop up once I start driving it. The coolant leakage has been arrested as per ASC and they did a good test drive of the vehicle. I have not seen it yet and I will take delivery this coming week. I hope for the best

Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Swami69 - do not attempt to tighten these third rate Mahindra supplied clamps. Go t a Maruti genuine parts dealer, buy two zen clamps for Rs. 30 and replace them.

You are lucky that your Thar came with relatively little problems. expect various kinds of sounds from the canopy and door seal rubber openings soon.
Old 24th August 2014, 16:38   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Lastly, if the purpose of buying the jeep is only to look cool and macho etc, then one must at least get some counseling before they put in their money to avoid regrets. Just coz it's available off the shelf doesn't mean it's going to suit your needs in entirety.
This quote might change many minds and hearts since the people who are not close to off roads will buy it for sheer pleasure and look different

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks