Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed

Dilemmas- It is the one word that can be used a substitute for my car search process.

My father’s dream of getting a car for him didn’t quite work out due to various commitments. A never ending faith landed him with a 1994 FIAT premier padmini at the age of 55. We loved the vehicle. It was also a platform for me to learn driving. After 3 years of driving it we decided to get a new one for me.

D1: A compact hatchback or Mid size Hatch back? (Sedan was out of budget since I wanted a car with atleast ABS)
A compact hatchback would mean less burden on my finances was my parent’s opinion.

Breaking Point: Right from my childhood starting from bicycle to my bike, nothing happened according to my taste. So this time it was complete freedom. And I wanted to get a car of my taste before marriage(if that happens- that’s a different philosophy) since I didn’t want to end up with inputs and commitments from various angles. Since we still have the padmini with us, a reliable vehicle with like a life of more than 15 years was my choice.

D2: Petrol or Diesel.
With reading various articles about the greatest debate of mankind inclined towards fuel, I chose Diesel

Breaking Point: I am kind of this angry young man as called by my friends. I vent my anger by taking a really long drive in my bike till it subsides. I took my bike to Dindivanam and almost Pondicherry for a family feud which is like more than 100 kms(One way) from Chennai. I came back to office and worked for 9 hours after that. Venting on roads would encompass a serene drive.
And another incident made it upto Sriperambadhur for office tension. This is the west of Chennai.
Not just for venting but in general I am very much inclined towards traveling. It was kind of an escape from the clutches of mundane life. So it was Diesel. And I am not the racy kind on signals either. I would have loved to have Prius had it been affordable.

D3: Which Car?
Since I was used to drive Padmini in Chennai city my muscle memory was inclined towards this attribute called sturdiness.
It was Bolero Storm for a really long time.
Fiat Punto
Ford Figo

Bolero Storm: Budget and Daily commuting was the only problem. But it will be in my garage one fine day.

Ford Figo and Fiat Punto

D3.1: This was really tough. I had to eat sleep and drink a lot of team bhp reviews for this. Ended up with my manager complaining about my internet time at working hours.

Both:
Fantastic vehicles.
Nice steering feel
Nice pick up on the Figo
Less NVH on the Figo.
Sturdiness including the thud feel on the Punto.
ABS and Airbag came coupled in the Figo(Didn’t like it).
Punto emotion with ABS.

Breaking Point:
ABS Airbag coupled feature.
Comparatively taller stance in the Punto.
Safe feeling in the Punto.

I am not sure whether I should be comparing both these vehicles. It is my personal opinion. Please do not start a debate with a platform of the same.

So finally caught hold of GP MJD Emotion.

D4: Color
I booked a medium grey. Parents got in here and confused me to BNW. Tempted I changed it to BNW. I saw a Medium grey on road and changed the booking to Medium grey. The service guys lost their cool this time. After a mutual cajoling session it came down to Medium grey. I wanted to car to be simple and clean all the time. Red and White were too flashy for me.

Breaking Point: Gut feeling.

Booking took place on Nov 4th. Delivery on Dec1st due to umpteen color changes.

Price : The On Road Price was INR 640000

Total KMS driven in one month: 5000 and odd kms.
Yet to come.
First service report

Ownership Report:

Since it is already 5000 kms on the ODO within a month, it very well asserts the fact that I am enjoying my drives in the Grande Punto. Since I am used to driving Premier Padmini all the time in and around Chennai my positives may not be in par with the new generation cars running around nowadays.

Positives:

Very Good Frontal View:
There are very few cars that made me feel comfortable and helped me drive without an ounce of fear after Padmini. Cars include GP, Swift and Figo. The height adjustment is definitely a boon in the emotion variant.

Driver Friendly DashBoard:
The dashboard has this slight inclination towards the driver which makes the reach ability easier and appears solid from the inside.

Handling:
I am not sure of the definition of handling. Nevertheless high speed turns not only felt safe and stable but also extreme fun.

Steering:
Loved the steering feel literally, but since I am used to driving the big and no power steering wheel, I found the leap of difference in modern power steering awesome.

Looks:
Enough has been said about this. However I love the silver grill combination on the grey body. Appears classy if kept clean. Reminds me of Aston Martin that Daniel Craig drives.

Boot:
280 litres is definitely a boon coupled with the 60 40 split seats which came in handy when we were carrying a big wooden shoe box for a 3 passenger travel.

The inevitable thud feeling

The passenger side air bag portion in the E+ used as a storage in Emotion variant.

Passenger side air bag on off switch in the E+ variant(Doesn’t apply to me).

The lower iron sheet covering the engine body was very mush useful at several occasions.

Auto Up power window for the driver alone sounds safe.

Negatives:
  • Couple of iron rails where the frontal seat moves, is sharp and dangerous for the rear passenger. My friend had a slight damage when the car went overboard.
  • Bottle holders apply only for 500 ml bottles.
  • Speed alarm sounds audible for the passenger more than the driver.
  • The thick A pillar:
This is definitely a bane. Even the quarter glass kept to compensate does not solve the purpose.
  • The stereo off button needs to be pressed for 3 seconds or more.
  • NVH levels scared me when I did the PDI of the vehicle. It sounds really fine after 3000 kms.
  • The missing blower alone. My friend with Santro came up with this. May I am not sure how to put only the air inflow without AC.
  • Considerable power loss in the AC mode. Not much difference in the change of levels but.
  • Head lights not very sufficient.
  • Stereo sounds OK in the jazz mode.
  • The controls for lights comes in the left so I wont be able to engage the gear at the same time flash the lights while overtaking.
  • The light controls are very sensitive that while flashing my friend actually put it off scaring everyone of us.
Mileage: The highest was 26.4 kmpl(I seriously doubt this) when driven with 90 kmph range in the Bangalore-Chennai Highway
19 to 20 in trip from Chennai to Goa(Bangalore-shimoga-honavar-kumta-karwar-Goa)

Top speed:
140 kmph(After 3000 kms service) and the steering was rock solid.
Yet to come:
First Service Report.

Questions to Team BHP/Members:

1.I am using Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner and Sonax car wash shampoo. Is it fine?
2.Which tyre polish should I go for. Is Wurth a good product?
3.Whenever I apply handbrake after a long drive I get this little burning smell.Is it normal?
4.Should I go for anti rust underbody coating. If yes which vendor? Service centre charges INR 4000 for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed-dsc02554.jpg  

Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed-dsc02640.jpg  

Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed-dsc02647.jpg  

Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed-dsc02649.jpg  

Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed-dsc02651.jpg  

Rubbertramps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 13:26   #2
BANNED

re: Took off with Grande Punto MJD EDIT : Tyres changed

Congrats buddy! Great review and pictures. Hope you have many miles of happy ownership!
Old 6th January 2011, 14:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
ABS and Airbag came coupled in the Figo(Didn’t like it).
WHY?!?! I ask.
That's supposed to be safer.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:28   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the new car buddy. You must have really enjoyed driving the car on the highways. I have the exact same variant in white color. I have given my comments on some of your points below.

Quote:
This is one of the negative points of the car. The bottle and cup holders are useless. I use the front seat back-pockets for holding larger bottles.

Quote:
  • NVH levels scared me when I did the PDI of the vehicle. It sounds really fine after 3000 kms.
I agree with you on this. Initially, the car used to make so much noise that I thought of doing something to reduce it. But, after first service, the noise levels have come down considerably. I think it will be even better when we log more kms.

Quote:
  • The missing blower alone. My friend with Santro came up with this. May I am not sure how to put only the air inflow without AC.
You have to press the rotary knob controlling the blower speed to turn off the ac and use the blower alone. The knob doubles up as a switch for the ac.

Quote:
  • The controls for lights comes in the left so I wont be able to engage the gear at the same time flash the lights while overtaking.
I have felt the same thing. Unfortunately, no solution for this. Have to get used to this.

Quote:
  • The light controls are very sensitive that while flashing my friend actually put it off scaring everyone of us.
The exact same thing happened with me. I don't why they have to make it so sensitive. Nowadays, I am very careful while flashing the headlights.

Quote:

4.Should I go for anti rust underbody coating. If yes which vendor? Service centre charges INR 4000 for the same.
During my first service, the SA asked me to get a anti rust underbody coating. He told me that there was some offer and the charges are somewhere around Rs.2500. I refused it as I drive the car in Bangalore most of the time. I think it is recommended for people using the cars in the coastal regions. Better get some advice from the gurus here on the forum.

Enjoy the car and drive safe .
Old 6th January 2011, 14:34   #5
BHPian

Rubbertramps,

Congrats for this train like a rock and a happy New Year !!!

Punto will surely make you a decent photographer if not good. Take whatever camera you have and go for a ride far from city and click this beauty, throwing all your imaginations. Let it be a treat to all our TEAM BHP focks...

Happy driving and wishing you a great shoot
Old 6th January 2011, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Negatives:
  • Couple of iron rails where the frontal seat moves, is sharp and dangerous for the rear passenger. My friend had a slight damage when the car went overboard.
  • Speed alarm sounds audible for the passenger more than the driver.
  • The thick A pillar:
This is definitely a bane. Even the quarter glass kept to compensate does not solve the purpose.
  • The stereo off button needs to be pressed for 3 seconds or more.
  • Considerable power loss in the AC mode. Not much difference in the change of levels but.
  • Head lights not very sufficient.
  • Stereo sounds OK in the jazz mode.
. ..
Congrats on the GP.

The loudness of the speed beep can be set in the My car settings.

The switching off of the headlights when switching between low & High beam is a very irritating issue. I actually found the whole low/high switching mechanism itself a little odd.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th January 2011 at 14:56.
Old 6th January 2011, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Congratulations Rubbertramp on your New Acquisition. Looks like you are more on Punto than at home after FIAT handed over its key. The last pic with the reflection of the Sun set on FIAT is awesome. Nice Thread.

Hope you have many miles of happy ownership.
Old 6th January 2011, 18:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey!
Hearty congratulations for your new "Emotion"! Nice colour. Some interior pictures as well please...

Wishing you and your family unlimited happy and safe miles with the Punto.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2011, 18:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
WHY?!?! I ask.
That's supposed to be safer.
Absolutely. But i was not very much interested towards the air bag thing. It has many hidden attributes to it which still needs to evolve a long way in India. Its just my thought.
Old 6th January 2011, 19:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats

Quote:
It has many hidden attributes to it which still needs to evolve a long way in India.
I wonder what hidden attributes does an airbag has which needs to be evolved?
Old 6th January 2011, 21:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Congrats

I wonder what hidden attributes does an airbag has which needs to be evolved?
No wonder Adam went behind the Forbidden Fruit.

I take back my statement. Would you believe if i'd say it was a typo error.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:40   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Medium grey is the only color that I was used to so far. I had two bikes and both of them were of this shade.

Eagarly waiting to see some more pics of your car... especially its interiors. Wish you a happy driving.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

WOW, one more proud owner of Punto.
Congrats .

Bdw you got the delivered on december, did you manage to get any year end discounts and any other discounts or offers as such .
Old 7th January 2011, 18:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
WOW, one more proud owner of Punto.
Congrats .

Bdw you got the delivered on december, did you manage to get any year end discounts and any other discounts or offers as such .

No. I booked it before Diwali hoping to get some discount on the lines of Festive season and Year End. Nothing came up.
Old 7th January 2011, 21:38   #15
BANNED

Have you had any ground clearance issues so far?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks