Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 11:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: 2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for the excellent review. A pleasant surprise indeed

Is the silver finish on the dashboard a standard option, or one among the various interior trims available? Remember seeing wood-finish in some pictures.
And one point I noticed from the Volvo website was the difference in Insurance premium quoted (in comparison with similar models. Here is the link to my post in an earlier XC60 thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2173879
Old 19th January 2011, 12:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Review DerAlte.

Volvo might not have the badge value comparable to its German and British competition but XC60 comes at a very tempting price with all the the safety gadgetry available in world, I read somewhere this is world's safest car. I like Volvo's new design language, they look much more youthful and appealing compared the previous designs.

Only if they had a Diesel to match the performance of the Audi Q5.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th January 2011 at 12:18.
Old 19th January 2011, 21:12   #18
BHPian

Nice review DerAlte. I don't know if it is just me, but the pics appear to be a bit grainy.

About the vehicle, when a person usually spends 40+ lakhs, Volvo is a name which seldom comes to their minds. For the layman Indian, a Volvo is nothing more than a bus. Volvo first and foremost needs to work on their marketing and build up a name. The car is phenomenal and I'd love to see it on roads.

Cheers!

Cartman.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:46   #19
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review! Good effort by Volvo to launch this car fully-loaded in India, but i personally feel people will still prefer the Audi Q5 in that segment.A couple of questions -
1) What are the 0 - 100 timings of this car?
2) What fuel efficiency you managed during the drive?
3) Any idea what colour options are offered in India?
Old 19th January 2011, 23:05   #20
BHPian

Its really nice to see a Volvo being reviewed here for few reasons which i cannot disclose in this forum as i would incur wrath from my bosses (It happened when i introduced myself on this forum and i was asked to take down some information related to my work from my boss ) ;-) Its a really nice car and i have been driving it currently in Stuttgart for past 4 months.It has plenty of safety features some of which are really unique.One small correction though.City safety works for speed below 30kph and not 50 kph.Also here is a press event video where the system failed to react.Damn funny !! It happened 2 times during different press events.So driver cannot blindly rely on it.Its just a collission mitigation system.

Old 20th January 2011, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great review. Was always wondeing which is the car in 3 Idiots. Knew it was a Volvo but not the other details.

Personally do not like the tilted center console. Feel it distorts the symmetry and the cabin appearance. But i think it has the utility of easier access to all the myriad buttons on it.

City Safety System is awesome.

The attention to detail - typical of Germans. Clip to hold toll tickets. Like it.

Volvo has any plans of manufacturing in India?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Great review. Was always wondeing which is the car in 3 Idiots. Knew it was a Volvo but not the other details.

Personally do not like the tilted center console. Feel it distorts the symmetry and the cabin appearance. But i think it has the utility of easier access to all the myriad buttons on it.

City Safety System is awesome.

The attention to detail - typical of Germans. Clip to hold toll tickets. Like it.

Volvo has any plans of manufacturing in India?

The car in 3 Idiots was the XC90, this is the XC60, the smaller sibling. I particularly found the tilted centre console ergonomically very good, all the buttons falling easily to hand.

I did try the City Safety in traffic and I must it quite does the job. I admit the beeper caught me unaware on a couple of occasions.

For the info the Volvo is not German, its a marque from Sweden. And according to me Volvos needs to get a larger dealer network in place before it can think about setting up a manufacturing facility in the country
Old 20th January 2011, 11:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
For the info the Volvo is not German, its a marque from Sweden. And according to me Volvos needs to get a larger dealer network in place before it can think about setting up a manufacturing facility in the country
Thanks Dippy for correcting me. My ignorance is public now
Old 20th January 2011, 11:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The car in 3 Idiots was the XC90, this is the XC60, the smaller sibling. I particularly found the tilted centre console ergonomically very good, all the buttons falling easily to hand.

I did try the City Safety in traffic and I must it quite does the job. I admit the beeper caught me unaware on a couple of occasions.
I also found the tilted centre console very driver friendly.

Since you have tested this extensively, how did the City Safety work real-time in our traffic - Especially with the autos and mobikes occupying every available space between two cars?
Old 20th January 2011, 15:42   #25
BANNED

BRILLIANT REVIEW GUYS!!

you have covered all the points one would have to review from end to end!

i wish the same could be said of the product and dealer network! :(
Old 20th January 2011, 23:04   #26

@ DerAlte: Thanks for the wonderful and detailed review.

The XC60 may end up being a game changer for Volvo in India. It sure is better looking than its elder sibling, the XC90. However, the sparse Volvo dealer network may end up hurting the immidiate prospects of this car in our country.
Old 20th January 2011, 23:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
... which i cannot disclose in this forum as i would incur wrath from my bosses ...
LOL Well, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say! Wo bist du, im Feuerbach oder Schwieberdingen? Sag mal Gruss Gott an die Kollegen. I love the "Mare's Garden"! Aah, fond memories.

Quote:
... It happened 2 times during different press events.So driver cannot blindly rely on it.Its just a collission mitigation system. ...
Are you sure this was at Press events? Where? Honestly, I don't think any car company would do such a boo-boo, however brave, of running into the backside of trucks at Press events. They normally use an opaque inflatable as a collision target.

But you are right, any such system can at best be a mitigation measure, not a replacement for human alertness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran torino View Post
... sparse Volvo dealer network ...
They should be 16 strong this year some time. That is not bad at all for the segment & regions they are targeting.

Last edited by DerAlte : 20th January 2011 at 23:22.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

They should be 16 strong this year some time. That is not bad at all for the segment & regions they are targeting.
That is really good to hear. Volvo sure is moving aggresively, if these numbers are to materialize in the coming months.

With the new design philosophy adopted by Volvo, they seem to be in a tearing hurry to get rid of the boxy "made for Soccer Moms" image their cars have had for the last couple of decades.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd January 2011 at 00:50. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 21st January 2011, 07:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
i wish the same could be said of the product and dealer network! :(
Well, I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with the product

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Thats indeed a good move by Volvo. And I read somewhere that they are trying to shed off the premium image and project a more realistic image of mass market player.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also here is a press event video where the system failed to react.Damn funny !! It happened 2 times during different press events.So driver cannot blindly rely on it.Its just a collission mitigation system.
Well it seems you haven't read the full story They forgot to turn on the automatic collision avoidance system in the first test! Lol..and in another such test Volvo claims that a technical failure (low battery) was the culprit

Most Viewed