Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 19:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Skoda Fabia 1.6!

Quote:
This white paper states (among other things) "...Numerous crash data statistical analyses conducted over the past few years suggest that, for automobiles, the introduction of four-wheel antilock brake systems (ABS) has produced net safety benefits much lower than originally expected. The studies indicate that the apparent increase in single-vehicle crashes involving passenger cars equipped with four-wheel ABS almost completely offsets the safety advantage such vehicles have over their conventionally-braked counterparts..."
As opposed to being a help in wet roads, gravelly roads and so on, ABS can actually increase the braking distance slightly in normal conditions.

There is a psychological element here where a driver with an ABS can actually increase the risk factor by reducing the gap between their vehicle and the one ahead of it significantly.

Coming to other missing features like rear power windows, I feel that these should be an option even on basic models since a high percentage of cars in India are chauffeur driven.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:25   #77
BHPian

Gentlemen, I suggest we keep the ABS debate for the right thread. I tend to agree with the statement that drivers tend to take more risks with ABS than without.

On the power windows at the back being optional on all cars in concerned, I guess the automakers have to find someway to sell the top end trim else it could be like toppings on a Margherita - they need to create some standardization on their production lines!

And for todays dose of sensationalism - got 9KMPL on the way to work today...hehehehehe
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:36   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
@iSpoke - ABS is always going to be a debate, as is Auto V Manual. Just test drive the lot and see what works best for you. In terms of diesel cars, please understand that it will take a long time and a lot of driving to make up for the additional cost. Also, you said the Elegance misses ABS etc, which Im sure is a typo- because its the Classic & Ambiente that misses out on this!
sorry, that was a typo. [I made that non-existing hybrid car Ambient + Elegance = Elegant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
Gentlemen, I suggest we keep the ABS debate for the right thread. I tend to agree with the statement that drivers tend to take more risks with ABS than without.

On the power windows at the back being optional on all cars in concerned, I guess the automakers have to find someway to sell the top end trim else it could be like toppings on a Margherita - they need to create some standardization on their production lines!

And for todays dose of sensationalism - got 9KMPL on the way to work today...hehehehehe
No debate no ABS here.
(You might have forgot by this time, I still remember what you keep in boot!)
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:46   #79
BHPian

here is a useful link to decode the three letter VAG codes for optional equipment in skoda vehicles..
octinfo.com - Škoda Octavia info

the site also decodes VIN data on the fly.. most useful being the month/year of manufacture.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
here is a useful link to decode the three letter VAG codes for optional equipment in skoda vehicles..

the site also decodes VIN data on the fly.. most useful being the month/year of manufacture.
Thanks Raj, Im sure that will come in handy for us.

@iSpoke - Who even needs ABS when you got the slugger in the boot eh?
Old 24th February 2011, 09:21   #81
BHPian

It appears that anti-theft alarm is not part of standard equipment even on fabia elegance trim. It is possible to retrofit one?
Old 24th February 2011, 11:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
It appears that anti-theft alarm is not part of standard equipment even on fabia elegance trim. It is possible to retrofit one?
Im sure it is however, I would recommend that you check with your dealer if they would do it for you. I am assuming you have opted for Skoda Shield and any upgrades or changes could impact your warranty.

I just get the feeling no one would want to steal a fabia - what with it being a dud and all that!
Old 27th February 2011, 16:50   #83
BHPian

What's the latest on your ICE upgrade project? Info would be useful for rest of us.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^^ I had put in a request on carwale for a quote. They in turn forwarded this to Europa.
So, far my experience with Skoda has not been positive. I had scheduled the test drive two days in advance, yet on that day, they were unable to arrange for a car - not very professional.
The spares are still very expensive. Skoda monogram is about Rs. 3000. Painting a door is about Rs. 7000 (these are rates that my friend was quoted for his Fabia).
I will insist on detailed spare part pricing information before I proceed further with Skoda.
I got a test drive of the Fabia diesel Elegance variant from Asset Auto-Pune. The sales chap, Sanket is very knowledgeable & courteous. They have quoted 6.80 on-road price (10k corporate discount) for the 1.6. I can forward you their contact numbers incase you are interested in the Fabia.
As for the spares pricing, the info you have is incorrect. Skoda has actually reduced the prices of spare-parts. Specifically, the logo costs only around Rs.800 now as opposed to the Rs.2000 something price earlier.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I got a test drive of the Fabia diesel Elegance variant from Asset Auto-Pune. The sales chap, Sanket is very knowledgeable & courteous. They have quoted 6.80 on-road price (10k corporate discount) for the 1.6. I can forward you their contact numbers incase you are interested in the Fabia.
As for the spares pricing, the info you have is incorrect. Skoda has actually reduced the prices of spare-parts. Specifically, the logo costs only around Rs.800 now as opposed to the Rs.2000 something price earlier.
Thanks Manish.
I need test drive of 1.6 petrol elegance trim. In case Asset Auto has it, then I would surely love to take a TD.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:06   #86
BHPian

The 1.6 is not available for a test drive. They will get you the diesel Elegance variant, the only difference being the engine. Everything else in the trim level is the same you would get on the 1.6.
I have exchanged my current Palio 1.2 2006 model for 1.20lakhs, they are providing in-house finance at 10.94% from ICICI. EMI for 5.34lakhs works out to 11,490rs. I am not sure about this deal so will be checking on other loan houses over the weekend.
Sanket Kulkarni's number 7709096667.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:11   #87
BHPian

Like I mentioned earlier, they will get the diesel engine Elegance trim for a test drive, no 1.6's for td.
The contact person is Sanket Kulkarni - (m) 7709096667 at Asset Auto.
They have valuated my exchange car at 1.20lakhs & offered in-house finance at 10.90%, so my EMI works out to 11,490 for a 5.34lakh loan. Am not sure if this is a good deal. Guys pls let me know if there's anything better in the market. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

^Thanks Manish. From the above, I see no difference between the two dealers since neither have 1.6 petrol for a test drive. I would prefer to judge the 'driveability' of the car personally before I plonk in my 6.8 lacs.
Old 11th March 2011, 14:42   #89
BHPian

Today I had seen a new Fabia HTP elegance trim on road in Delhi with Rear Wiper. The silver car had ribbons on the bonnet normally seen on cars being delivered from showroom and had stickers of Giriraj Motors Gurgaon. Is Fabia now available with rear wiper or is it a pre Oct 10 model?

@ mb_jg : I had taken loan from SBI in Feb this year. interest rates are lower at 9% for first two years and 10.75% thereafter. The paper work was a breeze and the draft received in two days.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:01   #90
MK3
BHPian

Shivir, pajero4me, 2cents, guha_2001, all of you are my inspiration to check out fabia. My travel includes 1000 km/month, hence going for a petrol vehicle seems to be a right choice. The cars i have finalized are Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi and Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPFI Ambiente, according to my budget. I could not find reviews for 1.2 Petrol Ambiente. If you could throw some light on it, it would be help me in making the decision whether to go for it or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks