Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 09:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

When the civic AT was launched it came with paddle shifters. Infact if i am not wrong it was the first car this side of 20 lakhs which came with paddle shifters. And maybe even the first car produced in india to have paddle shifters. My civic is a 2008 model and has paddle shifters. The ANHC was not launched then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Just a small correction, It was the ANHC in which honda launched this new automatic system with paddle shifters and later same was introduced in Civic.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th February 2011 at 19:36. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 4th February 2011, 10:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
You can shift down in D mode!
You always paddle shift up and down when in D-Mode also, just that it will switch back to automatic when threshold reaches to change gears.
Old 5th February 2011, 09:12   #48
BHPian

Are paddle shifts available in other makes?
Old 5th February 2011, 11:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

You have the mitsu outlander which has gorgeous magnesium paddle shifters.
Bmw offers paddle shifters.
Mercedes offers paddle shifters.
The new suzuki kizashi too. Etc etc.
Old 5th February 2011, 12:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Just a small correction, It was the ANHC in which honda launched this new automatic system with paddle shifters and later same was introduced in Civic. I am very surprised by knowing that you can not use the shifters in 'D' mode, I regularly use the shifters in 'D' mode of my ANHC for:

1.) Overtaking, just downshift and get the surge and go past the side vehicle.

2.) Time to time I use it to lower the gear to come in 2nd when slowing down, as in this Automatic car it remains in 3rd gear and then it comes directly to 1st gear.
You are not correct. Right from its first model released in 2006 Civic AT comes with paddle shifts. Shifting in D mode is there in my car, and it was introduced in the face lifted Civic released in late 2009. Older models only supported paddle shifts in S mode.
Old 5th February 2011, 21:08   #51
BHPian

Completed 1000 KMs today. Will send the car for service on Monday. What are the expected changes after the service?
Thanks
Old 6th February 2011, 00:20   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Completed 1000 KMs today. Will send the car for service on Monday. What are the expected changes after the service?
Thanks
1000kms is 1st service right?

Honda would change the air/fuel filter and replace engine oil.
Old 6th February 2011, 08:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1000kms is 1st service right?

Honda would change the air/fuel filter and replace engine oil.
No, For 1000 kms check up. They just check up if everything is fine, and do water wash. No changing of engine oil or any parts. Engine Oil change will be done at 3000 kms.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
No, For 1000 kms check up. They just check up if everything is fine, and do water wash. No changing of engine oil or any parts. Engine Oil change will be done at 3000 kms.
same for the civic,they only do a checkup and dont change anything. Yet they keep the car the whole day.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:57   #55
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your purchase - excellent buy. I myself have a Civic as well as a City (ANHC) at home and both are A/Ts. The Honda transmission is undoubtedly an extremely capable piece of machinery and certainly well superior to the Maruti and Hyundai options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Our civic AT also has paddle shifters but you cannot use them while in D. They can only be used while in S(sport) mode. Its cool that honda has updated their transmission an added this feature to the city.
They've updated the transmission in the Civic as well now. The paddles can be used in D mode as well and this applies to some of the pre - facelift models as well.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

@axe77 thanks for the info regarding civic transmission, its great that honda has updated the civic's tranny too.

My parents are planning on buying a new car, they love our civic but having two of them in the family is not an option. So they are looking at the altis or ANHC. Since you own both, can you tell us whether the city is truly a junior civic? or would they be better of buying the altis.
Old 6th February 2011, 22:58   #57
Team-BHP Support

Ah - interesting quandry.

IMO (and I know many think otherwise) the city is in no way a junior civic. I feels like a toy car compared to the Civic feels a different league altogether. Is it 90% Civic at 75% cost - Honestly IMO - NO!

Having said that I'm not much of a fan of the Altis A/T. I TD it at the time I was to buy the Civic and it was just plain boring. (I also dislike the fact that its a 4 speed auto).

I'd say if you must buy one of the three only, then since you have a Civic for that reason alone you could consider the City (I assume you and your parents live together and therefore don't want 2 of the same car). The City will be a little more fuel efficient and great for airport trips as well given the 510 litre boot. The Civic is also due for an all new model so I don't know how you feel about that.

If they are largely chauffeur driven though then the Altis has distinct advantages. It is probably more comfortable at the back than both the honda siblings, has a boot that at about 470 / 180 odd litres is closer City size than Civic.

I feel they should also consider the Cruze perhaps. That is quite a rocket (if they're self driven and performance is a factor). Although the Chevy transmission doesn't feel Honda refined but its quite acceptable.

I don't know how much it helps but happy to address any other questions.

Happy car shopping.
Old 8th February 2011, 08:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

@axe77
Thank you for your feedback. Actually i dont stay together with my parents, though we do live very close by. Another sad fact is that none of my parents drive. Dad has the license to but is so attached to his kinetic that he only rides and doesnt drive. So basically it will be driven by our driver chap, now this dude doesnt drive enthusiastically infact he should be voted one of indias safest drivers. He is calm and patient. Sticks to his lane honks less and even follows driving etiquette. Have never come across a driver of this sort before. Cheers to him. Ok i am rambling on again.

I too feel the altis with its 4 speeder is a bit of a letdown it should have had a 5 speed. But saying that i have only read good reports of the box within city limits. My mom is for the city she loves the looks. But i feel the altis would suit them better as they are only going to use the backseat. Hmmm. Maybe i will narrow it down to anhc AT or Altis manual, both top end. Once back in pune TDs shall begin.

Thanks again for your input.
Regards,
Mash
Old 8th February 2011, 10:20   #59
BHPian

Mash, if it is driver driven, blindly go for the altis manual top end. It has luxury feel and better comfort at the rear than the ANHC.

Also, if your dad likes to sit in the front passenger seat, entry and exit from the ANHC can be an issue if he's tall.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:24   #60
BHPian

@rkap01 - congratulations (although a bit belated). Can you post some pics please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks