Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 12:30   #1
BHPian

Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

I wanted to buy an automatic transmission sedan under Rs. 10,00,000/-. I was to choose between SX4 AT; Verna AT, Vento AT and Honda city AT - the four cars fitting my budget requirements. I test drove all except Vento. They didnt have one for test drive in Chandigarh. They were very poor responders on phone. They never responded on web site inquiry. Wait period was more than 3 months! On paper it looked good, but the poor sale response put me off. Wait period was another hindrance!
SX4 AT was the best equipped amongst the remaining three. Climate control and etc. And cheapest! The automatic transmission was a bit tardy on test drive. It was a three shift with eco mode thrown in. Fuel economy was not great! The car didn't have many good reviews on the net. Resale value was not good. Reversing was not easy.
Verna AT was diesel! The only diesel AT in this range! The seats were a bit low. The noise in the cabin was a bit alarming, just because I am not used to diesel! Reports say that auto transmission is a a bit of let down. It has a 4 speed transmission. Not very Zippy. The sale team response was not very good. Web inquiry had no response. There was no AT latest model for test drive!
Honda response time was a few hours on the web inquiry. Test drive was organized quickly and to my convenience. The car was brought to my work place. Sales personnel were very responsive, cordial and knowledgeable.
I choose to buy the exclusive model in the Urban Titanium metallic colour. Exclusive model gave me leather seats, body coloured mud flaps and some chrome sash moldings. I paid 40,000 extra for this. Maybe not worth it, but i wanted original leather seats. I also paid 13,000 etc for a original cd/mp3 player fitted in the slot where it should have been and is available in other countries!

I have driven 580 KMs and four long distance trips of 100 kms each.

First impressions:
1. The Titanium colour looks good on the car
2. The car is good looking
3. The interiors are very roomy.
4. The seats are very comfortable. Arm rest on the door a bit low. Back seat has a very comfortable arm rest.
5. The long distance drive is not at all tiring.
6. Engine is very responsive and great pick up!
7. Sound system is nippy and better than average. Audio controls on the steering wheel is a bonus
8. In North Indian winters fog lights are a bonus! The headlamps are good and focussed.
9. Wipers work well; I miss wipers and a wash at the back. It has a defogger
10. Automatic transmission works very smoothly and difficult to make out the shifts; controls on the steering are a bonus; mode is electronically visible on the console!
11. 17 plus average on the highway at a cruising speed of 90 km per hour and average speed of 60 Km per hour.
12. City driving in rush hours give 8 as average; otherwise ranges between 10 and 12. These figures are available from the average feature available on the console.
13. Two dashboard storage cubicles; one is small and accessible to the driver. Adequate to keep your wallet or sun glasses.
14. God forbidding, all standard safety features including air bags and ant-iock breaking system.
15. Very spacious boot - 510 liters. The interior has many other small places for magazines and cups.
16. Heating is very good. Watch this space for review on cooling.

rkap01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 16:41   #2
BANNED

re: Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

Welcome to the world of Honda owners. You have arguably one of the best ATs around, and should enjoy years of happy and trouble free motoring. As someone put it Honda costs more, but pays you back in far better economy. Let me add lower maintenance requirements are a bonus. You must also have noticed a plug and coolant life of 100,000km or 10 years! Eevn the brakes (life is less with an AT) ar reputed to last for 40,000+km (this is the Civic so the City should be at least as good).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 17:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on your new City!

From personal experience using the car in Gurgaon, the cooling is just as good.

About the 13k for original CD player, the S and V models get it as standard fitment; so what is different?

The storage inside the cabin is definitely sufficient with a glove box, one at the arm rest in between front seats and a small box next to the steering.

My S MT gives 18 km/l + on highways and about 14 km/l in the city (with a/c) so you can expect good mileage.

About the fog lamps though, someone on the forum did mention that they are fragile.

Anyway, the car is a treat to drive. Happy driving!
Old 31st January 2011, 17:49   #4
BHPian

Congrats rkap01 on your new City.
Welcome to the Honda club and enjoy your new car.
I own a ANHC-VMT in white and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Drive safe and please add some pics of the car too.
Old 31st January 2011, 18:08   #5
BHPian

Is it S-AT? I think it should be V-AT. Please confirm?
Old 31st January 2011, 18:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is it S-AT? I think it should be V-AT. Please confirm?
Thought of the same thing but felt it could be customized.

So yes, S-AT or V-AT?
Old 31st January 2011, 18:13   #7
BHPian

@rkap01: Congratulations!
Driving Honda is addictive, so take care and drive carefully.
As sgiitk said ANHC AT is probably the best AT around. Honda machines are very reliable and trouble free.

One question: you said you spent 13K on CD/MP3 player ??
Can anyone confirm if this is really the price?? I vaguely remember them quoting me 1.7K, anyway I was not interested in buying it so ignored it.

Secondly, why on the earth did you need the CD/MP3 player ?? when it offers great USB connectivity, Plus IPOD USB connectivity (Anyway I understand its your personal preference to buy it), but is it worth it ?

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 31st January 2011 at 18:22.
Old 31st January 2011, 18:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

About the 13k for original CD player, the S and V models get it as standard fitment; so what is different?

The storage inside the cabin is definitely sufficient with a glove box, one at the arm rest in between front seats and a small box next to the steering.

My S MT gives 18 km/l + on highways and about 14 km/l in the city (with a/c) so you can expect good mileage.

About the fog lamps though, someone on the forum did mention that they are fragile.

Sorry, the USB player and radio is standard fitment. My bad.
Old 1st February 2011, 08:30   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new City RKAP01. I think you might have got a V-AT model. I have a three month old V AT ( White ) and I feel the engine getting smoother with more on the ODO.
I took it for a long drive to BLR to check the fuel efficiency but could not resist the urge see how fast she goes. It was a lovely drive and im sure you will enjoy the city experience.
The Stock Music system is also really good.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:44   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy, mate!
According to me, the "Exclusive" model is VFM. I enquired about the exclusive model here in Bangalore (Dakshin Honda- Hosur Road), but they said it was a limited edition & that it is not available with them now. The sales guy said, if I wanted leather, he had the Stanley guys at the same showroom, who'd do the same for 35k. But, with the "Exclusive", for 40k extra, you got chrome door sashing (=16k) & other few goodies in addition to the factory fitted leather seats: so thats truly worth it, i'd say.

Meanwhile, AT is offered only in V- variant (since last 1 year or so), so I guess you have a typo in your thread title.
...& &...where are the snaps, mate? I haven't yet seen the Titanium color...(The showroom guy took me to their stock yard to show this color, but the cars were so soiled with dust & mud that it was not possible for me to make out what it really looked like lol!
Old 1st February 2011, 09:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Welcome to the world of Honda owners. You have arguably one of the best ATs around, and should enjoy years of happy and trouble free motoring. As someone put it Honda costs more, but pays you back in far better economy. Let me add lower maintenance requirements are a bonus. You must also have noticed a plug and coolant life of 100,000km or 10 years! Even the brakes (life is less with an AT) are reputed to last for 40,000+km (this is the Civic so the City should be at least as good).
Thanks. The decision to buy was based on the sale team response. I hope that the service team is as affective!

Quote:

Thanks. In the current models there is no disc player!

I checked - It is V AT. I regret the error

It is 1.5 V - AT Exclusive

Quote:
Sorry, the USB player and radio is standard fitment. My bad.
The inbuilt system has a Radio and Input ports to connect an auxiliary device like a MP3 player, portable CD Player or an Ipod! Erroneously it is called a MP3 player. There is no disc player in the system so playing audio or MP3 discs is out of question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
According to me, the "Exclusive" model is VFM. I enquired about the exclusive model here in Bangalore (Dakshin Honda- Hosur Road), but they said it was a limited edition & that it is not available with them now. The sales guy said, if I wanted leather, he had the Stanley guys at the same showroom, who'd do the same for 35k. But, with the "Exclusive", for 40k extra, you got chrome door sashing (=16k) & other few goodies in addition to the factory fitted leather seats: so thats truly worth it, i'd say.

Meanwhile, AT is offered only in V- variant (since last 1 year or so), so I guess you have a typo in your thread title.
...& &...where are the snaps, mate? I haven't yet seen the Titanium color...(The showroom guy took me to their stock yard to show this color, but the cars were so soiled with dust & mud that it was not possible for me to make out what it really looked like lol!
I was also told that 'exclusive' was a limited edition by a dealer in Ludhiana and thus not available! However in Chandigarh, the dealer said no such thing and I was told that the car is available. As far as I can understand it is not a limited edition. The web site also does not says so.
It is still being shown as available on the Honda city web site. The price of the model is also available. Do get back to your dealer.

As you said, exclusive has all the things thrown in and its not too bad a deal!

Thats right - it is V - AT. Please guide me as to how to change the title!

I will put some photos.

Last edited by rkap01 : 1st February 2011 at 10:11. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 1st February 2011, 10:04   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ANHC.

Drive safe and have fun.

Post some pics please.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
@rkap01: Congratulations!
Driving Honda is addictive, so take care and drive carefully.
As sgiitk said ANHC AT is probably the best AT around. Honda machines are very reliable and trouble free.

One question: you said you spent 13K on CD/MP3 player ??
Can anyone confirm if this is really the price?? I vaguely remember them quoting me 1.7K, anyway I was not interested in buying it so ignored it.

Secondly, why on the earth did you need the CD/MP3 player ?? when it offers great USB connectivity, Plus IPOD USB connectivity (Anyway I understand its your personal preference to buy it), but is it worth it ?
I have too many good discs and no time to load them on the ipod!
I also thought 13 was stiff, but wanted to go with a original fitment. The CD/mp3 player gets fitted behind the open-able red display and a new case (with the cable for USB port as well enough space for an IPOD) is fitted in the empty space at the bottom of the console. Quite a nice fit! And I believe an original fitment in models overseas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Congrats on the new City RKAP01. I think you might have got a V-AT model. I have a three month old V AT ( White ) and I feel the engine getting smoother with more on the ODO.
I took it for a long drive to BLR to check the fuel efficiency but could not resist the urge see how fast she goes. It was a lovely drive and im sure you will enjoy the city experience.
The Stock Music system is also really good.

Driving in Punjab is totally a different ball game. I have now done 6 long trips on the same road ie two lane single road between Ludhiana and Chandigarh.
Morning drives at 7 AM gives 16 plus average. Evening drives hover around 14. I drive about 6 KMs in Chandigarh and Mohali before I get on the mentioned highway and about 8 KMs in the most congested area of Ludhiana. Its def above 17, if i calculate the highway drive, which as I mentioned it not a four lane highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
Many congratulations on your new vehicle.
What was the final OTR price, excluding your leather seats/music player?

And you know what they say about pictures and a thousand words

I hope at present my 1000 words evoke enough interest
I bought an exclusive model, which had the leather seats. I paid Rs. 1,038,000/- something which includes Rs. 7500 corporate discount as well as Rs 1 Insurance for the first year. Registration will be at 2% of the billed amount, which is current in Punjab. I bought it from Chandigarh as there is no dealer in Mohali, which is a twin city of Chandigarh. Since i stay in Mohali, that is where the registration will be done!

I have a query

I am in Punjab and the night temperatures are around 7-8 C. When i take out the car at around 6.50 AM, there is a crunchy sound when i go over speed breakers. These speed breakers are quite small and thus not hitting the bottom of the car. That does happen for the next km or two. I sent the car for an inspection and they found everything OK except a badly fitted mud flap on the rt front wheel. The sound seems to originate from the posterior segment of the car. I do not hear any sound if the car hits a pot hole but the speeds are different. On the speed breaker, my speed would be around 5 km per hour! Any comments/views?!

Quote:
The Exclusive model is called so when there are extra fitments like the Chrome sashing for the door, body coloured bumpers etc. So, I doubt it has anything to do with it being a Limited Edition.

In Gurgaon, our dealer said we could put in an extra 40k and make the S-MT an "Exclusive"!

You can report any of the posts on this thread and mention that the title is to be changed.

By the way, does the MP3 player fit exactly in the slot that is there for the regular models with just the USB player and radio or it is bigger??

I ask because the earlier models of City had a rather big CD player area.
Thanks. I will report for a change.
The CD.MP3 player fits very snugly behind the flap of the Red Information Panel and on view is not visible at all.

RKAP01
I have merged 4 of your posts since they all were on the same thread. You can use multi quotes to reply to multiple posts. Hopefully nothing was lost in the merge. - Navin

Last edited by navin : 1st February 2011 at 12:50.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:14   #14
BHPian

Many congratulations on your new vehicle.
What was the final OTR price, excluding your leather seats/music player?

And you know what they say about pictures and a thousand words
Old 1st February 2011, 10:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
The Exclusive model is called so when there are extra fitments like the Chrome sashing for the door, body coloured bumpers etc. So, I doubt it has anything to do with it being a Limited Edition.

In Gurgaon, our dealer said we could put in an extra 40k and make the S-MT an "Exclusive"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Thats right - it is V - AT. Please guide me as to how to change the title!
You can report any of the posts on this thread and mention that the title is to be changed.

By the way, does the MP3 player fit exactly in the slot that is there for the regular models with just the USB player and radio or it is bigger??

I ask because the earlier models of City had a rather big CD player area.

Most Viewed