Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 15:19   #76
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Mandheers really disturbing reading your experience!!

I am sure if it had happened to me in the first 2months, i would have gone into a mild depressive episode!!i mean when you are that attached to your car, it happens!that too a car which you bought with your heart and not your head!!

Are you planning on pursuing this matter with higher-ups further?to see if at least as a goodwill sign they can replace it free next time?God forbid, hope you wont have to go through such an experience another time!!
Thanks Carfreak, no am not intent on doing any pursuing.

Khoj has detailed the problem well enough to understand that since it is not covered under warranty, and given Mitsubishi has actually invested in coming up with a child part, so guess the goodwill can be well ruled out in case of future instances.

I love the drive on this one, and guess will cross the bridge when I get to it!
Old 10th May 2011, 13:27   #77
BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast at 5000kms

Completed 5000 kms yesterday, and they have been a mixed bag.

The car seems to age well, behaves even better.

Service intervals are 10k, so still sometime to go for that.

Many of you are aware of the fuel pump failure at 3k kms, which was fixed under warranty, and the tad bad experience with ‘GN Automotive’. Thankfully got a letter from HM last week announcing ‘Aquest’ as their authorized service guys in Mumbai, and that they will open more service stations in Thane and towards town.

That said about the fuel pump, the only respite is the drive, and that only gets better every day.

Even a slight change in tire pressure is unmistakable on the drive, at least for me.

The car is very well balanced, and the cornering, overtaking, chucking etc feels very normal, as if it were daily bread for this beast.

A few issues that I have noticed are as foll.:

1. Minor rattles from front doors and rear number plate, guess they will need some dampening, not something I can’t live with, and Gaurav has suggested turning up the volume as remedy.

2. Fuel filter issue, well Khoj has assured it’s not adulterated fuel since its an armature at fault, and the better part being that HM or Mitsubishi guys have come up with a child part that costs 7k with labor, as against the 22k for fuel pump.

3. The brakes seem a bit less sparky at times, will get it checked the next service. The brake pedal has started making a slight ‘squishing’ sound when pressing and depressing. Braking however is spot-on, but I could do with a bit more.

4. The hand brake lever needs to be yanked a long way upwards, and since I park my car on a slight slope, there is a minor roll before the car comes to a halt, and stays put.

5. There are some moments when in very crazy traffic I feel the car heats up a little, and then there are two noticeable things:

5(a). Whole lot of shuddering in the first gear, so when that happens I usually revv a bit before moving, sorts it out. Second remedy is to let the car ahead go some distance so I get some much needed roll on the beast, gets some air into the engine too I feel, and clears things up maybe.

5(b). There has been this incident when again in bumper-to-bumper heavy traffic there were some scraping sound from the engine as the AC compressor kicked in, and the car shut down on a jarring note. Started back as normal, and as I was busy in conversation with the Mrs. hence couldn’t exactly pay attention to the series of events. Also, there was a corncob on the road and I somehow felt that got stuck under the right tire and maybe since it was very heavy traffic, might have stalled the car. You know how it happens when the tire doesn’t go over the cob and the cob being slippery gets pushed a bit, also acting as a poor chock on a wheel. Hasn’t happened again though.

6. The car gets a little out of breath at times when revved high, what I have learnt is to keep RPMs controlled and push in 3rd and then 4th gears, and works like magic. The 2nd gear is a bit disappointing, but I guess that’s again not something I can’t live with.

7. The rear boot takes a calculated motion to shut it, and no, slamming it shut from the spoiler doesn’t work. One of these security guys at malls will get it from me soon.

8. The bonnet stay-rod gets very heated, and I wonder why.

The above seemingly look like a lot of issues, but you can take my word “they are not”; one spin and that’s all it takes for me to throw them all in place.

Few plus points that work well for me, some have been outlined earlier as reason for purchase, but what the hell:

1. The fuel gauge is very accurate, unlike my earlier experience of the Lancer where the gauge would dip suddenly and then stabilize around E for the longest time.

2. The exterior + interiors are very good in fit + finish, car feels solid all round.

3. The lights are actually bright and do the work well.

4. Suspension is very SUVish, potholes are no worry at all.

5. The doors open and shut with a very reassuring clank.

6. In cabin noise is next to nil, very quiet.

7. The gear shift is well placed and height, and gears engage/disengage with a reassuring click too.

8. The car has a great and very appealing low slung stance which just grows on me every passing day, and I will get tire upsize done once there.

9. Was getting a mileage of around 7kmpl initially, which as of last week has gone to 9kmpl, with AC on at all times, and no change in driving habits.

10. The sound system, speakers in particular are very good quality and that has been confirmed by the Accessories guy where I always fit sound system etc on my other cars, and so is the wiring, so what I only need is either a Sub with enclosure or a Bass Tube, problem is to make up my mind- which.

11. The Automatic Climate Control is a blessing, and I have the air vent figured out, so all I need to adjust is the temperature, the other two knobs have stayed on ‘Auto’ since ever.

12. The wheel balancing done at time of PDI has held itself still and there is not even a flicker here.

13. Pedals are great quality, and I like the smaller things like hook for driver side floor-mat.

14. The drive never tires me, unlike other cars I have driven, and I have driven all day at stretch on occasion.

15. There is very little gear shift required in traffic, 2nd 3rd both are just fine.

16. The wipers are a great set and will be a blessing in Mumbai monsoon, I used to get all my cars changed to Bosch AeroTwins, doubt if I will need them on this one.

17. The spoiler and body skirting makes the car look very dominating and bullish, yes sporty too, but I have been thinking about the word ‘menacing’ Gaurav used to describe the smoked headlights effect. Later maybe!

The car is a great sedan to drive or I should use the word ‘commute’ to work on a daily basis, at its sedate best. But an altogether different beast surfaces with just the slightest nudge to the pedal and it swims through traffic, chucks around a corner or shoots on an empty stretch as if saying “now what?”

Have checked for air filters and though the Mitsubishi one is itself great, this lady from Pete’s speaks highly of the Green Cotton filter. Green Cotton Replacement Filter is available for the Cedia, costs Rs. 5,800/-, and it promises to make your drive much more smoother and also increase engine power by 3 – 4%.

Had got the Anti-Rust treatment done on first service which cost 3500/- and that’s all. There are absolutely no maintenance woes on this beast, and it’s been a very strong 5k kms behind me.

Looking forward to crunching more, so here’s to Red!

Seen here, getting the weekly scrub!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img00032201104241400.jpg  

Last edited by mandheers : 10th May 2011 at 13:37. Reason: formatting
mandheers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 16:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast at 5000kms

Hey Mandheers, thats some nice and detailed reviews .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Service intervals are 10k, so still sometime to go for that.
10k or six months, so it will be in July I guess??

Quote:
Minor rattles from front doors and rear number plate, guess they will need some dampening, not something I can’t live with, and Gaurav has suggested turning up the volume as remedy.
Ya the front door rattle, it disturbs me when I am with my family or my gal..and the music is low. They dont even notice it and sometimes also gets annoyed at my reactions and say 'the car is fine', can't you think about anything else . For the number plate, you may add some plastic foam under the plate and tighten it.

Quote:
2. Fuel filter issue
Last I checked when I visited asian motors to get clutch oil changed, they said, it must be the electric pump they would have been replaced, the complete assembly costs 22k but the electric pump is for 7k.

Quote:
The hand brake lever needs to be yanked a long way upwards, and since I park my car on a slight slope, there is a minor roll before the car comes to a halt, and stays put.
I got that tightened after I got the car,since then, the hand brake is on with the first click. Some tightening needs to be done from center console area where hand brake lever is located, just a 5 mins job.

Quote:
Whole lot of shuddering in the first gear
Do you press the clutch pedal completely, this is one car which wont get started on half clutch. Most cars do.

Also, the compressor does come on with a tuk note, which is very noticable but then it doesnt stall the car. Must be the obstacle.

Quote:
The 2nd gear is a bit disappointing,
Ya, at times the second doesnt seem to have same kick which you get in 3rd and 4th. But then with 98 clicks on 2nd makes the car raring to go at 3rd..lolzz

Quote:
One of these security guys at malls will get it from me soon.
Hotels and office security guys seem to be well versed with it, but mall security guys need good adjectives from us to learn it.

Quote:
In cabin noise is next to nil, very quiet.
Well, the S-Drives on my ride changes things a bit here.

Quote:
The wheel balancing done at time of PDI has held itself still.
Well, I have only done balancing 3 times. First, when I got the car, the previous owner had slime in the tyres, I had to get rid of it and balance the tyres. The car used to bubble like anything over 130-140. Got it done within a week after getting the car. Second time was when I got the new set of tires and third time was last week, when I got 2 tyres flipped (rotation tyres). The alignment and balancing in this car doesnt do out easily.

For the headlamps, get projectors if and when you do. Check them on ebay.com.

lastly, your car is in warranty, consider it before you get any mods..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 10th May 2011 at 16:46.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 01:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Some notes from my side.

Quote:
3. The brakes seem a bit less sparky at times, will get it checked the next service. The brake pedal has started making a slight ‘squishing’ sound when pressing and depressing. Braking however is spot-on, but I could do with a bit more.
The brake pedal on my car makes a small noise too every time I use it.

Quote:
5. There are some moments when in very crazy traffic I feel the car heats up a little, and then there are two noticeable things:

5(a). Whole lot of shuddering in the first gear, so when that happens I usually revv a bit before moving, sorts it out. Second remedy is to let the car ahead go some distance so I get some much needed roll on the beast, gets some air into the engine too I feel, and clears things up maybe.

6. The car gets a little out of breath at times when revved high, what I have learnt is to keep RPMs controlled and push in 3rd and then 4th gears, and works like magic. The 2nd gear is a bit disappointing, but I guess that’s again not something I can’t live with.
Taking 5(a) and 6 together just check the spark plugs and the lead wires if anything is loose.

Quote:
8. The bonnet stay-rod gets very heated, and I wonder why.
That's because it is not insulated and sucks up a lot of heat from the engine. Hold it from the insulated area (black) and you should be fine.

Quote:
Few plus points that work well for me, some have been outlined earlier as reason for purchase, but what the hell:

10. The sound system, speakers in particular are very good quality and that has been confirmed by the Accessories guy where I always fit sound system etc on my other cars, and so is the wiring, so what I only need is either a Sub with enclosure or a Bass Tube, problem is to make up my mind- which.
I used to think so too till I got bit by the ICE bug earlier this year and got a set of Focal front components and amplifier along with a subwoofer and some sound damping. Using the stock HU and the sound is amazing. It is nowadays not unusual for me at the end of the day to sit in the car in the driveway to hear a song come to its end and then listen to a few more before locking up

Please do not go with the base tube it sounds ridiculous. As and when you want to get this done, go to 'FM Drives' in Santacruz, they are real good.

Quote:
Have checked for air filters and though the Mitsubishi one is itself great, this lady from Pete’s speaks highly of the Green Cotton filter. Green Cotton Replacement Filter is available for the Cedia, costs Rs. 5,800/-, and it promises to make your drive much more smoother and also increase engine power by 3 – 4%.
Do note that Pete's has a direct bolt on air induction kit for the Cedia. Costs approximately 9500/- or so. Much better than getting just the filter, I am thinking of getting the same too and maybe the Cosworth exhaust (end can).

Quote:
Looking forward to crunching more, so here’s to Red!
Cheers indeed!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 11:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Nice summary of your experience.

What does the following mean?
How does the 'slight' change of pressure change the way the car drives?

Quote:

Even a slight change in tire pressure is unmistakable on the drive, at least for me.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:43   #81
BHPian

Rattles seem to come and go in my car. When driven on bad roads I'm now getting some glassy rattle on the driver's side.

Quote:
I'm tempted to try a new air filter if it can make my drive in the city smoother. Any idea if there is a K&N available for Cedia and how much it costs?
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:52   #82
BHPian

Mandheers, cheers to Red from my side!!

From yours and other reviews looks like Cedia is prone to rattling issues.though my car had none at the time i bought it, it has picked up some during the last 6months!now only the rear rattle persists, think from the number plate.

The quality of plastics used inside are top notch!!one of the best i have seen!

like gaurav said i feel the shudder you get in first gear could be because you are releasing the clutch bit early!i do not have the ac noise you mentioned!

Regarding the second gear what i have felt is a slight hesitation in engaging the gear-but not that difficult as to be a bother!

I suggest you wait for warranty to get over for the mods!and better to go for a cold air intake than a replacement air filter!

@gaurav thanks for the tip on the hand-brake i will get mine tightened next time i go for service

Last edited by carfreak : 11th May 2011 at 22:54.
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 01:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From yours and other reviews looks like Cedia is prone to rattling issues.though my car had none at the time i bought it, it has picked up some during the last 6months!now only the rear rattle persists, think from the number plate.
Not at all, small rattles from front foor/glove box is audible but then even after 70k on clock, the cedia's rattles are 1% of what previous cars from MS and Tata had. However, I must say, the polo at home is lasting rattle free similar to the way cedia has lasted.

Quote:
The quality of plastics used inside are top notch!!one of the best i have seen!
Cant agree more man.

And you'r welcome (hand brake thing).

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 01:08.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:41   #84
BHPian

Just thought I'd report this, on the drive to work this morning the 'shudder' revisited, twice strongly and once on a very feeble note.

Tanked up this morning from IOC on JVLR and was on JVLR as usual, regular traffic, but moving well, not crawling as usual, so rules out the getting heated bit.

Was listening to some news when the RPM meter acted funny, and there was the 'shudder', I must've been on 1st gear and the car was rolling easily.

It was like when you try pulling with handbrakes on, and the RPM meter dipped and then bobbed.

I switched off the AC, and revved a little so as to avoid the car from dying, and it was fine.

Then it happened again, slight shudder, RPM meter bobbed, then all normal.

Last it happened when I got into the parking lot and came to a halt.

I usually siwtch off the AC a little distance before I am going to park, and when I park the car I dutifully check all lights, turn down the stereo volume and switch it off, turn off the fan and check the air-vent is closed with the amber light on, check all windows up, and then I turn the ignition off.

It was just when I turned off the AC fan, that there was one last slight shudder, and then nothing. Slight shudder and knocking, could hear better since it was all quiet in the parking.

So I revved a bit, waited a while to hear it purr gently, and then switched off the ignition.

Guess I will check the spark plugs this evening for loose contacts etc. or send it for a checkup.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

@Mandheers, First thing you need to check is where the idling, should be around 800-1k rpm. Now, when you visit the service station, ask them to increase the rpm by about 200, from the ECU (refrain doing it from TB, but even if they do, its no problem).

Second thing you get done is bleed the clutch.

I personally dont think that it can be spark plugs until you witness misfiring in any other gears, still no problem getting it checked.

I am pretty sure, increasing the rpm a little should solve the issue. Since, your daily drive includes some bumper to bumper driving, a little more throttle will help. In fact, I used to get all my car's throttle increased when I used to go to office in peak hours . Reduces effort as releasing the clutch, let the car go without pressing the accelerator.

Lastly, have you ever noticed, engine oil light coming for a second or so, when you are in bumper to bumper traffic. Do one thing, when you start the car, let it come to normal temperature. Now on idle, press the clutch and brake pedal a few times , say 10 times and see if the oil light comes in for a sec or so, if it does, it can be an oil presure switch, but the chances are 0.00001%. It failed in friend's Honda, so I am refering. Forget about it if nothing comes up.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th May 2011 at 12:47.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:01   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@Mandheers, First thing you need to check is where the idling, should be around 800-1k rpm. Now, when you visit the service station, ask them to increase the rpm by about 200, from the ECU (refrain doing it from TB, but even if they do, its no problem).

Second thing you get done is bleed the clutch.

I personally dont think that it can be spark plugs until you witness misfiring in any other gears, still no problem getting it checked.

I am pretty sure, increasing the rpm a little should solve the issue. Since, your daily drive includes some bumper to bumper driving, a little more throttle will help. In fact, I used to get all my car's throttle increased when I used to go to office in peak hours . Reduces effort as releasing the clutch, let the car go without pressing the accelerator.

Lastly, have you ever noticed, engine oil light coming for a second or so, when you are in bumper to bumper traffic. Do one thing, when you start the car, let it come to normal temperature. Now on idle, press the clutch and brake pedal a few times , say 10 times and see if the oil light comes in for a sec or so, if it does, it can be an oil presure switch, but the chances are 0.00001%. It failed in friend's Honda, so I am refering. Forget about it if nothing comes up.
No, never experienced engine oil light coming on, will try the drill and check though.

It happens on first and maybe second, at very low, rolling speeds. Sounds and feels like something stuck and scraping and the car choking with jerky shuddering.

Will bleed the clutch and get the RPM up, it's currently between 800-1000 at idle.

Thanks GC!
Old 21st May 2011, 04:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:

I switched off the AC, and revved a little so as to avoid the car from dying, and it was fine.

Then it happened again, slight shudder, RPM meter bobbed, then all normal.
I am not an expert and neither do I own a Cedia but I am a proud owner of Lancer SLX (2001 / 65K kms). Even after so many years the engine/transmission/gear-box is very very silent and buttery smooth. GTO has aptly said "Mitsubishis' age very well" and I vouch for that. Apart from the regular service the only major parts that needed replacement, were the Brake master cylinder, the engine mounts and front struts.

The RPM meter spike and shudder is something I can relate to. Before you bleed the clutch and raise the RPM I suggest you clean the air-filter. After every 2500 kms I clean it myself and replace it during the 10K service cycle. I use a powerful blower to blow the dust outwards, then soaked it in soap water before drying and refit. Skip the water wash if your has the pleated paper filter elements or else you would ruin it. After cleaning there will be a slight increase in RPM because the engine breathes easy and is much more free revving. The RPM meter may not register this small change but you will certainly feel it while driving. In your case the shudder is possibly due to less air intake resulting in the RPM going below the threshold and the ECU tries to compensate it by increasing the throttle.

Also, I have noticed that the A/C condensor fan switches ON/OFF automatically even when the A/C is not in use! I don't know about Cedia but in the Lancer it acts like a companion to the main radiator fan and helps cool the engine faster. Whenever the condensor fan starts automatically, I notice a slight spike in RPM and then normal after 5 seconds. The ON/OFF cycle can also result in a shudder due to the extra load on the alternator and is pronounced when the air filter is clogged.

Just my 2 cents .... do let us know your diagnosis.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 14:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nice summary of your experience.

What does the following mean?
How does the 'slight' change of pressure change the way the car drives?
Hey S_U_N, I meant the tire pressure (TP) causes a very noticeable effect on this car's drive.

And I can only understand why everyone advised to change/upsize the tires too.

I used to get 32psi, and there used to be quite alot of road noise and the car felt harder on bumps, the steering feedback was lower.

Then I realized it was 30psi, after seeing the label, so have stuck to 30psi and the car's attitude changes with just a slight decrease in TP.

That's just imo, and the difference is noticeable in both drive and the car's attitude.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 15:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi M, Nice report and congrats on running past the 5K mark.

Just a quick possible pointer. The squishing brake could be because of the noise coming from the brake booster. Normally not heard in new cars but after the booster diaphragm settles in, the squishing noise starts.
Not really something to be worried about. But irritating, yes.

Last edited by Guderian : 21st May 2011 at 15:47.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 23:15   #90
BHPian

Ok, need some enlightening here.

How much of a role does the exhaust tip play in the car's performance? I mean can it be causing the sluggish behaviour in 2nd gear and the out-of-breath bit, maybe the 'shudder' too?

Here's how I come to ask, well I was planning to get the clutch bled and the brakes looked up while the air filter was getting cleaned, but as it happens this was a working saturday.

So much to my dismay, I had to put all that grease-work off until next week.

Got a call from Saurabh (the helpful sales manager from erstwhile Autodrome, and now Aquest) that I had not collected my insurance smart card. Turns out it wasn't a smart card but a piece of document. But that's not the story.

I got back home, took wifey and daughter for a drive, loving husband, doting father bit done I went off to Malad again, to my favorite auto parts shop; Popular, on Link Road, ahead of Inorbit.

Wanted to for some reason get another exhaust tip. Well just that I saw a few Curze tips of late, and they look menacingly open-mouthed, so there I said it. Saw another dark grey Fortuner with a similar tip and I felt like yanking it off; the damn thing was almost in my face at that height.

So, that said, found one, good quality and round, and fitted it.

But before that, what I also realized is my previous tip was flush with the exhaust tip, the grill type inner of the tip was firmly in place onto the mouth of the exhaust.

Asked the chap who was fixing it, he looked like he was catching a short nap, and he said it doesnt matter at all, it's at the tip after all.

Ok, well, here are the pics.

This was the tip which is now in the boot. And as you can see the mammoth exhaust of Cedia was reduced to exhale only through 1 small orifice and 6 pin-pricks, and it was fit bang on the OEM exhaust's mouth.

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img00048201105212032.jpg

This is what I got fitted instead, it's as clean as it gets, doesn't look bad, has a slight linear criss-cross wire mesh, which is a joke actually, but looks the part and I breathed easy.

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img00046201105212032.jpg

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-img00047201105212032.jpg

Had been driving all day, so drove out as usual, but the car was lurching forward even with the usual driving. So began my chainn of thoughts, and although I was trying best to avoid it, I took the left towards the back road, lining the Malad creek.

The car feels different, or so I would like to believe. You should've seen it go, even in 2nd with the AC on, and I didn't turn on the stereo, as I wanted to hear it, and not a sound, not a flicker.

Kept the revv high, around 3-4k and upwards, and slid into 3rd. The rest is for the onlookers to vouch for but it was a rush.

Maybe the exhaust tip did it, or maybe I was just driving different or maybe Red was happy with the time I devoted.

Still planning to get the clutch+brakes bled and air filter cleaned next week though. A little love never hurt anyone!

Last edited by mandheers : 21st May 2011 at 23:18. Reason: details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks