Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Then I realized it was 30psi, after seeing the label, so have stuck to 30psi and the car's attitude changes with just a slight decrease in TP.

That's just imo, and the difference is noticeable in both drive and the car's attitude.
I concur, even a slight change in tire pressure does effect the driving dynamics in my Blue Streak too.

Quote:
Ok, need some enlightening here.

How much of a role does the exhaust tip play in the car's performance? I mean can it be causing the sluggish behaviour in 2nd gear and the out-of-breath bit, maybe the 'shudder' too?

Maybe the exhaust tip did it, or maybe I was just driving different or maybe Red was happy with the time I devoted.

Still planning to get the clutch+brakes bled and air filter cleaned next week though. A little love never hurt anyone!
The earlier tip given its design would surely have created a restriction to the free flow of exhaust gases thereby creating a back pressure which showed up as shudders and jerks and what not. That atrocious looking tip is seen mostly on the measly 1/2"~3/4" dia exhaust pipes of the smaller engined cars but the 2.0 liter block of the Cedia with nearly a 11/2" + dia exhaust pipe pushes out a lot more flue. You did well to change the tip to the open mouthed one thereby killing two birds with one stone.

As for your other planned activities while cleaning an air filter never hurt anyone, the bit about the clutch/brake oil is not required at this stage. Your car is too new to have those issues.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

@ Mandheers, the new exhaust pipe certainly looks menacing . I personally have had some poor experience with exhaust pipes but I must say they look good. But an open mouth is always advisable. Good that you had some fun with the car.

I'd personally suggest that you yourself clean the air filter every 2k/1 month. Believe me, It makes a difference.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:45   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I concur, even a slight change in tire pressure does effect the driving dynamics in my Blue Streak too.

The earlier tip given its design would surely have created a restriction to the free flow of exhaust gases thereby creating a back pressure which showed up as shudders and jerks and what not. That atrocious looking tip is seen mostly on the measly 1/2"~3/4" dia exhaust pipes of the smaller engined cars but the 2.0 liter block of the Cedia with nearly a 11/2" + dia exhaust pipe pushes out a lot more flue. You did well to change the tip to the open mouthed one thereby killing two birds with one stone.

As for your other planned activities while cleaning an air filter never hurt anyone, the bit about the clutch/brake oil is not required at this stage. Your car is too new to have those issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@ Mandheers, the new exhaust pipe certainly looks menacing . I personally have had some poor experience with exhaust pipes but I must say they look good. But an open mouth is always advisable. Good that you had some fun with the car.

I'd personally suggest that you yourself clean the air filter every 2k/1 month. Believe me, It makes a difference.
Thanks Khoj & GC, as always indebted to your knowledge.

This was my first tryst with exhaust pipes, and I am only hoping all that driving around with an almost choking exhaust has not caused a dent on the engine.

Hoping the shudders etc are sorted for good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi M, Nice report and congrats on running past the 5K mark.

Just a quick possible pointer. The squishing brake could be because of the noise coming from the brake booster. Normally not heard in new cars but after the booster diaphragm settles in, the squishing noise starts.
Not really something to be worried about. But irritating, yes.
Just to 'clean the pipes' took Red out for an early morning drive, had planned on the Expressway, until Lonavla exit, but then my daughter woke up earlier than expected, so settled for a drive to town, taking off on Herr Guderian's travails with the Admiral.

Drove almost 90 clicks all morning, to town, around Sunday morning Mumbai and back, and the drive was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I am not an expert and neither do I own a Cedia but I am a proud owner of Lancer SLX (2001 / 65K kms). Even after so many years the engine/transmission/gear-box is very very silent and buttery smooth. GTO has aptly said "Mitsubishis' age very well" and I vouch for that. Apart from the regular service the only major parts that needed replacement, were the Brake master cylinder, the engine mounts and front struts.

The RPM meter spike and shudder is something I can relate to. Before you bleed the clutch and raise the RPM I suggest you clean the air-filter. After every 2500 kms I clean it myself and replace it during the 10K service cycle. I use a powerful blower to blow the dust outwards, then soaked it in soap water before drying and refit. Skip the water wash if your has the pleated paper filter elements or else you would ruin it. After cleaning there will be a slight increase in RPM because the engine breathes easy and is much more free revving. The RPM meter may not register this small change but you will certainly feel it while driving. In your case the shudder is possibly due to less air intake resulting in the RPM going below the threshold and the ECU tries to compensate it by increasing the throttle.

Also, I have noticed that the A/C condensor fan switches ON/OFF automatically even when the A/C is not in use! I don't know about Cedia but in the Lancer it acts like a companion to the main radiator fan and helps cool the engine faster. Whenever the condensor fan starts automatically, I notice a slight spike in RPM and then normal after 5 seconds. The ON/OFF cycle can also result in a shudder due to the extra load on the alternator and is pronounced when the air filter is clogged.

Just my 2 cents .... do let us know your diagnosis.
Thanks Chewbacca, diagnosis hopefully done, by default though.

Finally, about yesterday's morning run: Felt like being handed a new car. Handles the same, but feels more powerful. Cornering and braking judgements had to be altered on my part a bit; as the car was rushing in; cant help it I guess, been driving a certain way all this while with that stupid exhaust.

Still hard to believe just an exhaust tip could cause such a drastic metamorphosis. 2nd is now the new 3rd, and it sends me back into the seat even on 4th.

The torque is altogether unleashed now, and I couldn't shift into 5th for most part of the drive.

Fingers crossed.

Will surely clean the air filter once though!
Old 1st June 2011, 15:46   #94
BHPian

Got a call from Mitsubishi Marketing team conducting a telephonic survey.

They wanted to know the foll.:

1. how do I perceive the Cedia as, a Sporty sedan or a Premium sedan (answer: premium sporty sedan)

2. how important are features like OZ wheels, MOMO steering etc. (answer: very, if it's a sports variant)

3. what do I feel is missing in the car (answer: more power from the 2.0 ltr mill, smokey headlights, maybe an AT for Select variants etc etc)

4. what was the reason for choosing the Mitsubishi Cedia (answer: Mitsubishi rally pedigree etc etc)

5. how was my experience with the dealer and after sales service (answer: at actuals)

I answered all of the above and asked what was the reason behind the survey. Ok, so here it goes, Mitsubishi is conducting this survey stand-alone, and not HM, they are looking at exploring the idea of a version which puts out more power from the same plant, and another version with standard engine which may or may not have the OZ etc.

The higher power version will have sporty trims etc, and they have seen a problem with consumers not liking the beige interiors in a 'sporty sedan' but would prefer the same in a 'premium sedan'. Black interiors were more appreciated in their Sports version. Consumer feedback for the Sports versions is also similar as far as power is concerned, and they are not buying Cedia for FE but for the drive-ability and power as well as mod-value.

They have seen some angst amongst the people who bought Select as compared to those who bought Sports, or maybe he wanted to say that people are asking for the Select model back. I asked twice, but his answers were unclear.

Atleast they are not phasing out the Cedia, R&D is still rampant, and the guy also assured that they have sensed the lack of marketing has caused a dent.

Rounding up, I was thanked for my time and as a reciprocative gesture, I will be receiving a free gift from Mitsubishi Motors.

Last edited by mandheers : 1st June 2011 at 15:50.
mandheers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

So they still think they can flog cedia around, good for us owners, parts will be easily available; bad for Mitsubishi, they wont have any sales again.

Bloody how long will it take them to understand that what we want here is a new Mitsubishi lancer. Where competitors are about to phase younger generation models and get new ones, these people still believe in selling a decade old shape. And then no company really apart from M/S has ever managed to turn its flop product into a Hit. Mitsubishi anyways will be the last one to do so.

We have seen established brands like Honda struggling to maintain sales despite of new models, just because they dont have a diesel, which new competitors VW, Hyundai, MS, FORD etc have and here Misubishi plans to sell this 2.0 with more BHP, meaning less FE. First, it will be difficult to increase the BHP to anything more than 125, keeping BS4 norms in mind. Even if its 125 BHP, it wont make a difference.

From elegance, to sports, to select, to spirit to sports basic, and they have tried it all but without giving any importance to Marketing. Result, we have the most under rated car in INDIA.

They want sales in India, get new lancer with a 2.0 MIVEC to compete with likes of civic/altis. If you want to compete with city/vento types, get an evo8-9 shape, plonk a 1.6 MIVEC and sell it. You will have fantastic sales. And if at all they'd like queue outside their showrooms, get the VW diesel they sell in Europe, if not possible, get 1.9 DDIS from FIAT.

Mitsubishi - you have good products, no problem with them. You just have a sloppy management, which has not only ruined your brand name in India but alsomade sure that you are left 10 years behind in the race. Where, Hyundai (which used to source engines etc) from you till 1990s, have managed to reach rank 5 in global scenario, you have managed to drop to an unaccountable position. As, I always say, its awesome products, aweful management in your case.

At least get a management that can do something... this will not sell .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st June 2011 at 16:29.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

We may have different perspectives here:
I don't have any issues with my Cedia Select. I have evaluated many cars before freezing on this.
I agree, the car is not VFM @ 11 lacs. In my opinion, if they could just put in a fuel efficient diesel engine at the same price, it would be be able to sell a lot more than it is right now.
I know a few people who have bought Cedia not for its mod friendly nature, nor for its sporty feel, but for the comfort, space, and reliability.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 18:41   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Mitsubishi is conducting this survey stand-alone, and not HM, they are looking at exploring the idea of a version which puts out more power from the same plant, and another version with standard engine which may or may not have the OZ etc.

The higher power version will have sporty trims etc, and they have seen a problem with consumers not liking the beige interiors in a 'sporty sedan' but would prefer the same in a 'premium sedan'. Black interiors were more appreciated in their Sports version. Consumer feedback for the Sports versions is also similar as far as power is concerned, and they are not buying Cedia for FE but for the drive-ability and power as well as mod-value.

They have seen some angst amongst the people who bought Select as compared to those who bought Sports, or maybe he wanted to say that people are asking for the Select model back. I asked twice, but his answers were unclear.

Atleast they are not phasing out the Cedia, R&D is still rampant, and the guy also assured that they have sensed the lack of marketing has caused a dent.
Most likely it's going to be the new-shaped Lancer (rather than the Cedia as we know it) that's going to be launched soon, with inputs from the survey and market research. No point committing the same mistakes again. So, wait for it, gents! But it's all just my guess.

BTW, my Cedia is 6 months old today.
DrunkenMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 21:18   #98
BHPian

Recently, I too got a call from Mitsubishi. They specifically asked me for feedback on the local service station (SRV Motors). I gave them the feedback.

Quote:
There is something else causing a dent. I also I told them what I thought about the high premium HM charges for some of the parts and the long wait time I had to endure. As discussed on this forum hundreds of times you really can't find much wrong with the car - dated or not it is a fantastic car. But, it is only when something goes terribly wrong (say an accident) that one starts seeing the flip side - too much dependence on imports, very little attempt at localization and the side effects. They need to fix this unless their business model is low volume - high profit margins.

Last edited by CBlazer : 1st June 2011 at 21:20.
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car feels different, or so I would like to believe. You should've seen it go, even in 2nd with the AC on, and I didn't turn on the stereo, as I wanted to hear it, and not a sound, not a flicker.

Kept the revv high, around 3-4k and upwards, and slid into 3rd. The rest is for the onlookers to vouch for but it was a rush.

Maybe the exhaust tip did it, or maybe I was just driving different or maybe Red was happy with the time I devoted.
Nice to know that there is no extra noise generated.
I was considering an exhaust tip (with chrome on it) for my Cedia but I was told that the car will become noisy and the tip could rattle over time.

How do you actually fit this? How much does it cost? My Cedia is a 2006 model.
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nice to know that there is no extra noise generated.
I was considering an exhaust tip (with chrome on it) for my Cedia but I was told that the car will become noisy and the tip could rattle over time.

How do you actually fit this? How much does it cost? My Cedia is a 2006 model.
It's just a tip, cost about 600, simple clamp on to the exhaust pipe.

Takes 5 minutes, and if properly tightened it doesn't make any rattle whatsoever.

I have also heard the Evotion EV801, and might see if I can get that without revoking the warranty.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I have also heard the Evotion EV801, and might see if I can get that without revoking the warranty.
The chrome exhaust tip looks really good , I am planning for one too for my cedia.
EV801 is a muffler and will change exhaust note if I am not wrong, do you know any place in Mumbai/Pune where I can get one?
shyaGO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaGO View Post
The chrome exhaust tip looks really good , I am planning for one too for my cedia.
EV801 is a muffler and will change exhaust note if I am not wrong, do you know any place in Mumbai/Pune where I can get one?
Yes, it is a muffler, or is it also called end-can?

It comes with a dampner too for reducing noise. The note is one of the better deep-seated ones I have heard, like a growl with an undercurrent, nothing boisterous.

I will start looking for it, should find at Milan Subway on Santacruz or might ask the friendly neighborhood Popular guy on Malad Link Road to order one for me.

Will keep you posted, just waiting to clarify if it would revoke warranty.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's just a tip, cost about 600, simple clamp on to the exhaust pipe.

Takes 5 minutes, and if properly tightened it doesn't make any rattle whatsoever.
Thank you for clarifying. I will try to search for this in Pune. is clamping this a DIY or does it require professional skills?
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:30   #104
BANNED

Fellow BHPian's -

Please pardon me but I have no intentions of hijacking Mandheers thread here, I had a small piece of information that I wanted to share and I assume that the fellow BHPians planning for a Cedia would be following this thread closely, hence the update:

The update from a SE in Delhi:

The Cedia has been stripped down, the following are the changes:

1) Momo steering has been given away with.
2) Beige interiors instead of the black.
3) Touchscreen has been removed.

The pricing has come down from 11.23 to 10.43 OTR Delhi.

The Technical Specifications remain unchanged though.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 01:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-end-can.jpg

I believe you Gentlemen are looking for something like the above.

Quote:
Yes, it is a muffler, or is it also called end-can?

It comes with a dampner too for reducing noise. The note is one of the better deep-seated ones I have heard, like a growl with an undercurrent, nothing boisterous.

I will start looking for it, should find at Milan Subway on Santacruz or might ask the friendly neighborhood Popular guy on Malad Link Road to order one for me.

Will keep you posted, just waiting to clarify if it would revoke warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I will try to search for this in Pune. is clamping this a DIY or does it require professional skills?
If you want one like mine then get in touch with Cosworth India Private Limited in Pune. This is the same Cosworth that makes parts for F1 cars and vehicles in various other versions of motorsports. They set up shop in Pune about three years ago and I have been buying stuff from them ever since. Nice people to do business with. They do have some distributors too but it is best to get in touch with them and buy direct. Here is a link to their web site's product page.

Cosworth - Performance Components for Indian Cars

I am inline to buy the carbon muffler from them as soon as Blue Streak's warranty is over. The end can however has no effect on the warranty.

Here is another view of the can which comes originally painted in Cosworth Blue now turned 'Burnt Blue'.Mitsubishi Cedia Sports- the Red Beast!-end-can-side-view.jpg

Hey Torquedo,

You are welcome to post in any thread anytime you want but one cannot be pardoned for not paying attention to the forum especially on subjects of immediate interest. The news is quite old and infact a separate thread exists on the new version of the Cedia. Try and keep up will YA just kiddin but seriously you got to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Fellow BHPian's -

Please pardon me but I have no intentions of hijacking Mandheers thread here, I had a small piece of information that I wanted to share and I assume that the fellow BHPians planning for a Cedia would be following this thread closely, hence the update:
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks