Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 22:14   #16
BHPian

Re: My Man(z)a - Indigo Manza - QJD Gothic Olive Aura + - 1500 Intiial ownership repo

Admin, Apologies for the back to back post. Was able to upload the photos faster than I thought. Currently, my mobile cam is what I have and apologies for the lower quality of pictures.

Panel being opened for camera installation
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-panel-being-opened.jpg

Single DIN Blaupunkt HU
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-single-din-hu.jpg

HU Name Plate
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-hu-nameplate.jpg

Loose Screw causing the rattle
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-loose-screw.jpg

Reverse Camera
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-reverse-camera.jpg

Reverse Camera Close up view
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-camera-close-up-view.jpg

LCD Monitor
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-lcd-monitor.jpg

Steering Knob
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-steering-knob.jpg

Door Rub Gaurds and RE35
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-re35s.jpg

Door Rub Gaurd closer view
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-door-rub-gaurds.jpg

List of Panel Gaps
Power Windows switch housing misalignment
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-misalinged-power-window-housing.jpg

Misalignment of lower bumper section
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-panel-mismatch.jpg

Section below the tail lamp assembly
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-taillamps-being-opened.jpg

Car Photos
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-car-photo1.jpg
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-car-photo2.jpg

Advertisement for seat cover at the car decor
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-seat-cover-novel-advertisement1.jpg
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-seat-cover-novel-advertisement2.jpg
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-seat-cover-novel-advertisement3.jpg
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-seat-cover-novel-advertisement4.jpg

Broken Tail Lamp - Need for a reversing camera/sensor
My Man(z)a :: Indigo Manza QJD Gothil Olive Aura+ :: A year of ownership-broken-tail-lamps.jpg
Old 15th February 2011, 13:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Man(z)a - Indigo Manza - QJD Gothic Olive Aura + - 1500 Intiial ownership repo

Hey Sridhar,
Sorry I'm late in doing this - but hearty congratulations on the massive car. Wish you unlimited safe, happy and yes - comfortable miles with her.

And boy! thats a very good thread indeed. Nice details and pictures. (Sad to know about the missing pre-outs on the psudo 1Din. That means my Vista also doesnt have them.) Cool gizmo there @the reverse cam LCD mirror.

Good colour too.
The panel gaps - well ignore them. They are negated by the features and price tag by a good margin. And now a days, you'll find them in any car considering the mass production and cost cutting measures.

Keep updates coming...

Cheers!
Old 15th February 2011, 14:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Sridhar: Very nice and crisp review.
What is the round thing on the Steering wheel (you have captioned the picture as Steering knob)?
Is that used to align/ move the reverse camera?
Old 15th February 2011, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sridhar,

The car looks great in pics. Nice colour indeed.

One thing which confused me was the location of the rear view camera, why on the rear bumper and not on the boot lid some where near the number plate centre. In case of any rear ending, would the camera not be damaged. Also was the original IRVM replaced with the LCD or LCd placed on the top of IVRM?

BTW whats a K turn?
Old 15th February 2011, 17:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Sridhar: Very nice and crisp review.
What is the round thing on the Steering wheel (you have captioned the picture as Steering knob)?
Is that used to align/ move the reverse camera?
@SUN, if I'm not mistaken, its used to quickly turn the steering fully on tight curves, with a single hand. Works as a sort of lever to say.
Old 16th February 2011, 18:37   #21
BHPian

Reinhard:
Thanks.
Quote:
(Sad to know about the missing pre-outs on the psudo 1Din. That means my Vista also doesnt have them.)
Not sure whether it will be a problem with Vista. The earlier Vista had clarion HU which had the pre-out. Check out the ICE threads Not sure about your model. If it is Blaupunkt, you may have the same problem.

S_U_N:
Thanks. Reinhard has already answered your question on the steering wheel.

Ghodlur:
Quote:
The car looks great in pics. Nice colour indeed.

One thing which confused me was the location of the rear view camera, why on the rear bumper and not on the boot lid some where near the number plate centre. In case of any rear ending, would the camera not be damaged. Also was the original IRVM replaced with the LCD or LCd placed on the top of IVRM?

BTW whats a K turn?
Thanks. The boot lid is made of metal whilst the bumper made of Plastic and hence easier to drill holes. The camera could be mounted on the top of the number plate using a housing that is bolted but potentially be stolen. Most of the cars at least in Chennai have the camera's mounted on top of rear bumper and yes there is a potential risk of it getting damaged.

The LCD monitor is placed on top of the OVRM and these are not as good as the original ovrms especially in the night. It may help if you don't have a darker sun film at your rear window.

K Turn: Another term is 3 point turn
YouTube - How To Do A Three Point Turn
Old 16th February 2011, 19:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Reinhard:
Thanks.

Not sure whether it will be a problem with Vista. The earlier Vista had clarion HU which had the pre-out. Check out the ICE threads Not sure about your model. If it is Blaupunkt, you may have the same problem.
Unfortunately not the case...Mine is the "Drivetech4" model. November 2010. It has the exact same HU as yours with phone controls. If a Manza doesn't get preouts, I'm definitely not expecing them. Anyway. The sound is fair enough with some tune up in the advanced settings. Better, oval rear speakers should be more than sufficient.

I think it was a wise decision to fix the camera in the bumper. That saved efforts, and most importantly, protected the paint. A hole would invariably expose the steel inside to the elements...
Old 17th February 2011, 22:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Reinhard:
Thanks.

S_U_N:
Thanks. Reinhard has already answered your question on the steering wheel.

Ghodlur:

Thanks. The boot lid is made of metal whilst the bumper made of Plastic and hence easier to drill holes. The camera could be mounted on the top of the number plate using a housing that is bolted but potentially be stolen. Most of the cars at least in Chennai have the camera's mounted on top of rear bumper and yes there is a potential risk of it getting damaged.

The LCD monitor is placed on top of the OVRM and these are not as good as the original ovrms especially in the night. It may help if you don't have a darker sun film at your rear window.

K Turn: Another term is 3 point turn
YouTube - How To Do A Three Point Turn
Thanks for the video Sridhar.
My better half's confidence increased after seeing this video. The driving school guy actually was confusing her I think.
Infact, she found many other videos along with this link which were very informative.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
@SUN, if I'm not mistaken, its used to quickly turn the steering fully on tight curves, with a single hand. Works as a sort of lever to say.
Thanks. Is this an accessory that is available with 1. dealer or 2. aftermarket shop.
What is it called? How much does it cost?
Old 18th February 2011, 10:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks. Is this an accessory that is available with 1. dealer or 2. aftermarket shop.
What is it called? How much does it cost?
It is called Steering wheel knob available in most after market shops costing around Rs. 300-350.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi SUN, its generally called a "Wheel Spinner" or "brodie knob". But no guarantee that the store guys would know the name. Don't bother the name. You'll see it hung on the wall / in the showcase. Just point.
Its available at both places of course. But logical to go for aftermarket accessory store. The identical one will invariably cost you higher at the dealership for no gains. Ask any Tavera / Indicab Shumachers on the road and they can give good pointers. Most of them have it. Helps on cramped places and ghat sections (as they say).

Cost - it should be around 200 or so. But lets get the first hand input from Sridhar. He has one already
Old 18th February 2011, 16:52   #27
BANNED

Congrats Sridhar on your Man(z)a. It is a truly nicecar in terms of space and VFM.

Great review! very un biased and detiled from a owners point of view.

Looking forward to more updates as you drive more!
Old 18th February 2011, 16:57   #28
BHPian

Sridhar - are you sure the music system is a single DIN? Reason I am asking is as TATA website says 2 DIN. OE's normally do not put wrong information on the site since it can result in bad publicity and legal damages (is someone sues them). Also I think, 1 DIN music systems are a thing of past and 2 DIN does not cost much now a days. Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 17:53   #29
BHPian

My 2 Cents on 2 DIN...
"DIN" is an industry standard for head unit size (ie, the radio/CD player that's mounted in the dash). The DIN standard is for a radio that's 7" wide and 2" tall.

A 2 DIN is two DIN units stacked, or a single unit that's the same size as two DIN units. That means 4" tall and 7" wide.

Read more: Answers.com - What is a 2 din music system

Cheers!
Old 18th February 2011, 19:50   #30
BHPian

I think one should call it pseudo 2 DIN because the underlying Blaupunkt unit is single din but Tata could claim it to be 2 DIN as the front portion of the HU fits the two DIN slots. ICE gurus may correct me if I am wrong.

Few more updates:
  • Found a few issue with the reverse parking camera and the installation.
1) The key pad lights for the HU stopped working. The accessory shop had taken power for the LCD monitor connected to the reverse camera from the same line that powers the HU. We rechecked the wiring and there seems to be no issues with the wiring. Checked the setting and even tried the factory resetting but the issue still remains. Have to take it to Blaupunkt service center to get this checked.

2) The image on the monitor was slightly tilted towards the left and some of the objects that were lying in my parking lot on the right hand side were not visible. Checked the installation of the camera and it was perfectly in the middle and aligned with the bumber. Then traced the issue to the shape of the bumper itself. The right portion of the bumper curves a lot more outwards than the left portion.

Not sure whether it was a manufacturing problem or a result of the incident when a bike following me hit my left rear portion of the bumper when I had breaked suddenly to avoid a drunk man veering towards the middle of the road.

Finally a juggad solved suggested by my dad solved the problem. We inserted a semicurcular sleeve/washer made out of a thin laminated sheet on the left side of the camera between the camera and bumper to tilt the camera towards the right.
3) The image was not clear in the night. The accessories dealer then peeled the small protective transparent cover on top of the lens and admitted that he forgot to remove it during the installation. Now the imagery is much clearer.
4) The camera does take some time getting used to and one has to
a) visually calculate the gap available from the nearest object lying behind
b) Use the other mirrors in conjuction with the camera
c) If there is a light source at the car rear, it adds to the glare and one has to adjust the brightness on the screen.

Contemplating adding the 6 sensor kit from RD (2 for the front and four for the back) that comes with the mirror mounted display & a voice over, but wonder whether it will be overkill. For somebody who just prefer the sensors, the 6 sensor kit from RD seems to be a good buy.
  • Checked out the Elan in the showroom when I went to collect my rC book. The power window switch hen redesigned

Most Viewed