Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 15:47   #76
BHPian

Re: Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet

Yipeeee, i completed my run-in (2500 kms) last week. Immediately took her for a one day round trip to the Pondicherry.

Wow ! what a power and its amazing to be with her on the highways. I thorougly enjoyed the turbo power, perfectly weighted steering, amazing ride quality and the excellent handling of the corners.

With 5 adults on board and 100 percent AC, i got an amazing mileage of 14.7 kmpl with a moderate to heavy foot.

I should say, the car has been running like a dream for the past 3 months.

Chennai city mileage in b2b traffic :
Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet-22042011001.jpg
bnzjon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 16:49   #77
BANNED

Hey thats pretty cool mileage. I am getting around 12.9 in Bengaluru B2B traffic. I envy you!
Old 24th April 2011, 17:13   #78
BHPian

bnzjon, many congratulations. I can't say what is more adorable, your beauty of a car or your passion for her. Small query, does the engine sound any different, louder, quieter with the turbo as compared to your previous car? Is the interior fit, finish and plastic quality different from the previous car?
Delta Wing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 00:39   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
bnzjon, many congratulations. I can't say what is more adorable, your beauty of a car or your passion for her. Small query, does the engine sound any different, louder, quieter with the turbo as compared to your previous car? Is the interior fit, finish and plastic quality different from the previous car?
Thank You !

The engine noise is slightly on the higher side when compared to the 1.4 NA petrol engine. Needless to say that the cabin is well insulated and you will not hear the engine noise until you cross 120 kmph on the odo. However, personally, i find the the engine noise sweet and pleasing to my ears. Rev the engine, and it sounds like a F1 car.

Interiors are much better than the older 2009 batches. Panels gaps have reduced and are pretty decent. The quality of plastics are a lot better and would last long.

I find 2011 Linea's & Punto's have much improved plastics, interior fit and finish. I dont see any more reason to complain on this front.

Last edited by bnzjon : 26th April 2011 at 00:42.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

@bnzjon

envy you man !! just wait till i trade my 1.4 fire to 1.6 multijet !!

geeash
Old 30th May 2011, 17:50   #81
BHPian

My Jet would get her first service on the 1/June at Concorde Motors, Ambattur.

Minor Issues to be sorted out :
1. Boot extremely hard to close. Need some lubricants.
2. Roof beading on the rear edge be glued.
3. Squeaking noise from left side on uneven roads.
4. Tyre Noise - tyres to be checked by Goodyear guys.
5. Squeaking noise while braking slowly.
6. Fuel flap hard to close.

Post the service, i am off to Mysore and Wayanad for a week long family holiday in my Jet.

Last edited by bnzjon : 30th May 2011 at 18:04.
bnzjon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 21:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
2. Roof beading on the rear edge be glued.
This looks like a common issues with all new Fiat cars, I have a one month old Punto Epack and my car is also having the same issue. Will get it fixed during the first service.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Tyre Noise - tyres to be checked by Goodyear guys.
Well. The Goodyear eyes in Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto are known for making a hell of noise at relatively higher speeds.

Did your previous Fiat Linea come with Goodyear or Bridgestone tyres?

Quote:
6. Fuel flap hard to close.
Our Fiat punto is suffering from the same issue too. Further, the fuel flap is very flimsy.

Quote:
Post the service, i am off to Mysore and Wayanad for a week long family holiday in my Jet.
Wishing you a happy and joyful holiday. You know, we all will be looking forward for your travelogue.

Doesn't it seen like every T-Jet owner is busy exploring places? EARTHed dude will be heading towards Leh, this sunday.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:30   #84
BHPian

Beading is a major issue. I have had all the beading glued one by one. I wonder why doesn't Fiat pay any attention to this. The fuel flap is a laughable matter. It is such a basic thing but it's not been rectified till now. All it takes is a good quality latching system. My Palio's fuel flap used to close with a "thunk" and was solid as well. The one in my Linea is flimsy and feels as if it would break off.

Have a irritating sound from the rhs dash/window. can't locate the source. Occurs when the car drives over a rough patch (like concrete blocks). Fiat guys have tried to fix the AC pipes but still the sound is very much there.

Have completed 11500 kms in 4 months with overall average of 16 kpl (city and highway).

Just completed a 1500 km trip to Goa. The car performs admirably on the highway but loses breath after 3500 rpm. Also mighty underpowered in the ghat section and sudden overtaking
Old 31st May 2011, 18:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Beading is a major issue. I have had all the beading glued one by one. I wonder why doesn't Fiat pay any attention to this.
This is really sad; can we have pics of the same?

Quote:
Have a irritating sound from the rhs dash/window. can't locate the source. Occurs when the car drives over a rough patch (like concrete blocks). Fiat guys have tried to fix the AC pipes but still the sound is very much there.
Do check the suspension for the same. Did you get the steering column checked?

Quote:
Have completed 11500 kms
How has your service experience been so far?

Quote:
Also mighty underpowered in the ghat section and sudden overtaking
Are you referring to the turbo lag?
Old 1st June 2011, 01:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Well. The Goodyear eyes in Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto are known for making a hell of noise at relatively higher speeds.

Did your previous Fiat Linea come with Goodyear or Bridgestone tyres?

Wishing you a happy and joyful holiday. You know, we all will be looking forward for your travelogue.

Doesn't it seen like every T-Jet owner is busy exploring places? EARTHed dude will be heading towards Leh, this sunday.
Amith, my previous Linea had GY GT3 and the T-Jet has GY NCT5 which is far better than the GT3 in terms of noise levels. The difference between these two is that GT3 has 'unbearable' and NCT5 has 'bearable' noise levels

Will definitely try and post a travelogue post the holidays.

Quote:
Please check the suspension.

Quote:
Have completed 11500 kms in 4 months with overall average of 16 kpl (city and highway).

Just completed a 1500 km trip to Goa. The car performs admirably on the highway but loses breath after 3500 rpm. Also mighty underpowered in the ghat section and sudden overtaking
The mileage is pretty decent but i think the MJD can give better mileage than you have quoted.

I have felt underpowered in the ghat section and while overtaking in my old 1.4 NA Linea but not with the Tjet.

The Jet cruises ahead while overtaking and I felt good amount of power in the Ghats. Its a breeze to drive the Jet.

Last edited by bnzjon : 1st June 2011 at 01:58.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:16   #87
BHPian

@Furebo bnzjon
Unfortunately I don't have the pics. I had the work done when I was traveling.
Have checked the suspension and steering column. There's no problem there. It's either the window glass or the window winder unit. Need to get it checked.

Overall mileage is low as I drive in Mumbai where my 20 km journey from home to office to home and takes me 2.5 hours (round trip) with average speed of 7 km/h. The max I can hit is 3rd gear.

My trip to Goa yielded a average of 18 kpl but I was constantly hitting 120 km/h (my wife who drove included). I have noticed that if I maintain a constant speed of 80-90 km/h on the highway but you can't do that in your Linea

yes, I am referring to the turbo lag and also the useless 2nd gear. The 1st is short as well. Also I miss the overdrive in the 4th gear in my Palio. I almost finalised a T-Jet but looking at the mileage which I do, I opted for a diesel. I am waiting for the 1.6 MJD and hope to upgrade once it's launched.

I have had a decent experience at the service station at Pandit Auto. They are too stretched as Tata has loaded them after BU Bhandari closed down, but I think Tata-Fiat have 2 more service stations now and things are getting better.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
With 5 adults on board and 100 percent AC, i got an amazing mileage of 14.7 kmpl with a moderate to heavy foot.

I should say, the car has been running like a dream for the past 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Hey thats pretty cool mileage. I am getting around 12.9 in Bengaluru B2B traffic. I envy you!
Can you guys please share the way you are driving the car or in simple words How you are doing injustice to 'T-Jet'? Since I am unable to get anything more than 8.5 kmpl.

The other day I got a free flow traffic from mg road till marthahalli (late night sunday )and I averaged to 40 kmph, very light footed with no revving more than 1.5k-1.6k (so no Turbo kik virtually), shifting to 5th as early as possible and max I got was 12kmpl (11.9 to be precise)..
This was an experiment drive and I felt that I cannot drive the car like that in any case.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 1st June 2011 at 18:01.
Old 1st June 2011, 21:48   #89
BHPian

Speed pujari
I completly agree with you. I have not got close to wat the other people are getting. City mileage of 11 is a standard for me however i drive
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Can you guys please share the way you are driving the car or in simple words How you are doing injustice to 'T-Jet'? Since I am unable to get anything more than 8.5 kmpl.

The other day I got a free flow traffic from mg road till marthahalli (late night sunday )and I averaged to 40 kmph, very light footed with no revving more than 1.5k-1.6k (so no Turbo kik virtually), shifting to 5th as early as possible and max I got was 12kmpl (11.9 to be precise)..
This was an experiment drive and I felt that I cannot drive the car like that in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Speed pujari
I completly agree with you. I have not got close to wat the other people are getting. City mileage of 11 is a standard for me however i drive
I am not an expert but will try and give you my side of the story. It may sound stupid but this has worked for me to better the mileage.

Just ensure 'not to get drunk on the TJet's Power'.
What i mean to say is, if you want to enjoy the power of the JET, there is no way that anyone can achieve more than 10-12 kmpl.

One suggestion I would give is, try short shifting. It really helps.
Keep the Rev as low as possible without stalling the engine. Higher the revs, lower the FE and Vice versa.

What i did during the initial days are drive with the Instant Consumption on. I am not sure if you have tried this already but if you haven't tried it, see if there is any improvement in your mileage.

I have kept the display on Instant consumption and was continuously monitoring how it changed depending on my driving style. It is very good to monitor IC and change our style.

Only during acceleration and between 1.5K - 2K RPM the consumption drops below 10 KMPL. Once car achieves momentum the IC quickly shows above 20 KMPL. Below 1K RPM the IC shows below 5 KMPL pretty bad and this is mainly due to stop and start.

Also, i reckon it'll be a safe bet to install Ecodrive in your Jet, since you can analyse where improvements can be found.

Jet is economical as well powerful. Use the power when you need

Most Viewed