Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 12:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review

Nice review Sid.

Personally, I feel that the car has an appealing stance and some nice goodies.BUT it still isnt an out and out sports sedan.The interior colour combo(Beige??!)/lack of drilled pedals/spoilers(front and back)/recaro type seats, etc. clearly suggest it is at best a half-hearted attempt at a sports sedan.And with that bulk it better have a stiffened up suspension else handling will surely go for a toss.What's a sports sedan without proper handling after all?

And even if it was, that would'nt have exactly guaranteed its success.I mean, we had the Skoda RS which truly is the only sports sedan that the country has known in the premium segment and needless to say even with that fabulous engine and a comprehensive list of goodies that were way ahead of its time in a market like ours, it was'nt exactly a block-buster(that coming from a company that's got a very premium image in India).So what chance does a mass-market brand like Suzuki have?200 units a month..I'd say 100 at the very best and that too only during the initial launch phase when marketing and PR are at their best.At this price,its expensive by 2.5-3 lakhs.Priced too close to the premium Accord/Superb.Another failure from Suzuki I say.

P.S.:I seriously doubt the 0-100 timings being claimed.The curb weight and the rated power just don't add up.The Laura TSi with a kerb weight of 1450 kg odd and a 160 ps engine takes 8.5 secs to reach the ton in the real world.Fat chance the Kizashi with a substantially higher kerb weight would manage a sub-8 timing(Manual)

Last edited by octane1002 : 24th February 2011 at 12:46.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:46   #47
BHPian

For some reason I think this car looks FAB. I cannot digest the way new Accord Looks, or for that matter the new Superb. For some reason, they seemed to be designed in that way just to look different and nothing more.

Aesthetically, this car is well balanced. There is a hint of aggression, but in a very gentle way. Something like, "I will forgive you most of the time, but mess around too much, you are going home with black eye, bloody nose and couple of teeth less".
Old 24th February 2011, 12:48   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome review again Sid. Thanks!! What are you upto? I bet you are giving GTO sleepless nights...

Things that struck me on first sight --

1. Nice sporty rear end.
2. exceptionally dud front. Might as well call it outdated & boring. Could have spent some more hours designing it.
3. Good bells and whistles package. BUT - You have everything including cruise control et al, and NO BLUETOOTH!! Kidding me?
4. Cabin room is great for the Japanese average height (NOM). Ask me, and I'd rather be in a Manza or Etios really. Forget about the features, I prefer happy legs after an 8 hour drive.
5. Did MSIL do ANY market survey before printing the price lists? Who are they competing with in the luxury segment here? Maruti has to sell on price as the USP, nothing else will ever hold against the Europeans for long. Okay I can understand they want only the elite to buy this car, but then, even the elite don't spend keeping the brains aside. Incorrect pricing at launch of a car in Indian market, is an irriversible damage. Ask MahindraRenault for instance.
6. Rear half, looks strikingly like a Chevy Cruz from side
7. A little bit of black (like on dash) in the door pads would have done wonders to improve their feel.
8. Peak torque delivery could have been optimised a bit more on the RPM front IMO.
9. 6 Speed gearbox - really good.
10. Really good wheel specs. And looks too.
11. Other bells and whistles and overall package is good - as always with Maruti.

Keep these coming SID! I hope you get into the "Official reviews" section soon

Cheers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th February 2011 at 13:26.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

The Kizashi is good, but not at that price range. I dont know if it justifies the price it is commanding. Only time will tell, but i am fairly sure it will not set any charts on fire.

We have seen this happen even to another mass market Indian player, Hyundai, with their Sonata, Elantra, Tuscon. Maruti faced the same with the Grand Vitara as well, but how many picked it up.

Personally, I even felt the interior plastic quality is not entirely upto the mark, for the price it is commanding. Look at the pics of the centre console, and the other switches around. If they want to peg in the higher range, compare it with the Superb, Accord and so on and you will see the difference
Old 24th February 2011, 13:18   #50
BANNED

Great review. Thanks.

After spending 16-17L, you have the same power window switches like SX4, Swift? & is not illuminated too. MSIL should have addressed it. Cars like Punto has the illuminated switches which even turns-off when disabled.

In terms of such small features, definitely, euro cars are much better & in a different league.

Bluetooth omission is definitely a big thing to miss.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Great review. Thanks.

After spending 16-17L, you have the same power window switches like SX4, Swift? & is not illuminated too. MSIL should have addressed it. Cars like Punto has the illuminated switches which even turns-off when disabled.

In terms of such small features, definitely, euro cars are much better & in a different league.

Right NSK123.
Even below the Punto, the PWS illumination was/is standard in Indica V2/Vista, Indigo CS (?)
Old 24th February 2011, 13:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The car is simply overpriced by approx 4 lakh rupees.
Why is that? Is it because its a Maruti?
Accord and Superb are at least 2.5-3Lakh costlier then Kizashi.

Last edited by HammerHead : 24th February 2011 at 13:35.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:36   #53
BHPian

Great review, Sid. Your attention to detail is just great.

A very good looking and well equipped car from MSIL (expectations not high post Dzire and SX4). However, dont think it will make too much of a splash in the market.

Could be a challenger to Cruze and the likes if priced right (about 3-4 lakhs cheaper) as there are better options for 20 Lakh OTR.

Last edited by Snazzy : 24th February 2011 at 13:40.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Ahhhhhh, that's insulting man.
Sorry to say,but this remark nullifies such an excellent review.

Honda City Exclusive (whatever that means )costs 9.53.
By reducing 4 lakhs Kizashi will be in 12 lakh range.

Does it mean Kizashi should be positioned between , say a City and a Civic? That's crazy, to say the least

Do you have solid technical reasons for this price "reduce" or just because it is coming from Suzuki stable, it cannot be called hep or snob and hence you would like to have it in 12-13 lakh range?

Do we give price suggestions to other hep brands? I don't think so. Maruthi & Suzuki are our (Indians) favourite punching bags :-)

Your initial review doesn't seem to have too many complaints about the car.
So where did this price reduction stuff came from?

Anyway you guys drive a lot, know about cars a lot.

Do we give price suggestions to other brands? Anyway for us Indians, Maruthi and Suzuki are favourite punching bags :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Great review. Thanks.

You OK with Polo and Vento sharing simliar tail lights, similar Punto and Linea fearures, City, Civic and Accord sharing somethings similar?
Maruthi can't? Maybe Maruthi should change it's name to something more "phoren" to appeal to us Indians

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th February 2011 at 14:45. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 20 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:47   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Why is that? Is it because its a Maruti?
Accord and Superb are at least 2.5-3Lakh costlier then Kizashi.
I'd say "Yes because its a Maruti". Skoda and Honda are way ahead of Suzuki on accounts of quality and the so called "brand factor". (OK I don't give a da*n about BRAND, but the masses do...). Kizashi is MSIL's "attempt" to make headway into the unseen territory.
And Kizashi is lacking some basic features and the all important DIESEL engine as of now. Both (Petrol / diesel) Honda & VW powertrains are definitely better than Suzuki IMHO.

Both of them are quite large compared to the Kizashi as well.

Still the Kizashi is definitely Good. No doubt, but when taking on the well established brands, a bit lower price could have done more to help Maruti to begin with.

@bkbkr1212 - similar is different than "SAME". Same means there is not a penny spent on designing it. Similar still needs new moulds and design.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th February 2011 at 13:52.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd say "Yes because its a Maruti". Skoda and Honda are way ahead of Suzuki on accounts of quality and the so called "brand factor". (OK I don't give a da*n about BRAND, but the masses do...). Kizashi is MSIL's "attempt" to make headway into the unseen territory.
And Kizashi is lacking some basic features and the all important DIESEL engine as of now. Both (Petrol / diesel) Honda & VW powertrains are definitely better than Suzuki IMHO.

Are they? Or we just don't want to say that Suzuki can never ever do anything better than Honda or other "BRAND" co's?

Both of them are quite large compared to the Kizashi as well.

Still the Kizashi is definitely Good. No doubt, but when taking on the well established brands, a bit lower price could have done more to help Maruti to begin with.

@bkbkr1212 - similar is different than "SAME". Same means there is not a penny spent on designing it. Similar still needs new moulds and design.
I meant same and similar. Didn't you find taillights of Vento and Polo similar in looks, but not same because Vento has a bigger one? Sorry for my bad language. Couldn't convey it the way I wanted.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:12   #57
BHPian

Lovely Review Sid, was waiting for this one for a bit - well put. nice pictures too

My take - the Kizashi most probability wont be looked as premium seg car, moreover over i don't like the way it looks to- if compared to the accord and other cars in its category.

Overall finish of the front grill could have been better, even the boot looks like a modified lager version of the desire.

no doubt the driver experience would be something else in a good way.

i would define it by the way it looks - SX4 + Swift desire = Kizashi

To all owners and fans of the Kizashi no offense, i would have loved if they launched the below version in India
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review-images.jpeg  

ryan_wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

There is recent news of FTA between India and Japan. And given that Kizashi is manufactured in Japan, hope prices would come down in next few months.

In short term, pipeline is booked till May so Maruti does not have any incentive to bring down the price.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:22   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Arey bkbkr1212! Its okay yaar! What i meant was, they have simply carried forward the switches without spending a dime to add something for a premium car. In case of the cars you mentioned, yes the things are similar, but VW, Fiat, All have made sure they have made subtle changes everywhere, to make sure there is that distinct feel thats all.

In such a fully loaded, aggressive car, these are trivial things, and strange to see them to be missed...

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th February 2011 at 14:27.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:44   #60
BANNED

Great review Sid as always. I just loved the cars looks. However the rest of the package is dissappointing, especially the price. I was expecting something in the 15 L range.

Quote:
My +1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
And a EPS in a 20L (sporty) sedan?
I guess they are still a small car manufacturer at heart. But then most people will accept it as it's a Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK_BLR View Post
Also noticed that there's no Maruti logo on the car, just Suzuki badge at the rear
That would spoil the cars looks (the only good part of this car IMO). However many people will buy it just because it's a Maruti.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 24th February 2011 at 14:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks