Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 CVT: Test Drive and Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/97050-maruti-suzuki-kizashi-2-4-cvt-test-drive-review-7.html)

Just a one question here :

If this car would have been from Honda or Toyota, people still would have said its costly? Because its from Maruti, i guess people are saying its costly. Same happened with Aria as well. Its a good car, people accepts but say its costly. If same would have been from any german manufacturer, people would have said its cheap ;)
'
Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.

Thanks for the appreciation and 5* rating guys!

Right now on a tight schedule, so will reply to all queries by mid next week.

Cheers
sid :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle
Having driven one, i can vouch for this, it doesn't belongs to accord/camry segment in terms of space, quality, drive, performance(quite near yet far).

Space yes. But the other factors look like they are just added for the sake of argument, especially the drive and performance part. And if the K is quite near yet far to the Accord, how would you term the performance of Civic to the K ? Maybe "quite far, yet near" ?

BTW, the point I have made (even in the other thread with a comparo chart) was just that the K tends more towards the Accord than it does to the Civic. To clarify, if I were looking at the Kizashi, the other cars in contention would be the Accord and Camry, not a Civic or Corolla.

Quote:

Apart from that in all other areas including sales, services, availability, resale, image, it clearly falls short of accord/camry/sonata.

Hmm. The car has not yet rolled out here, but you already wrote it off as a resale disaster. And I would love to know how great the resale of a Sonata is. Heck it does not even sell, so what is the question of resale. And what issues do you see with availability and services for the K?

Quote:

And i also felt its overpriced for what it offers in India, and many members seem to agree here including the OP. While i won't want a difference of 4 lakhs, i would certainly like to see a couple of lakhs less than current pricing. With Indo-Japan agreement, i hope that happens in near future.

While most agree that the price could have been 1.5 - 2 lakhs lower, the OP went overboard with the 4-lakhs part. Maybe the agreement will help prices come down and a good car would get its due in the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 2257361)
Space yes. But the other factors look like they are just added for the sake of argument, especially the drive and performance part. And if the K is quite near yet far to the Accord, how would you term the performance of Civic to the K ? Maybe "quite far, yet near" ?

Hmm. The car has not yet rolled out here, but you already wrote it off as a resale disaster. And I would love to know how great the resale of a Sonata is. Heck it does not even sell, so what is the question of resale. And what issues do you see with availability and services for the K?

All my points are made in respect to USA's sales and service network. And its a known fact it doesn't enjoy a great resale here. New sonata has similar resale as accord/camry.

And its a fact that premium sedans like this don't enjoy a good resale in India too. You know that, we have seen plenty of accords for less price on t-bhp.

While you may feel i added other points for argument sakes, its very important for me to consider a car as a whole(interior quality, space, drive, efficiency, ftd, living with it) and not only the engine and performance. So it looks like your requirements or thinking when buying a car is different than mine. You seem to be stuck on performance only, while i give importance to all aspects.

If you feel civic's 0-60 mph of 7.7s is quite far, yet near to kizashi's 7.5 second time, then i have nothing to say except, get your facts right.

source(civic): http://www.caranddriver.com/features...20_000-feature
source(kizashi): http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad_test_update

man its just 0.2s of difference. You can't be serious when you say 'quite far, yet near'. If i put in a Civic Si, it will blow the covers of kizashi with a 7 second timing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 2257311)
Just a one question here :

If this car would have been from Honda or Toyota, people still would have said its costly? Because its from Maruti, i guess people are saying its costly. Same happened with Aria as well. Its a good car, people accepts but say its costly. If same would have been from any german manufacturer, people would have said its cheap ;)
'
Just my thoughts. Nothing personal.

agree:

I thinks this can be best explained as the 'snob' value. The branding has a mojor impact on the pricing. Same goes for Bata and Nike comparision!

If this were launced by Merc or BMW, it would have been a bargain!

@chevelle, I thought we are discussing the Kizashi launch in India. BTW, Suzuki is almost non-existent in the US (in all my trips, I have seen more Hyundais than Suzukis) so the K would follow that line in sales, which is the opposite of Suzuki's presence here in India.

I agree that people buy a car with many factors in mind. Just that you seem to be negating the K on all counts - even those where it does good.

Some quick key factors:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 2257379)
If you feel civic's 0-60 mph of 7.7s is quite far, yet near to kizashi's 7.5 second time, then i have nothing to say except, get your facts right.

Not sure about the state of tune of the Civic in the US, but the stock Indian Civic is not a very fast car, and it certainly can't do 0-60 mph (more or less same as 0-100 kmph) in anything like 7.5 secs. In fact, it is a good 2 more seconds than that. Civic may be fun to drive but you can't really call it quick, not at least in comparison with the Kizashi.

Refer article: Honda Civic 1.8 S MT specification - Know Honda Civic 1.8 S MT specs in India | CarDekho.com

Kizashi (MT anyway) is faster to the ton than Accord, Sonata, Camry, Laura TSI, Altis, Civic, Cruze and what have you (all Indian stock models by the way). AFAIK Kizashi MT is the only one in this gang that can get to a 100 kph from standstill in less than 8 seconds!

I think comparing the Kizashi to Civic/Altis on most parameters is quite unfair - It is definitely a segment above these cars. When I started following the launch of this car in India almost 6-8 months back, the value prop to my mind was Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable, which sounded mouth-watering, but clearly the story has taken its turn another way.

Cant see many people calling it a Suzuki as opposed to a maruti :)

One question though, does it hold the revs in manual mode or does it auto-shift one's it is near the red-line?

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjlives (Post 2257454)
Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable

Good expectation. But isn't it too much to ask for? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 2255329)

Built at Suzuki's plant in Sagara, Japan, the build quality and finish is of a very high order, the best yet seen in a Suzuki.

Great review sidindica.

One clarification. Is this not being made in India? Is this the reason for the high price point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitwlele (Post 2257590)
One clarification. Is this not being made in India? Is this the reason for the high price point?

It is a CBU...Direct import from Japan.
And yes, thats one definite reason for the high price point. And I remember GTO mentioning (in elsewhere thread) that the being a CBU will result in higher On-Road price as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 2257585)
Good expectation. But isn't it too much to ask for? :)

Yes, but we customers have the right to ask, right? And in a value-conscious society like ours, anything isn't too much to ask :D

Btw - SX4, is a very capable car - good engine, great space, appropriate GC, reasonable driving manners and fair amount of road presence. But a Honda Jazz (perhaps you'll agree that it belongs to a segment lower) sells for more than what SX4 does. Point is, Maruti/Suzuki have to compete on price and give phenomenal value if they want to have their products considered seriously.

Anyway, 10% more than Civic would have been OK for me to pay for Kizashi, 10% lower than Accord is not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjlives
I think comparing the Kizashi to Civic/Altis on most parameters is quite unfair - It is definitely a segment above these cars.

Yes. And yet not quite at the Accord/Camry segment, which reflects in the way MSIL priced it between both segments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjlives
When I started following the launch of this car in India almost 6-8 months back, the value prop to my mind was Accord spec car at Civic like price from Suzuki stable, which sounded mouth-watering, but clearly the story has taken its turn another way.

True. The pricing is clearly off by close to 2lakhs. I know that the K was on your list, but with the pricing gone awry, what are the options you are considering now ?

BTW, thanks for clearing out the performance part on how the Kizashi stacks against the competition. Looks like history will get repeated a la the Baleno, a good car screwed due to bad pricing. But then, it would be good if history also repeated for the KIzashi in the form of price-cuts, like it was done for Baleno and which made it a good option for many of us. Let's wait and see. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitwlele (Post 2257590)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2257611)
It is a CBU...Direct import from Japan.
And yes, thats one definite reason for the high price point. And I remember GTO mentioning (in elsewhere thread) that the being a CBU will result in higher On-Road price as well.

AFAIK, CBU has approximately 106% import duty as opposed to 60% for CKD. Hence the high prices. There was some news last year saying that the govt. is thinking of reducing these duties. But nothing has happened as yet.