Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 09:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS lavished with leather interiors

Congrats! The seats look really really nice. I can't wait to see the ETIOS beat that UGLY Dzire in sales.

Thanks to Toyota to heat up the competition in this space. Maruti, your move!
Old 5th March 2011, 08:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I can't wait to see the ETIOS beat that UGLY Dzire in sales.
You will probably have a long wait. first for the etios to get a diesel heart and then get into the queue.
Old 5th March 2011, 16:29   #18
BANNED

I agree with goandude. But personally I dont feel that the dzire cant be beaten in sales even if toyota introduces a diesel etios. People trust maruti suzuki more than any other company and 7 out of 10 best selling indian cars are from maruti.
But, if toyota comes up with a diesel etios, it will surely be a tough competitor for the dzire.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
I agree with goandude. But personally I dont feel that the dzire cant be beaten in sales even if toyota introduces a diesel etios. People trust maruti suzuki more than any other company and 7 out of 10 best selling indian cars are from maruti.
But, if toyota comes up with a diesel etios, it will surely be a tough competitor for the dzire.

MSIL is ready with a new shortened Dzire . With the lower excise duty it will be much cheaper than the current variant. Toyota will have to ramp up the production of the Etios ( it will touch 5000 per month with 2 shifts in April as per Economic Times), launch a diesel variant and expand its dealer network manifold.

Dzire will continue to sell in big nos at least for the next 2-3 years.
Old 6th March 2011, 02:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

CONGRATS on the new car ! Silver looks quite good on the Etios. Wish you lots of safe & trouble free miles on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Congrats! The seats look really really nice. I can't wait to see the ETIOS beat that UGLY Dzire in sales.

Thanks to Toyota to heat up the competition in this space. Maruti, your move!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
You will probably have a long wait. first for the etios to get a diesel heart and then get into the queue.
Quote:
Just not a diesel heart will help Etios take over Dzire. I dont think the production capacity of Toyota is anywhere near Maruti. As of now I am seeing the production capacity of around 12,000 units for all models combined [please correct me if I am wrong] and they have such a huge waiting period. So Toyota will need to ramp up their production atleast double to make sure they take on Dzire face to face in sales. Dzire alone sells 9K per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
MSIL is ready with a new shortened Dzire . With the lower excise duty it will be much cheaper than the current variant. Toyota will have to ramp up the production of the Etios ( it will touch 5000 per month with 2 shifts in April as per Economic Times), launch a diesel variant and expand its dealer network manifold.

Dzire will continue to sell in big nos at least for the next 2-3 years.
Rajneesh, I dont think anyone has a solid info about the shortened version of Dzire - I guess this is still @ the brain storming level whether to bring the next Dzire as a CS or not ! But then Maruti doesn't have much choice as well

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th March 2011 at 02:13.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:14   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vishnugs, Congrats on your practical sedan.

Quote:
People trust maruti suzuki more than any other company and 7 out of 10 best selling indian cars are from maruti.
It's not trust, rather distribution. Maruti has 5X (Yup, that's FIVE times) the sales outlets as Toyota, and 10X the service network.

A brand like Toyota commands atleast as much trust as Maruti in India (just ask cabbies), if not more.

There's also production constraints, which the Dzire & Etios both suffer from. We'll know the true demand of these cars only when the waiting periods are zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
MSIL is ready with a new shortened Dzire .
That too. I was told by a Tata marketing chap that the split between the Indigo CS and the regular (previous gen) Indigo was 50:50. With the Dzire CS, Maruti will have yet another product for 4 odd lakhs. Man, think of the customer who walks into a Maruti showroom with 5 lakhs in , not knowing what car to buy Confusion-phobia!

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2011 at 22:15.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 23:24   #22
BHPian

Hello friends, thanks again for your wishes.

Incidentally, I'm involved in a company that specializes in Telemetrics where we work on CAN, OBD and similar technologies. In our experience, very few cars in India actually are compliant to OBD II and open CAN standards, most of them take this piece for granted. Either their ECU is not modern or they are crippled by proprietary communication protocol including the Marutis, Fiats and even Toyota (atleast Innova). Innova follows standard ISO communication, but crippled by proprietary pids.

As a regular test, I was scanning the ETIOS OBD aswell with ELM scanner. To my wildest surprise, the car ECU shared most of the information in a standard protocol CAN 11/ ISO 15765-4.

CAN-ID ECU#1
AUTO, ISO 15765-4 CAN 11/500

I was able to pull the following data in the first shot itself.

Absolute Throttle Position
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed
Calculated Vehicle Load
Intake Manifold Pressure
Fuel System 1 Status

The data report was almost instantaneous ~15 times a second (15 Hz).

I was glad that Toyota has not compromised on the technical intricacies of the car though they have cut costs elsewhere. Kudos Toyota for this. I plan to buy a OBD Bluetooth version also to pull the data to an Android device. Will keep you posted.
vishnugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 23:36   #23
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post

I was glad that Toyota has not compromised on the technical intricacies of the car though they have cut costs elsewhere. Kudos Toyota for this. I plan to buy a OBD Bluetooth version also to pull the data to an Android device. Will keep you posted.
Firstly congratulations!
The new seats and door trims do make the interior much nicer. Wish Toyota had offered a superior trim option. Anyway looks like you took the bull by the horns and sorted out the only thorn in Etios' flesh!

It is good to know someone here who is an expert on the OBD. Will keenly look out for updates on this aspect.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:23   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Vishnugs

Today all cars use OBD configuration. I actually saves them money and time while servicing the car. Besides all cars today have to use an advanced ECU to match the latest BSIV, EU6 etc. norms, so doing away with an ECU or OBD is not an option to save money.

It is great to see you do up the interiors and get the essential features the way you wanted right upfront. Yep, finally if one is keeping the car for say 5 years then it is best one lives each of those years to the fullest.
Old 10th March 2011, 22:10   #25
BHPian

Hey Vishnugs congrats on the buy. It is a real VFM car which I have test driven. Just one question how much is the mileage per liter?
Old 10th March 2011, 22:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
Hey Vishnugs congrats on the buy. It is a real VFM car which I have test driven. Just one question how much is the mileage per liter?
Hey octane, I havent completed the test yet. I filled the tank 415 KMs back and now the gauge shows 2/8. So I would have roughly consumed 75%, with that rough calculation, I think its close to 12-13 kmpl, with full a/c and pure stop go situations and short runs, test drive by friends, which is pretty much the worst case scenario. I will let you know once I do a tank fill tomorrow or the day after.
Old 13th March 2011, 15:05   #27
BHPian

Hello folks, I finally filled the tank. The mileage I got was 10.9 kmpl. I expected definitely couple KM more than this. Hope it improves in the coming tank fills.
Old 13th March 2011, 23:14   #28
BHPian

Congrats vishnugs for the Etios. The interiors have been tastefully done. FE of 10.9KMPL certainly seems to be on the lower side, though.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:19   #29
BHPian

congrats vishnu,

I'm glad you actually stuck the leather into the innards of the car, because from what I remember of the insides, they were a little too *bland* for my taste(s).

I only wish the rear tail light arrangement was a little more imaginative... however, have a brill time with your car and be safe mano.

cheers.
ak
Old 9th April 2011, 00:56   #30
BHPian

Hello folks,

Reasonably good news with fuel efficiency. We have covered 1700 km now and on a highway drive from Bangalore to Chennai, we were able to clock 16.4 KMPL for 320 kms.

In a subsequent test of 340 km highway + 180 km city drive, i got 13.5 KMPL. In this run the car was given for service, may be that was a small pull down factor to the mileage.

Vishnu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks