Old 8th January 2006, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Initial Review: BMW M5 E60

BMW E60 M5

Colour: Alpine White
Interior: Black Complete Merino Leather
Wheels: 167M (M6 Wheels)
Fully Loaded

Well, this is my first review ever and I couldn't be more pleased to do one for such a phenomenal car. I know this isn't really the best way to go about a review (giving out my verdict before the review even starts), but I really don't think that anyone would expect anything else. Since people are probably not aware of much of the features of the car, I'll try to give out a detailed review. If anybody else wants any further details please post a reply.

STYLING
I love the styling! It's just great! I had a choice between the M6 and the M5 and I chose the M5. To me the general 6 series is just ugly and would never be caught dead buying one. The 5 on the other hand is just a piece of art. I love the angel eyes, the muscular front and the side angle. With the M kit its just all the more better. Styling as people would guess doesn't just include the exterior but also the interior. The interior is also good but have to say, its a bit on the boring side. It's very elegant in its own right, but it doesn't have the impact that a sports interior would. I love certain aspects of it like the SMG paddles with the lit + - signs, the gear lever with the lit R-N-D/S functions.

ENGINE
What can I say that would do justice to this masterpiece? It is absolutely phenomenal. As of this moment, I can't really apply full throttle, but even with 'just' 400-hp, S1(slowest gear-changes) and half throttle, this car would be as fast as a Skoda RS with full throttle. I'm waiting for the 2000-km mark and first service after which I can rip the car. For the first time yesterday, I changed it to 507-hp and boy was it noticeable. The throttle response was immediate and I can only imagine what it would be like once I can drive without restrictions. The V10 has a very different growl from the Supercharged AMG's. It is more muted and a very toned grunt rather than the blast from the AMG.

GEARBOX
SMGIII is miles ahead from any other gearbox IMO. It is just amazing. I can drive extremely comfortably when I want to in D1 mode with automatic changes to track-performance, S6, within a matter of seconds. I don't know how many people know this but in S6, SMGIII is the fastest transmission in the world with gear-changes coming about in 65-ms. In Manual mode (S) I find myself laughing with glee as to how much fun I'm having. I've driven a lot of fun cars but never can i say, was it so enthralling to learn so much. I was actually scared about handling an SMG paddle-shift gearbox but I learned it within a matter of hours. Now I am completely comfortable and find myself trying to use S mode whenever I can. Obviously in Mumbai traffic, especially around Haji Ali in the evening, I can't use S mode.

HEADS-UP DISPLAY
The HUD is just PERFECT! I really really love it. Apart from the cool factor, it is incredibly useful when your going at speeds above of 80 km/h in Bombay, where people are just crossing left right and centre without looking and people are just cutting across lanes. It is absolutely magnificent when coupled with the SMGIII 7-speed gearbox. It shows you the RPM counter and the speed and the gear you are in. I especially love the RPM counter as you can really rip it without ever having to worry about overdoing it. I haven't used it in anything other than M mode and I never ever shut it. Its just an integral part of the car and really can't believe some people actually opt out of the option.

HANDLING
I'm really all praises for this car and the way it drives. Its so great in the corners that it really surprised me to no end. The first time I drove it was in rush hour from Lower Parel to Peddar Road via Prabhadevi, so I really could not figure out much. But then day turned into night, and the silent wasp turned into a killer beast. I just couldn't believe myself as to how easily I could take turns without ever feeling the need to slow down. It was quick and composed, unlike other manufacturers cars I've driven. The steering is extremely responsive and extremely well weighted. I never ever feel like I'm losing control. There's only one car I've driven that would defeat this car in terms of handling and that is the Carrera S. Other than that I really can't remember any car that would even come close to this.

COMFORT
This was an area I was actually scared of. I knew BMW's were always the sportier of the bunch so was always expecting a nightmare of hard suspension and broken backs, but again WOW! The seats are so amazing. They wrap you up and when your going fast in a corner, the active bolsters come up according to the speed and hold you in so you don't wiggle around. You can adjust the width according to yourself and the second best feature according to me is the fact that you can adjust the lower length of the seat so that you get support upto your knees. I know this is in all other BMW's but I just love it. The car eats bumps and potholes like anything. I was worried it would've been too low and too harsh but that is absolutely not the case. It goes over each and every speedbump and pothole with 4 people in the car and you really wouldn't notice it.

OK Thats it for now. I'll try and post some more info in some time but I'm quite tired typing all of this up right now.
Guess? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2006, 15:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very well said mate.. glad u chose the M5.. P.S. U did forget to mention about the boot space though!!
Old 8th January 2006, 16:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great first review Guess. A very nicely written and comprehensive report on the M5. Hope to get further updates on the cars in time to come
Old 8th January 2006, 20:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are you having any issues with Indian fuel? What do you use.
Old 8th January 2006, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

speed 97, i suppose. Or maybe there is a secret special fuel avalible only on special request......
Old 8th January 2006, 20:43   #6
BHPian

Maverick: I know. I'm so happy I went for it and my cousin who got the 750, drove the car today and was like even I shouldve gone in for the M5 .

MPower: No real issues as of yet. I am regularly putting Speed97 and have absolutely no intention of putting any other unless if absolutely necesary.

My review is not yet over. There is a lot to cover but was getting bored and thought might as well post how much ever I've typed and see the responses.

Last edited by Guess? : 8th January 2006 at 20:44.
Old 8th January 2006, 21:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey guess

nice review ...see now my problem is i dont know wether to wait for the 2007 Skyline GTR or shall i just pick up an M5 ???they are both close my heart..

take good care of her ..
cheers
Old 8th January 2006, 22:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great review of a great car. Looks like ur enjoyin every sec of ur new car. Enjoy dude, life doesn't get any better
Old 9th January 2006, 17:59   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm waiting for the 2000-km mark and first service after which I can rip the car. For the first time yesterday, I changed it to 507-hp and boy was it noticeable.
Yeah right! I saw this car yesterday being R-I-P-P-E-D on the Haji Ali drive (4 guys in the car toward worli) on the lazy Sunday afternoon. All I can say is that my lower jaw dropped! When the "beast" accelerated in first from a low speed, the rear end slided out in a marginal but noticeable way. I had to lower my glasses to listen to that precision oriented german engineering. Mind boggling stuff is all that I can say.

Very well written first impression. Drive her well. You have made a connoiseurs choice.

GTO

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2020 at 18:54. Reason: Minor typo
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2006, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Admin : Slang / SMS Language is not permitted on Team-BHP, and you have been warned several times before. Do read the board rules to preserve your active account on Team-BHP
Old 10th January 2006, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm told a new M5 packed up on the expressway last week, and the car had to be towed away. 2 celebrities were in the car.
Problem with the paddle shifter, which got stuck!!
Our BMW man--maverick, any news??
Old 10th January 2006, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Scooby

I heard there was a huge party in Amby Valley for new years eve which had some really snazzy cars out there. This might have packed up post celebrations
Old 10th January 2006, 15:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Scooby

I heard there was a huge party in Amby Valley for new years eve which had some really snazzy cars out there. This might have packed up post celebrations

Yes our dear Sachin was also in the car, Sanjay Narangs, white M5
Old 10th January 2006, 15:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

Looks like BMW need to work on keeping the Indian dust mites out of their electronics! Nothing to beat the good ol' manual shift if you ask me.

Its seriously time these guys started testing their prototypes in India!
Old 10th January 2006, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05
I'm told a new M5 packed up on the expressway last week, and the car had to be towed away. 2 celebrities were in the car.
Problem with the paddle shifter, which got stuck!!
Our BMW man--maverick, any news??
Yup the car is at our workshop.. i had been there to tow the car from the expressway.. the cars clutch is busted.. dont know how he managed it..

Most Viewed