Team-BHP - Scorpio mHawk VLX Airbag - Initial OwnerShip Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Scorpio mHawk VLX Airbag - Initial OwnerShip Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/97447-scorpio-mhawk-vlx-airbag-initial-ownership-review.html)

I was eying on Scorpio for sometime. Was using Esteem and loved that vehicle but for some reason had to sell it and the next buy without regret was scorpio vlx. Had booked the vehicle on 6th Feb from India garage and
got the delivery on 26th Feb with lot of confusion and tensions.

All the eagerness,tension and wait was worth. I got the delivery of my white mHawk VLX airbag version.

I had a wedding to attend and had to take the vehicle delivery on that day itself. As promised, the dealer delivered on date but little delay in time.

As we had to leave for a wedding to chitradurga I did not put any accessories to it. Took it as stock.

The feel is great, all in all a worthy buy and worthy wait. Its massive and yet smooth. Rugged yet delicate.

Chitradurga drive gave me a chance to test most of the feature on the first day itself. Dealer asked me to maintain btw 60-80 kmh atleast for the first 1000 km. And I'm following it(some one hit me for this).

80 Km/h on a highway on this vehicle is almost like brisk walking on the road trust me.

As you all know VLX version comes with following features.

Micro Hybrid: Though quite interesting but not very helpful. The feature is shut the engine off at signals when the gear is put to neutral and clutch is released. Automatically start the engine when clutch is applied. This is really a fuel saving technique is traffic jams that you face in bangalore daily. But this feature in my vehicle works sometime and doesn't sometimes. I'm yet to understand when it doesn't. I could notice that when you stop the vehicle from top gears from 2nd gear onwards and bring it to neutral, the engine fails to shut down automatically. Will report more once I understand this well.

Tyre Tronics: The pressure on 4 wheel. This is displayed on digital dash board at engine on. The psi reading is not same as you see from the traditional ones. There is variation of 1 unit. And the latest versions of Scorpio do not have psi display for the 5th wheel. As the 5th wheel is not alloy. Got to know that earlier version had the sensor for the 5th wheel too.

Cruise Control: I love this feature. As I was advised not to exceed 80kmh initially, this feature came very handy in bangalore - chitradurga road. Its hard to maintain the speed through the accelerator. I set the speed to 80 and relaxed leaving the accelerator. The vehicle maintains the speed at 80. Amazing feature and works well too. The vehicle accelerates automatically on up hill.. Could feel the engine roar. With highways improving well with 4 lanes, I'm sure this is a very good feature. Its a worthy buy. The control comes to you the moment you touch the brakes. later you can get back to the previous speed with one press of the Res button given on the steering.

Auto sensing head lamps and rain sensor. Headlights switch on at dark automatically. Though not a very useful feature but good to have.

Automatic rain sensor: I was lucky to test even this. Mid way it rained heavily and sensor activates the visors. The speed of the visors are also controlled automatically. When the rain is heavy it wipes faster as expected. Very well done.clap:

All in all the experience is very good and very excited to drive this mighty one.

7Captain vs 8FF vs 7Side Seating: I actually planned and booked 7 Captain seats, the dealer did not have 7 captain but asked me to take 8FF and later change to 7 captain if required but, the one delivered was 7 side seating. I must say it was a boon. 7 captain is actually 5 seats IMHO when loaded with luggage and not comfortable either, however 8FF can take another person in center but back row again cannot be utilized except for luggage. 7 side really could not only take luggage but also accommodate seating. On return, the vehicle was loaded with 8 people with luggage. Trust me side seating is best. Two old people could stretch their legs and sleep. On seating this what I felt after scratching my head a lot on it.

However some things are very bad.

1. Door lock handle(interior): It looks so low quality, the look and feel is very demotivating. M&M should really look at this.
2. Micro hybrid still needs improvement.
3. Clutch is harder than I expected. May be it would be for few kms. Hoping it becomes smooth after a while.

Audio system:
I should say its of very poor quality, the local ones perform better than nippon one. The display is non user friendly and processing speed is very low. It comes with bluetooth support, but the other person cannot hear well. The mic is bad and needs improvement. YOU CANNOT use the call feature, Others cannot hear you well. I rate it -ve on this.
It has usb reader and sd card reader. Directories are not displayed while seeking, you need to press info to see which folder came in. Multiple folder support is not present. And be aware you put a card containing many folders and files, it wont work(my 16 gb card was not recognized when loaded full with only songs). Ipod, though I see a mark with ipod, ipod was not recognized. Not sure if it is a bug or that is how it is.
Sound quality is ok, the speakers are just the basic ones you get in the market. Dont expect a very good quality audio. I'm planning to change it if I can without hampering any other features. I rate it 1/5 for the audio system. :deadhorse

Will put more reviews as and when I feel worth sharing here. Thanks to team-bhp. The reviews and posts helped me to make the right choice.

Attaching few snaps as well.

Total Km run 650km.

Cheers,
Vadi

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Smiley usage restricted to two smileys per post. Please refrain from using excessive smileys.

Kindly read the Announcements section before proceeding any further.

Its raining Scorpios on Team bhp! Congrats on the buy, the beast looks amazing. You mentioned above that you were thinking of adding some accessories, What are they?

Wishing you many happy miles! :)

Yet another Mahinda Scropio ownership thread in T-BHP! Congratulations on your new buy, abacusv. clap:

Seriously, you need to take your beast out and click some stunning pics in daylight. And don't forget to share the pics with us.

Drive safe, my friend.

OT : I know you've not gone through the announcement section, before posting here. Yeah, you've broken the 'two smileys per post' rule. :D

I highly recommend you to go through the announcement, before you further post here.

Sooo many Scorps on Bhp, Congrats!! Abacus. Could you please share the OTR prices and the freebies you got with it ? There is an ad running in the papers which says that there is 50k discount on this. Is it true ?

@Zappex, the stock one looks good and actually you dont need any accessories. But 5th wheel alloy is optional and I have asked for it for extra 5.5K. Dealer has promised to give even the sensor for it. Had plans of bullbar but various review in team-bhp made not to go for it. Tint is pending. I feel its necessary during summer. Nothing more is planned for it as of now

@Klub Class, thank you. I did go through the announcements and there are lot of scorpio postings. Was excited and saw its not a bad idea to start a new post to get needed support.

@2500cc, It costed 12.03 on road bangalore. There is 31K cash discount (includes insurance and Ex showroom price). 50K discount was running in the month of december. If it is posted this month go for it.

Dealer gave basic accessories.
1. floor mat, which are not good I'm planning to change.
2. scuffplates to avoid scratches while getting in and getting out of your vehicle.
3. Tint and set covers and and idolr :uncontrol

Cheers,
Vadi

A hearty congratulations on getting the beast home! I have been a scorpio vlx owner myself and it was great! Post some interior pictures too and keep us updated about the car.
You are right. The micro-hybrid engine is just a namesake IMHO. At the most it may save upto 5% fuel. Do not depend entirely on the tiretronics system. Though it is a wonderful feature, it is not accurate most of the times.

The nippon music system is a disappointment as you already have noticed. But these are just minor things which shouldn't affect you.
Enjoy the best and crunch as many miles as you can! The clutch will improve and become much better after the first service dont worry about it :)

PS - I dont think you should get the bullbar at all. It spoils the overall look of the beast. The most you should get is a simple nudge guard, the same as rjstyles' scorpio which looks simply breathtaking.

Abacusv, Congrats on the butch scorpio.Looks mean.Comprehensive review too.WHITE ROCKS!!!.The scorpio looks great in white.Do update.Drive HIM safe.
Sreehari

Looks fantastic. Fantastic review to share the goods as well as the bads. My favorite color for this car.

Nippon system should be removed and some nice ICE should be done to this wonderful car.

Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by abacusv (Post 2263219)
Micro Hybrid: Though quite interesting but not very helpful. The feature is shut the engine off at signals when the gear is put to neutral and clutch is released. Automatically start the engine when clutch is applied. This is really a fuel saving technique is traffic jams that you face in bangalore daily. But this feature in my vehicle works sometime and doesn't sometimes. I'm yet to understand when it doesn't. I could notice that when you stop the vehicle from top gears from 2nd gear onwards and bring it to neutral, the engine fails to shut down automatically. Will report more once I understand this well.
[/b]

Congrats on your new beast!! About the micro hybrid, was wondering if the owners manual would have any clarifications about how it works? Stop-start technologies in many other cars are designed NOT to work under conditions, for eg, when the engine is not yet at operating temperature, or if ambient temperature is outside limits or AC is under full load etc.
Just wondering if it is the same with the Scorpio as well.
Do all Scorpios come with those graphics or are they an option?
I have never been an SUV person but have always admired the Scorpio for its evolution and adoption of technology. Also love its muscular looks.
One thing I HATE about the Scorpio (..and the Safari) are those hideous(sorry!!) wheels. They are too chunky and knobby and "ice-cream truck-y" for my taste, but then thats just me.
congrats again and happy driving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hossdoc (Post 2269941)
Congrats on your new beast!! About the micro hybrid, was wondering if the owners manual would have any clarifications about how it works?
===============
congrats again and happy driving!

Yes, have read that and can understand few of them. As in 10 Kmh speed reached between two MH activation. A/C load has not been mentioned but advised not to use when the load on battery is high. Temperature is also a factor, will observe and post my observation here.

The graphics comes with VLX versions onwards.

1200 crossed and more to go, will update as and when I get details to post.

Thanks for support.

Cheers,
Vadi

Congrats on the Scorp.
agree: The Scorpio being the mile muncher it is, a good music system is a must for long drives.

Since you have upgraded yourself from an Esteem, how do you feel about the Scorp's handling and second row seat comfort?

Congratulation on the Scorpio, your review was nice and crisp.

Do update your ICE and keep us posted.

Happy and safe driving

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeva (Post 2270058)
Congrats on the Scorp.
agree: The Scorpio being the mile muncher it is, a good music system is a must for long drives.

Since you have upgraded yourself from an Esteem, how do you feel about the Scorp's handling and second row seat comfort?

These two cars cannot be compared at all. However somethings can be.
Esteem is crampy. The back row in esteem is really for 2 people 3 people will definitely tire you down on long drives. Now having said that You really should not compare with Scorpio. However, the mid row seating comfort is fine in scorpio. 3 people can sit luxuriously. We had 4 people in one of the drives and its just ok for a lean, short people.

Driving view is same when compared to esteem and scorpio. Unlike the latest cars, esteem view is till the bonnet. Same with scorpio. Esteem is a very nice car in that segment. I gave away with hard heart. 1.3L engine does its justification.

I've driven fiat Punto multijet and Manza too. I can tell you with no doubt(sorry if its offensive). In spite of scorpio's bulky built, the driving is much more easier than these two diesel variants. I've been driving in city for almost 10 days now and no complains in the ease of driving.

Mileage checked: 10KM flat in city and 12.8-13 on highways with A/C on. Expecting it to improve a bit after 1st service.

Just want to know from the owners of the scorpio. Is it really necessary to maintain btw 60-80KMh till the first service?

Hi abacusv first of all congrats on the beast.

I myself have purchased a same varient in the month of December please find the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

Regarding your query of maintaining speed of 60 - 80 KMPH until the first servicing.

It is advised that you do not cross 80 KMPH and not cross 2500 RPM until the first 1000 KMS until the beast is run in and the same was advised at the time of delivery.

I followed the ritual and after crossing 1000KMS, I let the beast loose. Just recently I finished the first service on my beast and it is more smoother and refined IMHO.

@octane78, had read your post, looks great. I've crossed 1000 km now, still some have advised to stay in the limit till the first service.

Whats your opinion on the bull bar? how much did it cost?