Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 22:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..

Hey Kamal.sn, congrats on your new ride!!! Here's wishing you miles and miles of happiness! I have a question; did you try any kind of off-roading mild or otherwise, how's the performance of the 4WD system? I test drove the Tuscon before my purchasing an Endeavour but didn't get to try off-roading with it.
Old 14th August 2011, 22:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Hey Kamal,

Congrats!!!

BTW, how much did they pay you for the exchange of the zen?
Thanks..

1.7 Lakhs for the zen.
kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 12:16   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

when you bought the Tuc was there a rear parcel tray at all? Or did this come only in the UK spec vehicles?
Old 11th September 2011, 21:33   #34
BHPian

Today, I got the clutch plate and pressure plate changed under warranty. I have also got the transmission oil replaced. Now i see a remarkable difference n the pickup and even the NVL levels have gone down . Not sure whether it is due to the replaced parts or the gear oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
when you bought the Tuc was there a rear parcel tray at all? Or did this come only in the UK spec vehicles?
Hi Shankar, even my Tuc didnt come with a rear parcel tray and i guess it is the case with all Tucs sold in India ( havent seen any with a parcel tray ).

I have also searched all over ebay. Even though there are a couple of sellers, they do not ship to India.
Old 12th September 2011, 06:11   #35
BANNED

hi
how did you manage such a warranty for a discontinued vehicle?
or was it a dealer warranty?
good show though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Today, I got the clutch plate and pressure plate changed under warranty. I have also got the transmission oil replaced. Now i see a remarkable difference n the pickup and even the NVL levels have gone down . Not sure whether it is due to the replaced parts or the gear oil.

Hi Shankar, even my Tuc didnt come with a rear parcel tray and i guess it is the case with all Tucs sold in India ( havent seen any with a parcel tray ).

I have also searched all over ebay. Even though there are a couple of sellers, they do not ship to India.
Old 12th September 2011, 08:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hi
how did you manage such a warranty for a discontinued vehicle?
or was it a dealer warranty?
good show though!
I had got the clutch assembly replaced a couple of months back. I was not happy with the performance of the car ( hard gear shifts, high NVH etc.) after the clutch replacement and hence wrote a mail escalating the issue to the MD of the dealership from where i get the car serviced.

They agreed to change the clutch plate and pressure plate as all Hyundai spares come with a 10,000 kms/6 months warranty.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:02   #37
BANNED

well done
glad they looked after you as their consumer
good for Hyundai overall

Quote:
I had got the clutch assembly replaced a couple of months back. I was not happy with the performance of the car ( hard gear shifts, high NVH etc.) after the clutch replacement and hence wrote a mail escalating the issue to the MD of the dealership from where i get the car serviced.

They agreed to change the clutch plate and pressure plate as all Hyundai spares come with a 10,000 kms/6 months warranty.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:41   #38
BHPian

Today due to heavy rains in Gurgaon and some problem with the rain water drain system, the level 3 basement of my office building was full of water and mud.

The place in level 3 basement where i had parked my car was near to the water outlet from where the rain water was entering the basement alongwith mud. By the time the office admin announced on the PA system and i rushed to the basement, my car was badly stuck in the mud. I saw another person who had parked his Sx4 near to my car struggling to get his car out.

I had already panicked and so cud not take any photographs. I had almost forgotten that i had a 4wd SUV and situations like this would be a cakewalk for the silver fox. I sat on the driving seat worrying about how to drive barefoot and whether i will be able to get the car out safely. Then i suddenly noticed the 4wd lock button and there was an instant smile on my face. Started the car, pressed the 4wd lock button, put the car in reverse gear and drove out of the mud as if nothing had happened and to the surprise of the people around who were struggling with their sedans and hatchbacks.

From the time i purchased this car and when driving from office to home, i would search for a place where i could test the 4x4 capabilities of this car but could not find one and today i could test the same in an unwanted situation.

Attaching some pics of my Tucson after the 'mud-slinging' session.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-dsc_0245-medium.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - The Silver Fox Comes Home..-dsc_0246-medium.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:36   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Started the car, pressed the 4wd lock button, put the car in reverse gear and drove out of the mud as if nothing had happened and to the surprise of the people around who were struggling with their sedans and hatchbacks.
Hurray!
Isn't it nice that sometimes we buy something after a lot of deliberation and when time comes, it just works.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:15   #40
BHPian

I have got an international assignment within my company and will be leaving in 2-3 months. I will put up the silver fox for sale once everything is finalized :(
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:29   #41
BHPian

Dear BHPians, Wishing You All a Very Happy New Year..

I am happy that my international assignment could not materialize due to some personal reasons and i will be able to spend some more time with the silver fox.

The silver fox has crossed 69000 kms. Got the car serviced last week. The following was done apart from the consumables changed during service :

1) Front brake pads changed
2) Front brake discs changed
3) Switched to Mobil Delvac 1 ( got 6 litres from Batra spares for 4100 bucks )
4) Leakage of coolant corrected by applying loctite flange sealant on the joint on the engine side on which the radistor hose is connected ( thermostat valve cover )

I had asked the technician to use only 5.5 litres of oil but he poured all 6 litres when i was not around. I was monitoring the oil level for a week and it was a centimeter above the full mark ( with a cold engine ) and all the time i was worried about the excess oil getting into the intercooler and damaging the turbo.

Took the car to the ASC again this weekend and got the level corrected. About 500 ml excess oil was drained.

During the activity, also noticed that there was a coolant leak from the radiator hose again. This time the thermostat valve cover as well as the hose was changed to correct the problem. The pipe on the alluminium thermostat valve cover had developed an irregular surface due to corrosion and the radiator hose clamp was not able to securely clamp the hose. I wanted to understand if it was possible for the coolant to corrode the same. To my surprise i discover that the ASC uses tap water to mix with the coolant and i guess even the earlier ASC who had serviced the car before i purchased , also followed the same malpractice. The salts in the tap water could be the reason for corossion of the part. In my case, the part was for 800 bucks only, but i am not sure what damage the tap water has caused to the other components which are not visible.

Also the proportion of coolant to water was also not clear to them. Servo recommends 70:30 of water to coolant while what i found was that the coolant concentration was more in my case.

Today morning i noticed that the coolant level was just above the min mark ( as there was some coolant spillage when changing the radiator hose yesterday ). Immediately rushed to some nearby petrol pumps to purchase some distilled water. One of the pumps had bottles of distilled water in bottles without a proper seal ( cello tape as seal ) and without any proper labels. Bought the same from another pump which has proper sealed bottles with clear lables and bought two litres of it @ 15 bucks a litre.

I would like to advise fellow bhpians to keep a watch when giving their cars for service as sometimes we assume that big ASCs do properly follow best practices but they rarely do as even a simple practice of using distilled water for the coolant is not followed.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 2nd January 2012 at 18:57.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:15   #42
BHPian

Hi Kamal

First of all, congrats on getting a rockstar in your hands and kudos for loving it in every possible way! I have been following this thread closely for all your updates. I am sure many of us didnt grab one when it was in production in India primarily due to the cost factor. But otherwise, I think this is a beauty of an SUV. Many of the owners are still in love despite the odo reading in excess of 1,50,000! That shows how valuable this machine is.

I noted that you changed your oil to Synthetic recently. I use an Elantra CRDi and that should tell you loudly why I am fond of this car too :-) My car has crossed 1.15L kms and was adviced to stick on with mineral oil.

Would like to know the changes you felt after moving to Synthetic. I have a close friend who uses the Elantra Petrol and the change to Synthetic had been remarkable. I mean, I was "Wow" when I had it moving. It was so smooth that I couldnt believe I was driving the same car.

Congrats once again & wish you great experiences driving the CRDi engine!
Old 5th January 2012, 13:24   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Kamal,

What's the cost for front brake pads and disks?

Regarding borewell water in coolant - of course, all ASC are doing it in India - I already made a lot of noise about it at Skoda and I am sure it made no difference to them. At Hyundai, they are generally more polite and reasonable so they said they will try to take care at least for my Tucson...he he he!

@convivial,
I have switched to Mobil Delvac 1 for my Tucson in April 2010 (ODO was 93K something). Now the ODO is beyond 1 lakh KM. My feedback is - it may be marginally better, but is not worth the cost, honestly. Also, Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40) is thinner than the standard mineral oil Hyundai ASC uses (India Oil Servo), so in last 8 months, my Tucson consumed 1 L or so. And though I love the CRDi torque of the Tucson, whenever I get into my Laura TSi, I get blown away completely, so I think I have come back a full circle - there is no match for high revving, smooooth and tall geared petrols...No wonder you loved the feel of the petrol Elantra!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th January 2012 at 13:27.
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:45   #44
BHPian

Thanks! Very true - the TSI is an absolute gem! My friend recently bought a used RS and I know every bit of what you mean. In fact I am now on the lookout for one so that I can cut loose and call it a "drive"!

Thanks for the input. i would stick on to mineral oil, the heavy clutch is the only pain for the Elantra and Tucson engines. Otherwise, it is a beauty in terms of overall drive experience.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:05   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
the heavy clutch is the only pain for the Elantra and Tucson engines. Otherwise, it is a beauty in terms of overall drive experience.
You are so damn right and I am searching for a solution. Did you try replacing the clutch fluid completely? I am going to try that next.

Most Viewed