Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 20:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great review Sid.

You have covered almost every aspect except would love to hear how does it perform viz.a viz the Swift D since both share same engines now with this power to weight difference.

Also, I am completely appalled to see the quality of plastics and overall interior quality is downright down-market. Its almost like the interiors of a Indigo CS. I doubt if prospective buyers would be happy with this interior quality in particular when they pay almost 11 Lakhs OTR anywhere in south.
. The comparison with the Swift diesel will be much awaited. I own a Swift Vdi fitted with a K&N filter, Hawk performance brake pads, MGA alloys and done around 58k kms. Recently got the front suspension done up and changed to 185/70/R14 Michelin Energy XM1+ tyres from the stock 165mm ones that came fitted (that too I had changed to Bridgestone from cheap JK's). This was after I had test driven the SX4 diesel.

My initial feeling on driving the SX4 diesel was:

- The interior looks and feels similar to the Swift. The odometer console is the same, so are switches, indicator stalks, AC vents, gear shift knob, gear shift bag, steering.

- The pickup is not exactly the same or better than what you get in a Swift diesel. Those driving a Swift diesel will miss the sudden surge of power you get by flooring the accelerator. Was let down on this front.

- The boot is too high for comfort while backing up.

- And yes, though being a staunch Maruti loyalist (both my cars are Maruti, Swift Vdi & Alto Lxi), I asked myself the question if I would like to switch from my Swift Vdi to an SX4 Zdi at the cost that it is, the answer was NO !!! I'll wait for the upgraded new model of the Swift to be launched later this year.
Old 4th March 2011, 20:26   #32
BHPian

A very nice and balanced review Sid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a Maruti, it's a diesel (when petrol costs 64 bucks a liter!!) and it has a "dicky". The SX4 diesel will meet with success.
, but like Sid said, "is it too little, too late?"

No doubt it will sell. It's a Maruti, and a Diesel at that, but the competition is coming hard. And it's coming fast - a'la Verna RB.

Quote:
Equally, there will be a lot of overlap with its own petrol sibling (a la diesel Altis).
I have 1 example here. A close friend of mine has a year old SX4 Petrol with not more than 10,000 KMS on it. He was planning to get the SX4 Diesel when it was launched. Last evening he called to tell me that he is already struggling to get a fair valuation and price for the Petrol SX4.

Quote:
Yet, for me, the Vento diesel is a decidedly superior sedan. In every way, starting with the performance and zero turbolag.
No 2 ways about it. Yet I picked up a Linea Diesel 2 weeks back. But that's another story. For another day.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Sid. Hats off to the details you get into. I somehow do not see sales of the sx4 zooming with this launch. It will increase, but not significantly... but its a Maruti, so you never know !
Old 4th March 2011, 23:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great review Sid.

You have covered almost every aspect except would love to hear how does it perform viz.a viz the Swift D since both share same engines now with this power to weight difference.

Also, I am completely appalled to see the quality of plastics and overall interior quality is downright down-market. Its almost like the interiors of a Indigo CS. I doubt if prospective buyers would be happy with this interior quality in particular when they pay almost 11 Lakhs OTR anywhere in south.

Interiors of the SX 4 are way better than the Indigo as well as FIat ( Uneven gaps). This car has been reasonalbly successful & with the DDIS it will scale new heights.

The average Indian buyer seems to have a different opinion from the Team- BHP enthusiastis who favour the FIesta & the Linea which have not really done too well in the showroom sweepstakes.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:17   #35
BHPian

Nice review Sid. Being a Maruti, we can expect 2K+ sales for the Diesel variant alone.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

This should do good for the sales of the SX4. The SX4 has always been a good car with good features, immense space at a very affordable price. I am personally not a Diesel buff, but am sure that many people will find this option to be very appealing.

And not to forget you are getting this car in the range of several premium hatches.

The only thing I feel lacking though, is the engine, which could have had some more power. But its a maruti, which begins and ends with mileage
Old 4th March 2011, 23:58   #37
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 1.3 DDiS: Test Drive and Review

I strongly feel the Vento is still the car to beat in this diesel segment. The SX4 does not have the finish levels to match the Vento and ofcourse, the Vento offers more power. The price difference too is not very large.

One question though, why will you buy the SX4 when you can get the Dezire with almost the same specs at a cheaper price?

Sid: Great review and nice pictures. On a personal note, which was more fun to drive, the SX4D or the SwiftD?

I guess a small typo in your review, 90PS @ 4000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Engine and Performance

.... motor in a 16V DOHC in-line 4 cylinder configuration producing 90PS of peak power at 400 rpm and 200 NM of peak torque a a low 1750 rpm.
[/left]
Old 5th March 2011, 00:52   #38
BHPian

Having read about the Verna RB and new Fiesta 1.6 coming up in sid's great write up, I feel SX4 D isn't gonna impress too much. Personally I feel if SX4 is put in place of Dzire and Dzire (the so called 'sedan') stopped, then SX4 D will overtake the Alto in terms of sales!!!
Old 5th March 2011, 01:01   #39
BHPian

Another Diesel from Maruti. Another success? I doubt it. A 1.3 engine on this car really wouldn't do justice IMO. I have a feeling that this Multijet engine has been slightly over-used now. A car of this size and segment surely deserves something better. I would reserve further comments on that front until I TD this.

The chrome bits on the dashboard are a little over the top. Put it together with the cheap bits from the Swift (like the power window swtches, plastic quality on dashboard, etc.) and it just shows that Maruti is not trying too hard to please. Atleast not with this product.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 5th March 2011, 01:53   #40
BHPian

I think Fiat & Maruti are just filling the gap because they want to extract the maximum out of the 1.3 DDIS

Once they realise that the custmer is not going to pay 10+ Lakhs for 1.3 engines they will come out with the 1.6.

I am in search of a 1.6 diesel & was waiting for the 1.6 Linea to be launched with atleast 110 BHP. That power will justify the money & the capability of Linea or SX4.
Old 5th March 2011, 07:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Having read about the Verna RB and new Fiesta 1.6 coming up in sid's great write up, I feel SX4 D isn't gonna impress too much. Personally I feel if SX4 is put in place of Dzire and Dzire (the so called 'sedan') stopped, then SX4 D will overtake the Alto in terms of sales!!!
. In fact Maruti is currently working on a Dzire model (Indigo CS type). Should they plan to launch it, it will definitely have cost advantage in terms of lesser govt levies. They could then think of stopping production of the current Dzire and price the SX4 D attractively. Already the petrol SX4 is available at a huge discount and schemes attached. It suffers from a poor brand image and poor resale value. Seriously don't think they will do some mind boggling numbers at the current pricing of the diesel.

Maruti is the undisputed king of small cars, but when it comes to cars bigger than a 2 box, and in the range of 8 Lacs plus, the target segment is different and look at things differently and are spoilt with a lot of available options with great features.

Competitors do suffer on the spares and service network and most importantly the excellent service complaint response by Maruti, something that no one can ever take away from Maruti. Atleast Hyundai has not been able to till now, being in similar product categories...
Old 5th March 2011, 07:54   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review sid.

Apart from the fact that this is a diesel C-segment sedan, there's hardly any comparison with Vento TDi (IMHO). The interiors are almostly completely borrowed from the Swift Dzire and let's face it- looks cheap and not something that someone paying almost 10 lacs will want. But the ad campaign is in full swing- a pretty good one at that- and it's a Maruti and it's India, so we may well have a battle on ou hands. It's all good!
Old 5th March 2011, 09:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice review sid.

Apart from the fact that this is a diesel C-segment sedan, there's hardly any comparison with Vento TDi (IMHO). The interiors are almostly completely borrowed from the Swift Dzire and let's face it- looks cheap and not something that someone paying almost 10 lacs will want. But the ad campaign is in full swing- a pretty good one at that- and it's a Maruti and it's India, so we may well have a battle on ou hands. It's all good!
I would be sold for the SX4 1.6
Had been eagerly waiting for SX4 diesel for an upgrade from Estilo but 10lacs for a 1.3 is definaltly no no situation considering that everything is coming from Desire. MSIL, I hope you are listening this or may be you already knew. FIAT finally had to upgrade to 1.6. Will MSIL also go the same way? And if yes then please take into consideration to minimize the rear seat center hump and make it adequate for 5 comfortable seating.

When VW, FIAT and HONDA can provide better options, then why cant a local Manufacturer provided same things?

I have seen the same product that goes for export and they have far better quality of dash boards, fibres and interiors.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:52   #44
BHPian

@Sid, can you post a comparo on the SX4 DDiS, FIAT Linea & VW Vento ? on this thread, it would be beneficial for the prospective buyers of a Sub 10 Lac rupee sedan.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review.

Can anyone tell whats the major improvements in the features/interiors over petrol version if any?

Is AT version in the pipeline?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks