Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

^^^ The one on the Swift and Vista is not a VGT. Its a FGT engine.

The same VGT engine is used on the Punto 90HP, Linea MJD, Manza QJD, DZire D.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:04   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I know that the new SX4 has the VGT as I mentioned. I also am aware of the old DDIS being an FGT.
What I was trying to find out is whether this VGT 1.3 DDIS engine has enough juice in it to handle the extra weight etc of the SX4 car, without feeling under-powered. Is the Diesel SX4 a nice driver's car which gives back satisfying performance, given its 1.3 VGT DDIS engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
^^^ The one on the Swift and Vista is not a VGT. Its a FGT engine.

Old 22nd March 2011, 12:12   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I know that the new SX4 has the VGT as I mentioned. I also am aware of the old DDIS being an FGT.
What I was trying to find out is whether this VGT 1.3 DDIS engine has enough juice in it to handle the extra weight etc of the SX4 car, without feeling under-powered. Is the Diesel SX4 a nice driver's car which gives back satisfying performance, given its 1.3 VGT DDIS engine?
Here's a cut-out from Sid's review regarding the engine:

The SX4 DDiS is powered by the same Fiat 1.3 MultiJet motor that does duty in many other cars of Fiat, Tata and MSIL products. The SX4 gets a higher state of tune in the form of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger and powering the front wheels is a 1248 cc DDiS (Diesel Direct Injection System) motor in a 16V DOHC in-line 4 cylinder configuration producing 90PS of peak power at 4000 rpm and 200 NM of peak torque a a low 1750 rpm. Its the same form that powers the Linea, the Punto VGT 90 and the Manza. But, its the SX4 that gets its tuning almost perfect.

While the fiats and Tata feel sluggish due to inconsistent gearing, the motor in the SX4 feels relaxed and delivers its power in a fairly linear manner, unlike the swift where the turbo kicks in and the G-forces are felt to the driver. The "super turbo" DDiS motor is extremely user friendly in urban traffic and needs minimal gear changes, in fact, it doesn't get bogged down in third gear and its easy to pick up speed without a jerk that requires a downshift.

While the bigger "super-ior turbo" motors in Vento and Verna feel much quicker and have an edge in straight line performance, the DDiS in the SX4 gives you the best of both words-low speed cruising and strong mid range, though power tapers off after 4000 rpm. The turbo kick is felt at 1800 rpm but doesn't push passengers back like the motors of the verna and vento. In fact, its the most user friendly diesel motor in the upper C segment class and one of the SX4's USPs. At city or highway, the all round flexible nature of the motor is more than adequate for daily use and the close ratio gearing is optimized for an optimal blend of power and mileage. No idea about 0-100 tmings but the car disguised its low displacement motor well and felt much faster than its specs suggest. It can cruise comfortably in 130-140 kmph with the motor hovering at 2700-3000 rpm mark.

Refinement at idle is terrific and though this cold weather and brand new car did make the motor a bit audible inside the cabin, the clatter is not annoying. It revs freely to its 5200 rpm redline and once it gets driven, the refinement level improves significantly and the car makes for a good highway cruiser, as a result of this flexible motor.

This might clear some of your doubts.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Maruti Swift Dzire has a FGT and not a VGT.

Please excuse me for this post.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Gosh! You are right Klub_Class. My bad.

All I know (IMHO) is SX4 D is just about good. It lacks the modern touch found in the Vento and sheer brilliance of design of the Linea. The only thing that attracts is the Maruti A.S.S. and cheap spares and other maintenance cost. Otherwise, one can wait for the new Fiesta and the new Verna.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:28   #81
BANNED

thanks ajay but I did read his review.
Still didnt answer what I wanted.

I guess I shall simply need to TD that vehicle to see/ feel it for myself!
thanks!

Quote:
Here's a cut-out from Sid's review regarding the engine:

The SX4 DDiS is powered by the same Fiat 1.3 MultiJet motor that does duty in many other cars of Fiat, Tata and MSIL products. The SX4 gets a higher state of tune in the form of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger and powering the front wheels is a 1248 cc DDiS (Diesel Direct Injection System) motor in a 16V DOHC in-line 4 cylinder configuration producing 90PS of peak power at 4000 rpm and 200 NM of peak torque a a low 1750 rpm. Its the same form that powers the Linea, the Punto VGT 90 and the Manza. But, its the SX4 that gets its tuning almost perfect.

While the fiats and Tata feel sluggish due to inconsistent gearing, the motor in the SX4 feels relaxed and delivers its power in a fairly linear manner, unlike the swift where the turbo kicks in and the G-forces are felt to the driver. The "super turbo" DDiS motor is extremely user friendly in urban traffic and needs minimal gear changes, in fact, it doesn't get bogged down in third gear and its easy to pick up speed without a jerk that requires a downshift.

While the bigger "super-ior turbo" motors in Vento and Verna feel much quicker and have an edge in straight line performance, the DDiS in the SX4 gives you the best of both words-low speed cruising and strong mid range, though power tapers off after 4000 rpm. The turbo kick is felt at 1800 rpm but doesn't push passengers back like the motors of the verna and vento. In fact, its the most user friendly diesel motor in the upper C segment class and one of the SX4's USPs. At city or highway, the all round flexible nature of the motor is more than adequate for daily use and the close ratio gearing is optimized for an optimal blend of power and mileage. No idea about 0-100 tmings but the car disguised its low displacement motor well and felt much faster than its specs suggest. It can cruise comfortably in 130-140 kmph with the motor hovering at 2700-3000 rpm mark.

Refinement at idle is terrific and though this cold weather and brand new car did make the motor a bit audible inside the cabin, the clatter is not annoying. It revs freely to its 5200 rpm redline and once it gets driven, the refinement level improves significantly and the car makes for a good highway cruiser, as a result of this flexible motor.

This might clear some of your doubts.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:18   #82
BHPian

Instead of changing a 4 year old petrol SX4 for a diesel, will it be wise to swap the engine. How much would it cost to put diesel motor in petrol SX4 ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:22   #83
BANNED

doesnt make any sense to me.
first decide if you need the economy of diesel fuel based on your running.
if this is the case, sack the petrol 4 year old or wait till it is 5 years old and then sack it. buy a brand new diesel.
in these new gen vehicles it doesnt make sense in my opinion to try and do heart surgery of this kind. it was all very well 20-25 years ago when everyone had old ambys and fiats which sometimes had been driven for so long and had such poor compression that heart surgery was considered an option. not so in today's world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Instead of changing a 4 year old petrol SX4 for a diesel, will it be wise to swap the engine. How much would it cost to put diesel motor in petrol SX4 ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
gopinathann: I am not aware of the cost but can tell that it will be a bad idea to do so. Apart from engine, front suspension will require change for the additional weight of the engine. Fuel pump is different for petrol and diesel. Clutch might be different due to additional torque of diesel. I am not sure if Petrol clutch is hydraulic or not, diesel for sure is hydraulic. Gear ratio's will also be different. There will be hassle of sourcing full diesel engine with ECU. And finally reliability of the work done (warranty ?). Even if you plan to get the full engine from Maruti, it will cost a lot, certainly more than the difference if you sell the earlier car and buy new diesel. Just my views.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

Very good review indeed, have rated it 5 stars. Was eagerly awaiting for this review. I have now added SX4 D in the probable list of candidates for my next car, besides Vento TDi, Linea (1.6 Multijet, if & ever it gets launched), Verna RB & Fiesta 2011. Havent completely ruled out the lower range cars like the Manza & Etios (if their VFM proposition is too tempting to reject). I feel as if I am spoilt for choices. I am now eagerly awaiting for the TD report on TBHP of Verna RB & Fiesta 2011 whenever they get launched. I will make my choice after a thorough analysis of each of the TBHP reports & then test driving each car to my satisfaction. This whole exercise could take anywhere between 12-16 months, I am not in a hurry. God knows, by that time there could be a couple of more options.
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:31   #86
BHPian

@shankar

I think what you are seeking may be found out at my earlier post :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2269312

@ Ajay - you missed out the Verna - which also sports a VGT.

speaking of which, I've currently clocked around 2790kms with my SX4 ZDi. After the 1st servicing @1000km, the car seems to have come alive (even though I'm STILL running it in till 3000Kms)
The car is very driver friendly, good throttle response, nice braking (ABS comes handy in situations), comfy seats - front and rear, minimal cabin noise - most of my friends who I take for a 1st time spin ask me if the engine was a petrol! Kudos to Team Suzuki for the absolute noise reduction they've done with this car.
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:08   #87
BHPian

New "detent pin" in the diesel's gearbox

I'm a noob when it comes to technical stuff, so bear with me here -

My question(s) are related to the new "detent pin" technology used in the new SX4 diesel (see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2253552) -
1. Do the petrol and diesel SX4 variants have totally different gearboxes ?
2. If no, then why is the detent pin (which supposedly makes gear shifts butter smooth) not put in the SX4 petrol's gearbox too? Why would Maruti make 2 different gearboxes with different configurations? Is the technology expensive to produce?
3. If the technology cost is not much, can I expect a March 2011 production SX4 car to have the new, improved gearbox?

FYI, I will be getting delivery of a new SX4 ZXi on Monday March 4th, so am curious.

Last edited by etchemkay : 2nd April 2011 at 21:10.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:02   #88

Hi guys,
Great review SidIndica . I've been going through this thread all morning now. Amazing how the Japs can take someone else's technology (license it, I mean) and manage to turn out a much better and refined product than the developers of aforementioned technology. Now, Sid says Linear power delivery and vishnugs says it's Spikey, different strokes...?
I'm the proud owner of a Fiat Palio MJD and have been driving the car for two+ years now, I love the engine, I love the car and now this thread has made me want to test drive the SX4 Diesel, so much so that I'm heading over to the local dealership for a Test-drive, right after coffee. I'm gonna drive my Fiat over and get a proper back to back feel of the differences of the two engines, hopefully I might even come up with a coherent comparo of my own. I'll be sure to let you know. Ciao!
Old 7th April 2011, 12:19   #89
BANNED

thanks v much. I read that post dated 7th March in which you said there is NO TURBO LAG. Good to hear it.
Ref the suspension being a tad hard-ish- I think it is true that most Maruti's do have a harder, firmer suspension - this fact coupled with their monocoque chassis construction give a nice firm ride and decent-ish cornering ability.

[quote=Monaro CV8;2300568]@shankar

I think what you are seeking may be found out at my earlier post :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2269312
Old 20th April 2011, 16:45   #90

I took delivery of the SX4 VDI for my friend and drove the vehicle for 20Km in bangalore city traffic. Constantly stuck in 2nd and felt the same. 5 adults and A/c on full, the vehicle lagged in power.
Totally agree with unrealistic
1245 cc, 9.57L on road is not worth the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
I've owned a Swift VXi for the last (almost) 5 years. I test drove the SX4 ZDi variant last night.

It had 920km on the ODO and thus can be considered brand spanking new. I like at Andheri (W), Lokandwala - hence I have the luxury of pushing any TD vehicle at the infamous "Lokhandwala Back Road".

Took the vehicle out, pushed it as hard as I could. Sorry to say the vehicle failed to deliver in 2 very important aspects:

1. A 2-3second "lag" in pickup, which I'm assuming is the side effect of the minuscule 1.3l engine. I tried flooring it on first & second repeatedly, but the response time was horrid. Definitely not built for someone who's used to abusing the Petrol Swift to needle through cracks during traffic.

2. Considering I've owned a Swift for a prolonged period, it just gave me a horrendous sense of "Deja Vu". And I'm using the word "horrendous" in it's literal sense. No one wants to pay twice as much as the swift to sit in a slightly modified version of it. Everything from the ODO, Power Window buttons and even the A/C Vents were all too familiar.

Compared to the other cars offered in this segment (Read: Vento & Linea), I would advise ANYONE to go for the Vento Diesel Highline hands down, even though there is a price difference of roughly 55K.

Why you ask? Well, I'll tell you:

1. An additional, and much needed, 300 CC.
2. Premium VW tag.
3. Higher quality interior parts (Read: power mirror control, power window switches, etc.)
4. Rear A/C Vent - a very welcomed added bonus considering the insane Mumbai heat & humidity.
5. Aptly placed rear passenger reading lights.
6. Better Torque and Acceleration at lower gears and definite one up when picking up from a stand still.
7. A 2km/litre added advantage on both City and Highway mileage.
8. Motion sensor & Remote controlled Windows (Not essential, but definitely adds to the "Cool" factor).

The only con that I can think of is losing out on the amazing Maruti A.S.S.

Just my 2 cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks