Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 16:04   #46
BANNED

Re: Got my black Safari Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
One of my friend suggested that we should tank up as soon as the fuel indicator comes to halfway mark. That prevents excess evaporation of the fuel and gives better mileage. Any credibility in this theory?
Not much for diesel though it does apply. The FE, at most would vary about 1-2%.
But there are other advantages like better tank life, the fuel pump functioning better since it does not suck in the last portions of fuel with their impurities etc.

It is a good habit overall.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you see a White 4x4 Safari ambling around at 30 kmph, make sure you stop and make faces at the driver or moon him.
Venky, I thought Happywheels had a Mineral Red Safari, now who would we be making faces at?
Old 9th April 2011, 08:30   #48
BHPian

Its time to get new lighting for the bull with two Fog lamps in the Front. The OEM lights are pretty insufficient.

I saw few of the forum members have used Hella. How about Autopal? Any feedback on them? I believe its completely indian make like my bull and is priced lower.
Old 10th April 2011, 08:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Auxillary lights are good provided they are mounted correctly, otherwise you will have dancing lights instead of a steady beam which is what is required.
I'd suggest a headlamp bulb upgrade from the stock ones to 90/100, use ceramic holders and with a new plug-in harness with a relay, there will be no cutting of wires involved.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Auxillary lights are good provided they are mounted correctly, otherwise you will have dancing lights instead of a steady beam which is what is required.
I'd suggest a headlamp bulb upgrade from the stock ones to 90/100, use ceramic holders and with a new plug-in harness with a relay, there will be no cutting of wires involved.
I just checked with the service person in KHT motors. He suggested me not to go for upgrade as it would require cutting the Headlight wiring and make the warranty void. :(.
Any suggestion on a workshop in bangalore where I can get an upgrade without wire cutting?

BTW, recently started noticing the sub-seconds of lifelessness at 1500 rpm which was reported by Anuj and Suresh in their vehicles. Looks like its a bug in the recent Safaris.

Also noticed that vtt noise gets very loud when we are in 4th gear just below 1500 rpm and trying to accelerate. Anyone else noticed the same noise?
Old 16th April 2011, 08:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

I
Quote:
just checked with the service person in KHT motors. He suggested me not to go for upgrade as it would require cutting the Headlight wiring and make the warranty void. :(.
Any suggestion on a workshop in bangalore where I can get an upgrade without wire cutting?
No A.S.C will recommend a headlamp upgrade, as far as workshop for upgrade, any competent car electrician can do it, it can also be a D.I.Y, for details pls P.M. Happywheels, I got mine done by a local electrician whom i know for a long time.

Quote:
BTW, recently started noticing the sub-seconds of lifelessness at 1500 rpm which was reported by Anuj and Suresh in their vehicles. Looks like its a bug in the recent Safaris.
Strangely, I have stopped having this issue since my last service (40k kms), all that was done was put in a new air filter and voila, it's gone.
Old 16th April 2011, 21:08   #52
BHPian

Full Credits to KHT Motors due to which I got a shock of my life today. I came to know today afternoon that I have been driving my Safari with a wrong number plate since last 44 days..

Luckily,I went to KHT motors today after a heated conversation on the phone because my Smart Card had not yet arrived. They talk nicely on phone, promise check with RTO but they never call back.
On checking KHT Motor's register, I found that the Vehicle Number against my Name on their records was different than what is printed on my number plate.

They had anyways given me a shock during the time of delivery when I found that Chasis Number on the RTO Tax receipt was not matching with the one in my Safari. I just pray that they have not goofed up big time and not fooling me till now.

BTW, what can i do as a consumer for such goof up? Any suggestions?

Last edited by recker_us : 16th April 2011 at 21:12. Reason: .
Old 17th April 2011, 09:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Full Credits to KHT Motors due to which I got a shock of my life today. I came to know today afternoon that I have been driving my Safari with a wrong number plate since last 44 days
The same happened to us long ago when we bought a Santro from Trident, we were informed rather rudely that we need to get the car back to the showroom because we were running wrong number plates, this was almost a fortnight after taking delivery, not just that, when we got the RC book, the colour of the car as well as the version were different, had to give an earful to the top management of Trident before the errors were corrected. Even the insurance cover note given to us on taking delivery had some 16 mistakes printed and corrections attested by a small round seal.

In their hurry to sell vehicles, dealerships slip up on the paperwork not realising the trouble the owners of the vehicles are put into for their goof ups.

Quote:
Luckily,I went to KHT motors today after a heated conversation on the phone because my Smart Card had not yet arrived. They talk nicely on phone, promise check with RTO but they never call back.
Somehow, I was not at all impressed with the attitude of KHT Motors when it comes to selling a vehicle, I had gone there to buy a Nano, and was greatly disappointed with the sales representative's negative attitude, this was compunded by the don't care attitude of his superiors.
Old 17th April 2011, 11:32   #54
sarcar

Quote:
Full Credits to KHT Motors due to which I got a shock of my life today.
Very sad and frustrating to hear about your experience. As a prospective KHT customer, I am now having second thoughts.

A few days back I got an email from KHT stating that KHT Motors Bangalore is #3 on the All-India third Customer Satisfaction Index.

From what I could gather from the (ill-formatted) email, the numbers in square brackets are the Avg. CSI Score

#1. AUTOLINK ENTERPRISES (I) PVT LTD, Gurgaon [97.68]
# 2. A K GANDHI CARS, Nagpur [95.19]
# 3. KHT MOTORS [94.98]
# 4. CONCORDE MOTORS (INDIA) LIMITED [94.09]

* The mail does not mention the time and scope of the ranking.

Making such mistakes is quite unpardonable but even if you follow the "err is human" maxim, what is really bothersome is that KHT does not seem to bother much.

Old 17th April 2011, 19:35   #55
BHPian

Folks, In all my multiple interactions with both sales and service folks of KHT, its better to stay away from KHT and the BEST to go with Concorde Motors for several reasons.
One I like the most is that they keep up the promises they make, at least to me, they made it 100% or even more than 100% in many instances.

This is based on my own experience with Bangalore [Dairy circle] branch of Concorde and Brookfield branch of KHT.

Prem.
Old 1st May 2011, 23:11   #56
BHPian

Life has been boring off-late. Lots of workload preventing me from using Safari to work. A chaffeur driven Car at the end of a long day is more comforting than driving Safari in half sleepy conditions.
Looking forward to a 1000km types long trip to Tirupati and and Sriharikota over the next weekend. . Any must see recommendations?

BTW, the latest tank full guzzled up 44 litres for the 425 kilometres that i drove mostly in city traffic. Looks like Safari is settling for a mileage somewhere around 9.5kmpl.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:42   #57
BHPian

Last 2 weekends have been fairly busy for Safari after lazing in the parking lot over last one month.

I returned yesterday from a trip to Gokarna - Murudeshwar - Jog Falls and back. This help me understand the Safari better:

The Goods:
-------------
1. Good Roads or bad road doesn't makes a difference to the Safari. It swings through royally. Doesn't at all tire you even if you do 500+ kms in a day on not so great traffic and light conditions.

2. Power is always adequate for any hills section: You can cruise through safely easily at a decent speed no matter what is the slope or gradient. On the way back, I was driving at 3rd gear on the ghat section before Jog Falls comfortably for most of the part. In the whole stretch between Honnavar to Jog falls, I was on a 2nd gear hardly for 5% of the time.

The Bad
------
1. Curves are a killer for this vehicle. It just cant handle it well. Many a times on the section between Jog Fall and Shimoga, I had to slow down to 50s many times as it cant take those horizontal curves. Max speed I could take any time at those stretch was around 90 for very short spans. I could see Swift and Xings of the world cruising by ahead of me leaving the Safari wondering where they went. So, I was forced to move on 3rd and 4th gear most of the time on this stretch. 5th gear was hardly reachable on this stretch.

My Learnings after the Trip
-------------------------
- Safari a king on wide and straight roads. If we take it through the 2 lane old curvy National without a separator, you really cant move fast. The steady stream of two wheelers on these old highways doesnt give enough space for wide bodied Safari to overtake these vehicles if there is constant traffic from the other side.

- Next time, I go on a long trip to North India, I would prefer the wide 4 lane highways.

Now its time for the mileage check.

- Total Distance Covered: 1104 kms.
- Diesel Sucked in is 104 liters. That gives a pretty poor mileage of just 10.5 kmpl, considering the fact the I was doing a pretty sedate driving hovering around 100 most of the time with occasional spikes to 120.

I think the low mileage might be bcoz of two factors:
- Bad quality of Fuel on highway.
- One of the nights, I slept comfortably in the Safari with AC on for around 6 hours. . Any ideas whats the fuel consumed by Safari on idling with AC on?
Old 15th May 2011, 10:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

@recker_us:

The normal cornering @90kmph is no problem, I mean its just a matter of time untill you get used to the vehicle.

Mileage problem depends on how heavy or light footed you are while accelerating the vehicle. Not only the speed matters but the way in which one reaches that speed also matters.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Lots of interesting discussions that I have missed. Here goes:

Quote:
First Mileage figures after the first service:

475 kms for 51 liters. That comes to 9.3km/litre. This is much lower than 11+ figures which I used to get pre-service.

The only consolation is that this time it was 100% city driving in maddening bumper to bumper traffic. Bangalore has been pretty hot this month and 90% AC usage as Fan speed 2/3 for my black beast might also have taken a toll on the mileage numbers. I remember spending around 2 hours in a traffic where I could cover just 15kms.

Also, after the 1st service, I was revving happily to feel the real Safari power which was not done in the initial 1000kms.. What do you say guys, 9.3km/liter is kinda OK or very low?
I am kinda feeling jealous to see Happywheels getting 15+ for his beast..

One of my friend suggested that we should tank up as soon as the fuel indicator comes to halfway mark. That prevents excess evaporation of the fuel and gives better mileage. Any credibility in this theory?
Recker,

The way I achieve the 15kmpl is more like the-way-of-the-monk stuff. Very good for the vehicle and also safe, but throughly boring!

Driving by keeping the RPM @ 2000, the speed will be hovering around 80-90kmph. You will get the best mileage, your braking will be low, you will have enough time to react and you will definitely enjoy the route you are taking and the stress-free driving. BUT - you are prone to dooze off!!!

Read TheARUN's post @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2351928 .

As for fuel refilling, would +1 to what your friend said with regard to re-fueling when marker is at mid-way. No, not because I find credibility on the vapour theory, but it gives you a risk free drive; anyway you will re-fuel, why risk running it low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
10 KMPL in our traffic conditions is perfect for both the Safari and the Scorpio. Happywheels is an abnormality to cruise our roads. If you see a White 4x4 Safari ambling around at 30 kmph, make sure you stop and make faces at the driver or moon him.
White Safari 4x4 @ 30kmph? There are more like me?

Quote:
Venky, I thought Happywheels had a Mineral Red Safari, now who would we be making faces at?
When in India I am going to have a branding iron with me - all mooner's will be branded!

Quote:
I just checked with the service person in KHT motors. He suggested me not to go for upgrade as it would require cutting the Headlight wiring and make the warranty void. :(.

Also noticed that vtt noise gets very loud when we are in 4th gear just below 1500 rpm and trying to accelerate. Anyone else noticed the same noise?
Quote:
...No A.S.C will recommend a headlamp upgrade, as far as workshop for upgrade, any competent car electrician can do it, it can also be a D.I.Y, for details pls P.M. Happywheels, I got mine done by a local electrician whom i know for a long time...
Recker, as LukeSkyWalker said, no TASS will do it. Even if you force them, they will sub-contract it, but this is done by the SA and not supported by the TASS.

The stock lights are, IMHO, a hazard! It would have served well if we had everyone driving on 55/60W and on low beam and the highways were well lit, but for the tarred jungle we have we need to be better prepared. I have 100/130W on mine.

Be careful when doing from an outside electrician. They will cut the wiring. I made the mistake of believing the guy when he mentioned till the time of fixing that nothing will be cut, but did cut the wires in the few minutes I was not looking! I now have no warranty on the headlight electrical. But I have re-done the lighting the way it should have been done by myself. Should have done this in the first place - lazy me!

For the lifelessness at 1500rpm, do make sure to run in 3rd gear at 80kmph once a while, for around 15-20 second. This burst should keep this in check.

And 4th gear, 1500rpm? Lugging the engine? Please dont.

Quote:
Full Credits to KHT Motors due to which I got a shock of my life today. I came to know today afternoon that I have been driving my Safari with a wrong number plate since last 44 days...
Was thinking I was a one-off case! Concord Mysore Road had messed the RTO number on my plate. I noticed it when I checked the plate before it was fixed.

Quote:
...- One of the nights, I slept comfortably in the Safari with AC on for around 6 hours. . Any ideas whats the fuel consumed by Safari on idling with AC on?
During an personal emergency, had to spend 3 nights in the Safari. 6~7 hours with engine and a/c running in a wide open hospital parking lot. Did not notice any major deviation on the mileage on subsequent re-fueling.

EDIT:

Recker, just noticed you have taken the same journey as me - from an Alto LX to a Safari. Am sure you will have noticed the huge change in attitude & respect from other vehicles on road.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 15th May 2011 at 11:26.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 12:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recker, just noticed you have taken the same journey as me - from an Alto LX to a Safari. Am sure you will have noticed the huge change in attitude & respect from other vehicles on road.
I don't really get this. What respect/attitude? How do other people on the road know you had an Alto before? Or do you have a sticker saying I had an Alto before?

Anyway, I guess I am not the "respectable" kind, no one has ever shown an increased respect to me on account of my Safari. Or maybe my Safari doesn't command "respect" it should.

Most Viewed