Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 13:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review

Congrats evilS! It's great to see you finally got the beauty home. White is absolutely the right choice in the Vento believe me .

And 17 kmpl is no suprising at all- you know I got 18 (under controlled conditions ) right? Am sure you can touch epic levels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I too have booked the Vento TDI HL but in Shadow Blue. By the way the price here OTR excluding the corprate discount is 10.38 L.
Ummm...that's too high for Pune. My AT HL costs about 2K less than the diesel HL and cost me all of 9.94 lac OTR. PM me for details.

Feel bad seeing the OTR of 11.02 OTR in Bangalore- crazy road taxes . Am glad I don't live there anymore.

Post pics and drive her some more, dude! Waiting eagerly...

Edit: Swift to Vento upgrader list: noopster, naveenraju, evilshantanu, souravc...who else?

Last edited by noopster : 10th March 2011 at 13:34.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
The biggest problem with the stock Music system is that the trble range is not good, plus when you increase thevolume, the vocals kinda start getting shrill and that irritates you

The wiper warning was the first thing I told the cleaning guy
So will you be changing the HU? Also whats this wiper warning?
Old 10th March 2011, 22:02   #33
BHPian

So here are the long awaited pics. Sorry again for the delay
I guess I need to do a photoshoot during the daylight. Trust me, that is to be done on saturday and will update the pics soon

Till then feast your eyes on my latest sweetheart!
Attached Thumbnails
My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2598.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2600.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2602.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2603.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2612.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2599.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 22:14   #34
BHPian

Now some interior pics
Attached Thumbnails
My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2606.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2623.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2628.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2620.jpg  

My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review-dscn2621.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 22:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats evilS! It's great to see you finally got the beauty home. White is absolutely the right choice in the Vento believe me .

And 17 kmpl is no suprising at all- you know I got 18 (under controlled conditions ) right? Am sure you can touch epic levels!

Ummm...that's too high for Pune. My AT HL costs about 2K less than the diesel HL and cost me all of 9.94 lac OTR. PM me for details.

Feel bad seeing the OTR of 11.02 OTR in Bangalore- crazy road taxes . Am glad I don't live there anymore.

Post pics and drive her some more, dude! Waiting eagerly...

Edit: Swift to Vento upgrader list: noopster, naveenraju, evilshantanu, souravc...who else?
thanks!
Yeah the road tax in Bangalore is frustrating!

BTW lets catchup in Pune, next time when I am there, I keep coming to Pune, my in-laws stay there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
So will you be changing the HU? Also whats this wiper warning?
not planning to change the HU as of now.
The wiper has a specific maintainence mode when you can lift it, the drivers side wiper cannot be lifted without bringing it to maintainence mode
Old 10th March 2011, 22:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

White looks elegant and royale. Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Now waiting for the daytime snaps. You sure would be busy over the weekend. Maybe check out some good location for the snaps.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
And one more thing, DON'T forget to tell the person responsible for cleaning your car on how to lift the wipers or you might just end up chipping the paint of your bonnet which many other members here learnt the hard way
In my experience its hard to avoid it. Happened twice already in my case. Its a classic case of BAD design!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
By the way, the OTR quoted for me is 11.21L; is the price you stated because you booked it earlier? Also, I see the insurance quote at the showroom is about 36k. I checked the quote in icici lombard website- and found the quote to be <30k!... a difference close to 7k
Here is my experience. Initial OTR was 11.18. Then Corporate discount of 16k. So finally it was 11.02L, which included 36k corporate insurance by Bajaj Allianz. The best quote from the dealer was 24k (with 35% NCB) for insurance. I called Bajaj directly and got a quote of 16.5k. So my final OTR was 10.83L.

Shantanu, 300kms in 3 days - great going . I am done with 3M sun film, 3D Kagu mats, Ovion seat covers and Spoiler. Still waiting for Yoko tyres. Will wait for 3-4 more days and if not available, I might leave it

Lets catch up for lunch at Manyata next week followed by a Vento meet.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Shantanu borrowing space in your thread to post about my first day with my Vento but first of all your car's pics look awesome . Mine is a silver one .. wifey's choice well I could care less about the colour as long as the heart beats as torquey TDi

Some learnings and initial observations regarding the Vento, buying process and peripheral subjects .

1. Booking to delivery took 6 months ( mainly VW's fault, I will share the blame for a month's delay only) with numerous visits to the showroom, phone call, emails and emails to VW Germany too . I am sure they would miss me bugging them , somewhat akin to the stockholm syndrome
A significant learning has been that its always better to book from the largest showroom in town. For mumbai either book at Prabhadevi or KSM(Nerul) and never at KSM Chembur. The sidey ones get the leftover allotments and dealers play around with allotments so bug them , threaten them , blow hot blow cold , make sure that they do not cheat you on your allotment and cause delays

2. I forgot about the running in norms once I hit the highway, first day did 100 km + on the odo. I followed the norm of keeping the revs at various bands which also meant kissing the red line a few times ( Sorry I keep my eyes on the road and not the red line ) That was my woo hoo !

3.My first wow was when i went to fill the tank . 2k for apprx 48 lts of diesel and by the car's calculations it was a 700+ km ride to empty tank. That was pure music to my ears given that I was a convert to diesel from a not so fuel efficient petrol car.

4. I had gone to the VW workshop at Nerul (watched my car get washed while hustling the guys for an early delivery) . Right at the entrance there is a big "Indian standard" hump which every VW car , including the Ventos, have to cross safely - that should settle the debate on ground clearance between Vento and ANHC

5. Had a bit of a scare when the setup housing the motion sensors and the front cabin lights popped out today in the morning . My immediate reaction was "bloody VW" but realised that it just had to be popped in and they clipped into place. It was simple but since it happened on the second day I still bear "bloody VW" one more grudge

6. Have seen discussions on insurance . I settled for ICICI Lombard since they are tried and tested ( hangover from Swift ) . I know Tata AIG was offering zero depreciation policy but I had concerns regarding their reach , time to react ( in case of claims) and they were unknown as to the quality of assessment. I have seen that ICICI Lombard is fairly lenient as far as assessments are concerned which means greater amount can be claimed under insurance in case of any damage.

I am having fun discovering the various functionalities and switches, feel a sense of lethargy towards reading manuals . Love the information display. I don't know if anyone noticed that there is a small number that gives the gear that the car is engaged in . When the revs are such that the gear needs to be shifted up or down there appears a "up' or a "down" arrow against the number denoting the gear. I thought that it was pretty cool .

Will be fitting the accessories this weekend which would be the seat covers, door mats and mud flaps. No immediate plans to upgrade my music system and tyres - I need to be sure about VW warranty policy and actual on ground honouring of warranties. I just do not trust the VW dealers , firmly believe that they are plain clueless and talk out of their hat on all issues.

p.s- When one breaks the coconut while taking delivery of the car, is the person supposed to sprinkle a bit of the coconut water on the car ( at least on the number plates ) ? Need your feedback to settle a debate that I have been having with my wife. I believe one should , as otherwise I fail to find a connection between the coconut and the car

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2011 at 02:34. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 11th March 2011, 11:10   #39
BHPian

Hi evilshantanu,

Congrats on your new Vento.

I have a question about the AC: Can you put the AC in Auto mode and inner circulation of air at the same time?

I was driving my friend's new Vento and he told me that inner circulation mode is not possible when you use Auto.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:28   #40
BHPian

Crossed the 500 KM mark in the ODO today. The engine now is a lot smoother as compared to when I bought it, occasionally I do take the RPM to 2500+ now. But still being a little conservative and giving the new heart the time to accommodate and adjust

The tyre pressure is 32 PSI and I find it pretty good for city driving, have to go to the airport on the weekend, that should give me an idea about some expressway driving on this tyre pressure
Old 11th March 2011, 11:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Damn good photos Shantanu.

White Vento looks really classy and elegant. Love it from every angle. Especially the photo with Vento front with the brake lights on is too good.

Wishing a lots of happy KMs with the beauty.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Hi evilshantanu,

Congrats on your new Vento.

I have a question about the AC: Can you put the AC in Auto mode and inner circulation of air at the same time?

I was driving my friend's new Vento and he told me that inner circulation mode is not possible when you use Auto.
Auto mode almost always lets in fresh air. VW's manual goes on an on about how you need to let in fresh air or risk lethargy, drowsiness and what not! In fact I don't know if I imagined it but keeping it too long on Recycle mode made me uneasy. Quite unlikie my Swift which is in Recycle mode virtually all the time. In fact, they say you shouldn' keep it on Fresh more than 5 minutes or so .

Changing to recycle from Auto mode disables the Auto mode. Your friend is correct.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post

If you change any of AC controls (In - Out, Blow speed, Wind positions etc), then it will go back to manual mode. Auto works with external circulation. I am so used to inner circulation that I am not using auto now.. Btw, in one stretch, smoke smell did filter inside when it was in outer air circulation mode. Not sure what they meant by pollen and other filters. May be those are not enough for India
Old 12th March 2011, 10:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Auto mode almost always lets in fresh air. VW's manual goes on an on about how you need to let in fresh air or risk lethargy, drowsiness and what not!

Changing to recycle from Auto mode disables the Auto mode. Your friend is correct.
The auto mode will then be suitable only on highway drives. It is just not suitable in the city traffic which is totally polluted.

I have always used the auto + inner circulation in city and auto + fresh air on highways in my Baleno.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:19   #45
BHPian

Climate Control

Auto mode is a pain when it comes to ventilation. As motorhead5 said, if you keep the ventilation from exterior, the smoke and dust keeps coming in. And since I drive on the outer ring road, the dust levels there are pretty high, so never used the CC in Auto mode

Additionally I find that the blower switch doesnt responnd to your commands quickly When I have to increase the blower speed, I turn it once, but then sometimes it never increases, I have to turn it once a again, then it might increase by 2 levels, then I have to turn it back. maybe I still have to get the hang of it

I have driven the car 800 KM as of now, the FE (when measured from tank full to tank full) is coming to be 16.6 kmpl, now a lot of distance has been driven on 2nd and 3rd gears, where the FE comes down. The entire drive was with AC on

Looks like I will reach the 1500 KM on the ODO pretty soon! It has been a fantastic ride, loved every moment of it. Anyways thinking of driving to Goa once the 2000 KM on ODO is done, more on the highway performance then....

Most Viewed