Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 18:07   #16
BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2-(Not all's Well)

congrats sumit!!!

i love the way the two safari's stand lined up on the road!!

drive safe, drive well and she will work her way right into your psyche!
Old 12th March 2011, 21:52   #17
BHPian

@BtB: Thank you. I am a bad photographer. Had I had even .001% skill, I could have explored some of the best locations for taking photographs of the beasts. We are blessed with scenic locations in Shillong.

I hope that I am able to do justice to the beast.

About the mileage, take a look at these figures:
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-safari-mileage.jpg
I calculate the mileage based on the tankful to tankful method. I get the fuel filled till the brim and use the same pump as far as possible. The low mileages are due to some very hard drives on the Guwahati-Shillong highway which has lot of twists and turns for over 60 kms. Also, the Safari's manual states that the diesel tank's capacity is 60 litres. I don't know how my pump managed to put in 65 litres of fuel in it.

Also attaching the 2 invoices issued to me by the TASCs. One for the regular 1st service where I went in for a voluntary oil change. The 2nd for the "Panic Service" I got done at Guwahati the day after the 1st service:
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-safari-1st-service-oil-change.jpg
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-safari-panic-service-1-day-after-1st-service-ghosh-brothers-guwahati.jpg

Last edited by SumitB : 12th March 2011 at 22:17.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:34   #18
BHPian

Congrats Sumit for the Safari. The white beasts look really good standing next to each other. You seem to have a flair for Tatas, first Vista and then Safari...next Aria?
Enjoy the drive.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats Sumit for the Safari. The white beasts look really good standing next to each other. You seem to have a flair for Tatas, first Vista and then Safari...next Aria?
Enjoy the drive.
I was asked by the manager as the dealership to get one Aria but I declined. Good that I did decline as I was informed by the manager a week back that they have not been allotted any Arias till date. Infact, I have not spotted any Arias even in Guwahati which leads me to believe that Tata has not been able to meet the demands of the vehicle from other parts of the country. Is there any waiting period on the Aria?
Old 17th March 2011, 16:41   #20
BHPian

Hi Sumit,

Congrats on the beast's and have a safe journey, btw can you let us know the discounts that you got for the purchase?

cheers.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:43   #21
BHPian

For the discounts, I managed to get the usual freebies (mats, mud-flaps) and an additional discount of Rs. 25000/- per vehicle.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:29   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumit those are detailed kmpl readings.

Sad to hear of the accident, but good to know that all came out safely. The description of the scene at the police centre brought a smile to my face.

One of the practices that we should follow is to stay away from the convoys of politicians and police. A bystander can get hurt in the confusion and lack of concentration that they create. It though is hard when they drive slowly and if we have a default speed which is faster than theirs.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:42   #23
Team-BHP Support

I had coolant leak issue in my safari. Tata replaced radiator under warranty, and new coolant was filled free of cost.
If your vehicle is losing coolant, I suggest you contact customer care.
A brand new vehicle should not have these issues at all.
I think your TASC is the only TASC in the area, so can give any kind of shoddy service they deem fit, right?
Old 18th March 2011, 10:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I had coolant leak issue in my safari. Tata replaced radiator under warranty, and new coolant was filled free of cost.
If your vehicle is losing coolant, I suggest you contact customer care.
A brand new vehicle should not have these issues at all.
I think your TASC is the only TASC in the area, so can give any kind of shoddy service they deem fit, right?
Yes Tanveer, this is the only TASC in Shillong. That is the reason I am planning to try out the services of the TASCs at Guwahati. There are 3 dealers/TASCs at Guwahati.

About the coolant leak issue, it was not leaking. It was an error on part of the person who serviced the vehicle as the radiator cap was not tightened and the coolant was sprayed out. However, I am keeping a close watch on the coolant levels and have reported to the TASC that I do notice unusual drops in coolant levels. I am going to collect the vehicle after Holi and in the meanwhile, the TASC has been asked to do the 2nd service which is due on the 21st March, 2011. A few of the pending issues have been raised and I have asked them to ensure that those are fixed this time.

However, on Wednesday when I went to inspect the work done on the vehicle, I did report to my Service Advisor who was there that I am not very confident with the sudden engine malfunction light that comes on and that I want it fully investigated. I was informed that they have already looked into the issue and that they found "some sensor" faulty which has now been taken care of. However, they have been in a habit of saying something and doing something completely different. Whether they have actually fixed this is something that I will have to verify once I have the vehicle back.
Old 21st March 2011, 12:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sumit, dunno how I missed this thread earlier but better late than never! Heartiest Congratulations & welcome to the Safari club (although I remember you'd been admitted as an honorary member quite a while ago ).

Sorry to hear about the accident, I'm surprised that they've taken more than two months to deliver your vehicle back - typical monopolistic dealership attitude I guess.

Have fun munching miles & look forward to frequent updates - and more pictures please!
Old 21st March 2011, 15:08   #26
BHPian

Thanks Suman! Its a pleasure if I can get you and Tanveer to comment in my ownership thread!

An update about the coolant leak issue. Today I will be getting the vehicle and on Saturday, I had got the TASC to do the mandatory 2nd Free service which would have to be done today anyways. The following were reported and work was done or postponed:
1. Coolant level falling rapidly - Worked on. Determined that pipes were leak. Fixed
2. LED Light about the ignition not work - Worked on. Was determined that the LED buld is faulty and as expected, the TASC does not have in stock. Will either get it from Guwahati and get them to fix it or will have to wait for them to get it. I will go with the first option.
3. Hand brakes were weak - Worked on. Will check and determine if it has been fixed.
4. Rattling doors - Will have to worked on again. The person who is to do this was having "body aches" today and has requested me to bring it back in a couple of days!

I have owned the 4x4 for exactly 6 months today. Out of these 6 months or 180 days, the vehicle has been sitting in the workshop/bodyshop of the TASC for 73 days! Obviously, this is a case of "monopolistic dealership attitude"!

I am going to take this issue up with Tata Motors once I receive my vehicle back. I want to know what the bosses of Tata have to say about this!

In the next 2 months, I will drive this vehicle extensively and ensure that all niggles are addressed to before I undertake the Shillong-Delhi-Rajasthan-Delhi-Shillong drive! Will post pictures and keep this thread updated.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

Sumit, make sure you do not pay a penny for coolant replaced. If there is a leak due to a manufacturing defect TASS has to cover the coolant cost also.
As for the LED, do not take the pain.
simply ask them to get one, and as them to keep the Job Card open. If it still does not come within a week, send an email to Tata Motors customer care.

73days in the workshop is a bit too much. I guess, being the only TASS, you don't have much choice of service.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:10   #28
BHPian

Yesterday evening at the TASC, my patience ran out! Earlier in the day, I was told that the 4x4 will be ready by 1730 hours and that I should return then to collect the vehicle. However, upon reaching the TASC at 1700 hours, I was told that:
1. The vehicle's Reverese Camera was installed but it was not working. Also, after installing the camera, the rear lights (brake, turn, stop) were not working. They assumed that the wiring had gone faulty and they will have to determine the fault and change or repair as may be required. I will have to pay for it!
2. The vehicle was not washed as the other work were not complete!

I created a ruckus at the TASC and met the manager there who wanted me to calm down. I was promised that I will have the vehicle by 1230 today, i. e. 22-03-2011. I reluctantly agreed and cleared all my dues for the repairs and left in a fury.

At 1900 hours yesterday, my Service Advisor calls me and makes excuses and informs me that they may not meet the deadline of 1230 today and that they will try to deliver the next day, i. e. 23-03-2011. I left it at that and shot off a letter to TML which I quote here:

Quote:
Dear All,

With regret, I would like to bring to your attention that I am an owner of a 2010 4x4 Safari VX in Pearl White which was delivered to me by your dealers at Shillong, M/s. Modrina Auto Enterprise on the 22nd September, 2010. Incidentally, I had taken the delivery of another 2010 4x2 Safari VX in Pearl While for my father-in-law on the same date and the following are the VINs for both the vehicles are as follows:
4x4 Safari VX – VIN No.: MAT403744xxxxxxxx Engine No.: 22LDICOR09GZYxxxxx. Insured with Tata Motors Insurance – National Insurance Company Limited – Policy No. 250xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Effective from 22-09-2010 to 21-09-2011
4x2 Safari VX – VIN No.: MAT40374xxxxxxxxxxx Engine No.: 22LDICORxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Insured with Tata Motors Insurance – National Insurance Company Limited – Policy No. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Effective from 22-09-2010 to 21-09-2011
The 4x4 is registered in the name of my wife, xxxxxxxxxxxx and the 4x2 is registered in the name of my mother-in-law, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. We had also opted for the Extended Warranty at the time of taking the delivery of both the vehicles.

Sir, I was travelling in the 4x4 from Shillong to Dibrugarh, Assam on the 6th January, 2011 and had met with an accident at Nagaon, Assam and the same was reported to the local Police and after completion of the formalities, I was allowed to proceed with the vehicle. As per the Police Report and MVI Report, the vehicle sustained the following damages:
1. Front Bumper Damaged

2. Front Bumper Skirting

3. Front Fog Lamps

4. Bonet

5. Right Side Foot Board

6. Rear Bumper

7. Rear Fog Lamps

8. Reverse Camera

Other than the above, there was no damage to the vehicle. However, I did get an Engine Malfunction Light and the vehicle would not exceed speeds of 40kmph. Since I was about 200 kms away from my destination and Shillong also was approximately the same distance, I decided that I would return the Shillong but before doing so, I got in touch with your local TASC at Nagaon, M/s. Abhishek Motors and visited their workshop to get the Engine Malfunction checked. However, the problem was beyond their technical expertise and they asked me to visit the workshop of the other TASC, M/s. Ghosh Brothers. There the problem was examined and I was told that they had checked the problem thoroughly and that there was no “serious” problem and that the light was coming on due to the impact which the vehicle suffered due to the accident. They assured me that it would be safe for me to drive back the vehicle to Shillong/Guwahati. This was on the 6th January, 2011 itself.
I left the workshop and proceeded towards Shillong and reached Shillong late in the evening. The very next day, i. e. on the 7th January, 2011, I drove the vehicle to the only dealer and TASC in Shillong, M/s. Modrina Auto Enterprise and on reaching their workshop, I was asked to take the vehicle to their Body Shop which is another 4 kms. from their workshop. Upon reaching the Body Shop of the TASC, the vehicle was inspected upon by their executive Mr. Kitbok Syiemiong. At this juncture, I had not carried the Police Report or the MVI Report as I could not collect it from the Police Station where the accident was reported. I informed about the same to the executive at the TASC’s Body Shop and handed over a photostat copy of the RC and the Insurance. I was told by the executive at that time that since the insurance was of Tata Insurance itself, the MVI Report and the Police Report may not be required. However, he informed me that in case it would be required, I would have to submit the same to them before the work could commence. As for the estimated time it would take for the damages to be fixed, I was informed that once the insurance gave them the go ahead, it would take them a maximum of 15 (fifteen) days to deliver the vehicle back to me. This was on the 7th January, 2011 at about 12 noon.
After a couple of days, I received a call from the Body Shop of the TASC and this time, the person introduced himself as Mr. Larry, the manager of the Body Shop. I was informed that the insurance required me to submit the Police Report and the MVI Report in original and that they could only start processing the claim and start working on the vehicle after these documents were submitted. As these documents were yet to be collected from the local Police Station at Nagaon, I informed the manager that I would procure these documents and submit the same to them. However, I could only get these documents from Nagaon on the 28th January, 2011 and the same were submitted to the TASC on the 29th January, 2011 at about 12 noon. Subsequently, the work began on the vehicle. However, I was not satisfied with the pace of the work and called Mr. Larry several times and everytime, I was given weird reasons for work not done. Sometimes, I was told that the mechanic was on a holiday, sometimes parts were not available, sometimes machine faulty. Subsequently, on the 8th of March, 2011, upon calling Larry on his mobile, I was informed that the vehicle was sent to the Workshop for getting some work done and that I could collect the vehicle the same day in the afternoon, provided the Surveyor could come and complete a few formalities. I reached the Body Shop of the TASC the same day at about 1400 hours and saw that the vehicle was standing inside the compound of the premises and that the bonet had been damaged. Upon inquiring from the people present there, I was told that while driving the vehicle from the Workshop to the Body Shop, the bonet opened “on its own” and that caused the damage! I could not have done anything and asked them to get the thing fixed and also pointed out a few shortcomings on the vehicle which they promised to attend to and ensured that they would fix the same. I was now given a period of 7 days for them to fix and deliver the vehicle. However, this deadline to was missed. On the 16th of March, 2011, I was informed by Mr. Larry that their machine to wash the vehicle had broken down and that I would only get the vehicle once the machine has been fixed and the vehicle is washed. I had no other option but to agree. The 2nd free service of the vehicle was to be done on or before the 21st March, 2011 and so I called up the Body Shop on the 18th March, 2011 and informed them that I need to get the vehicle serviced else I would have issues with the Warranty and Extended Warranty terms and I was informed that I could collect the vehicle from the Body Shop and give it to the Workshop of the TASC to get the service done. I arrived at the Body Shop and requested the new manager, Mr. Kitbok Syiemiong to depute someone to drive the vehicle from their Body Shop to the Workshop and this was promptly done. The vehicle was more or less ready for delivery at the Body Shop but the reverse camera was not installed. I asked for the camera to be installed at that time but I was informed by the new manager that they would do it once they received the vehicle back from the Workshop and I agreed. The person who was deputed by the manager to drive the vehicle to the Workshop then did so and we arrived at the Workshop. I was in the other 4x2 Safari which was also to be given for the 2nd Service. At the workshop, a job card for the 4x4 was opened and I raised the following issues with them:
1. 2nd Free Service

2. Passenger Side Seat Arm Rest being loose

3. LED Light at the Steering Column above the Ignition Key not working

4. Coolant Level dropping Rapidly

5. Noise from the Seats and Doors

6. Hand Brake being weak

7. General Washing and Vacuuming

After the above issues were noted on the Job Sheet, I inquired about the time that it would take for the vehicle to be delivered back to me and I was informed that the same should be ready on Monday, i. e. the 21st March, 2011. After the workshop would complete their work, I was to drive the vehicle back to the Body Shop for them to complete the installation of the Reverse Camera and for the Surveyor to come and complete the final formalities.

However, a discrepancy was noticed at the workshop when both my Safari VXs were standing side by side. I noticed that the front skirting below the grill on the 4x4 (accidental vehicle) was missing a chrome strip. This despite the vehicle sitting at the TASC for over 70 days! This was brought to the notice of the person who drove the vehicle from the Body Shop to the Workshop and it was decided that I should “ignore” the issue lest the vehicle would spend another infinite period of time with them.

Finally, on the 21st March, 2011, I arrived at the Workshop to collect the vehicle and drive it back to the Body Shop for the final procedure and to get the camera fixed. Upon my arrival, I was surprised to say the least! The Service Executive informed me that:
1. 2nd Free Service - Done

2. Passenger Side Seat Arm Rest being loose - Done

3. LED Light at the Steering Column above the Ignition Key not working – Not done as the LED lamp was faulty and that the same was not in stock with them.

4. Coolant Level dropping Rapidly – Fixed. Apparently, the pipes were found to be leaking.

5. Noise from the Seats and Doors – Not done. The Body Shop was to do this!

6. Hand Brake being weak – Not inquired.

7. General Washing and Vacuuming – Not done. The Body Shop was to do their work and that I was to drive the vehicle back to them so that they could finish this!

Accordingly, I was allowed to drive the vehicle back to the Body Shop so that I could get the following done:
1. Get the Reverse Camera fixed which they did. However, after fixing the camera, it was discovered that the same was not working. This was a new camera as the old one was damage in the accident. I was informed to get this checked at the Workshop as they suspected that this is an electrical fault!

2. Get them to work on the noises – Not done as the person who was to do this was complaining of having “body aches”! I was told to bring the vehicle back to them at a later date after prior appointment so that this could be attended to!

Finally, a representative of the surveyor who was also present at the Body Shop completed the final formalities and the vehicle was finally released from the Body Shop. I was told to clear the balance dues of the Body Shop at the main Workshop itself. These dues included the balance charges excluding the insurance approved amount.

I then drove the vehicle back to the workshop. At the workshop, I spoke with the Service Advisor and informed him of the following:
1. That the Body Shop had fixed the camera and that it was not working. Upon inspecting, we realised that none of the brake lights at the rear were working. The Service Advisor informed me that these were working when I took the vehicle to the Body Shop in the morning. He concluded that he would have to check the fuses or else the “wiring was faulty”!

2. For the noises, he had nothing to say but had a smile on his face!

3. That the washing and vacuuming was pending. I was informed that this would be done once the other work was completed.

Upon inquiring as to when I could collect the vehicle, I was informed by the service advisor that the vehicle should be ready by the evening at about 1730 hours. This was at about 1330 hours. I then left the Workshop.

At about 1700 hours, I returned to the workshop, only to realise that the vehicle was standing exactly where I had left it in the afternoon and that the vehicle was as dirty, if not dirtier, as I had left it in the afternoon. On speaking with the executive present there, I was informed that they “could not” finish they work and that it should be done the next morning, i. e. tomorrow, the 22nd March, 2011. I was informed that the wiring was probably faulty and that they would have to examine the same closely and only then could they determine the fault and fix the same. I was loosing my patience but had no option. In the meanwhile I inquired about the bill that I would have to clear and did the same and left the workshop after inquiring from the executive present there about a definite time when I could collect the vehicle. He insisted that they could only commit on a time once they detected the fault and that I would be given a call once the vehicle is ready. I left it at that.
However, at 1909 hours, I received a call on my mobile from the Service Advisor who was working on my vehicle and he informed me that:
1. There seems to be a wiring fault in the vehicle

2. That he would not be coming for work tomorrow but he would ensure that the work is done. However, if the work would not be done, he would have to do it when he came back for work, probably the after tomorrow.

3. That if the wiring was faulty, I would have to pay for it!

Now Sir, I would like to raise the following points:
1. Since I could deliver the required documents on on the 29th January, 2011, I give the TASC, the benefit and assume that the work would begin starting the 31st January, 2011. However, even since that date, it is already 49 days that the vehicle is sitting at the TASC. This in a total ownership of 180 days!

2. Is there any fixed time frame that Tata Motors has fixed for such work at their TASC?

3. Is this professionalism that a vehicle sitting with the TASC is damaged by the TASC and even then, they take 15 days to get it fixed? Is a customer to be harassed if an equipment at the TASC does not work?

4. Assuming that the Service Advisor is correct that the lights were working before I took the vehicle to the Body Shop to get the camera fixed, and that these lights were not working after the camera was fixed and I drove it back to the Workshop, am I liable to pay for the wiring if they have indeed gone bad? This was not due to my fault!

5. When I had purchased, not one, but two Safaris, which at that time, were the costliest Passenger Vehicles in your portfolio, since then, the Aria was not launched in Shillong, is this how I am expected to be treated? Tata Motors has no responsibility towards a customer? Is this what it comes down to?

6. When does Tata Motors expect that a customer’s patience will run out? Are we, the customers, expected to have infinite amount of patience?

Sir, this is not the only instance that the TASC at Shillong had botched up! I would like to bring to your attention, that on the 20-10-2010, I had given my 4x4 Safari for its first free service. At that time, I had opted for a voluntary oil change and had reported the following issues:
1. Rattling noise from the doors and seats.

2. Coolant levels dropping rapidly.

3. LED Light on the Steering Column not working.

The work was carried out and complaints nos. 1 and 3 were not attended to due to lack of time. The vehicle was delivered the same day. The next day, I drove the vehicle down to Guwahati and at Byrnihat (about 80 kms. from Shillong) the vehicle’s AC stopped working. I continued to drive and suddenly the engine lost power. Fortunately, I was stranded just opposite a Petrol Pump and I managed to drive the vehicle inside the pump and called up the Service Advisor at Shillong. I was attended to by Ms. Genia and she, in consultation with some other person directed me to do a few tests after which it was determined that the vehicle was loosing coolant. I was asked to open the engine bay and it was discovered that the radiator cap was not tightened fully. I was made to purchase 2 bottles of coolant and had to top up the vehicle with the same. However, after driving a few kms. the vehicle was still loosing power and the Engine Malfunction light was glowing. I was then asked by Ms. Genia to visit the TASC of M/s. Ghosh Brothers at Guwahati who ultimately determined that the vehicle was overheating due to the leaking coolant. They informed me that:
1. They had topped up the coolant.

2. They had reset the error on the ECU of the vehicle

For this, I was made to pay Rs. 500/- which should not have been charged in the first place as:
1. The radiator cap was left loose by the TASC at Shillong

2. The drop in coolant levels was due to the leaking pipe which has been now confirmed after the 2nd Service conducted on the 18th January, 2011.

I am attaching this particular bill for your ready reference.

After a few days of the 1st service, I received a call from Pune and had informed the lady on the other end about this but I doubt that this has changed anything as the attitude of the TASC is still the same, if not worse!

Sir, other than these two Safaris, we also have a Tata Indica Quadrajet Anniversary Edition which was purchased from the same dealer at Shillong on the 25th May, 2010. This vehicle has the following details:
VIN No.: MATxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Engine No.: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sir, if this is how Tata Motors treats customers like us, all I can say is God Help Us! If things don’t change, I will have no other option but to get rid of the Tata vehicles we have and opt for some other manufacturer who will rid us of these monopolistic attitude of Tata’s dealers and help put and end to the harassment.
This letter was emailed to about 22 senior executives at TML.

Now, I am waiting for a response from their end. If things don't improve, I will have to seek legal advice and then take it from there.

I would like to ascertain one point here. I have absolutely no issues with the vehicle. Accidents can happen and will happen. It is the TASC who is making matters worse. As Suman put it, its "typical monopolistic dealership attitude". Lets see how things shape up.

Last edited by SumitB : 22nd March 2011 at 08:14.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:25   #29
BHPian

Things are not looking good at this point in time. I am having severe issues with Tata Motors and their only "monopolistic" TASC in Shillong. I have communicated with Tanveer and he has advised me that I detail everything here. So here goes:

I already posted the mail which I sent to TML on Monday. After this, I received the following on 22-03-2011 at 10:49AM:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Bajoria,

Thank you for writing to us and your custom of the Tata Safari.

We are forwarding your complaint to our Customer Care team.

Kind regards,

Debasis Ray
Head - Corporate Communications
Tata Motors
After this the Customer Care team got in touch at 1424 hours on the same date:
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to us.

We have noted the contents of your email dated 21.03.11. At the outset, we deeply regret the inconvenience caused to you

With a copy of this email, we are intimating our Regional office, Kolkata to provide all necessary support and revert to you at the earliest.

In case of any further assistance, please feel free to contact Mr. Sanjay Dutta, Regional Customer Care Manager on xxxxxxxxxx.

Assuring you of our best services

Thanking you
For Tata Motors

Customer Care Team
Mumbai
Then the Regional Office at Guwahati got involved at 1540:
Quote:
Dear Sir,
we are very sorry for your bad experience with our dealer. we want to discuss with you regarding this issue. we tried to contact you in +91 94367 xxxxx but we are unable to contact you,

So we are requesting you to provide your current contact details.

Regards
Mohan Raja V
Customer Support Manager (PCBU)
Area office - Guwahati
Ph: +91 94355 xxxxx/0361 xxxxxxx
I mailed my number to Mr. Mohan Raja and he called me on the same date, i. e. 22-03-2011 at about 1729 hours. I explained the whole sequence of events to him and he assured me of action. However, on the very same evening, my father-in-law had visited the TASC to get a voluntary oil change done on the Indica. When he returned he informed me that the 4x4 Safari was being worked on when he was there at the workshop and the mechanics/service advisor were busy ensuring that the Reverse Camera which was slotted into place on the rear bumper does not fall down. They were attaching the camera using "Marshall Tape" or masking tape. My father-in-law informed me that despite the camera being attached to the best of the ability of the TASC, it still shook and that it would fall off if not attached properly. Subsequently, I sent the Mr. Mohan Raja another mail on the 23-03-2011 at 0810 hours and also smsed him that I have sent him a mail and requested him to contact me once he read this mail:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Mohanraja,

In continuation to our telephonic discussions yesterday evening, I would like to point another shortcoming on the part of the TASC related to the work they have done on my vehicle which I would like to be rectified before I take delivery. As I have already detailed that the front bumper and the rear bumper including the Reverse Camera was changed as these were damaged in the accident. I just realised that the new camera has been installed on the bumper using some tape because the segment/rectangular part where the camera sits was not attaching to the bumper properly and would have fallen down if this tape was not used! This on a new bumper! This is a prime example of the shoddy QC at Tata Motors. Since I am paying for this, I want this too rectified. I don't want to see gaps as these gaps were not present when I took delivery of my vehicle and since I am paying for these to be rectified, I want it in the original state.

Regards
Sumit Bajoria
+91 97740 xxxxx
I spoke with this gentleman the same day at 1015 hours and he assured me that the entire case had been discussed with the TASC's GM and that the GM would be giving feedback and course of action to me directly or to him and he would then get back to me. This he promised, would happen on the same day and before noon! However, there was no call or feedback from the dealer or this gentleman and I sent Mr. Mohan Raja this mail at 1318 hours:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Mohan Raja,

In my conversation with you over the phone today morning at 10AM, you had assured me that I would be getting a feedback and a definitive plan as to how we are to proceed to get the various issues fixed by 12 noon today! However I am yet to receive this communication from you, which leads me to believe that you too have succumbed to the pressure that your monopolistic dealer is capable of putting on you and your least-bothered company. As I said yesterday, it’s a good thing that JRD Tata is not alive and that Mr. Ratan Tata is not aware of this, else, both of them would have committed suicide by now, seeing that a company they so proudly raised, can be held at ransom by a few corrupt and inefficient employees and dealers.

A shame really!

Sumit Bajoria
+91 97740 xxxxx
I do understand that a few members here would have waited for longer before sending this mail but I had lost all my patience by this time and wanted things to move fast. Its not that I had not given the TASC enough time already!

Within 45 minutes after sending the above mail, the GM of the dealership called me and informed me that they are taking the feedback seriously and at the same time sounded upset. Apparently, Mr. Mohan Raja was forwarding my mails, word to word, to the dealership! Talk about hand-in-glove!! The GM told me that this "Black Spot", "Embarrasment", "monopolistic attitude" and "corrupt" was something which I should not have written. He invited me to visit him and wanted to sort things out. I was to visit him the same day but could not and visited him the next day at 1120 hours. Thereafter, what transpired, will be clear from the following mail which I sent Tata Motors today morning at 0916 hours.
Quote:
Dear All,

At first, I would like to bring to your notice that when I send you a mail, I assume that this is a communication between Tata Motors, its employees and me, a customer of Tata Motors. I don't expect that the mail that I send to Tata Motors will be copied or forwarded to the TASC against whom I am lodging a complaint. I do understand that Tata Motors needs to question the dealer/TASC and verify the authencity of my complaint, but forwarding my complaint, addressed to Tata Motors would be ethically and morally incorrect. However, since this practice, it seems, is prevalent, so be it. I am only stating what is fact, and can prove all allegations that I make against the dealer, if required. Also, now that I am quite sure that this mail too will ultimately land up at the desk of the GM of the concerned dealership/TASC, I advice the concerned to ask their legal advisors to file a defamation suit against me and we can settle this in a court of law!

Secondly, that on the 24th March, 2011, at the invitation of Mr. Sarad Joshi, GM, Modrina Auto Enterprise, Shillong, I visited the office of the GM at about 1120 hours and met with him and was in one sense, interrogated by the GM as to why I sent out the mail which I did to Tata Motors on 21-03-2011. He had a copy of all the mails that were sent out by me! I highlighted the circumstances that led me to register a complaint with Tata Motors and he had the following solution:
1. That they will ensure that I am delivered the vehicle, fault free and as it should be delivered, i. e. with the original bumper and with the camera mounted as it should be without any support and in the original fit and finish.
2. That in case they don't have a particular spare in stock, they will ensure that they get that spare and in case this spare is related to an issue raised by me in the job sheet that has been opened for the vehicle, I can leave the job sheet unsigned till all issues are resolved.
3. That the GM would get back to me within a reasonable period of time and inform me as to when I could collect the vehicle.
4. Raised and quoted out of a Service Manual that in case of an accidental vehicle, faults related to electrical wiring can only be detected at the time of re-fitting the same and if any such fault is detected, the customer is liable to pay for the spare which may be used to fix the fault.

We left it at that.

That on the 25th of March, 2011 at 1156 hours, I received a call from the office of the said GM from the phone number +91 364 xxxxxxx and the person on the other side was none other than the GM of the dealership himself. He informed me the following:
1. That they have found a solution to fix the camera without the need of any support including screws or tapes.
2. That they do not have the correct front bumper for the vehicle in stock at the moment and that the correct bumper has been ordered.
3. He informed me that under normal circumstances, it should take about 7 days for them to receive the bumper, 2 days for the painting of the same and a day to fix the bumper.
4. That the LED lamp which is to be installed at the steering column has also been ordered and that this too will be installed along with the bumper.

With this information, I was asked by the GM that I should come to the dealership/workshop and take delivery of the vehicle after the installation of the camera has been done. I informed him about my apprehension of doing the same as I did not want to take the risk of taking the vehicle with a new bumper, albeit incorrect one, as, if in case this bumper was damaged in the course of my day-to-day driving or due to negligence, I would be held responsible for the same, and under these circumstances, it would be best that the vehicle stayed at the workshop. At this, the GM informed me that in case of some minor damage to the paint work of the new bumper, I would not be held responsible and that he could give this to me in writing. I reluctantly agreed and informed the GM that I could only come to collect the vehicle after 3PM and he informed and insisted that I should only visit them "after he called me to confirm that the vehicle was ready". We exchanged pleasantries and the call was ended. However, before ending the call, the GM did insist that I should only visit the workshop after receiving his call and that this should happen sometime in the "2nd half" of the day.

That at about 1400 hours, unsuspecting any foul play or without any ill-intentions, I arrived at the dealership, parked my vehicle opposite the main showroom of the dealership and visited the office of the GM. However, he was not present there. Again, unsuspecting any foul play and without any ill-intentions, I decided to visit the workshop and inspect my vehicle. However, following protocol, I visited the reception of the workshop and met with Mr. Parag Nath who was arranging some papers at the reception. I inquired about my vehicle and he informed me that the vehicle was not yet ready. I informed him that the GM had called me in the morning and had informed me that the vehicle would be ready in the 2nd half of the day and that they only had to fit the camera. Mr. Nath informed me that it was indeed the camera that was not yet installed and that it would take a minimum of 1 hour to install the same. However, he informed me that at that time, it was their lunch break and that he could only start working on the vehicle after the break was over. I inquired from him if everything else had been done and he informed me in the affirmative. I inquired from him if I could inspect the vehicle and he agreed. I told him to accompany me and show me the work done and he did so. On arriving at the location where the vehicle was parked, I could see that indeed, the vehicle was cleaned and looked ready from the front. We then went towards the rear of the vehicle and i bent down to check the location on the rear bumper where the camera was to be mounted. Here, I noticed that 2 small holes have been drilled on the rear bumper and upon inquiry, I was informed by Mr. Nath that these were done prior to my meeting with the GM the previous day to mount the camera without the use of the tape, about which I had complained earlier. I informed Mr. Nath that this was not the original state in which the Safari VX's bumper comes and that this was un-acceptable to me. He informed me that these holes would not be visible after the camera was mounted by I declined and dialed the mobile number of the GM (+91 98630 xxxxx). This was at 1418 hours. What transpired between me and the GM is better not detailed but I admit that it was not courteous and in no sense, pleasant! Before hanging up on the GM, I informed him of the development and also informed him that:
1. I would not take delivery of the vehicle with the drilled bumper, no matter how small or hidden these holes were.
2. That I would not take delivery of the vehicle with pending work.
3. That I should be only given a call when the work on the vehicle is complete in all respects.

Now, I have a few questions for Tata Motors.
1. Does Tata Motors have any policy where in they do not allow a customer to have a look at his/her vehicle while work is still incomplete on the vehicle? Is a TASC allowed to prevent a customer from inspecting his/her vehicle while the vehicle is at the workshop floor of the TASC?
2. Would Tata Motors honor the warranty in case a "manufacturing defect" is detected on the rear bumper after I take delivery of the bumper with the drilled holes? If yes, can I get this in writing while taking delivery of the vehicle from the TASC after the completion of the work?
3. In the first year of the ownership of a vehicle, if the power windows of the vehicle do not close properly or get stuck, is this considered a manufacturing defect and is a customer liable to pay for the rectification of this issue?

I hope that the silent management at Tata Motors takes some time out to respond to my mail. Also, I sincerely hope that the gentleman, who has been forwarding my mail to the dealership in question here, forwards this mail too. I also hope that the dealership in question here will file a defamation suit against me for calling them "corrupt"!

Regards
Sumit Bajoria
2010 Safari VX 4x4
Registration No.: ML-05-H-1431
Phone No.: +91 97740 xxxxx
In support of the above instances of fleecing by the TASC, I have the invoices for the Indica ball joint replacement and the lubrication used by the TASC to solve the power window issue which I will post here by evening once I have them scanned.

At the moment I am waiting for an update on the matter but I am not too hopeful! Lets see what transpires. Will keep the thread updated.

Thanks for looking and please keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by SumitB : 26th March 2011 at 14:26.
Old 26th March 2011, 16:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - Keeping fingers crossed!

sad to hear your experience with the ASC, and the worst part is that you dont have any option to go back to anyone else, as your town has only one dealer.

When will service centers like these allow Tata vehicles to be repaired just like Maruti service centers can.

Is it that they donot know the technicalities OR they dont want to work !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks