Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 17:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - Keeping fingers crossed!

This is really pathetic and somehow I feel this is the state of the many of the service centers of North East. From my interactions to few of the service stations (in Assam and mostly Maruti) I always felt that most of them really lack the competence to properly fix a vehicle. For the problems that you are facing shouldn't take these many days(more than 2 months) and should've been delivered within weeks itself. It happened to my uncle's Zen which had some major issues with steering column and suspension and even after spending around 27k for the repair and replacement of few parts the condition of the car remained same. And the car was in service center for almost a month. I wanted my uncle to file a complaint against them but he didn't as by it was already more than 6 months. My uncle doesn't drive his cars as he has drivers and those drivers were even bigger idiots who never have informed my uncle about the issues. Nowadays he mostly uses the Bolero and the Zen is lying at the garage for most of the time. I wish I was in Assam that time as I would've made those service center guy's life miserable. Another incident was with the paint of the front door of the Zen where it's very easily visible that the paints doesn't exactly match. Anyway, this happened around 2 years back but your story reminded me of the similar attitude and lack of competency of the mechanics there. It really pains me a lot to see those cars getting butchered by those ignorant incompetent so called service stations.
I would say, don't leave these guys without making them compensate you properly and getting you your vehicle back to original glory. I really don't know if I should ask you to get your car serviced in Guwahati as I don't think they also would be any better than Shillong. But still it may worth a try. Hoping for the best.
Old 26th March 2011, 17:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
This is really pathetic and somehow I feel this is the state of the many of the service centers of North East. From my interactions to few of the service stations (in Assam and mostly Maruti) I always felt that most of them really lack the competence to properly fix a vehicle. For the problems that you are facing shouldn't take these many days(more than 2 months) and should've been delivered within weeks itself. It happened to my uncle's Zen which had some major issues with steering column and suspension and even after spending around 27k for the repair and replacement of few parts the condition of the car remained same. And the car was in service center for almost a month. I wanted my uncle to file a complaint against them but he didn't as by it was already more than 6 months. My uncle doesn't drive his cars as he has drivers and those drivers were even bigger idiots who never have informed my uncle about the issues. Nowadays he mostly uses the Bolero and the Zen is lying at the garage for most of the time. I wish I was in Assam that time as I would've made those service center guy's life miserable. Another incident was with the paint of the front door of the Zen where it's very easily visible that the paints doesn't exactly match. Anyway, this happened around 2 years back but your story reminded me of the similar attitude and lack of competency of the mechanics there. It really pains me a lot to see those cars getting butchered by those ignorant incompetent so called service stations.
I would say, don't leave these guys without making them compensate you properly and getting you your vehicle back to original glory. I really don't know if I should ask you to get your car serviced in Guwahati as I don't think they also would be any better than Shillong. But still it may worth a try. Hoping for the best.
This is nothing but incompetence and an attitude which is hard to change. Now, I have also decided to put my foot down and have in no clear terms stated that I will not take delivery till i get a fault free vehicle. Also, even though its a non-issue, I will ensure that I get the rear bumper without the holes. I have already written to TML and have asked them to ensure that either the bumper is free from all dealer made holes or that they give me in writing that these holes are due to the dealer and that if in future something happens to th bumper on its own, I am not denied warranty!

Also, once I get my vehicle back, I will ensure that TML adjusts or refunds close to Rs. 2000/- which I have paid the dealer for the 3 Tata vehicles for service issues which now I learn, should have been free in the initial period of ownership!

About service at Guwahati, this is something I am considering. At least in Guwahati, there are 3 TASCs and if they are keep on the noose, they should not screw up. I as amazed that even in Nagaon, there are 2 TASCs and in Shillong, we have one Modrina for the last 10 plus years!

Last edited by SumitB : 26th March 2011 at 17:41.
Old 26th March 2011, 22:15   #33
BHPian

As I have detailed in the previous post, I have proof of the TASC fleecing me and wrongfully charging me for fixing issues highlighted with them which should have been fixed without charging a penny.

In the case of the 4x2 Safari which was sent for the 2nd Service on the 19th December, 2011, the problems highlighted was that the Driver Side Power Window was not closing properly and needed to be pulled while the button to close the same was pressed. The Job Card clearly lists this as "CHK FRT POWER WINDOW JAM". A lot of other Safari owners on the forum have detailed that this is a known issue with the Safari and that when brought to the notice of their TASCs, they use a lubrication to soften the rubber beading inside the door assembly and this is free of charge. However, in the attached invoice for this vehicle, ML-05-H-1430, it clearly states that the TASC is charging Rs. 310/- for some "Plastic & Rubber Care". Also, I wonder why I am charged for Distilled Water every time I get the vehicle serviced! Any ideas?
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-safari-wrong-charging-power-window-lubricant-job-card.jpg
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-safari-wrong-charging-power-window-lubricant-bill.jpg

Now coming to the same TASC and the case of the Indica. I gave the Indica for a voluntary oil change on the 21st March, 2011 and raised a Voice Concern that there was noise coming from the front suspension of the vehicle. After this was done, I was made to pay Rs. 708/- plus labour Charge for this also.
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-indica-wrong-charging-ball-joint-job-card.jpg
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-indica-worng-charging-ball-joint-bill.jpg

Now this clearly highlights that this particular TASC is indeed indulging in corrupt and illegal practices and fleecing money from unsuspecting customers.

I have yet not heard anything from TML or the TASC today despite me having mailed them in the morning. Does TML observe a holiday on Saturdays?
Old 7th April 2011, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Okay. Time to update this thread.

After all the hoopla created by my mails which were sent to the various officials at TML, Mr. Mohan Raja was deputed by their office at Kolkata/Guwahati to personally visit the TASC at Shillong and intervene and ensure that the vehicle is delivered to my satisfaction. Accordingly, on the 1st April, 2011, at about 0930 hours, I received a call from the landline of the TASC and on the other end was Mr. Raja. He claimed that he was in Shillong and wanted to meet me. A time of 1130 was fixed by us for me to visit the TASC and I was to be attended by Mr. Raja himself.

At the TASC, Mr. Raja showed me around the vehicle and admitted that indeed shoddy work was done on the front bumper and upon inspection, he had pro-actively asked the TASC to get the whole bumper painted again. At that time, the bumper was not fixed on the vehicle and that it was at the body shop for repainting. I was informed that the bumper will be ready by 1400 hours. In the meanwhile, I checked the vehicle and did not find any thing amiss on the outside. I then asked Mr. Raja to accompany me for a test drive. While taking the test drive, we noticed that the rattling of all the doors was still there and also the driver's seat was squeaking and also noise was coming from the other seats.

Mr. Raja took note of these and assured me that he will personally see to it that these noises are rectified. I was promised delivery by evening and so I left the TASC then. At 1700 hours, Mr. Raja called me again and asked me to either visit the TASC or to inform me where they could bring the vehicle. I chose the former and reached the TASC at 1750 hours. The vehicle was being dried then and Mr. Raja told me that all problems were taken care off. I inspected the vehicle and found nothing amiss and signed the Job Sheet and drove home. Upon driving, I noticed that most squeaks were gone but the rear seats were still squeaking. I did not bother to take it back to the TASC and decided to close the matter there.

Now coming to the driving experience. After getting the vehicle back I noticed that the engine is smoother and that even after driving it hard, the Engine Malfunction light was not coming back. I also tried the 80kmph 3rd gear test suggested by Tanveer. Hopefully, these issues will not come back to haunt me.

However, over the past 4 days, the squeaking has intensified from the rear seats. I will probably write to Raja again and see what he suggests. The Cruze has spoilt me in this sense as there is no noise from the interiors of the Cruze. I want the Safari to be silent too. To the owners of the beast here, are these noises there in your vehicles too?

I am posting a few pictures taken at a little known village with a natural heart shaped "puddle" near Cherrapunjee. We took both the Safaris there and really enjoyed the drive! As of today, the 4x4's odo reads 32xx kms.
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030055.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030056.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030057.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030058.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030059.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030068.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030069.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030073.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030071.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030074.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030075.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030076.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030077.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030078.jpg

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-p1030079.jpg
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 16:41   #35
BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist

An immediate update. After posting the last post, I sent a mail to Mr. Mohan Raja:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Raja,

Thank you for your timely intervention to get the issues sorted at Modrina.

I am writing to you to remind you that you were to provide me with the solution to the issue of the LCD screens not switching off even when not in use which was brought to your notice while inspecting the vehicle on the 1st April, 2011 at the workshop of Modrina. Also, we are planning to take the 4x2 (ML-05-H-1430) to the body shop of Modrina in the coming week. As you had committed, the paint touch up to the rear bumper due to the tail gate is to be done FOC. You are requested to kindly inform the concerned to do the needful.

Also, the squeaking from the seats of the 4x4 (ML-05-H-1431) have all returned and is getting worse by the day. A permanent solution to this will also be appreciated.

Regards
Sumit Bajoria
Within 45 minutes, I received a call from the TASC and they offered to attempt to fix the above issues. I informed them that I would not be able to visit the TASC and to my surprise, they offered to visit my residence to fix the issues! I cannot thank Tanveer enough! Had he not suggested me to put my grievances in this thread, TML would not have responded so pro-actively. Anyways, the TASC is scheduled to send someone to take a look at these issues tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, I again request Safari owners to post here if they have these squeaks from the seats. I had these squeaks even before the accident but did not bother me much. Only after driving the Cruze extensively for 3 months, I am not able to tolerate these noises from the Safari anymore!
Old 8th April 2011, 23:09   #36
BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist

Today a representative of the TASC arrived at my residence as was fixed yesterday. I showed him the faulty LCDs and also made him identify the squeaks. Apparently, the LCDs are faulty in both the vehicles and needs to be replaced. For the squeaks, it was discovered that the driver's seat in the 4x4 is squeaking. The representative took a note of these issues and informed me that he needs to inform TML's representative at Guwahati and it is for them to decide of the next course of action. He informed me that the TASC will get back to me once they have word from TML. This was at noon.

At about 1500 hours, the representative called me again and informed me that TML has asked the TASC to replace the LCDs in both the vehicles and immediately address the squeaks and if need be, replace the driver's seat! This will probably be done sometime next week.

I appreciate the pro-activeness on part of TML, especially after the bitter experience I have had to go through. I hope that this attitude rubs off to their other customers too.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your issues are getting fixed.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:11   #38
BHPian

An update after a long time. Mainly due to lack of time and also due to the fact that I have been lazy. However, unlike other ownership reports, my lack of posting here is in no way an indicator that alls well with my vehicle. On the contrary, I have had nothing but issues with my 4x4 but I must give credit where it is due and that goes to Tata for giving me a vehicle which will not get you stranded unless the engine falls to the ground.

In the one and a half year of owning this vehicle over the now 15500 kms., I have taken it on a 5500 kms trip which took me to Delhi and Amritsar from Shillong and back in the month of August 2011 and it was during this trip that the ABS of the vehicle failed somewhere near Siliguri while I was on my way to Delhi. There roads were not in the best of conditions when it happened but I have not had this failure when I drove over roads which were in worst conditions earlier. However, what had to happen had happened and when it did, I called up my SA (Service Advisor) at the TASC in Shillong and he advised me that I could continue to drive, despite having informed him that I was on my way to Delhi and that I had another 3500 kms to go before I could return the Shillong. He assured me that I should not have any issues and so I did continue.

The trip was uneventful other than an incident when we were on our way to Wagha from Amritsar. As is the norm there, a three wheeler was coming in the wrong direction and the vehicle infront of me did not want to slow down and when he eventually did, it was such that my vehicle simply skidded on to his and damaged my bumper and the left side headlight and fog light. More on the reasons for this later.

For the entire trip, the Safari gave me an average of 12 kmpl with some spirited driving.

When I finally returned to Shillong, the vehicle was handed over to the body shop of the TASC and I was told that I could have it back in 21 days (three weeks). However, this was not to be and I was eventually returned the vehicle after 5 weeks due to extra work load on the body shop. Meanwhile, the 3rd service was due on the 22nd September, 2011 and I collected the vehicle from the body shop and took it to the workshop of the TASC where the 3rd service was to be done. It was during this service that the SA, who was called when the ABS had failed, was shown the vehicle, which all these days, was sitting with the body shop and the failed ABS was brought to his notice along with a few other issues which included:

1. The AC vent for the read passengers’ foot well was not working. It could not be closed.
2. A few noises were constantly being heard from the left side of the dash board.
3. A couple of times, the engine mal-function light had come on during the trip.

Other than these, the engine oil was to be changed.

Since the vehicle was to go back to the body shop after the service, I specifically asked the SA not to wash the vehicle which I told him could be done once the vehicle would come back after the final work at the body shop. The same day, I received a call from the SA who informed me that while all the other issues were addressed, with the ABS he had discovered that the sensors for the ABS had been damaged and that they did not have the same in stock and that they had placed a request with TML to send them the same. I was informed that since the vehicle was to go back to the body shop for the accidental repairs, I could get the ABS fixed once this work was completed. They offered to send the vehicle to the body shop on their own but I wanted to do a visual inspection and so declined this offer and collected the vehicle from the TASC and left it with the body shop personally.

When I was there to collect the vehicle, the SA told me that for him this this was the first instance when the ABS sensors for a Safari had failed. I asked him if this was due to my driving to which he responded by saying that an ABS system is installed in such a way so that it cannot be disabled or damaged under any circumstances and that these are, in his words, “fail safe” mechanisms. However, he told me that had this not failed, I would probably not have had that accident at Amritsar. However, as per him, the sensors were damaged and things would be normal once these were replaced.

After a couple of weeks, the vehicle was ready from the body shop and I collected the same from there and went back to the workshop where the ABS sensors were to be installed. This was done but to my dismay, I was informed by the SA that despite them having changed the sensors, the system was still indicating a malfunctioning ABS and that they would need to change the rear sensors as well and again, they did not have this in stock and this again would take another 10-15 days. Since I had no option, I had to give in. This was in the 2nd week of October, 2011. However, this 15 days was extended till the 1st week of January, 2012 when finally I was told that the sensors had arrived and that I would need to take the vehicle back to the TASC to get them installed. A date was fixed and the vehicle was left with them for the work. The next day, I got a call to collect the vehicle and when I went there, I checked and found that the ABS malfunction light was not coming on. I could not speak with the SA since he was not available then. I collected the vehicle and to my dismay, after driving for just 2 kms, the light came on again! I promptly called the SA over the phone and he told me to return with the vehicle the next day. Upon taking it back the next day, the vehicle was inspected and I was told that the front and rear sensors were damaged again and this time, even the module controlling the ABS was damaged. Another thing which I noticed was that this time, the light was coming on only after a while and that too after the brakes were applied a few times. Also, what I noticed and conveyed to the SA was that this time, while the ABS were working, the clutch pedal and the accelerator pedal would vibrate vigorously even when the brakes were not used and this was scary! The SA went for a test drive with me and confirmed the same. However, as of now, the vehicle sits with me with the issue since the TASC does not have the sensors and I cannot let it stand at their workshop since this is my daily ride.

What this has taught me is that while I have been a fan of the Safari for as long as I can remember, I cannot digest the fact that there is hardly any quality control at TML and their TASCs and that the Safari loyalists are screwed at will. I use my vehicle regularly on the highways and it has now come to a point that I am skeptical when I drive my vehicle and cannot rely on it anymore. Things have become so bad that I am seriously contemplating selling my 2010 Safari 4x4 having done just 15500 kms and getting a Toyota Fortuner. The decision will be made in the next couple of weeks.

This has made me vow that I will never get a Tata vehicle in my life even if someone hands me one for free.

That’s all what I had to report for now. Will update as and when a decision is made.

Requesting the mods to change the title to something that appropriately depicts the sequence of events.

Last edited by SumitB : 31st January 2012 at 17:23.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:23   #39
Team-BHP Support

Its sad that you need to sell a brand new vehicle. You will lose a lot of money in resale. So my advise to you is to get the ABS sensors replaced, if there is no other major problem with the vehicle.
However, if things are cropping up here and there, sell the vehicle now, and go for the fortuner.
In all the ownership reviews, I have found just one owner who is not happy with the gearshift, and resolution offered by Toyota dealers. None of the the other owners have long threads highlighting problems in some sensor or other.
Since you do not seem to have very good Tata service in your area, a fortuner makes good sense, but remember, it costs twice as much as the Safari!
Old 1st February 2012, 12:28   #40
BHPian

Exactly my thoughts Tanveer. Its better to dispose off the vehicle now when there are limited issues rather tan wait for more issues to crop up at the hands of these incompetent technicians.

Any indicative price which I may get for the vehicle if I sell it today?
Old 18th June 2015, 12:22   #41
BHPian

Re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist

After nearly 3 and a half years, first, some bad news. After having done close to 45000 kms on the 4x4, at the moment, the vehicle is sitting at the TASC in Shillong as it has been detected that due to the engine overheating, a problem has been detected with the head gasket and a piston. The reason for the overheat, I have been told, is leaking coolant.

My question is, as a vehicle owner, especially when your vehicle is still under warranty/extended warranty, what are you supposed to do if you detect or suspect a problem with your vehicle? In my case, since day one of ownership, I have been complaining about a probable coolant leak to the TASC. I purchased the vehicle on the 22nd of September, 2010 and got its 1st service done on the 20th of October. On the 21st of October, 2010, I, along with my wife, went on a short trip to Guwahati which is a mere 100 kms from Shillong. On the way, the vehicle’s air conditioner stopped working and suddenly, the vehicle started loosing power and the engine map-function lamp came on. Since I was unaware of the problem, I immediately called up my Service Advisor in Shillong as soon as my mobile phone had a signal. I was made to do a few checks and when I opened the engine bay, I saw huge splashes of coolant all over the engine bay. I was asked by the SA to purchase some HP Thanda Raja coolant from the nearest HP Pump and carry on and reach the nearest TASC. My vehicle went into a “limp mode” and it would not go above 20 or 30 km/ph and upon reaching the authorised service centre of M/s. Ghosh Brothers in Guwahati, I was told that they had detected a coolant leak which according to them had been fixed and the coolant was topped up. I was told to carry without a worry.

However, over a period of time, it was discovered that the vehicle was loosing coolant at an alarming rate and whenever the same was conveyed to my ASC, I was always told that they have not found anything and that all was well.

I somehow must have got used to it and never really bothered about it much. Just kept a few bottles of the recommended coolant in my vehicle for emergencies.

The vehicle made several short and long trips and on the last such long trip during March-April-May of 2013, I was travelling with my family and extended family to the northern part of our beautiful country. The 4x2 was also accompanying us. On this trip, the vehicle had to visit the TASC at Gorakhpur, UP. Here too, they topped up the coolant. Then upon reaching Delhi NCR, I had to again take it to another TASC at Gurgaon for I was experiencing low cooling with the air conditioner. Here again, a drop of coolant level was detected and again coolant was topped up. I was asked by the SA at this TASC to keep a check on the coolant level and wherever it was detected to be low, to top it up.

When I came back to Shillong, I got it checked and yet again, they only left it after topping up coolant with an advice “to add water” when level goes down. Due to various issues, I stopped using the vehicle and would generally use it on the odd Sunday when the kids wanted to go for a longish drive. On one such drive in October of last year, I was on the highway when the vehicle stalled. On trouble shooting, it was discovered that the engine was overheating so much that the plastic engine cover came off when the studs holing it in place melted and a “thak-thak” sound was audible. Not wanting to take a risk, I SOSed my friend who brought his Getaway and towed me back to Shillong and I parked it in my house.

Due to various reasons related to work and family, I had to travel in and out of Shillong and never really had the time or the inclination to take the vehicle to the TASC until recently. Currently the vehicle sits at the local ASC and today I got confirmation that due to the constant drop in coolant levels, the engine’s head gasket needs replacement and that one of the pistons has bent and moved out of place thus needing replacement. Total expense is expected to be to the tune of 1 Lakh!

They have also informed me that they have detected the source of the leaking coolant and I have been informed that it is leaking from somewhere near the firewall.

I am out of words!
Old 18th June 2015, 13:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist

The only resolution I can think of is, replacing the entire engine which Tata must foot. First for manufacturing a vehicle whose coolant leaks and its multiple ASCs couldn't locate the source leading to this chaos.
Old 18th June 2015, 13:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The only resolution I can think of is, replacing the entire engine which Tata must foot. First for manufacturing a vehicle whose coolant leaks and its multiple ASCs couldn't locate the source leading to this chaos.
If wishes were horses, men would fly. I don't think TML is even bothered. I have sought time for a couple of days to escalate this issue and hope that someone from TML takes note.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:34   #44
BHPian

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here,I was able to convince my family not to go for Indian cars because of this thread. I really do feel bad and I don't know how have you kept cool all this time.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here,I was able to convince my family not to go for Indian cars because of this thread. I really do feel bad and I don't know how have you kept cool all this time.
I did not have any option, did I? 3 months down the line, the vehicle is still at the TASC. They have only managed to procure the head till now. They are waiting for the radiator to arrive. They have not been able to procure the battery till now and are asking me if I have "contacts" who can get them the battery! Oh, and did I mention that I will have to foot the bill? Tata have refused to budge.

If I can convince one person not to buy a Tata, I will have some solace. Looks like I have been able to with you. Thank you for not buying a Tata. I appreciate your decision. It gives me some peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks