Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist

It is a well known fact on T-BHP that most people purchase the Safari as they are generally drawn to the beast from the heart. I for one was drawn to the beast for this reason. The fact that it was the only capable SUV under 15 lakhs did help and what the Safari is capable of is well documented by Tanveer and adc. For me, it helped that my better half was more a Safari fan than I was and she would not allow me to look at any other vehicle! Ultimately, we have 2 Safari VXs in the family, one the 4x4 and the other the 4x2, both delivered on the 22nd September 2010!

I have been looking to procure the Safari since 2006. I have put up my queries about its ownership and issues several times here. I have been actively participating in the ownership thread of others and at one point of time, was probably branded as a fanboy by the Safari haters on the forum. However, I could never acquire the beast due to lack of funds despite having booked it first in September 2006 by paying a booking amount of Rs. 5000/-. As they say, man proposes, God disposes. There were a few other occasions when I was expecting some funds but that never happened and the Safari never showed up.

Fast forward to 2010 May. Funds sitting in my bank account. Wife expecting our first baby. No vehicle to run to in case of an emergency, we (me, wife, in-laws) decided to get a vehicle which will serve us in case of an emergency. Budget fixed at 3 lakhs for this “spare” vehicle. We zeroed in on the Alto. Visited the showroom and rejected the vehicle due to lack of space especially for me, I am 6’+. We were discussing the other possibilities and decided to raise out budget to 5 lakhs on the spot. We also decided to drop the Alto altogether and were about to leave the showroom and visit the Tata dealership which was next door. The dealership sensing that a potential customer (with cash) is about to be lost, tempted us to have a look at the other options. The SE took us to a maroon Ritz parked at their showroom. Me and my father-in-law liked the vehicle. It was within our budget but then we realised that we could get the diesel too for a few thousands more. Inquired about the diesel and were told that it would take a minimum of 45 days. Disappointed, we left the dealership and entered the Tata dealer. This was the dealer to whom I had paid Rs. 5000/- in September, 2006 for booking the Safari. I had a good rapport with the Manager of the dealership and so we directly went to his office and met with him. Explained the whole story to him and told him to find a solution to our dilemma. We told him that we have a fixed budget of 5 lakhs and need a diesel vehicle for its economy. We told him that it will be an all cash purchase and that we had just rejected the Ritz for its waiting period. He gave us a wicked smile and asked us to follow him to his yard. The dealership is huge and their yard is just behind their main showroom on the outskirts of Shillong. At his yard, he took us to the Anniversary edition of the Indica. It was the Indica Vista Quadrajet in Porcelain white. The vehicle was covered in dust but the interiors were clean. It was an all leather interior done in taste. Integrated stereo. My father-in-law liked the vehicle and inquired about the total damages that we would have to bear and we were informed that there was an on-going offer for free insurance on the vehicle but the final damanges would be a good 74000/- more than our already enhanced budget. We looked at each other and spoke with my wife and mother-in-law and within 5 minutes it was decided. We were taking this vehicle. No test drives asked for, none offered. We simply wanted to end the dilemma as we were desperate for a vehicle. We offered to pay cash and the manager got interested and asked us to have a cup of tea in his office. While having tea, we took out 2 lakhs and placed it on his table and an advance and asked him to get the vehicle ready. I had done a visual inspection of the vehicle in the yard. Checked for any defects to the paint. Checked the engine bay. Checked the dates on the tyres and had given a go-ahead to my family before we said yes to the manager, so we had not really played blind here. On paying the advance, we told the manager to get the vehicle ready by 4PM, it was 12 noon then. We rushed home and withdrew the balance amount from my bank and were set to return to the dealership at 3PM. Vehicle was delivered the same day and we were happy with the new possession.

Fast forward to another two weeks, the bug to now get the Safari bit me and my wife once again. We knew that this time, we could actually go ahead and get the beast after all! Got onto the new Indica and decided to pay the dealership a visit again. Went straight to the manager’s office and met him. He was surprised to say the least, when we informed him why we were there! Sensing another potential cash-down sale, without wasting any time, he directed us to the showroom’s display area. There stood a Safari 4x4 GX in a green shade, in all its glory. We were informed that this particular vehicle was ordered for a customer and was delayed in transit and the customer had to leave the country for a month. We were informed that if we want, we can take this vehicle and they could order another one for the customer. We rejected this offer as (a) We wanted a vehicle in the Pearl White shade (b) We wanted the VX variant for the Airbags and ABS as we had decided that for few thousands extra, we did not want to feel sorry for ourselves later (c) We were yet to make up our minds between the 4x2 and 4x4. The manager tried all sorts of tricks to make us go for the display unit but we declined. He informed us that the factory had stopped production currently as there was some maintenance going on and that the 4x4 is made on order so that would take a minimum of fifteen days before it would be ready to be loaded on the truck and all kinds of excuses to make me go for the GX. I put my foot down and made it clear to the manager that its either the Pearl White or nothing. Reluctantly, he asked us to accompany him to his office again and offered us some tea. In the meanwhile, he asked his assistant to get the order form and the pricelist. After going through the pricelist, me and my wife decided that since we have waited for such a long time for the Safari, and now that we can afford it, we should get the “best” and so we decided to get the VX 4x4 in Pearl White. We placed an order with the manager and he informed us that considering the plant will get back to production in the first week of July and it would take atleast 40 days for the vehicle to arrive at Shillong from Pune, we could expect the vehicle by the mid of August. We were okay with this and finalised the order and left the dealership happy and content.

A few days later, we narrated the story to my in-laws and they were happy for us. A few days later, my wife spoke with her mother and she was informed that since the day they came to know of the Safari we have ordered, my father-in-law too wanted to get the vehicle for himself but was reluctant to get the same on a loan. My wife asked me if we could do something about it and I smiled. I told her to give me a few days and the topic ended. I had already calculated that I could indeed get the vehicle for my father-in-law and a few days later, we ended up again at the showroom and met with the manager. He was surprised and had a broad smile on his face when I communicated to him that I was there to order another Safari and that I wanted to take delivery of both on the same date. He promptly brought out the price list and placed it in-front of me. We had earlier decided that the vehicle would be a GX but my wife told me that if this would be the case then my sister-in-laws would feel bad as their vehicle would not have the “screens” and ours would have. Looking at the price list, I conveyed the difference between the GX and the VX to my wife and the manager intervened and told us that if we would take two vehicles together, he could do something by means of a healthy discount! This made the decision change and we ordered the Safari VX 4x2 in Pearl White for my father-in-law. The advances were paid and we specified that we would take delivery on the same day for both the vehicles and left. The manager was to keep us informed about the status of both the vehicles and he did so. The tentative date for delivery for the vehicles was around the 15th of August and we were well prepared for the arrival of our dream vehicles. However, we had a sudden change of plans in the 1st week of August and had to rush to Delhi for a family emergency on the 8th of August. We informed the manager about the same and he was kind enough to wait for us. The stay in Delhi was longer than we anticipated and the manager was getting panicky! However, he decided to wait for us but we had another problem to find a solution to! The shraddhs were to start on the 23rd of September and our work in Delhi had no end in sight. Under no circumstances could we take delivery between the 23rd September and the 8th October, but as it was fate at play, we managed to finish our work in Delhi on the 21st September and immediately booked our tickets to return to Shillong the next day. In order to ensure that we reach Shillong on time, we booked for the 5AM flight from Delhi and arrived at Guwahati at 8AM and reached Shillong at 11AM. Our happiness knew no bounds and we took delivery of the vehicles at 5PM on the 22nd September, 2010.

The delivery went off without issues. Checked both the vehicles using the T-BHP Checklist and found nothing amiss. Signed on the dotted lines and drove off and our happiness knew no bounds.

Here are a few pictures of the vehicles taken a few days after delivery. These were taken at Cherrapunjee with fog in the background.
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-1.jpg
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist-2.jpg

I will post a few issues I have had with the vehicles and also write about an accident which I had met with in the 4x4 while going on a trip. Currently, we have owned the vehicles for just about 6 months and despite all the issues which I will narrate in detail, we are happy with the behemoths and are glad that we got them.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 12:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2-(Not all's Well)

Looking two whites together is fabulous. Congrats on the purchase. Do post your initial ride experience along with the actual niggles you experience.

Good luck
Old 11th March 2011, 12:31   #3
BANNED

Let me be the first one to congratulate you(Oops, I m the second..!!) Sumit. The Safari tugs at the heart like few others which is one the prime reasons it still sells.

You are true Safari fan. 2 of them, in the same color. Wow.

Could you please give me a cost breakdown of both and the discounts that you were able to negotiate with the dealer.

And yes, waiting for your issues and journeys as well. Happy Motoring.

Last edited by n.devdath : 11th March 2011 at 12:32.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:44   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the double dose. Was curious why both opted for pearl white, why not a black and a white. At least once a while you could have swapped the vehicle
Old 11th March 2011, 12:48   #5
BHPian

Thank you all for the wishes.

@v&v: I could have gone in for the black but someone told my wife that she will have an accident in a black vehicle so the superstitious me ruled it out and I went with the Pearl White. For my father-in-law, he would not settle for anything other than the white.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:49   #6
AVR
BHPian

Wow Sumit, one helluva story you've got there! Pearl White looks awesome on the Safari. I hope you've had a great experience with both of them since September!

Looking forward to more ownership details and maintenance since Sep'10!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 11th March 2011, 12:54   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, and I guess that's a first - Two Safari's one same day to top up a Vista QJD a few months back. TATA should give you a special card or something.

You also seem to have done extremely well for yourself since 2006. It's great to see a dream getting through even if later the joy will be that much more. You would have done quite a few kms since Aug last against a very beautiful backdrop, waiting more snaps and more on the initial ownership experience.

As you are aware we can't put up just the buying experience on TBHP anymore.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:03   #8
BHPian

@ACM: Yes, I am aware that I cannot post just the buying experience here anymore. That is the reason I have waited for 6 months to post about the experiences I have had with the Safari and believe me, it has been scary as well as enjoyable. As of today, both the vehicles are at the body shop of the dealership. The 4x4 is there is since the 7th January, 2011 after I met with an accident due to no fault of mine and the 4x2 was put in there yesterday for a minor touch up to the bumper. Both vehicles will be re-delivered after the 2nd free service, sometime next week.

@Mods: Please let this thread continue, I will post the ownership experience for both the vehicles in a couple of days and will ensure that I meet all the guidelines of the forum.

Last edited by SumitB : 11th March 2011 at 13:05.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:06   #9
sGj

Congratulations on the purchase. I’ve always been envious of Safari owners and you’ve got two!
Drive safe.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:43   #10
BHPian

I miss my Safari - I was very close to owning one but ended up with FIAT Punto MJD though I don't think even that was a wrong decision as I am happy with my Punto, but yes Tata Safari is something that is still running in my mind.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:55   #11
BANNED

Congrats on the two beauties! They look sweet. Do post many more pictures and interior pictures too!
You did good by putting your foot down and not agreeing to the dealer. I agree with v&v.
A black and a white safari would have looked awesome, but again these two are no less

Enjoy!
Old 11th March 2011, 13:57   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your buys. Your white cars look very elegant, royal. I will most probably buy my next car in white color too.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:19   #13
BHPian

[quote=SumitB;2274443] As of today, both the vehicles are at the body shop of the dealership. The 4x4 is there is since the 7th January, 2011 after I met with an accident due to no fault of mine and the 4x2 was put in there yesterday for a minor touch up to the bumper. Both vehicles will be re-delivered after the 2nd free service, sometime next week.

Sad to know that you met with an accident. Do post details on the same. The car is in the body shop for more than 2 months now. Was it that bad?
Old 12th March 2011, 13:00   #14
BHPian

Dear Sumit, Congrats on the double Dhamaka. As they say in Hyderabad, its a Bumper Offer

I have a quick question for you though. Since you have experienced both 4x2 and the 4x4 right from the start, do you feel that the 4x4 version has any additional problems compared to the 4x2.

My local mechanic in Hyderabad proclaims that most of the problems he has seen till now on Safaris are usually on the 4x4 versions and that the 4x2 versions are relatively very reliable. Would love to have your views on this.
Old 12th March 2011, 17:41   #15
BHPian

As I have already written about, the 4x4 belongs to me and the 4x2 is with my father-in-law. I generally do a lot of short trips. In the first month, I drove about 1169 in the first month of ownership but the first issue was faced on the 4th day itself. On the 23rd itself, the vehicle was driven through heavy monsoon showers and had got extremely dirty I also drove to the outskirts of the city on the 26th and this added to the dirt accumulated on the vehicle and I was scheduled to go to Guwahati on the 27th. As such, I gave the vehicle for a wash to my local garage on the morning of the 27th which uses high pressure washer to wash vehicles. Even though he did not wash the engine bay, it seems that the ECU got moist and some water entered the sensors. As a result, I got my first engine mal-function light just as I was entering the highway. I stopped the vehicle and waited a for few minutes are tried starting the vehicle again and the light went away without any issues. This was at about 150 kms. on the odo.

The 4x4 was given for its first service with the odo at 1200 kms on the 20th October, 2010. I had read on the forums that it is recommended that the engine oil be changed during the 1st service. Accordingly, I inquired from the TASS and they said that they use the recommended engine oil from Castrol and I asked them to do the oil change. I paid them the following:
1. 8 Lts. Engine Oil - 2048.00
2. Mobil Filter - 182.00
3. Cloth - 40.00
4. Distilled Water - 15.00

I had also reported the following issues to the Service Advisor:
1. Noise from the rear door and rear seats.
2. Noise from the left side passenger door.
3. There is a LED light on the steering column where the key is put in. This light is there on the 4x4 but not functioning on the 4x4.

However, when the vehicle was delivered after service, other than the oil change, no other issues were attended to and I was told to get the vehicle at a later date.

The next day, i. e. the 21st, I was scheduled to go to Guwahati and upon reaching Byrnihat (80 kms. from Shillong), the AC stopped working and the engine was not getting any power and the dreaded Engine Mal-function light came on. Luckily for me, this happened just opposite an HP Petrol Pump. I immediately stopped the vehicle and called up my service advisor at Shillong. He asked me for the symptoms and when I opened the engine bay, I noticed that the coolant was all over the engine and engine bay. I immediately checked the radiator cover and noticed that some great soul had left it loose which resulted in the coolant leaking and causing this. I was really angry at the service advisor and he took the entire brunt of my anger! However, I asked for what I should do and I was directed to purchase some coolant from the pump and fill the coolant bottle with the same. Then, I was advised to drive at under 30 kmph and reach Guwahati and get the vehicle checked at the TASS. I did that and it was detected that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, just that due to the coolant oozing out, the engine had overheated but no damage was done. They however had to top-up the coolant and I was given a bill of Rs. 500/- This however infuriated me, more because this happened 1 day after the first service and demonstrated the kind of people these TASCs employ. A couple of days later I got a call from Pune and I rated the work done at the TASC as zero. However, I don’t think this has made any difference to anyone and I too have not followed up with Tata Motors about the issue.

Things had been smooth ever since until I met with an accident involving the 4x4 on the 6th January, 2011 which I will detail later. However, there are a few niggles which have to be brought to the notice of the TASC and will be done during the 2nd service which is due on or before the 21st March, 2011. These niggles include:
1. Problems with noise and sounds emanating from the seats.
2. While working on the vehicle at Guwahati after the coolant leak, the TASC employees it seems stood on the passenger seat’s arm rest and it has come loose.
3. LED light on the steering column about the ignition keyhole not working.
4. I feel that the left side headlight is out of line.
5. Hand brake is less effective. Seems to me that it needs some tightening.
6. Coolant level still drops rapidly.
These were the issues related to the 4x4. For the 4x2, I did not get the oil change done as my father-in-law was not comfortable with it so soon into the ownership. He has had none of the issues that I have faced. However, he keeps complaining of the driver side power window getting stuck. I spoke to my service advisor at the TASC and he says that he will take care of it during the 2nd service.

Now coming to the driving experience and how it feels to own the Safari, I don’t think there is anything that has not already been said. Other vehicles respect the beast. Taxis and private cars alike give way. However, in my personal experience, the Safari is meant for the highways. Give it an open highway and see it fly. It goes where no other vehicle can and it is what every other vehicle wants to be. When I am on the highway and the vehicle is sparkling clean, I get respect like I am a VIP. On numerous occasions I have been behind escort vehicles and other vehicle owners think that I too am part of the convoy and I get to enjoy the benefits. Overall, I feel that I have reclaimed my life!

@dr_anurag: The accident was not at all severe. I was behind a police escort for about 30 kms. on NH37 when the police vehicle infront of me braked at a red light and I too braked and stopped just behind them. However, there was an old gentleman aged 62 travelling behind me in his santro. While we were behind the escort, the policeman in the flag car signalled the Santro several times to behave as he was trying to overtake all of us from the left. He reluctantly fell in line but at this stop, I don't know what got into him, he did not stop and banged into the boot of my safari at high speed. Even though I was standing on the brake, when this santro hit me, my vehicle got a jerk and hit the police vehicle infront of me. My bonet got a hole! Damage to the front bumper. At the rear, the fog lights were broken and the bumper and camera was damaged. The spare tyre cover was damaged too! What's worse, the gentleman in the Santro had a license which expired in 2008! This was on the 6th January, 2011 but I was in a rush and could not collect the MVI Report and the Police Report. Even though the vehicle was given to the TASC on the 7th, they could only start working on it after I submitted these documents which were procured from the Nagaon Police on the 27th and handed over to the TASC on the 28th. So effectively, they started working on it from the 28th Jan. However, since then too, it has been 40 days since they have the vehicle but the work is still to be completed. I got an estimated time for completion of this work from the TASC at Guwahati of 15 days but till then I had already given the vehicle to my local TASC. They are scheduled to give me the vehicle next week. However, I still felt sorry for this elderly gentleman. His Santro in my books was a total loss as the engine was way inside the passenger cabin and moreover, the policeman at the local police station was so angry with him that he entered in the Police Report that the Santro was responsible for this whole mess and that the gentleman who was driving the santro had his license expire in 2008! What's worse, this gentleman wanted to file an FIR against me at this police station! They burst into a laughter when they heard this!

@Diesel9999: In my experience, there is no difference in the reliability of the 4x2 and the 4x4. It is generally the TASC and QC at TATA which give the vehicle a bad name.

Last edited by SumitB : 12th March 2011 at 18:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks