Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 20:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sarge - The Scorpio MHawk VLX 4x4 with Airbags

NFS .
Congrats Man, the car surely looks awesome , specially the one which shows the right hand side headlamp and fog lamp .
Seeing more and more Scorpio's threads here is surely making my choice of my next ride pretty simple , a 4X4 white Scorpio for sure .

Along with accessories you have planned get some extra lamps and a front bumper guard like our fellow bhpian rjstyles69 has on this ride .

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Sarge - The Scorpio MHawk VLX 4x4 with Airbags-5.jpg  

Old 16th March 2011, 20:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

VLX. 4 x 4. Airbags. You could've gone the whole way and got an AT too! Just kidding!

That's a fantastic vehicle you've got yourself. Many congratulations on it and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Re: the V-Kool vs 3M thing - even though I personally have chosen 3M CR-70 for the front windshield and Llumar for the remaining glasses, I concur with Red_Liner. V-Kool would be more apt for the Chennai summer. A www.justdial.com search for Chennai gave me these entries for V-Kool dealers. Check them out if you like.

V Kool Films India Pvt Ltd
Mr Jaytirath,Mr Raja V D
+(91)-44-66325908
+(91)-9742766997, 9345288999
578 Ground Floor, Near Transcar Showroom, Anna Salai Teynampet, Thousand Lights, Chennai - 600006

V Kool Films India Pvt Ltd
Mr Sundaram
+(91)-9381775236
576, Next To Kamaraja Memorial Hall, Anna Sali,Tay Nampet, Thousand Lights, Chennai - 600006

Auto Associates
Mr Dushyant Mehra(Proprietor),Mr Mukesh Mehra
+(91)-44-66321399
+(91)-(44)-42158005
+(91)-9840052931, 9940485065
No 121, General Patters Rd, Mount Road, Chennai - 600002

Re: the nudge bar - one word - DON'T! The Scorpio looks butch enough without the bull/nudge guard.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th March 2011 at 20:57.
Old 16th March 2011, 21:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
VLX. 4 x 4. Airbags. You could've gone the whole way and got an AT too! Just kidding!
Vikram, the AT is not a suggested buy on the Scorpio. Mahindra has not perfected that addition in their cars yet. With Indian manufacturers, you want to stick with the manual.
Old 16th March 2011, 21:57   #19
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Congratulations on the great new addition to your garage. It is not recommended to upgrade/change the tyres because of the TPMS installed. It could damage the sensors. A couple of months back I bought the same car in 4X4 and in the same colour too. Instead of floor mats I have used thick small washable carpets. It adds to the luxurious feel. Do go through the manual on 4X4 driving before trying it out. Hope you have years of pleasant driving.
Not a "Change and try" person on a new vehicle. I have no experience altering vehicles especially 4wheelers. Also as advised by you, will not try anything at this point of time, wanted to tame the beast first and then may be after 3yrs, I will do all mischief on these. Yes, read through the manual completely one pass. Next pass would be siting inside the vehicle and trying out all options one after the other. In fact I did not even use the wipers till now (wanted to complete reading of User manual first).

Congrats on your scorpio too. Wish you miles of smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Hi NFS
Hearty congratulations on your purchase.
Nice pics! Your mighty diamond white beast looks great. The new family member enhanced the looks of the house. I am sure you enjoy each and every km of your ride on the beast!
I will be fallowing your further updates and experiences with the beast.
Drive safe.
Thanks, yes the garage looks good now. Will keep everyone posted on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
congrats on your scorpio, looks great in white. How is the ride quality and overall fit and finish of your vehicle? I also brought a scorpio recently, apart from the ride quality, I am happy with my vehicle. You can check my review on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s4-airbag.html, hope you have lakhs of happy trouble free miles
Thanks for the wishes. Yes ride is little bumpy now, expecting it to become smoother as I go on. Fit & Finish was a major concern for me, but then that was a compromise that I had made. Average fit and finish I would say, some are really sharp edges. Door levers are hard to operate etc.

Congrats on your Buy too! will read your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Heartiest congratulations! Have a happy ride.

Would love to see the accessories and additional fitments as and when you plan them. Would love to know about your ICE, seat covers and sun film plans in specific.
Thanks, Not much of accessories are planned for now. Will run on stock ICE (very poor sound quality, though). Yes, Seat Covers and Sun Films + Floor mat are in the pipeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
NFS .
Congrats Man, the car surely looks awesome , specially the one which shows the right hand side headlamp and fog lamp .
Seeing more and more Scorpio's threads here is surely making my choice of my next ride pretty simple , a 4X4 white Scorpio for sure .

Along with accessories you have planned get some extra lamps and a front bumper guard like our fellow bhpian rjstyles69 has on this ride .

Cheers
Thanks for the wishes, Will convey the appreciations of photography to my Brother in law. He took care of that job while we were busy getting keys, distributing sweets etc. Will await arrival of your new scorpio, keep me posted.

White Scorpio of rjstyles69 is a great looking vehicle. I had drawn inspiration from him a lot, reading his threads, admiring his vehicle photographs etc. I wanted to have the same Nudge guard and may be the hella lights later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

That's a fantastic vehicle you've got yourself. Many congratulations on it and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Re: the V-Kool vs 3M thing - even though I personally have chosen 3M CR-70 for the front windshield and Llumar for the remaining glasses, I concur with Red_Liner. V-Kool would be more apt for the Chennai summer. A www.justdial.com search for Chennai gave me these entries for V-Kool dealers. Check them out if you like.

* removed list of dealers intentionally *

Re: the nudge bar - one word - DON'T! The Scorpio looks butch enough without the bull/nudge guard.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks, You are right, I did consider AT, but with my love towards MT made me go forward with this. Of course, I did test drive the AT and it was fun, as I had nothing much to do (felt like the Kinetic Honda, accelerate, brake, accelerate, break, and so on...)

Thanks for the list of VKool distributors, will try them and let you know. That was great help.

Yes, the Nudge guard is not for the butch looks, but to keep a little distance from other vehicles. I too want to have a small corner post to mark my left side (at least initially)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Vikram, the AT is not a suggested buy on the Scorpio. Mahindra has not perfected that addition in their cars yet. With Indian manufacturers, you want to stick with the manual.
RedLiner: you are right, we have a lot of threads talking about AT and its problems. Moreover, I did not feel like going for AT, as the real drive pleasure is in MT. AT IMO revs more during acceleration and it looks too odd. May be it is just me! I did drive some ATs in US the Japs and Americans, but loved the RAV4 manual (may be I love the Jeep like looks)
Old 17th March 2011, 00:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi NFS, My heartfelt congratulations for your new buy the Sarge.
Great to see your dream of buying an SUV getting fulfilled. Of course I know you loved Jeep, but Scorpio is nowhere less than a Jeep if not better.

The car looks nice and fine from all Angles. It would be part of great discussions during our next meet (BTW we have to plan for one).

Lastly, Good that you chose Scorpio over Xylo, suits you and your nature more. Will keep a tab on this space for your ownership experience.
Again congrats.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:56   #21
BHPian

Congratulations NFS on your 4x4 vehicle. I will be keeping a close watch on this thread. Regarding the nudge bar, I am also on the lookout. I somehow don't like the bull bar and like you I too want something just to maintain the distance from other vehicles (especially the rear side).
Old 17th March 2011, 10:28   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.). To know more about this rule, and for review guidelines, please view this announcement.

Your thread is temporarily closed. Please report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving & ownership report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:52   #23
NFS
BHPian

Part III - The Experience

Discounts: 50% on insurance (31,000 / 2) got 15,500 went with my own Insurance person from B4j4j A11ianz - took the 100% coverage above the comprehensive insurance (total premium 34,000). Received some basic items free from the dealership (four door scuff plates, Rain visors, and transparent floor mat - detailed photos soon). I had asked for car cover, which I had not received till now.

Driving & Feel: The first floor driving is what amazes me all the time. You would agree the upgrade was from basement (Zen) to First Floor(Scorpio). IMO, Scorpio is best when driven nicely (no zipping through traffic). The character of the vehicle is like driving a 500cc bullet. You go dod, dod, dod, dod and not all around the road and not on 2500RPM all the time. Scorpio gains a lot of respect with its presence (I do not believe that white scorpios are given the politico image now, as there are plenty of them on the road) and as a responsible driver, I should not let that respect go away. Responsibility increases driving such big vehicles (read TBHP sticker coming soon on my car).

ORVM is huge but the message "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" is very significant when I compared the same object in the IRVM. I had not felt this in my ZEN (or any other car that I had driven before), may be we need to get used to. Big ORVMs provide a good view area, impressive. Knowing what is on your left side or rear is a challenge, (I guess it is a problem for huge vehicles).

Seemless Accelartion and Braking - Potholes are not an issue - but big ones really rock the SUV - Objects on seat may fall down and unstrapped children may too.

Fit and Finish are not upto the mark - I knew this even before opting for Scorpio - Space inside is good for me (5.7ft) and my family - upgrade from Zen is always spacious - We had squezzed in 7 adults + 3kids in a zen, with that ratio, I can load at least 15 people in the scorpio - City travel is not difficult though it had lot to get used to - IMO Petrol to Diesel was huge jump and so was the character of the engines

Somethings that we will not like:
- Look from different angles, you will see some alignment or panel gaps
- Door handle sometimes is too hard to operate
- Remote key fob at times becomes un-responsive
- Reverse camera shows stop sign all the time (reported to the dealer, will have a look at first service)
- Gear shift is too tight when clutch is not fully depressed (my mistake, I should depress the clutch fully, I am learning)
- Fuel guage at times show wrong info
- Reaching the roof to clean is little difficult (may be Jo pa su is the manthra)
- Jack lever position & wheel spanner position could be better (currently under the middle seat)
- Stepney position - had a nozzle hole to fill air earlier - discontinued now - checking the pressure is really hard now
- Horn pads are too tight (I got used to this a little bit now), but still at times by the time you honk the need would have been long gone. Zen was better.
- Spelling mistakes in User Manual - too bad
- Dashboard Glove box - you have to slam it to close - Not enough space inside - not lockable
- No other closed storage space other than Glove box
- No cig lighter - even though there are two provisions for 12v outlet (good gesture in a way, but my 2001 Zen had this) - Cost cutting?
- Rear door needs to be slammed, when all other doors are closed with windows raised.

The best part
- Welcome message is cool
- Seats are very comfortable - at least the driver seat
- White light from head light gives better visibility (though it would be better if upgraded, but I will wait)
- Interior theater like automatic light switch off is good
- 20Kms speed auto door lock
- Doors not closed voice mesg
- Wear seat belt Voice mesg
- Hand brakes engaged voice mesg
- Very responsive engine
- The turbo whistle sound is good to hear (I love the purrr of the idling too)
- In a way fully loaded, for an average person, there is no need for upgrades - rating it as a good package overall.
- Power window controls positioned between the driver and passenger seat permits all front passengers happy + second row passengers happy too. When someone want to control they can. Some of us may think they are a nuisance positioned there.
- AC could have been Climate Control (I would have paid another 20K for this). The present system cools the cabin in 2 to 3 minutes, but too noisy when the fan speed is beyond 2nd stage. Airflow direction control can be improved. They let only minimal adjustments. Closing of vents is a good feature to have.
- As a tourer (5 seater) I have a lot of luggage space with rear Side facing seats folded.
- Being Side facing seats, when you have some luggage, you could fold one seat and arrange them on one side - lets one person occupy the other seat. This makes the side facing seat configurable to 5 seater (both folded) / 6 seater (one seat folded) / 7 seater (no seats folded). I thought that was cool.
- Door lock is independent from the door handle now
- Rear door opening like a real door helps easy ingress for rear passengers, unlike a hatch.
- Speedo is in 70+ very quickly you never feel the strain (blame the engine, ha ha)
- No more under body scrapping or getting scared of going over a speed breaker or taking a rough patch of the road or driving on a non-existent road.

Some surprises: We were offered 10 Liters of free diesel and the Sales rep requested us to fill up before going any further. We did and later I topped up at my favourite bunk (My top up consumed only 40Liters). Subsequent filling after the message on VMS "Your scorpio is running on reserve fuel" too took only 40 Liters. Specifications say 60 litres fuel tank, is 20 liters considered as reserve (1/3 of the total capacity)? Not sure.

Till now, I filled 90 litres and 740kms with 50% fuel in the tank (as per the fuel guage). Not sure of the accuracy.

After sales: Yet to go in for the First Service, there were two phone calls asking about the service and vehicle after delivery. One was from Mahindra directly, they wanted me to use a rating system. I thought it would be just objective type questions, but when I rated certain items as satisfactory, lady asked for details. Second call was from the Dealer call center. When I talked about the problems, she expressed her sorrow (as if some one died), which was odd (or rather trained to do, felt awkward). This call was after 30 days, but no actions I found after the call, though I complained about the small niggles. Good service or Bad service? I am not sure.

Want of Dead pedal: Scorpio is not provided with a dead pedal, and for me, I never felt the need for one. It could be just me. Moreover, the foot well has little space to retrofit one.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Some surprises: We were offered 10 Liters of free diesel and the Sales rep requested us to fill up before going any further. We did and later I topped up at my favourite bunk (My top up consumed only 40Liters). Subsequent filling after the message on VMS "Your scorpio is running on reserve fuel" too took only 40 Liters. Specifications say 60 litres fuel tank, is 20 liters considered as reserve (1/3 of the total capacity)? Not sure.
60 litres - Thats interesting - never could fill more than a litre or so above 40 in mine. By any chance is this is 4wd specialization?
Old 18th March 2011, 18:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations NFS! welcome to Scorpers Club, Happy Motoring!
Old 18th March 2011, 18:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) belatedly welcomes Sarge onto the roads, and says hello. I say congratulations to the Sarge's owner!
Quote:
...filling after the message on VMS "Your scorpio is running on reserve fuel" too took only 40 Liters. Specifications say 60 litres fuel tank, is 20 liters considered as reserve (1/3 of the total capacity)? Not sure.

Want of Dead pedal: Scorpio is not provided with a dead pedal, and for me, I never felt the need for one. It could be just me. Moreover, the foot well has little space to retrofit one.
Yes, the first VMS message comes with between 38-42 litres consumed, then repeats itself twice at intervals of 25-32 km (irritatingly doing it four times on the third round, as if the world is coming to an end, even though there are 12-15 litres sloshing around in the tank still.

About the dead pedal, I remember someone had posted here about such a modification using a Xylo dead pedal and some innovative work, but I'm feeling too lazy to search right now.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:49   #27
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi NFS, My heartfelt congratulations for your new buy the Sarge.
Great to see your dream of buying an SUV getting fulfilled. Of course I know you loved Jeep, but Scorpio is nowhere less than a Jeep if not better.

The car looks nice and fine from all Angles. It would be part of great discussions during our next meet (BTW we have to plan for one).

Lastly, Good that you chose Scorpio over Xylo, suits you and your nature more. Will keep a tab on this space for your ownership experience.
Again congrats.
Thanks for the wishes and let us plan on a meet. Are you back in Chennai? How is your search for PHD going on? will catch up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
Congratulations NFS on your 4x4 vehicle. I will be keeping a close watch on this thread. Regarding the nudge bar, I am also on the lookout. I somehow don't like the bull bar and like you I too want something just to maintain the distance from other vehicles (especially the rear side).
Thanks a lot for the wishes, when are you going to include your ownership thread? yours is a 4x4 automatic, correct? We should meet soon, any possibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Congratulations NFS! welcome to Scorpers Club, Happy Motoring!
Thanks, I did indeed read your threads and once again thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
60 litres - Thats interesting - never could fill more than a litre or so above 40 in mine. By any chance is this is 4wd specialization?
No wonder I am surprised! so you too in the same situation. As per Mahindra Scorpio Website the Fuel Tank Capacity is 60Lts (in the user manual too) New Scorpio VLX | Luxury SUV Vehicle | 4 Wheel Drive | Mahindra Motors | Scorpio Vehicle

Cost cutting?

I am attaching a screen shot here.
Attached Thumbnails
Sarge - The Scorpio MHawk VLX 4x4 with Airbags-ftcapacity.jpg  

Last edited by NFS : 18th March 2011 at 18:51. Reason: Image Copyright of TBHP appeared right on top of the highlighted area
Old 18th March 2011, 19:30   #28
BHPian

Hello NFS,
Congrats on the new beast! Do you go for off-roading regularly?

On the fuel tank capacity, the capacity is 60 out of which 10 liters are for reserve. You you get an alert that "your scorpio runs on reserve fuel" when it touches red mark in the guage. From that point I was able to fill 47-49 liters regularly[till now about 5 times]. I do full tank always and refill happens after this messgae comes.

Regards,
Scorpio Fan

Last edited by scorpio_fan : 18th March 2011 at 19:32.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the wishes, when are you going to include your ownership thread? yours is a 4x4 automatic, correct? We should meet soon, any possibilities?
Yes, I got my 4x4 automatic on Feb 18th. I'm enjoying driving it. I am still writing my ownership thread. Have to take few photographs. Somehow it keeps on getting postponed. Have made a list of things that Mahindra should improve .

1. The pathetic distance the key remote is able to operate
2. Almost unusable space on the dashboard
3. Horrible glove box design and what you can fit inside it.
4. inaccurate fuel capacity indicator
5. inability to fill air in the spare tire.
6. fit & finish of the dashboard plastic

Have ordered quite a few things from ebay (ipod dock to have my ipod & gps audio connected to the Nippon HU simultaneously, 12v compressor, GPS mount, etc). By any chance are you coming to Velachery tomorrow?
Old 19th March 2011, 19:36   #30
BHPian

I have also refilled my Scorpio a couple of times till the brim. It seems that the tank is only able to take 40 liters after this, so the reserve actually comes on when there is around 20 liters in the tank and the fuel indicator shows 1 bar remaining. It is a bit strange but better safe than sorry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks