Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 22:08   #1
BHPian

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience

The Name "Ford" never really meant anything to me one year ago, Being a complete novice on cars, I never really had any brand in mind while the thought of buying a car came into my mind. For me a car was a purely a status symbol and something that I needed to buy eventually but definitely not something that I would have considered seriously. I had my Bikes (Yamaha FZ16 and Honda Unicorn) to satisfy my driving urges and also to keep me young at heart. I have travelled extensively on bikes doing almost full South India trips on my trusty Unicorn and when she was getting old and kind of slow I had my Yamaha to get me back up to speed. So I guess buying a car was not at all in my mind until the Inevitable happened.... "Marriage".

Call me clichéd but after marriage the thrill of having your girlfriend behind you in a bike slowly fades and worried thoughts about Safety, Getting drenched in rains, Heating up in summer, Space for carrying big shopping bags, Family visits to Temples/Relatives etc creep in. So as per my Wife's advice, the only answer to all my worries was to buy a car. So there you go a decision to buy a car was made, now for the Hard part. Which one?????

First, I didnt know how to drive a car so had to learn that first but before doing that the research started. Initially it was just seeing my friends' cars, fidgeting with the interiors, admiring whatever they said about their cars blindly, everybody thought their car was the best for whatever reasons and I agree but never really got much out of this approach so decided to get somewhere quickly on learning to drive first. So my close friend and his Alto became my Lab Rats, After long hours of training (More like fighting) and Frustration I learnt how to drive a car in "Bangalore Traffic". I was never used to going slow, watching out for other traffic, Understanding the Right of way and all the other things that make one a sensible driver. But once behind a car's wheel and witnessing first hand how other hot blooded bikers drive, I was shocked to realize what a reckless idiot I was before. So now that I was ready to drive I decided to test drive few cars for myself before finalizing one.

My requirement was very simple; I needed a bigger car than Alto . So hmmm…that didn’t narrow it down too much. Wait, of course money mattered so I had to fix my budget below 7 lakhs, and I drive an average of 2500 Kms per month so it had to be a Diesel car. Most of my driving is in city so I need a compact car (Read hatchback) because I am still a new driver and was not sure I could handle a sedan. And the most important part was Space, we are a family of Giants (Me being 6ft) and have a dog to fit in the car as well. Fuel Efficiency, Maintenance and Resale value didn’t matter to me too much at this point. Thought I can use those as deciding factors later on.

Now the requirements were finalized, the cars that really could match up to it were Punto (Still in love with it), Figo and since many of my friends insisted I put Swift in the race as well. But Swift didn’t stay there for a long time because of the waiting period. Other cars like Polo, Fabia and Ritz were also test driven but they were out either because of Cost factor or Space Factor.

I think from this point onwards the decision became very tough, For me I could not distinguish between the drive feel of Punto and Figo, Both looked equally refined and smooth, Both were solidly built and had decent space, But oh oodles of style on punto almost made me buy it but then the "Wife factor" also kicked in. She just couldn’t keep her thoughts to herself, she had to go ahead and point out the price difference between the cars and when you logically look at it Figo Titanium is still cheaper than Punto Emotion. FE, Maintenance and Resale Value all seemed to be equally matched, so now where do I go? . Then came Team-BHP to the rescue. After reading lots and lots of reviews of both cars made up my mind to go for Figo for couple of reasons

1. Cost - lesser than Punto
2. Success of Figo, I saw more Figo's on Roads than Punto and Team-BHP's sales figures thread confirmed it.

So I thought Figo was a safer bet. All this while I was still thinking with my brain and not my Heart about Figo, but it all was changed when I asked for a second test drive with the dealer. I took the car to Mysore Road and nearly went till Bidadi from Bangalore and back, The drive was such an amazing experience, Felt very secure in the car with good brakes and seating position was spot on for my height. The car was able to do above 120 and to my surprise I was felt very confident at that speeds and moreover what really impressed me was the smoothness of the drive, it was an absolute delight to drive. The best part was the steering console, till date I cant put my finger on it but I am completely impressed with the steering wheel and the dash and the feel of it. While coming back, on a deserted stretch of the ring road I pushed the car till 0 to 140 in about 1 Km stretch of road. That was it for me, I had my doubts on the car's performance after purely comparing the tech specs of each car but this Drag convinced me once and for all about the performance of Figo.

Now for the Sales and Delivery Experience. I bought this car from Cauvery Ford Bangalore and the sales process was pretty hassle free. I had one more friend of mine who was ready to buy a Figo and we approached the dealer with two cars in mind. The sales guy was very helpful now that he is getting the deal for two cars. I was promised the following accessories (Same for my friend)

1. Sun Films for Windows- Llumar
2. USB cable for ICE
3. Cash Discounts of 5500Rs for Third year warranty and essential accessories (Floor mats and mud flaps)
4. Floor mats and mud flaps added free of cost
5. Body Cover
6. Teflon Polishing
7. Fog Lamps for 2500 Rs (Discount of 850 Rs)
Apart from these, As a part of corporate discount I got 40% discount on Insurance (4000Rs)

So in total had close to 10K as cash discount and accessories worth 7K free. Thought it was a good deal considering that other dealers were not offering anything other than free mats and mud flaps

Buying process was time consuming as the Sales Rep was constantly busy with other customers but the manager was very helpful and made sure we were attended to whenever he noticed us waiting. Documentation was very smooth and my loan was approved from SBI within a week.

Delivery was also pretty fast, the whole process of booking till delivery was just one week. Initially the day of delivery was not confirmed. I had decided to take the delivery on Monday 28th Feb. My loan formalities was complete on Friday 25th itself but the Release order from bank was still pending. I was pretty clear to the sales rep that I need to see and drive the vehicle before registration and it was promised as well, however I just happened to visit the showroom on Saturday 26th to show another friend the Figo as he was also interested in buying. To my surprise I was told that my car was ready for registration and is being sent to RTO as we spoke. I had to make them divert the car to showroom before it went to RTO from their yard, Inspected the car, while trying to remember what Team-BHP had to say about Pre delivery checklist, and drove it to RTO along with the showroom driver and finally when I was satisfied I gave the go ahead for registration. The car had run only 57 Kms by the time I saw it, made sure it was a 2011 model (it was a Feb 2011 model) and all else looked good so agreed to register it. So at the end of the day I had a car in my hands and a Sunday to enjoy it.

Now I have already done 1400 Kms in the car within 2 weeks of buying and loving every bit of it. Took Figo to Mysore on sunday and while coming back, driving in the night I realized the headlights were pathetic so decided to spend some more moolah on the car to make it complete.

Here is a list of accessories I added to the car after buying.

1. Upgraded Headlights to Philips 90/100 with Relay and wiring for 1200rs
2. Installed Reverse parking sensor for 3000Rs from the dealer
3. Sunfilm for Windsheild, Garware - 1500Rs
4. Car cleaning kit - all put together 2000Rs
5. Packy Poda mats – Clear, 1200Rs

Will upgrade to alloys in April - after the tax season, waiting for Govt to stop robbing me blind.

So far this car is an absolute thrill to ride with very good VFM. Here is a list of things I like in the car

1. ICE - very good with bluetooth, have not touched my phone while driving at all, syncs very well (need to pair manually for some phone models) and quality of calls and sound is amazing
2. Ride quality - Very smooth, I maintain recomended tyre pressure and fill nitrogen for tyres, I have noticed the difference in smoothness
3. No problems about ground clearance so far - Hit the under body only once on a village hump (Mountain) apart from that nothing so far in City
4. Boot Release on key and Dash - Very handy
5. Space....... lots of it.
6. Pretty powerful AC

This is just a small list of what I personally like, there are of course many other things which has already been mentioned in other reviews

Now for few things that I have concerns about

1.I am getting a FE of about 13KMPL within city with 100% AC on and this did not change much even on Highways, It’s a Diesel so its not hurting me much but still wondering how can it be so low, Waiting for 1st service to see if there is any improvement, Any suggestions to improve is very welcome
2.I don’t like the headlights even after upgrading, guess its just have to live with it
3.The car seems very underpowered when climbing Inclines, I live in an area where there are lot of Ups and Downs and to top that there are humps every 200 mts so I have to practically drive in my first and second gear whenever I am driving in my locality.
4.I really wish the car had a burglar alarm built in or at least an option to purchase it , Currently I did not find any burglar alarm for Figo
5.The power steering is not as light as it is on other cars; initially I developed pain on my right shoulder and neck. After a few trial and errors found a comfortable seating position and now I guess my body is used to it, but did not have this problem in Alto, which is a much smaller car
6.The NVH levels of engine keeps varying, sometimes its too much and sometimes cant even notice it, need to understand what is going on

Overall very happy with the car, waiting to get the first service done. I will update more after the first service. Didn’t have photos handy while writing this, that’s on my to do list as well. Finally entered into the world of cars, wading my way in, wish me luck guys.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please use only 2 smileys per post as per Team-BHP rules. Thanks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 17th March 2011 at 23:09. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience

congrats. just wait for a few 1000kms and the engine would show its strengths
Old 17th March 2011, 23:58   #3
BHPian

Congrats!. 17k cash discount +freebies is very good.Was the headlamp upgrade done at the dealer? Did they not throw the warranty bogey at you?
Old 18th March 2011, 10:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is the best Figo deal that I have come across. Congratulations.
Out here in Pune, free accessories are unheard of, leave alone cash discounts.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:21   #5
BANNED

Well first up Congratulations Charansuki -

I'm planning for a Ford Figo for my Dad, seriously there are no freebies here in Delhi as well, the dealer is asking me 1600 for the wheel covers

Many a Happy Miles !!

Happy Motoring.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Congratulations charansuki and welcome to the figo club!

The report is very neatly put up!
You seem to have got a very good deal with the freebies. May be because cauvery ford has been newly started here in bangalore.

Could you please share some details about the car cleaning kit? and some pics with the parking sensor if possible?

And dont worry about the burglar alarm, the PATS system is very safe, fords are the least stolen vehicles you know!

Wish you lots of happy miles with the figo.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
congrats. just wait for a few 1000kms and the engine would show its strengths
Thank you Gemi. Your review and your subsequent updates was very helpful for me to take decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Congrats!. 17k cash discount +freebies is very good.Was the headlamp upgrade done at the dealer? Did they not throw the warranty bogey at you?
Thank you.Yes they did, After reading lot here I wanted to upgrade the headlights at the time of delivery but they said it will void the warranty but after my mysore trip I just couldnt care less about the electrical warranty as driving on such lamps were even more riskier. I plan to travel a lot to mangalore as my in laws are from there so I couldnt risk another long drive on those headlamps, so I went back to the dealer and asked him to upgrade, the accessories guy from the showroom was not ready to do it there but instead referred me to one of his suppliers, he also made sure I got some discount. The job was done very neatly without any problem. The dealer said he will take care of warranty if something goes wrong. For now I dont have to worry about warranty will wait and see if anything wrong happens in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
This is the best Figo deal that I have come across. Congratulations.
Out here in Pune, free accessories are unheard of, leave alone cash discounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Well first up Congratulations Charansuki -

I'm planning for a Ford Figo for my Dad, seriously there are no freebies here in Delhi as well, the dealer is asking me 1600 for the wheel covers

Many a Happy Miles !!

Happy Motoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Congratulations charansuki and welcome to the figo club!

The report is very neatly put up!
You seem to have got a very good deal with the freebies. May be because cauvery ford has been newly started here in bangalore.
Thanks to all for your comments, I got the best deal because I partnered with my friend and went in for two cars at the same time. What I have found out in bangalore is that all dealers are offering corporate discount of 5500Rs (for salaried ppl) what this discount is that they basically waive off third year warranty costs and essential accessories cost and provide mats, flaps, and wheel cover for free of charge. Apart from these i got few other accessories free of cost. My company have up tied with united india insurance and as a part of that deal I get 40% discount on vehicle insurance but the catch is that i need to buy the insurance from a specific branch. I told the dealer about this since they also had tie ups with UII and they made sure they did all the background work and made me get the Insurance at 40% off from their partner. That was very helpful of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Could you please share some details about the car cleaning kit? and some pics with the parking sensor if possible?

And dont worry about the burglar alarm, the PATS system is very safe, fords are the least stolen vehicles you know!

Wish you lots of happy miles with the figo.
The car cleaning kit consisted of Basic stuff like cloth, sponges, car shampoo and wax, Glass cleaner, dashboard shine and rubbing compound, this is not all part of one product but bought each one separately, was looking for 3M kit but could not find one around near my house.

I will share Pics very soon, may be this weekend

I understand PATS is very safe, I am more worried about some one stealing mirrors, tyres and stupid vandals trying to rip off logos. Do you know off any solutions out there that I can use against these, Thanks for your help
Old 18th March 2011, 21:02   #8
BHPian

congratulations charansuki on the Figo Diesel, its a very good car indeed.

Regarding the low FE, make sure you are driving as per the Car manual, that is, upshifting at 2000 RPM and driving withing appropriate speed ranges as prescribed for each gear.
I bought the Figo in December and its giving me excellent FE both in City and Highway, 17.7-18 kmpl in City and 20+ on highways with 80% AC.

Enjoy the Figo.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:17   #9
BHPian

Congrats! I think you got a great deal. Here in Coimbatore, there is absolutely no discounts on the Figo. Will look forward to read your updates.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for your comments. Finally here are some pics.
@Figo_United: These pics also show my parking sensor and internal display which is stuck to the dash. This shows the distance between the rear bumper and any obstacle, The distance becomes 0.0 when there is one feet difference between the bumper and the obstacle. I found RPS to be very useful and now I dont have to worry about looking back while reversing I just watch out for the sides in the mirrors and works like magic.

I installed this RPS after I scratched my front bumper while reversing, I was trying to do parallel parking in a narrow ramp and while watching the back I scratched the front bumper against the wall. The service guys at cauvery ford did free touch up job but since the scratch was deep it still shows but not from far so no too much to worry there.

As an update, cauvery ford if doing free service for all figo's as a part of the anniversary celebrations. you can check with your respective dealers or approach cauvery for more details.

Have completed 1900 KMS and waiting for first service. My next update will be after the first service. Hoping to see an improvement in FE. One other thing that i noticed is that there is too much reflection from the dashboard(Black) on to the windshield, this irritates me, especially when the sun is shining through the glass, reduces visibility a bit. Any Idea how to reduce it?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4489.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4495.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4491.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4500.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4498.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4504.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-4487.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-4488.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-4490.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4492.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4496.jpg  

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium. Sea Grey. 1500Kms report and initial experience-m_100_4497.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2011, 14:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
@Figo_United: These pics also show my parking sensor and internal display which is stuck to the dash. This shows the distance between the rear bumper and any obstacle, The distance becomes 0.0 when there is one feet difference between the bumper and the obstacle. I found RPS to be very useful and now I dont have to worry about looking back while reversing I just watch out for the sides in the mirrors and works like magic.
Thanks for putting up the pics! looks really cool. But couldnt see a pic with the internal display for the parking sensor, Could you please post it if possible?

Quote:
The service guys at cauvery ford did free touch up job
touch ups have always been free at cauvery ford (Mysore)till now for me

Quote:
As an update, cauvery ford if doing free service for all figo's as a part of the anniversary celebrations. you can check with your respective dealers or approach cauvery for more details.
Its happening at all the ford dealers. I got a call from ford india with the details. And got a post card with details from cauvery ford as well today.
I guess it will benefit those who are nearing their scheduled services.

Quote:
One other thing that i noticed is that there is too much reflection from the dashboard(Black) on to the windshield, this irritates me, especially when the sun is shining through the glass, reduces visibility a bit. Any Idea how to reduce it?
Even I have experienced this often. Hasnt been too much of a trouble. Not sure how to avoid it though
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:02   #12
BHPian

@Figo_United: The second picture shows the display (Above the airbags), Its just a small display to show the distance, I will try to take a pic while the display is on and post it up here but what it essentially does is to show the numerical display of the distance between bumper and obstacle and emits a loud beep as the distance gets closer 1 feet. The beep gets louder as distance decreases, that pretty much it.
Old 25th March 2011, 20:03   #13
BHPian

Had my first experience with Cauvery ford service today, I had to give my car for first service today, With 3 days less than a month of buying the car I have completed 2000 Kms and was planning for a long trip so thought I will give the car for first service soon. Yesterday while parking my car,Reversing, I hit a wall behind. This inspite of having a RPS , I was so excited about the India winning the quarter finals didnt care to look at the beep of the RPS and the boot banged the wall behind me. Luckily no scratches or noticeable dents in the rear but the Boot door would not close properly and was getting jammed. This just proves that natural stupidity is no match for artificial intelligence. I was prompted to me to go to A.S.S and also the anniversary campaign was going on so thought I can take advantage of it.

Walked into cauvery ford at 10:30 AM and was out by 1:00PM (without prior appointment), I thought this was pretty quick considering they were totally swamped with cars for service. The service rep took down basic details about the car and checked the car thoroughly, I complained about the low mileage he made a note of it and gave me a job card for the following
1. Engine Oil change
2. Oil filter change
3. Air filter change

The body shop guy said the boot lock is mis aligned and fixed it free of cost. I thought that was good. The bumper looks slightly bent inwards but to notice it you have to observe really closely, The body shop said they need to remove the bumper and fix it but the service center was full today because of the campaign and it would take couple of hours. I decided not to do it today because it is hardly noticeable and the boot locks as good as new.

The total service cost me 1200rs (after discounts of 300Rs as part of service campaign). Car has become much smoother than before and the gear changes are very smooth compared to before. Not sure about the mileage, I filled up the tank after the service DTE still shows 535 KMS, need to see if I can get more.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:52   #14
BHPian

5000KMS update: : Completed 5000Kms in this car (Two months) with Long drives to Mangalore and Tirupati. Car has been fantastic till now with no serious problems. Couple of small issues with the car

1. Rattling of dashboard was very noticeable on the Hard concrete roads of Mangalore with full Tyre pressure (F:35 R:40, Nitrogen). But disappeared when came back to bangalore so I guess it has something to do with the Hard roads and tyre pressure.

2. Audio system:Rattling of rear door panels when songs with low end bass are played.The issue appears only when songs with very low end (deep) bass are played. and also when on a call on bluetooth system, the quality of my voice is not clear to the other party on the phone, The consistent complaint is that my voice sounds like I am in a closed chamber or very distant. Not sure how to fix these problems. Have given the car to cauvery ford for diagnosing

Scratched and dented the rear left wheel arch of my car in a narrow road and some scratches on the front bumper from two wheelers trying to squeeze in in traffic signals. Getting all these fixed along with aligning my rear bumper (read previous post) for 5K. Will update about the detailed costs and quality of repairs done when I get my car back.

Now for the good news:

1. Mileage has improved drastically after car crossed 3K Kms: Highway mileage of 23 and city mileage of 16. superb, considering bangalore traffic. All figures are for 100% AC and normal diesel. Feels like driving a two wheeler in terms of cost

2. Good city driving : Very easy to drive in city. Never felt the need to take my bike out. I always take my car wherever I go. Its easy to park and drive even in the narrowest roads. Engine seems to have improved after 3K kms, not sure what happened,may be the long drives I have been taking it on has tuned the engine. There is considerable low end power now. I used shift to 1 or 2nd in an incline or very slow moving traffic. Now I move in 3rd most of the time.

Engine has become much smoother now and can hardly feel any noise or vibrations inside. I think its morphing into a petrol engine and I am not complaining.

Overall, A good couple of months with this car. Love driving this machine and 5K Kms in 2 months shows how much I have loved to travel in this car. More updates will follow after I get my car back
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:

2. Audio system:Rattling of rear door panels when songs with low end bass are played.The issue appears only when songs with very low end (deep) bass are played.
This happens in my car also. I guess this might be a general issue with door speakers. let me know if there is anything done to improve.

Quote:
The consistent complaint is that my voice sounds like I am in a closed chamber or very distant.
Has anyone tried calling a paired phone from another phone within the car and speaking?
Try it out, its so funny

Quote:
1. Mileage has improved drastically after car crossed 3K Kms: Highway mileage of 23 and city mileage of 16. superb, considering bangalore traffic. All figures are for 100% AC and normal diesel. Feels like driving a two wheeler in terms of cost
My god, thats some mileage! 23 and 16 with 100% AC sounds as good as it can get! More so in Bangalore!

Quote:
Love driving this machine and 5K Kms in 2 months shows how much I have loved to travel in this car.
Thats the freedom that a diesel car gives you. You end up driving more than what you expected!
Same feeling has led me to complete 20k in 9 months, but when I check my excel sheet on how much money I've burnt on fuel till now, I go

Most Viewed