Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 00:08   #1
BHPian

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline

I. Purchase Decision:
a. Requirements:
1.Required a diesel sedan as I need to travel over 100 Kms a day in urban and semi urban conditions.
2.Required an 'easy to drive' car due to poor lane discipline and frequent 'brake accelerator action' in the suburbs of Chennai
3.Wanted some 'kick' in the engine to bring a smile on my face every now and then
4.Wanted a car that would have some reasonable amount of ‘status’
5. Should be a good chauffer driven car

b. Shortlist:
1.Volkswagen Vento TDI - Won my shortlist
2.Fiat Linea Multijet - Really liked the car but was intimidated by fears of shaky after sales service as posted elsewhere. Apart from that, minor irritants like poor rear headroom, poor fit and finish and relatively lower engine grunt made sure the Linea lost out. Very hard to let go of it though
3.Maruti SX4 DDiS - Really liked the ground clearance, but found the car to be too 'maruti like' for a 10 Lakh Rs price-tag. Somehow found it similar to my swift in many ways
4.Mahindra Scoprio - Liked the rugged looks. The higher models or variants were a little out of my budget. So it lost out.
5.Ford Fiesta, Maruti Dzire, Mahindra Logan, Tata Manza - Did not provide me the 'feel good factor'. All of them felt like entry level sedans, so they all lost out.
6. Used Laura / Cruze: Was discouraged to buy a used car by my family members

c. Review tools:
1.Magazine reviews
2.Official Team BHP Review
3.Asked friends who own Volkswagens both in India and other countries
4.Test drive and close inspection on my own

II. Purchase Process and Experience
a.Purchase Process
1.I had initially booked the “VW Vento Trendline TDI – Candy White” at VW Abra Motors at Anna Nagar, Chennai. I was promised delivery in 3-4 weeks. However, the delivery period on paper was 3 months. I had extended an Advance of Rs 75000
2.After reading reviews the vehicle in various media (Autocar India, Team Bhp etc) I decided to upgrade my booking to “VW Vento highline TDI – Reflex Silver” and subsequently informed VW Abra Motors in writing. They accepted my decision to upgrade
3.After waiting for about 2-2.5 months I started following up the status of my car every 1 or 2 weeks and unfortunately, I wasnt provided any commitment on the delivery date
4.Finally after much following up I was offered to signup and pay the remaining monies for the production of my car in the 2nd week of December 2010. I requested for the delivery of a 2011 model instead.
5.Delivery was finally provided in March 2011. Overall the waiting timeline was about 6 Months

b.Experience
1.Overall the staff was courteous, but I guess supply side issues got the better of them
2.VW Abra does not provide any freebies.
3.VW does not have any extended warranty program so far for vento

III. Delivery and Upgrades
a.Delivery
1.Thanks to lousy inflation, the lending rates from all banks are at the highest in a while. However, I managed to get a good deal from HDFC bank within the given circumstances
2.The salesperson managed the delivery process really well. They patiently explained all the features of the car, all the warranty parameters etc. However, There were some unnecessary formalities like buyer feedback that took an extra 1 hour before I could lay my hands on the car
3. VW Abra ensured that they me us a decent enough registration number (without me having to pay anything for it)

b.Upgrades (and or ICE)
1.VW Kit: Added the rubber floor mats, mud guards and reverse parking sensors from VW
2.Music system: i plan to order a Pioneer P3300 BT double din system. I will be mating that to a standard 2 channel amp, a good set of front component speakers and mid-range ovals in the rear
3.Tyres: Upgraded from the standard 180/60 R15 apollo tyres to Pirelli P7 205/55 R15. Apollo also has a 205/55 R15 set which you can upgrade on a budget. Although, the price difference between the Apollo and Pirelli isn’t more than 500-600 Rs a tyre.
4. Other: Tints

IV. The car
a.Interiors
1.Contrary to what most folks have to say, I think the interiors are rather cliche. They may look upmarket, but I would prefer the carbon black and silver combo that is offered on Polo’s abroad. Also, the beige, or cream color seats and plastic parts should get dirty easily. I recommend that every one buy one of those car vaccum cleaners available in tata croma like i did
2.Space is better than ok, however people sitting behind tall folks in the front will still be cramped.
3.Not many will have the chance of using the rear positioned passenger seat sliding lever
4.Seats are comfortable overall. Rear seat is very comfortable except in the middle
5.Wish the windows came with sun curtains like in the linea
6.Front glove compartment is not lockable
7.The MFI display in the Indian polo is a basic variant. All Polo’s abroad have a jetta like ‘Highline’ MFI display option which has a white and black display. Unsure, but i heard that the highline display is a pre-requisite for installing the higher end touchscreen systems of VW (needs to be confirmed)
8.The desmodronic key is nice to look, but unlike in the Passat, u still have to flick a key out of the desmodronic setup and crank the ignition. There is no start stop button like mechanism. Users need to keep the boot open release pressed for a seconds to have the boot released. The open and close buttons on the key will trigger the power windows if pressed long enough
9. The standard RCD030 system is way off target as far as current buyer expectations are concerned. The absence of USB / AUX and track display is really a no-no. Only saving grace is that the look of the system goes well with the dash. Given the volumes on tap in the Vento/City class, the RCD/RNS 510 system could have been a game chager and de hyphenated the vento from the city.
11. VW charges extra for door sills and side strips
12. Red diode for burglar alarm on the drivers door has a poor fit
13. Missing useful features: Flow control for rear ac vent, charging point for the rear, rear sun curtains
14. Reverse parking sensor is not very accurate. Feel that it is more useful in developed countries. For us, the rear parking camera is a better deal. Delivery staff recommended that the parking sensors should not be painted in order to increase their accuracy.
15. HVAC system is really cool. Love the way the AC cranks up gradually and how it is fairly silent too. I like the auto mode
16. Interior lighting is very nice. Bright enough to let you read while the car is moving. The interior lighting turns on when u remove the key from ignition and shuts down when you lock the doors. Cool.

b.Exterior
1.No real problem here, the boot is neatly integrated. The car has poise. The chrome strips look very good
2. Really like the silver color. Had a few scratches already and they dont show at all.
3. The only one grouse is that that the optional rubber strips on the side are the stick on option and are not riveted to the metal sheet of the door. These rubber strips could fall off with exposure to moisture

c.Driving (Not self driven , so only input as a passenger here)
Great. The car has some serious acceleration. Overtaking is no great challenge at all. It likes to leap forward from the word go so controlling it can be hassle. It definitely sounds like a diesel but it doesn't vibrate like one.

d.On the Road (Not self driven , so only input as a passenger here)
As it is designed for moderate driving, everyone will like it in urban conditions. A tyre upgrade helps improve the road grip and comfort but, you are not really gonna need the extra boots on unless you travel on highways like i do. Car does not like cornering aggressively and i doubt it will encourage a purist enthusiast to have too much fun. Its extremely pliant on tarmac, however on dirt roads, it bobs somewhat. Dirt Roads composure should have better been planned out in the suspension package

V. Frequently Asked Questions

1. Highway Performance (Not self driven , so only input as a passenger here)
1. Highway performance of the car will definitely bring a smile to anyones face. It accelerates very willingly, even in 4th and 5 gear. The driver can overtake at will (unlike in smaller engined cars where planning is required when u have a full load of luggage and people).
2. Seat fatigue is minimal. You dont feel tired or your muscles dont ache even if your seated for a few hours together
3. The headlamps and fog lights give a very decent flood illumination of the road. The lit up display console looks very nice with its white backlighting.
4. Horn is loud. So all the irritating people on the highway can be given an earful at will.
5. The car manages the rough patch verywell. Thanks to my upgraded tyres, i think the overall dampening of the bumps by the car is comparable to more expensive cars.
2 Fuel efficiency: I am getting an average efficiency of 14 Kpl in the city within the first 1000 km itself. Very good and serves the purpose of it being a diesel very well. I would think that the FE will only increase with time.

3. Any fresh discoveries?
1. The underbody sheet metal has indents to point out where the jack should be placed in case of a flat
2. Shopping hooks in the b pillar are useful
3. The desmodronic key has some cool features. If you press the open and shut buttons for a little longer - they can trigger the power windows system to go up and down
4. How is the car after the first 1000 Km of ownership?
1. FE has definitely improved by 5-10%
2. Surprisingly, there is a marked difference in FE when you use branded diesels like XTRA premium
VI. Verdict:

1.Would I recommend you to buy it: yes
2.Should you buy it if you are an enthusiast: No. Just stick to the petrol ANHC. Buy Vento if you want that extra highway comfort and if having a diesel car is important. I know City petrol and Vento Diesel not a like for like comparison (especially since i havent self driven) , but as I dont know much about the petrol vento, i can point out anything about it.

3.List of things you will like
1.Up market feel in an overall sense
2.Hi power diesel engine
3.Solid Build
4.Great chauffer driven car
5.Great gearbox
6.Good drivers seat and decent aids like the MFI, Steeing with tilt and reach, heigh adjustable seat
7.Brand
8.Bright interior lights
4.List of things you wont like:
1. Music system
2. Expensive-for-what-you-get accessories
3.The beige and chocolate brown color scheme is too grown up
4. Lack of willingness of the dealer to assist you with putting your own ice systems. You have to put what is available on the VW approved rack
5. No extended warranty scheme so far
6. Audio controls on the steering dont exist
7. Dirt road composure should improve and so should ground clearance by another 10-20 mm
Attached Thumbnails
Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0001.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0003.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0002.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0005.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0007.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0030.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0006.jpg  

Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dsc_0032.jpg  

Last edited by acidkill : 20th April 2011 at 00:40.
acidkill is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 00:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Acid Test: Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline

As i wrote in mailmaldi's thread, it’s raining Vento's on T-BHP. Congratulations on your new purchase. VW Vento is a clear winner when it comes to diesel option at that competitive price. My only concern is that how will they handle after sales service and what will be the cost of servicing. Please do post some pictures of your car as ownership report is never complete without the ride's snaps. Good luck and drive safe
Old 25th March 2011, 01:23   #3
BHPian

Very well written report, kudos to you for pointing out the negatives in an unbiased way!

And yes congrats on the buy, BTW where are the pics?

Last edited by Furebo : 25th March 2011 at 01:25.
Old 25th March 2011, 02:20   #4
BHPian

Congratulation on your Vento

Well narrated post and thanks for the time you have spent on making it

6 months wait time is too high!! Was there any dealer interest given for your down payment??

Please post your service and ownership experience

Lastly, justify this thread with some pictures.
Old 25th March 2011, 02:56   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the best current mid size diesel sedan! I am still wondering on your comment that the car leaps when you release the clutch due to the amount of power on tap! I would think a diesel does not really come to life till its turbo kicks in , which is 1500 RPM onwards in the vento. So the take off from 1000 to 1500 RPM should be smooth or am i missing a trick here?
Old 25th March 2011, 06:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new wheels, do post some pics of your new ride.
I drove a Vento TDI for more than 200 kms during the last weekend. Brilliant car, excellent handling and enough power to cruise in triple digits all day.
Keep updating this thread regularly.

Last edited by speedmiester : 25th March 2011 at 06:48.
Old 25th March 2011, 06:54   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase. Well written report, unbiased, brings out few intriguing aspects of the car. Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:25   #8
BHPian

Hey Acidkill

Congrats on your new purchase.

I must say damn good review. You have pin pointed the precise items that have made me not purchase this vehicle.

Having lived in the UK, for over 5 years, I have owned a Jetta (Bora) for over 3 years. I had the 1.9 TDI (same engine as octavia) but with 130 bhp and a 6 speed manual.

The VW ownership experience is amazing and the reliability of the car is simply awesome.

But just before my move back to India I sold the car and had hired the new polo for the last 2 weeks of my stay. I got the 1.6 TDI which is sold here only in the Vento. I really liked the car and was keen to get it here in India.

But to my horror, the Vento is just not the same what we are sold here

The build quality is just not VW. Although people have been really appreciating the car a lot on forums and magazines alike, I find it tinny. Everything from the central arm rest to the quality of the knobs is just a big let down. Plus the breaking point of this deal is that the Vento comes at over 11L here in Hyd.

Once again, congrats on your purchase. Do you mind sharing how much the car costed you (on-road)

Please do post some pictures with all the accessories/ mods once they are in that is.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on owning , currently the most sought Sedan , and as stated its raining Ventos in T-bhp.
Awaiting pics of your car.
Cheers!
Old 25th March 2011, 09:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Loved your crisp and precise review which had no hint of the usual, inevitable new car praising syndrome so often seen here. The lack of an extended warranty along with an unknown after sales service and the more than usual german car maintenace needed is what I am sure is keeping a lot of thinking car lovers away from the Vento so far.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:57   #11
BHPian

Excellent review, acidkill. You have pointed out the positives and negatives in a very unbiased manner.

Wish you a safe and happy ride. Do post pics of your car.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2011 at 19:14.
evilshantanu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th March 2011, 15:34   #13
BHPian

First of all congrats Acidkill for your newly purchased Vento !!
Do post the pics of your car.
Are you planning any upgrade as well? If you come around something good then also let me know since i have also acquired vento recently

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...eriance-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Hey Acidkill
Thats true but its the difference b/w US/Europe market standard and in india.
The reason everyone appreciating vento is because its overall a very good package with good interior quality you can buy @ lower side of 10L in India
Old 26th March 2011, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
As i wrote in mailmaldi's thread, it’s raining Vento's on T-BHP. Congratulations on your new purchase. VW Vento is a clear winner when it comes to diesel option at that competitive price. My only concern is that how will they handle after sales service and what will be the cost of servicing.
Just to point out, there are no free services for the vento. You have to directly go for your first service after completing 15000 Kms. At this point, i would think that the cost of serving the vento should be on par with the Fabia, which should be higher than the average suzuki or hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Very well written report, kudos to you for pointing out the negatives in an unbiased way!

And yes congrats on the buy, BTW where are the pics?
Saving that for a lazy sunday. Plus i will share some observations which have not been brought out so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congratulation on your Vento

Well narrated post and thanks for the time you have spent on making it

6 months wait time is too high!! Was there any dealer interest given for your down payment??
Its quite an irony that you should ask that! I am in finance business, and i did calculate the loss of interest, but sadly - no interest paid out to me. No freebies either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Hey Acidkill

The build quality is just not VW. Although people have been really appreciating the car a lot on forums and magazines alike, I find it tinny. Everything from the central arm rest to the quality of the knobs is just a big let down. Plus the breaking point of this deal is that the Vento comes at over 11L here in Hyd.
Its not unique to india or to VW. I think all cars in general will get Lighter. There is already evidence in Skoda's example - Look at the difference in weightiness between the Octavia and Laura. I guess all these cars will are getting lighter to enhance fuel efficiency and offset increased raw material costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Loved your crisp and precise review which had no hint of the usual, inevitable new car praising syndrome so often seen here. The lack of an extended warranty along with an unknown after sales service and the more than usual german car maintenace needed is what I am sure is keeping a lot of thinking car lovers away from the Vento so far.
VW is too big to fail. go ahead and buy it. I am sure they are looking at the indian market pretty seriously given that they have bought over a stake in suzuki as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
First of all congrats Acidkill for your newly purchased Vento !!
Do post the pics of your car.
Are you planning any upgrade as well? If you come around something good then also let me know since i have also acquired vento recently
1.VW Kit: Added the rubber floor mats, mud guards and reverse parking sensors from VW
2.Music system: i plan to order a Pioneer P3300 BT double din system. I will be mating that to a standard 2 channel amp, a good set of front component speakers and mid-range ovals in the rear
3.Tyres: Upgraded from the standard 180/60 R15 apollo tyres to Pirelli P7 205/55 R15. Apollo also has a 205/55 R15 set which you can upgrade on a budget. Although, the price difference between the Apollo and Pirelli isn’t more than 500-600 Rs a tyre.
4. Other: Tints

Last edited by acidkill : 18th April 2011 at 23:18.
Old 27th March 2011, 16:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car.

Few things I would like to contradict.
Handling is nothing like you described. I feel I handled just fine. Body roll isnt much of an issue. 185/60 stock tyres provides sufficient grip. Although with a 205/55 Michillin / Yokohoma it will be even better. Comparing handling of Vento with Dzire is just insane.

Another point Honda city is no way an enthusiast's car. It does hot have the high speed composure. It has plenty of body roll. And to add to the insult steering is lifeless. It runs on even thinner tyres.

I do agree Vento could do well with a HPS but the suspension setup is perfect. You can always have stiffer suspension, but that will take a toll on the ride and finally result into rattles (like Swift and Dzire).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks