Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:59   #16
BHPian

i have achieved around 17/k on the highway on my octavia, it is one of the earliest ones (the time when they were really hard pressed for sales) and delivery for the higher end octavia with two tone ineteriors/ climate control/alloys was 1 month.
Old 30th January 2006, 15:04   #17
BHPian

[quote=BUSA]I asked the Manager about the FE he said 18?? Now thats something which is impossible. If you drive a car without AC and without acclerating its a different thing together. After the test drive of 13 Kms, we checked the onboard computer and the pics say it all.
You also mean to say the Onboard Computer is just an eyewash??
I love the Octy but we have to live in the real world, not on paper, it may give 15 on paper but on the road i doubt it!

Sorry to say but my L& K gives me 18-19 kmpl.
Old 30th January 2006, 15:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

The reading on the onboard comp is not of the overall consumption it is for a certain period of time which keeps on changing depending on how you are driving it. To check the actual consumtion you'd still have to use your old school method - check kms done from one full tank to the next. I normally get 14 in heavy city traffic with ac. Highway drives ive got upto 20 on cruising mode which drops down to 18 with long bursts of 150kph+ driving.
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say BUSA but surprizingly this test drive of yours had everything go wrong with a Car which has made it's reputation from scratch entirely on it;s product strength alone!
Old 3rd February 2006, 06:23   #20
BHPian

skoda

hey guys according to me skoda is the best car in its class.it was voted best in handling among likes of accord and all.see its build,average,etc.many off my frds have skoda,none of them have any complaints .well me planing to go for l& k soon.its a rocking car.well i own a indigo lx for now.well gonna keep the indigo for work and skoda for the nights.
Old 3rd February 2006, 06:26   #21
BHPian

hey west hows the l&k
Old 20th April 2006, 04:28   #22
BHPian

Good Pic's and excellent write up.
Agree that it's over priced...
Old 20th April 2006, 06:42   #23
BHPian

good report and pics....
but the handling of optra being better than the skoda...???//
well i've driven both cars back to back...the squishy optra's nowhere close to the skoda....and im talkin bout the tdi..the rs is on a diff plane alltogether...
Old 20th April 2006, 09:02   #24
BHPian

Hi Busa,
Your blatantly biased towards Optra. Everyone here agrees Optra is a good car. But Skoda is many ways better than Optra.

Mileage - Octavia will easily give 12 with AC in city. [Its not a good idea to measure fuel efficiency on a short trip.If you understand software & algorithms a bit you can easily conclude how tough to give the fuel efficiency figures with the less inputs]
Handling - ABS ..something I could not comment on. Soon I would able to do it. Because my uncle has booked L &K and take delivery very shortly.

Luxuary - Laura is miles ahead of Optra (also in price ;-) ).

Spare part cost: Optra spare parts are also costly. More over GM days are counted :-(
Old 20th April 2006, 11:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

, He is biased towards optra and GM but he is true. Nothing beats optra in luxury. We had it too and know it its the best buy under 10 lacs.

Though skodas r overpriced and FE is overhyped. I mean how come a car which is 1400 CC and 68 PS (you know what i am talking about) gives 13.4 in city with ac how come a car 1900 CC and 100+ ps gives the same avg or better avg according to magazines / bhpians. I mean how ?

NO doubt skoda is good car in build quality, engine, transmission etc but its not good in luzury at all. FE is too mcuh overhyped. If sm1 states that skoda gives 15 - 16 in city in chandigarh i can agree as traffic conditions are totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
Hi Busa,
Your blatantly biased towards Optra. Everyone here agrees Optra is a good car. But Skoda is many ways better than Optra.

Mileage - Octavia will easily give 12 with AC in city. [Its not a good idea to measure fuel efficiency on a short trip.If you understand software & algorithms a bit you can easily conclude how tough to give the fuel efficiency figures with the less inputs]
Handling - ABS ..something I could not comment on. Soon I would able to do it. Because my uncle has booked L &K and take delivery very shortly.

Luxuary - Laura is miles ahead of Optra (also in price ;-) ).

Spare part cost: Optra spare parts are also costly. More over GM days are counted :-(
Old 20th April 2006, 12:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

There is a writeup comparaing various cars in this months Overdrive..and the Octavia was the winner. The cars included the Lancer Cedia, Optra, Elantra, Corolla and some other car i guess.

Note that the Octavia was a 1.8Turbo
Old 29th March 2007, 18:04   #27
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
, He is biased towards optra and GM but he is true. Nothing beats optra in luxury. We had it too and know it its the best buy under 10 lacs.

Though skodas r overpriced and FE is overhyped. I mean how come a car which is 1400 CC and 68 PS (you know what i am talking about) gives 13.4 in city with ac how come a car 1900 CC and 100+ ps gives the same avg or better avg according to magazines / bhpians. I mean how ?

That is the difference engine technology brings in.Due to better design, quality machining and precision levels these top-tier car makers are able to make efficent engine that will take the '1400CC engine manufacturer' really long time to catch up.
We have a great Indian example in TCIC Safari giving lesser levels of fuel efficency compared to DICOR Safari, inspite of latter being of higher engine displacement and power output.
Old 29th March 2007, 19:01   #28
BHPian

Guys!!!!

I am pretty impressed abt octy's mileage. It is consistently giving me close to 15 kmpl in city conditions with AC on. Infact when I refilled the tank yesterday at King circle pump. I had calculated the milage of 16+ kmpl. It travelled 773 kms and consumed 48 litres of diesel... Infact in our tour to Mangalore Bangalore etc where we actually covered 3100 kms in 4 days.. car was driven consistntly above 130 kmph.. It still managed to return an average of closed to 15 kmpl....

Cheers
Old 30th March 2007, 15:31   #29
BHPian

my octavia has been giving me consistently an average of 15 km/l with ac on in city driving conditions.Infact it used to give me 16-17 km/l before i got petes tuning box fitted.so skoda's mileage is not at all overhyped........and most of the people i know in delhi who own skoda are getting around the same mileage in the city and around 18 km/l on the highway.
Old 1st April 2007, 19:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Busa no offense , but I think you got manything wrong out there.
  • I agree the Optra is a good handler but you forgot to mentions optra's truck like gearshift
  • Skoda's build quality is not-at-all overhyped
  • Mileage atleast what I got was around 15 avg which includes occasional burst to around 140+
  • L&K with all round disc brakes well being aided with ABS
  • Awesome music system
  • Awesome seats
I feel the only two negative points are
1.Rear legroom and Shoulder room
2.Expensive spares

And I would agree that its a bit.....I mean wee a bit overpriced, 12.5 would have been a great price but again not many european car are people's car for us asians , if we are wanting similar quality .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks