Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2006, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI LnK, Ripped

It all started off when my bro was wondering, how many of the TDIs were racing with him, it was diffcult to beat them. They literally used to fly at the signals and its needed all of 4000RPM + to overtake them sometimes.
So called up the Skoda dealer and asked him to send a 1.9 TDI L n K.

So firstly we tried to get ourself familar with the car. Sat in it. The Steering was a bit of a problem. It touched the leg and if you adjust it properly then there is no room at the rear. Even Hammod wont fit there, neither could I.
Half the features werenot working on the car. Checked out the music system, 4 speakers unit with tweeters. It was good but not as good as a Optras.
Got down to driving it. First speedbreaker made it jump and it flew, the Manager got a bit pissed off, but then we told him Buddy its a car for test drive and we test drive the way we like it, you should have confidence in you car.

Now the different parameters:-
Ride : - Is good, and i would rate it high on its riding characters.

Braking : Totally dissapoints, the brakes were not at all good and the Gooyear Eagle NCT 3 didnot help at all, ABS was working or not that was a riddle in itself, on gradual braking as well it was locking up and skidding. No where close to the Optra. He(Sales Guy) said that on braking on road due to the mud the car skids. Later on we gave him a test drive in our car and on standing on the brakes at 160, no drama, no lock. He totally shut up.

Handling : Was good again if you compare it to the Corolla , Elantra, but not as good as the RS(Maybe since it rides on bigger wheels and also wider) My bro found the Handling of the Optra better(it too has wider rubber then the L n K)

Build Quality : I have heard the Octy is build to last. But failed to impress. The car was vibrating and the rear doors were looking as if they will leave way. Also doors did shut with a loud thunk which is good.

Fuel Efficency : Totally Overhyped. 75% of normal driving and 25% of ripping all done by my bro. The Average achieved after driving 13kms was a mere 9.6km/L, under same driving conditions RS/Optra would easily return 8, on a petrol engine with more power. So why would i hear the diesel noise and vibrations for mere 2 kmpl more???

Space : Car is not spacious. Neither as spacious as an Corolla/Optra for that matter. Infact the sales guy himself admitted that Optra is in a league of its own when it comes to comfort. Dicky space is ample but compromised in the interior. Interiors dont look sleek.

Now the best part : Performance : Performance is totally flawless. Superb crisp power delivery and ample torque is a bonus. Car shouts like crazy when you rev her and thats something which may appeal to many but i am not one of them.. after having driving a car with TNRS.

Service Costs : Appear Quite heavy compared to the competition. Diesel saving - Service cost = No gain but loss. I also heard karthiks octy fuel pump replacement to be 1.8L??

Likes - Looks, Engine, Performance, Brand Name, Features(Loaded to the max, though half wont work)
Dislikes - Braking, Overpriced(at 15.3L OTR, Mumbai), Space ( Not good for tall drivers)

Verdict - Good but not as good as the Optra if you compare it overall, leaving the performance out as thats another story for another day. The Octy is good no doubt( i would love to have one in RS trim) but its not the best and is highly overhyped

P.S Pics taken by DC
Note of Caution : This is my personal view and may differ from yours.

Last edited by BUSA : 15th January 2006 at 13:42.
Old 15th January 2006, 17:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good review...BTW the pic shows 9.6 l / 100 km which is more like 10.4 kmpl! Is this the fig you are referring to when you say 9.6 km/l.
Octavia is one overpriced vehicle...mostly available in Czech for as much as 30% lesser price..dont kno why they have overpriced it here
Old 15th January 2006, 17:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Octavia is one overpriced vehicle...mostly available in Czech for as much as 30% lesser price..dont kno why they have overpriced it here
Lack of localisation of parts !

The other good cars that suffer are Superb, Terracan, Tucson, Nissan X-trail to list a few.
Old 15th January 2006, 20:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah sorry about the miscalculation, head went bonkers after the test drive and then the Palio 1.6.

Dipen add Camry and Corolla to the list too.
Old 15th January 2006, 21:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Features(Loaded to the max, though half wont work)
Thats a presumetive statement.

Quote:
Much as we would like the auto market to be the same globally, it isn't. Skoda maybe a people's carmaker in Europe but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same all over the world in every country. By the way, the Camry V6 starts of at about Rs.12 lacs here in Canada. Indians pay Rs. 20lakhs for a 4 cylinder. The difference is not entirely due to non-localisation of parts. Imagine the heavy premium the company charges for it's Toyota logo. Taxes, duties, customs all have a bearing on the price of a product. Besides, a people's car maker in one country may end up with a luxury car maker image in another country. Thanks to the brilliant TDi and the government's policy of charging a premium for Petrol because they still think cars are a rich man's toy, Skoda can charge a premium for it's brilliant engine. I don't think Skoda is smart enough to fool 500-700 buyers every month.
Old 15th January 2006, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't just rely on that onboard computer. Its not accurate at all.

No offence but, how did u get the FE figures after just a testdrive?? There are a lotta Skoda's that give atleast 15+kmpl.
Old 15th January 2006, 22:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

I asked the Manager about the FE he said 18?? Now thats something which is impossible. If you drive a car without AC and without acclerating its a different thing together. After the test drive of 13 Kms, we checked the onboard computer and the pics say it all.
You also mean to say the Onboard Computer is just an eyewash??
I love the Octy but we have to live in the real world, not on paper, it may give 15 on paper but on the road i doubt it!

Quote:
I don't think Skoda is smart enough to fool 500-700 buyers every month
Buddy you know the indians, anything which is fuel efficient sells, and just for the record, the Corolla sells the most in this segment followed by the Optra and then the octy at 500 units, also not all Skoda Octavias are TDi. Also e.g is Indica/800 is the best seller in India, it sells most because of its FE and price, but that doesnot mean they are the best cars. I am not saying Octy is not a good car but its not the best is my point.

Last edited by BUSA : 15th January 2006 at 22:42.
Old 16th January 2006, 01:16   #8
BHPian

hey BUSA, nice review mite!

well, sorry to see u have had a semi-nonfunctional car for ur testdrive, while u should have got the best they got!

About the Mileage, well, i myself dont believe that the OCtavia is capable of anything more than say, 11-11.5kmpl with AC on in CITY traffic, but i do hear many ppl saying 13,14,15 in city, and on highways 16,17,18!!! well, this i will believe only when i test that out myself, till then, i will always have the doubt that the person aint checking properly.

i am being quoted 13-14 KMPL with AC on and CITY driving, for the Laura, well, i just dont belive any of that, i believe it will give around 9kmpl, as for the Auto box in it. but then, the more , always the better, i am expecting it to give me only 9, and i will be very happy if it does give me 9kmpl atleast!

Now that Skoda is making its World wide spares in Aurangabad factory, why are the sparepart prices still so very high? or have they come down?
Old 16th January 2006, 03:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
About the Mileage, well, i myself dont believe that the OCtavia is capable of anything more than say, 11-11.5kmpl with AC on in CITY traffic,
Octavia easily gives you the mileage of 13 -13.5 kmpl in the city with AC on ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
Now that Skoda is making its World wide spares in Aurangabad factory, why are the sparepart prices still so very high? or have they come down?
Who told you this buddy ? The local content in the Octavia is not more than 35% .. Most of the parts are still being importe ..

Last edited by Beemer : 16th January 2006 at 03:47.
Old 16th January 2006, 13:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Insane, the dealer went to such an extent that he quoted the Laura to give 18 kmpl on highways and 15 in City. I asked him how is that possible he said PD and DSG.

Anywayz say the Octy gives 13-14 why did the on board computer show the figure of 10.4??
Old 16th January 2006, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Beemer: i remember reading somewhere on Skoda's website that now the World Spareparts manufacturing plant is in Aurangabad for them. or maybe they meant the will now start manufacturing there in the near future???

BUSA: yea man, same thing here, to me too they saying the same reasons for the greater mileage in Laura!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 16th January 2006 at 13:12.
Old 16th January 2006, 18:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

I only been in an Octy on the passenger side, and seen it in motion on highways all too often. I'd actually been dreaming of buying a used - but the maintenance/spares angle scares me. The onboard comp may also disagree with your calculations cause petrol pumps are not all that honest when u fill up. I've had 40+ litres filled into my City when the needle was above E by a fair margin - and at E theres almost 8 litres left in there. At least 2/3 litres extra!
Old 16th January 2006, 21:43   #13
BHPian

hey busa nice review but man u got to be a lil soft here.. that car is a test drive one .... there have been lik atleast 200 people driven it worse then you did .. u knw like jumpimg on breakers and pot holes ... vibrations and the crankiness in the car is a bit obvious
other thing not the best way to check the fe after a short trip ... i got 2 of them, my dads got 18+ on his one dude like fe is not overhyped at all.
i agree with you for lack of space in the car and brakes. the diesel versions arent the best in brakes coz they use drums with discs u knw...
Old 16th January 2006, 22:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan
hey busa nice review but man u got to be a lil soft here.. that car is a test drive one .... there have been lik atleast 200 people driven it worse then you did .. u knw like jumpimg on breakers and pot holes ... vibrations and the crankiness in the car is a bit obvious
other thing not the best way to check the fe after a short trip ... i got 2 of them, my dads got 18+ on his one dude like fe is not overhyped at all.
i agree with you for lack of space in the car and brakes. the diesel versions arent the best in brakes coz they use drums with discs u knw...
Buddy this car had been drivien 10K, have had a test drive of a 14K Corolla ( was worst) and a 22K Optra, felt superb. The build quality of an Optra seems better, but FE is pathetic compared to the overhyped Octy FE!

Body was vibrating genearlly all the time and not only on the breakers.

p.s Only OD people can get 18km/L fe. OD guys will run after you if you get 18
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:26   #15
BHPian

Busa,
I have an octavia and the fuel efficiency is not at all hyped. My car has done abt 1200 kms so far.2 days back at abt 11 pm i drove from andheri east to west.There was some traffic on the road and hence i couldnt zip but i did manage to go quite fast and also had to drive in 2nd and 3rd for quite a bit in narrow roads.When i reached home the odo showed 6.8 ltrs/100 kms.That works out to almost 15kms/ltr and that too with the ac on.I couldnt believe it too and since the time i have got the car i am getting an average of over 12.5 km/Ltr.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks