Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Re: My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel

@ kgkaran, Congrats! Join the Club! I have the DSG and the Laura grows on my every day! I have NHC and ANHC! But after a got the Laura, i don't like the Honda's any more!

@Snowman79 Go for the DSG, there is nothing like it!
Old 15th April 2011, 18:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
I'll answer this the other way around... I'll tell you what the Ambiente DOESN'T come with:
- 16 inch alloys
- Dual zone automatic climate control
- Leather seats
- Remote closing ORVMs
- Heated seats

Everything else is there in the Ambiente compared to the Elegance.
In my personal view, none of the above features (or even all of them together) justify a 2 lakh rupees price difference. I will happily put leather seats separately and live without the alloys. The remote closing ORVMs are more of a nuisance as parking agents etc try to shut them with their hands ending up breaking them in the process - end result - Skoda gets hammered in public opinion forums for high spare costs etc. :-)

The Ambiente is priced same as the Cruze LT (manual). My advice - don't go for the Cruze maual - the clutch has a STRONG kickback and it will make your let leg ache by the time you are through with a drive.

In the AT division, I have heard endless GOOD reviews of the DSG compared to the Cruze AT.

First congrats on the new car. The only point I would tend to disagree is on the Alloys.
So if one just wants upgrade that part alone, would Skoda permit it? Would they buy back the stock tyres?

What was the over all OTR price? (Sorry if you already posted, I failed to notice it).

How was the dealership experience?

EDIT: I just checked on site. 15 inch Alloy versus 16 inch Alloy. (I thought Alloy versus no Alloy).

And now the related question: How much difference would it make betweeb the two? Can someone answer?

Last edited by ampere : 15th April 2011 at 18:25.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy! Yes, i TD-ed anAT because that is the only TD vehicle they had. However, I also insisted on TDing the MT as I refused to purchase without a TD. So they pulled out a MT from unsold cars and let me do a TD. In fact that is the very piece that I have purchased. :-)
I think you have forgotten the customary photo uploads, I'm in the process of a Ambiente deal to replace my Linea and the pics will definitely act as an appetizer.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
So if one just wants upgrade that part alone, would Skoda permit it? Would they buy back the stock tyres?
when i was purchasing my laura the dealer proposed that if i go for the Ambient version they could get me the alloys which are there on the elegance(due to waiting period for the desired color in elegance),But then i bought elegance only as i wanted this variant only from the beginning(but yes in a different color).
Old 16th April 2011, 16:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What was the over all OTR price? (Sorry if you already posted, I failed to notice it).

How was the dealership experience?

EDIT: I just checked on site. 15 inch Alloy versus 16 inch Alloy. (I thought Alloy versus no Alloy).

And now the related question: How much difference would it make betweeb the two? Can someone answer?
Buddy, sorry for the delayed response. Had been out of station for a few days... and no it wasn't the first long highway drive :-).

You are right... it is a 15 versus 16 inch alloy difference. And I am personally happier with the 15 inch alloys... reason being the the Pyxis (I think that's what they call it) alloys of the Ambiente are much much prettier than those in the Elegence... I like the car better externally as an Ambiente.

Dealership experience... Nawab Motors in Noida - amazing experience. Everytime I spoke to them or interacted with them, got a very pleasant feeling... they clearly took pains to ensure I liked them and was at home in the dealership ... took all the time needed to answer my queries (and I had a LOT)... one positive is that they knew I was deciding between the Laura and the Cruze... but they never bad mouthed the Cruze... they just tried to talk about why the Laura was better instead of saying "Cruze mein to ye bhi nahi hai" etc. I thought that was quite positive... the Chevy dealer on the other hand was all bad words for the Laura :-)

OTR: Approx Rs 14.8 lakh.. got an overall discount of approx. Rs 95000... some of this being insurance that I got done myself at a large discount, some on corporate discount... and rest given by the Nawab motors guys... and they added a teflon coating and anti rust as well...
Old 16th April 2011, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I think you have forgotten the customary photo uploads, I'm in the process of a Ambiente deal to replace my Linea and the pics will definitely act as an appetizer.
Sorry Luky I had been a bit busy for a while... pics will be here by tomorrow at MAX. :-). Looking forward myself to posting them...
Old 16th April 2011, 18:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OTR: Approx Rs 14.8 lakh.. got an overall discount of approx. Rs 95000... some of this being insurance that I got done myself at a large discount, some on corporate discount... and rest given by the Nawab motors guys... and they added a teflon coating and anti rust as well...
14.8 OTR seems like a very good deal. 95K discount is amazing!!
What all does it include? Insurance you already mentioned. Any this else?

Is this discount available in general, or this was something specific which you could manage.

Laura is such an aspirational brand and a product, its just that one cant think without it and at the same time starts playing devil's advocate!

Congrats once again.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:41   #23
BHPian

Here come the pics as promised :-)
Not too many, but hopefully show the car well.

And yes I got the silver alloy finish replaced with a wooden finish from the dealer. Cost me an extra 11.5K, but I feel it was totally worth it. The dealer did the job extremely well... everything is very well fit and while the wooden finish is lighter than that on the Elegence or the L&K, but it looks awesome as per me... and the quality of material used is top notch...
Attached Thumbnails
My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700111.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700112.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700106.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700108.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700109.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700110.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700113.jpg  

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel-img2011041700114.jpg  

Last edited by kgkaran : 18th April 2011 at 16:04. Reason: Missed out one detail with regard to the wooden finish in the Ambiente which is not standard
kgkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 13:58   #24
BHPian

My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel - EDIT 1500+ km

Update: 1600+ kilometres driven:

What has been the overall experience with the car?
It's like a flying hawk - basically you see them gliding in the air - smoothest possible movement, without ruffling a feather and cruising along fearlessly... that is the Laura in my 1600 kilometre driving experience.

Any troubles? Yes, the music system not having a remote control or steering controls on the Ambiente is now quite obvious as I need to stretch my hand (yes, that may mean that I am spoilt), but its a small irritant.

What is going well?
- Love the fact that there is no sound whatsoever. You get into a Tata/Maruti diesel and there is an obvious clatter of the engine, but this one is almost as smooth as a petrol. Each and every person who sat in my car commented on this
- Stability is too god. Even if I take a sharpish turn at 80+km/h the people in the car do not sway from one side to another and the car retains its position on the road without moving even a millimetre... just awesome!!
- Music system - just amazing sound with 4 speakers and 4 tweeters... very very nice
- Comfort - the seats are designed to sit in and relax... so sometimes I feel I should have gone in for the DSG... but that's only when I am real lazy... otherwise I prefer my manual
- Mileage - this is the best part. Have not taken it for a spin on a long drive yet, but in the city, it is giving me - a whopping 15 km/litre!!!

Most of the other stuff I had mentioned in my initial ownership review. Am now thinking of getting leather seat covers for the car as everytime my little 2.5 year old steps on the seats with her shoes, I see the marks and my heart skips a beat :-). Any recommendations on good places to get those in Delhi/Noida?

Will also welcome suggestions on good nick nacks to definitely have on a Laura. Thanks all!
Old 28th April 2011, 20:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The ex showroom price for me was Rs 13,94,130. Adding road tax, insurance, Skoda Shield and loading charges etc. the total price came to approximately Rs 15,71,000.
Just noticed I wrote wrong... the on road price for me was Rs 14.71 lakh not Rs 15.71 lakh. Sorry for the wrong amount mentioned.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:04   #26
BHPian

[Update: 10,000 km] My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel

So, I have closed 10,000 km (actually, closer to 11,000 now) and my review is now in a few parts:
Driveability:
I still maintain this car is the best I have ever driven, and behind the steering wheel I forget everything else. Just too smooth, too comfortable, too beautiful and an amazingly well handling car. Stability is awesome, body roll is zero in case of fast turns etc etc etc. - you all know the rest.

The clutch is loose after just 10K km... not sure if that is common... request views on this.

Ownership experience:
This is a mixed bag really... the car has had it's AC's compressor replaced... yes the compressor conked off within 3 months of purchase... though the service center guys said my problem was the first time they had ever seen... basically, the AC worked and stopped as per it's own will :-). No logical explanation.

The service center took 2 days to identify there was a problem in the compressor (it wasnt the usual complaint of low cooling as was there was the previous gen Laura) and then got a replacement in 15 days (claiming it had to come from Ahmedabad and that they couldnt use something from their stock, even though they had spares).

Once replaced, things were back on track again. Service center experience was ok, I guess it is more a Skoda problem than service center problem. Maybe once with Rapid if they start seing some volumes, service will improve.

Overall:
As a summary, the driving experience is so damn awesome, that it overshadows anything else... and there is just that one experience with the AC that I have to complain about... all else is great.

I will still recommend this car strongly to anyone... much more VFM than the Jetta... which is expensive and carries a slightly modified engine... and doesnt even look nice... its pretty much the Vento... and that is pretty much the only competition this car has... some may say the Cruze, but that is for hardcore speed and performance freaks, not quality freaks (not meant to say Cruze is not quality, but you get the drift... no offense to Cruze lovers)... so its a different segment.

Net net... LOVE the car. Will wait for 50K eagerly...
kgkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 11:39   #27
BHPian

Hi Kgkaran,
First of all, a very crisp and to the point review. Thanks a lot for that.
Did you get some seat covers installed?

Could you please post some more pictures of the interior?
Specifically the wooden interior scheme which replaced the silver alloy finish. Some better quality pictures or some pictures clicked during the day time would definitely help.

Apart from that, any rattles or other such noises?

Last edited by DeKay : 6th November 2011 at 11:40.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:45   #28
BHPian

Re: [Update: 10,000 km] My all new Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 MT diesel

Quote:
So, I have closed 10,000 km (actually, closer to 11,000 now) and my review is now in a few parts:
Driveability:
I still maintain this car is the best I have ever driven, and behind the steering wheel I forget everything else. Just too smooth, too comfortable, too beautiful and an amazingly well handling car. Stability is awesome, body roll is zero in case of fast turns etc etc etc. - you all know the rest.

The clutch is loose after just 10K km... not sure if that is common... request views on this.

Ownership experience:
This is a mixed bag really... the car has had it's AC's compressor replaced... yes the compressor conked off within 3 months of purchase... though the service center guys said my problem was the first time they had ever seen... basically, the AC worked and stopped as per it's own will :-). No logical explanation.

The service center took 2 days to identify there was a problem in the compressor (it wasnt the usual complaint of low cooling as was there was the previous gen Laura) and then got a replacement in 15 days (claiming it had to come from Ahmedabad and that they couldnt use something from their stock, even though they had spares).

Once replaced, things were back on track again. Service center experience was ok, I guess it is more a Skoda problem than service center problem. Maybe once with Rapid if they start seing some volumes, service will improve.

Overall:
As a summary, the driving experience is so damn awesome, that it overshadows anything else... and there is just that one experience with the AC that I have to complain about... all else is great.

I will still recommend this car strongly to anyone... much more VFM than the Jetta... which is expensive and carries a slightly modified engine... and doesnt even look nice... its pretty much the Vento... and that is pretty much the only competition this car has... some may say the Cruze, but that is for hardcore speed and performance freaks, not quality freaks (not meant to say Cruze is not quality, but you get the drift... no offense to Cruze lovers)... so its a different segment.

Net net... LOVE the car. Will wait for 50K eagerly...
Hi Mr kg

Thats a well explained review of your car, Really nice to hear your happiness with the Car.
I am planning to buy a Skoda Rapid from the same Dealer How would you rate the dealership?
Any specific person you would like to recommend for better servicing

Thanks,
Sahil

Most Viewed