Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 14:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

BackSeat Driver graduates with Khushiyon Ki Chaabi (Tata Nano)!!

The Nano was launched in the Auto Expo in Jan 2008 and had received rave reviews across the world over for engineering ingenuity. The western world had got stumped at the idea of a fully functioning car under $5k. I was that time in UK and equally amazed along with the rest of the world and wanted to see it at close quarters.

Fast forward to March / April 2009 and I was back in India and was looking for a high GC rugged SUV to take on drives into the heart of the country. The Nano had also opened for booking around the same time and I had my first peek at it at the dealership. First thing that struck me was for the amount of space or rather the abundance of it. I was mightily impressed by it and since TD was not available, decided to wait. Wifey was totally smitten by the car and we decided that once the initial bookings for 1 Lakh got over and the vehicle was available for the shelf, may be we will also get one. That time we got a Bolero and the idea of Nano just remained at the back of our minds without much activity.

Then somewhere around June/July 2010, during one TBHP meet in Hyderabad, I got a chance to drive the Nano of a fellow member and liked the pickup as well. Around the same time I also got to TD the THAR while it was in Hyderabad and decided to go for it once it was launched.

Another fast forward to December 2010. THAR launch was in the horizon and I broached the topic of selling our Bolero and getting the THAR. Wifey wasn't particularly averse to the idea but neither too keen as well as she wanted a proper tourer for our long drives. It was then that I had a brain wave of why not buy a Nano for her and a THAR for me. It was the first time any of my idea's have been received with so much suppport and enthusiasm by Bidisha.

So the next weekend we went to TD the Nano and liked the overall package. Even though there were a few disappointments (will come to that later), firmed up the plan to buy Nano along with the THAR. Subsequently the THAR did get launched but somehow the THAR became Getaway along the path (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...d-getaway.html)

We finally booked the Nano on the 15th March and submitted the papers for both the vehicle for financing. Since there was a bit of taxation issue, we wanted the bigger vehicle first and the smaller later. But courtesy the goof up by local M&M dealer, we had finance approval for both the cars but only one vehicle.

Not able to hold the excitement any longer we got the vehicle billed on 31st March and brought it home on the 1st of April, 2011.

And oh boy, aren't we elated!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 4th April 2011 at 17:41.
Old 4th April 2011, 17:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dealership & Buying Experience

We booked the Nano on 15th March at Concorde Motors, Hyderabad. There was no specific reason for choosing them except, they are the nearest to my office/house and are below the SBI Branch I bank with.

We were attended during our first visit in Dec'10 by this gent called Kishore who over the last 3 months understood our issue and patiently bear with us. If you are planning to buy a Nano in Hyderabad, I would recommend Kishore of Concorde. No BS, no false promises. His boss Jagan Murthy is a slightly more glib talker but again nothing harmless. We had a zero hassles delivery and the entire paperwork was seamless.

The offer for the month of March was free insurance and we got a further 7K worth of accessories free(Keyless Entry, Seat Cover, Mat, Mud Flaps). Overall it costed us Rs 2.35 Lacs OTR with 14% tax and net all discounts and maintenance package. And to top it up the SBI loan came at 8.25% interest.

Now some pictures during the delivery:
BackSeat Driver graduates with Khushiyon Ki Chaabi (Tata Nano)!!-p4010095.jpg

BackSeat Driver graduates with Khushiyon Ki Chaabi (Tata Nano)!!-p4010096.jpg

BackSeat Driver graduates with Khushiyon Ki Chaabi (Tata Nano)!!-p4010098.jpg

Last edited by MileCruncher : 4th April 2011 at 18:51.
Old 4th April 2011, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Initial 100 Kms Experience

The Nano was delivered to us with about 49 Kms on the odo. We started driving it properly only from Saturday - 2nd April and it has done about 150 odd Kms ( 50Kms driven by me).
My first impressions are as follows:

Positives:
  1. Very peppy engine
  2. Powerful AC but doesn't strangle the engine. Last night we had people in the car with AC and it didn't feel gasping for power. Handled the load well.
  3. The interior sound proofing is of very high degree.
  4. Lights are very effective.
  5. Upright driving position and gear shift are at the perfect position.
  6. Rear seat leg space is awesome
  7. The combination switch stalk sounds are very muted thereby giving a feeling of a much higher end car.
  8. The window glasses are tinted.

Negatives
  1. The instrument cluster in the middle reduces front visibility
  2. The car doesn't come with electric headlight leveler.
  3. No glovebox is a pain.
  4. No place for fixing front speakers or antenna.
  5. The front and rear tyres have different width thereby making full tyre rotation impossible.
  6. The wiper washer spray on the wiper is not very effective.

These are a few things that I have documented till now. Will keep adding as we go along. I now leave the floor to the owner of the car to put in her impressions.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: BackSeat Driver graduates with Khushiyon Ki Chaabi (Tata Nano)!!

Congratulations Anirudha !!

I am thinking of the same variant, same color for my wifee too ! Although I cant even think about the comfort, drivability and the overall difference from a Ford Fiesta, because thats what is remaining idle in our parking and she is not comfortable taking it into a bumper to bumper mad traffic in Bangalore. So, end of the day we might give away a 9000 kms run Fiesta for a Nano. It sounds weird, but me being less interested in driving and she being keen on taking up the weekly/monthly house hold routines, Nano is a clear winner so far. We both work from home, so its only a weekly drive for shopping or similar.

Initial unhappy reviews seem to have ended, Nano is attracting more people. I am curious to know about your waiting period. If my understanding is correct from your above post, you waited hardly 2 weeks. Am I right ? I was thinking the waiting is over 3 months. I am yet to call up the dealers this week.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Miecruncher for your new TATA Nano. Nano is a very good choice when value for money factor is considered. Please keep this thread updated regularly regarding after sales service experience. Take good care of her and drive safe.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dada,
Congratulations !
Have fun with the Yellow Button and miles and miles of zipping around.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yellow???? It looks like a toy. :-)) Well, don't take that comment to heart please. I'm sure it is a great car for the purpose it is intended for.
What I am more interested in, is the review for your coming set of wheels. Bring on the Getaway.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:24   #8
BHPian

Congrats Ani, Now where are we going for the treat ?

Btw - Is there any bot space on the Nano, Could you please post a pic of the cargo space. I am just curious on the wonder package (aka nano)

Last edited by Motoringlover : 5th April 2011 at 11:26. Reason: Additional Question.
Old 5th April 2011, 12:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Ani. It was fun to drive your Nano yesterday.

That also happens to be the first time ever that I drove a Nano, I was surprised with its agility and light footed-ness despite giving it a little gas. I feel that's a major plus point and is a boon for city driving.

Also, some of other points noted is insulation is pretty good. You dont get to hear the auto kind of noise which is pretty evident from outside.

Interior space too is almost in the i10 category which is again a big surprise for me.

What I didnt like was :-

1. Visibity is greatly reduced due to the center console raking up towards the windshield

2. No Glove Box

3. Interior plastics leave a lot to be desired

4. No left ORVM

5. Finally, the brakes were not too confidence inspiring especially when your at a high speed. e.g : 60kmph and above.

Overall, its a lovely city car and that color is an eye-turner and I can see that your already a hero in our twin cities

P.S: Do get it adorned with TBHP stickers soon.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations Anirudha !!

Initial unhappy reviews seem to have ended, Nano is attracting more people.
Nano attracted me after a quick test-drive, but unhappy reviews not ended yet.. checkout this link TATA NANO Review, TATA NANO Price, TATA NANO Mileage, TATA NANO Models, TATA NANO India, Please read this b4 you buy TATA NONO - MouthShut.com
Old 5th April 2011, 13:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Antenna wiring

@MileCruncher, Congrats on your new wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
No place for fixing front speakers or antenna.
Try for an internal antenna. I have a Blaupunkt wire antenna in my Sumo, and a (chinese make) internal antenna in the Ikon. Wiring is concealed, and no drilling etc for the wires. Check my ownership threads for details.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:04   #12
BHPian

Congrats Mrs & Mr MileCruncher.

Lets have some more photographs of the car showing the interiors, console, boot space, etc. for our viewing pleasure and also of the Drive Safe Sticker
Old 5th April 2011, 16:50   #13
BHPian

Hey congrats Ani bhai on the new Nano. The colour looks awesome. Wishing you miles and miles of Nanoing.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey MC---congrats! I think I saw Tweety on the RB Rd yesterday or on Sunday. As the saying goes--' I tot i taw a puddy tat---err a canary'
Old 5th April 2011, 17:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Milecruncher. Congrats to you and your wife. Wishing you a safe, long and happy ownership.

Looking forward to regular updates on this thread with more pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks