Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 20:06   #181
BHPian

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Today while taking my car out I noticed that rear sun blinds of one door is not there . I Had a been for a short drive yesterday with kids who were sitting in the back.I assume they broke the latch and it went inside, though its just my assumption.I tried it see if it is jammed inside the door but couldn't see anything because of the angle of the door handles which makes it seeing inside almost Impossible.Does anybody here had gone through the same issue ?
Also Is Bmw selling it as a pair or single is available and any idea how much will it cost (OEM)
Old 8th October 2017, 21:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Today while taking my car out I noticed that rear sun blinds of one door is not there . I Had a been for a short drive yesterday with kids who were sitting in the back.I assume they broke the latch and it went inside, though its just my assumption.I tried it see if it is jammed inside the door but couldn't see anything because of the angle of the door handles which makes it seeing inside almost Impossible.Does anybody here had gone through the same issue ?
Well, My niece too did the same, She tried to remove the blind and it snapped! Gladly only a slight bit of the blind got turned & it still functions, It seems once has to be careful while trying lower the blind, Very easily it can be snapped and broken.

Quote:
Also Is Bmw selling it as a pair or single is available and any idea how much will it cost (OEM)
Yes they do sell it, Last i enquired at navnit, They did not have it in stock though & as expected did not even have the approx price ready, Since mine was still working i decided to keep it that way.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 21:49   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
If it's indeed broken recently you should find the broken plastic latch in the car. IMO it's that easy to break.

You need to buy main window and quarter glass window sunshades separately (and for each door). I am assuming you have the quarter glass shade working properly and only the main window shade is fully retracted. The main window shade seems to be 200USD, so the dealer price would be Rs 30K + labour.

Best would be to ask the dealer to open it up, gain access to the net and use super-glue-jugaad. Or just slide down a thin metal wire and try to hook the net and pull it out.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 19:14   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The main window shade seems to be 200USD, so the dealer price would be Rs 30K + labour.

Are you serious? I know BMW parts are expensive.But for this particular part I never expected it to be priced more than 10k.
And yes its the main window not quarter glass side.I did not find any latch maybe it fell outside. Without that i guess Jugaad is also not possible.

Any idea of after market parts ? If its available I guess that would be better than Jugaad anyway.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 9th October 2017 at 19:22.
Old 9th October 2017, 19:45   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea of after market parts ? If its available I guess that would be better than Jugaad anyway.
Visit your Dealership and get hold of contact number of your parts manager or service advisor, those guys can help you. For aftermarket parts, I think most of the time internet works except when someone has already gone through a similar experience.

Regarding this part, in many places like Chandigarh it's illegal to drive your car with shades up and you can be given a fine. So do check local rules.

While buying an old car, I always suggest people to look into the areas which no one else will otherwise check, signs of wear on brake, Accelerator and gear levers as an example, checking blinds on a luxury sedan adds to that list
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 19:39   #186
BHPian

Can anybody here help me out for getting the part number of the Rear side window Blinds.

As Im travelling i was not able to contact the BMW service centre. If I get the part number Im thinking of telling my friend who is in US (who incidentally drives the new G30) to get the part and send it to me as I believe it will be cheap there majorly due to tax difference (Correct me if Im wrong as Im yet to get the price from there)

Also is the blinds same for F10 and G30?
Old 26th October 2017, 19:57   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anybody here help me out for getting the part number of the Rear side window Blinds
It will be VIN dependent, best will be to share the same with your friend and let him check with his local dealership. If there is no difference on LHD/ RHD for this part ( which I think should not be) US dealer can source it but don't expect too much difference, in case you plan to get these by courier, it might even get expensive, as suggested previously, get it opened at the local dealership and check if the existing one can be salvaged before ordering new one.

Quote:
Also is the blinds same for F10 and G30?
do you find the doors and windows similar?

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th October 2017 at 19:58.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:25   #188

Does anyone have experience of ECU remap / chip tuning on F10 ? Any advice on the matter shall be appreciated.

Thanks

Life is Good!

SK
Old 28th November 2017, 13:07   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will be VIN dependent, best will be to share the same with your friend and let him check with his local dealership. If there is no difference on LHD/ RHD for this part ( which I think should not be) US dealer can source it but don't expect too much difference, in case you plan to get these by courier, it might even get expensive, as suggested previously, get it opened at the local dealership and check if the existing one can be salvaged before ordering new one.
Took your advise and Ordered for a new one one from the local dealership itself as the existing one could not be restored.The Cost was 22k for the total set (comes in 2 parts) of the blinds for one side. Now on Im going to make sure i will close the blinds whenever kids are sitting in the back row.
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 14:00   #190
BHPian

My 5er warranty is getting over this month - and the extended warranty quote by the dealer is quite expensive.
Was wondering if anyone has "shopped" around or negotiated on the extended warranty with other dealers. Or are the rates are cast in stone?
Thanks in advance
Old 13th December 2017, 16:41   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
My 5er warranty is getting over this month - and the extended warranty quote by the dealer is quite expensive.
Was wondering if anyone has "shopped" around or negotiated on the extended warranty with other dealers. Or are the rates are cast in stone?
Thanks in advance
My X3 completed 5 years early this year & though I opted for the extended (10 yr 100K kms) Service pack which pinched me by about INR 1.4 Lacs, the 6th year extended warranty was quoted at a whopping INR ~3.5 to 4 Lacs and hence i gave it a miss. Unsure if they'd negotiate on it.

Though the extended warranty seems a mandatory requirement for these Germans, 4 lacs for a year (6th) is crazy and i thought i'd ride my luck on it. My car was due for a service which would have costed me ~50K INR (brake pads replaced/ Engine oil, etc) and hence the service extension made more sense and i have recuperated 40% of that spend already.
Old 13th December 2017, 17:37   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAUBMW7 View Post
My X3 completed 5 years early this year & though I opted for the extended (10 yr 100K kms) Service pack which pinched me by about INR 1.4 Lacs, the 6th year extended warranty was quoted at a whopping INR ~3.5 to 4 Lacs and hence i gave it a miss. Unsure if they'd negotiate on it.

Though the extended warranty seems a mandatory requirement for these Germans, 4 lacs for a year (6th) is crazy and i thought i'd ride my luck on it. My car was due for a service which would have costed me ~50K INR (brake pads replaced/ Engine oil, etc) and hence the service extension made more sense and i have recuperated 40% of that spend already.
Extension from 5 yr pack to 10 yr pack costed you only 1.40 Lakhs??!! That's a pretty good deal.
Old 13th December 2017, 19:25   #193
BHPian

Yes, that’s right. 1.4 Lacs for the (beginning of) 6th to 10th year.. thought that made more sense than the exorbitant warranty for just 1 year.
I intend to keep the car for 2-3 more years so hopefully the service pack payout will recover itself.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:20   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAUBMW7 View Post
Yes, that’s right. 1.4 Lacs for the (beginning of) 6th to 10th year.. thought that made more sense than the exorbitant warranty for just 1 year.
I intend to keep the car for 2-3 more years so hopefully the service pack payout will recover itself.
I suspect 1.4L doesn't cover brake jobs, in which case it's not that a great deal just for oil and filter change. My estimate is that basic oil and filter service costs under Rs 20K. So unless usage is high, you will not spend more than 1L for what is covered.

On a side note, I am actually quite impressed with my BMW ownership costs (I am the thread starter btw). The usage is very low and the expenses are even lower, thanks to condition based servicing. While it is not right to generalise based on just one personal experience, I am a fan of BMW condition based servicing for my low usage. My other cars also see very limited usage but due to scheduled servicing, I end up sending them to dealer and bills add up pretty quickly.

It's still running on the original battery (close to 7 years). Thumbs up to BMW.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 20:38   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I suspect 1.4L doesn't cover brake jobs,
No, These are included. There are no exclusions, even Battery is also covered, subject to Driver profile unless there is some recent change.

Quote:
It's still running on the original battery (close to 7 years).
Yes, these last long, look your Trickle charger is working as desired

Quote:

Will depend on your usage but Yes, even if we consider low running, yearly oil and Biennial or so Brake oil change, will knock off your payment. Add wiper blades and occasional battery change and you will have some savings. I too have a similar pack on mine 2009 X6.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th December 2017 at 20:44.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed