Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 07:41   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, These are included. There are no exclusions, even Battery is also covered, subject to Driver profile unless there is some recent change.
Are you sure? 1.4L package that covers brakes and battery sounds too good to be true.
Old 6th February 2018, 16:00   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Service reminder came up for an oil change. Cost of oil change: Rs 20K (18K parts, 2K labour).

BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-1517912359014.jpeg.jpg
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:29   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

I continue to be very impressed by the ownership of BMW, though it has only covered close to 40K km so far. Condition based servicing offered by BMW is a big positive - it allows me to avoid needless expenses and also gives me the confidence that the car is fully ready for a long drive as I can see the key information like engine oil level, remaining brake pad life, etc.

It's a bit hard to get used to Rs 15K service bill for a car of this segment and so old

BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-bs1.png

BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-bs2.png
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 06:41   #199
BHPian

Looking at your bill, I couldn’t find these items which my dealer always adds during engine oil only service. Says it’s mandatory. Is that true?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-f89537807d394c649d51afad410fe4a8.jpeg  

adi58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:46   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Looking at your bill, I couldn’t find these items which my dealer always adds during engine oil only service. Says it’s mandatory. Is that true?
Nope. They don't seem to be related to oil change job. Usual stuff to pad the bill. Even in my case, I see some labour item for micro fitter service which might be something to do with cabin AC filter checking. They always think they can sneak in a couple of thousands worth of odd jobs. I tell the service advisor to do only what the idrive is asking for and nothing else unless I ask for it.

In the case of MB and Porsche etc, as it is an annual service visit, they will have a magical item that says something like "Service B" Rs 20,000 labour while also listing all individual labour items Lot of service jobs are with the criteria like 40K km or 4 years whichever is earlier - this generally trends to be very premature for cars with low usage. I think because BMW business model tends to be around BSI, their service schedules are more conservative and their dealerships are used to carrying out bare minimum service jobs. An MB service advisor might lose his job if he returns the car with just oil change At least that is how I see it: BMW making money off BSI prepayments and MB making money off post payments. Conversely, your car will get lot of liberal free service items with MB if you opt for prepay and very bare bones esential service items with BMW BSI.

Last edited by androdev : 4th February 2021 at 08:53.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 17:27   #201
BHPian

Micro filter charge must be cleaning of the AC filter since they have not added any parts in your invoice. Do you mind telling me what kms this engine oil service was for?
Old 4th February 2021, 17:40   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Micro filter charge must be cleaning of the AC filter since they have not added any parts in your invoice. Do you mind telling me what kms this engine oil service was for?
39K km. I told them not to change AC filter, forgot to tell them not to clean also! car didn't see much usage due to covid. I don't remember the price but AC filters are not cheap.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:27   #203
BHPian

Don’t know where to put my query so posting here.

Mods please post it in appropriate thread if possible.

Found a 2017 BMW 520d M sport (F10)

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...ot=4&dc=0&rk=1

The dealer is asking for 33 lacs negotiable.

The car is out of warranty. The owner had not opted for a extended warranty. The insurance expire in july.

I test drive the car today morning. The car was in a pristine condition. But i found the steering a but too heavy for city driving. Was it a problem with this particular car or was it due to M sport steering wheel ? And the tyre noise was much audible inside the cabin even on speeds around 60 to 80 kmph. My daily drive is ford endeavour and the cabin is so silent at these speeds without music.

What would be the cost of extended warranty and is there any common failure that i should be worried about ?

I am new to buying used luxury car so would love the opinions of fellow bmw users and bhpians.
Thanks in advance
Old 12th February 2021, 23:53   #204

Hi Sachin, my daily driver is a 2016 f10 520d. When compared to other cars such as Mercedes E Class and Audi A6, BMW steerings are heavier to manoeuvre in low speed. Moreover the tyres also play a key role is steering feel. So checking for tyre tread wear to know is something is off about it. The continental tyres on my car are quieter when compared to the Good year Eagle F1 tyres on my father’s E Class. The tyres on the car in advertisement seem to be Bridgestone Potenza’s. The older generation Bridgestone tyres usually get noisier as they wear out.

Overall the car has good reliability and I have not faced any issues to report except for some defect on the diamond cut Alloy wheels. That apart, the car has been flawless in nearly 40k kms and 5 years. Some minor squeaks may develop around the doors by they are hard to even notice with the music on. I purchased the 5 year warranty plan and it has since expired. You could get a 6th year extended warranty but that would be about 2 lakh I guess.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th February 2021 at 08:19. Reason: typo edited
Chab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:34   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post
Found a 2017 BMW 520d M sport (F10)

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...ot=4&dc=0&rk=1

The dealer is asking for 33 lacs negotiable.

The car is out of warranty. The owner had not opted for a extended warranty. The insurance expire in july.
Hi Sachin. Prima facie, it seems to me that the car is slightly overpriced, given that it it has no warranty, insurance will expire soon, and is a generation old. The price is a bit optimistic because of the bimmer's aspirational badge. I'd suggest you wait a bit longer before pulling the trigger on one.

What's more, I believe those wheels are aftermarket replicas, and that's a big no-no in my books since you have no idea how it'll take a heavy hit on bad roads, the way BMW's cast wheels will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post
And the tyre noise was much audible inside the cabin even on speeds around 60 to 80 kmph. My daily drive is ford endeavour and the cabin is so silent at these speeds without music.
It could be that those tyres are really old. Check the tread and manufacturing date on them, that'll give you an answer.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 16:54   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

The door grab handles have become very sticky and get worse if parked under the sun. Apparently this happens to ALL old F10 cars and there are plenty of after-market kits and DYI details on the internet.

A quick call to the dealer reveals around Rs 30K for parts (Approx 5K driver side, 8K each for remaining 3 handles) plus labour. Hope they can offer some sort of goodwill given this is definitely a result of faulty materials used - but the initial chat didn't seem promising.

BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-handles.png
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 17:44   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The door grab handles have become very sticky and get worse if parked under the sun. Apparently this happens to ALL old F10 cars and there are plenty of after-market kits and DYI details on the internet.

Attachment 2122324
This happened in our BMW X1 (e84) and the service centre guys said that this was common with older cars as the material gets wear and tear. This happened after 7 years and we got it changed for around 3k per handle.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 12:02   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I continue to be very impressed by the ownership of BMW, though it has only covered close to 40K km so far. Condition based servicing offered by BMW is a big positive - it allows me to avoid needless expenses and also gives me the confidence that the car is fully ready for a long drive as I can see the key information like engine oil level, remaining brake pad life, etc.

It's a bit hard to get used to Rs 15K service bill for a car of this segment and so old
Looking at your service invoice, I can't find the Joy Rewards discount. Since your car is already in it's 8th year now, you ideally should be getting a 20% discount on things like the engine oil and the filters (full list on BMW India's website), do check with the SA on your next service once.
Here's my invoice with a 16% discount under Joy Rewards.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-screenshot-20210730-11.59.05-am.png  

advaydh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 08:27   #209
BHPian

@Androdev do you still have the 5?
Would be great if you gave an update.
Old 19th February 2022, 09:53   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Dead battery is obviously one such problem. Good news is I heard this car will warn me about battery issues. Also came across this very interesting "hidden trick" that opens up a hidden menu that has "on board voltmeter" that will show the BMW battery voltage:

Source: Forget to disconnect battery charger? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Thank you for this very useful post androdev! If I had to tell you where all I’ve searched for this in my F25, I’ll have to open up another thread for it!
Will update on status shortly.
Cheers!
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed