Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 23:47   #31
BHPian

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Ooooooooo. Black and tan looks sick. Inspiring combination.

When you scan the car data using the tools, doesn't it put a timestamp of last diagnose date time, etc. to which BMW can object during their tests?
Old 11th April 2011, 00:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Androdev on a great buy. The bimmers really stand out from the crowd. Did you even check out the A4 or A6 ? I found the Audis to be more interesting inside than the BMWs.
Old 11th April 2011, 00:43   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Thanks diffsoft, neoonwheels and eshwar for your wishes. You can see the right dead pedal on Laura here. BMW doesn't have one. It is a bit inconvenient at long traffic signals.

Attachment 528055
hey, Congrats on your purchase. the F10 Bimmer 5 is high amongst the hottest cars on road. Isn't this Laura pedals photo from my thread?
Old 11th April 2011, 01:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
You can see the right dead pedal on Laura here. BMW doesn't have one. It is a bit inconvenient at long traffic signals.
Thanks for clarifying, sir.
I have never noticed it on my Laura, hence I asked.
Useful piece of information to me.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:01   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
The 12v sockets too are on only when the engine is running.
Will have to explore why.
Just checked and confirmed that the 12V sockets (front and rear) are powered without ignition/engine being on in 520d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Strangely though, the 5 series is selling more than the 3.
couple of factors I can think of. new 3 is on the horizon. A4 and C class are more comfort oriented than 3, so luxury seekers might opt for A4/C. On the other hand 5-series is ahead of the competition as of now. more importantly, buyers in this segment are not interested in compact size luxury unless they prefer to drive the car themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieman View Post
Did you find any information on getting a space saver for the new vehicle.Its the one deterrent preventing me from thinking about this vehicle.
There is no official space saver tyre for F10 for sure. The old sold for E60 won't fit the F10 without tweaking I heard. My plan is to buy a full size wheel with alloy. See my earlier post with a link on this. It is a serious negative factor of F10 but can be overcome with a bit of boot space loss. So instead of saying F10 doesn't have a spare, the right question to ask is: Do I mind buying a spare wheel and keep it in the boot? The earlier complaint of bad ride due to run-flats is no longer applicable to the current 5. So with a spare in the boot (not elegant I agree) and decent ride quality offered by the 5, run-flats can be considered an advantage net-net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hey, so what is the on road price or the ex-showroom..This car is under active consideration for a friend who is driver driven 90% of the time.

Thanks for the acknowledgement !!

This makes about 185 Bhp right ?

Enjoy your new car, BTW how is the seating height ? Low slung ?

Cheerio
Ex-showroom price = 37,22,800
OTR = 47 in Bangalore (19.8% road tax) :-)
Yep, 185 BHP. Seating is very good. Excellent visibility in the front and rear.

Hmmm.. 90% driver driven.. rear seat is without any goodies. no rear A/C controls, etc. I have not test driven other cars, so can't compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
Ooooooooo. Black and tan looks sick. Inspiring combination.

When you scan the car data using the tools, doesn't it put a timestamp of last diagnose date time, etc. to which BMW can object during their tests?
Interesting, but I don't think it leaves any trace for scanning unless I change some settings. Good point, though. Wouldn't want to take chances :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats Androdev on a great buy. The bimmers really stand out from the crowd. Did you even check out the A4 or A6 ? I found the Audis to be more interesting inside than the BMWs.
I considered A4 for myself but I had a budget of only ~30L and was not getting any in the used car market in Bangalore. 520d is not for me - it is a family car which I will get to drive on weekends and vacation trips. I continue to use the Laura for my daily commute. You are right about Audi cars having better interiors. But the overall package of features, brand, maintenance of BMW and especially 5-series is better than its peers as of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
hey, Congrats on your purchase. the F10 Bimmer 5 is high amongst the hottest cars on road. Isn't this Laura pedals photo from my thread?
Sorry mate, you are right, it is taken from your thread. I should have given the credits, missed it by mistake. Basically, I googled for images (laura site:team-bhp.com on google image search) and t-bhp didn't accept t-bhp URLs for image uploads. So I downloaded and re-uploaded so I never really navigated to though the specific threads. Here are the credits for the photos I have used, took some effort to retrace the threads with these images :-)

Laura footwell
@Akki_5
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1542725

BMW footwell
@Nitronium
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...re-indeed.html

BMW engine bay
@Rehhan
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1941360

Last edited by androdev : 11th April 2011 at 14:05.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 10:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:

There is no official space saver tyre for F10 for sure.
The F10 Space Saver is on its way. Expected availability June 2011. Peace.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:24   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
The F10 Space Saver is on its way. Expected availability June 2011. Peace.
That's good news. Few questions;

1. Will it be available in India by June 201?1
2. Considering that there is no wheel well, how does space saver compare to full wheel spare option such as this (cost, space, kit, etc.):
E39 M5 Spare Wheel & Tire Package on eBay - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)
Old 12th April 2011, 11:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just checked and confirmed that the 12V sockets (front and rear) are powered without ignition/engine being on in 520d.
This is a useful addition by BMW. The E60 needs the ignition switch to be on to power up the 12v socket.
The Superb however does not require this and it's a boon when your battery is drained so you can charge your phone while the car is locked.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:16   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Mirrors fold back a little if hit by bikes/auto,etc.

BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-img00008201104131019.jpg
Old 15th April 2011, 09:34   #40
BHPian

Hi Androdev,
Congrats on your excellant choice. Have you tried driving your car sideways (diagonally) across the speedbreakers. I used to have a E36 and enjoy every speedbreaker while my friends/passengers used to grit their teeth.

Sadly my Octavia does'nt enjoy it that way. The best part about these RWD's is the way they turn- but drive safe !

Last edited by rxpaul : 15th April 2011 at 09:36.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:57   #41
BHPian

Hello Androdev,

Congratulations!!! Here's to many many safe miles in your new BMW.
After having driven some BMWs over long distances and speaking to owners at length over the car, I have come to realize that it is the 'ultimate driving machine'.

Sure there are better cars out there, but in the future one tends to forgive the shortcomings on the car purely based on the driving experience. Congratulations on your machine.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:25   #42
BHPian

hi andro,

Congrats on the fabulous buy. The opening pic says it all. illuminated headlamps and bmw logo. You cannot take a better picture.
Old 16th April 2011, 00:37   #43
BHPian

That 's a fantastic review!!
With a great pics too.

can any one advice if about taking the BSI ultimate for 60,000 km/ 5 years (1.8L) or Bsi ultimate 90,000km/ 5 years(2.7L) with regards to the X1.. not too sure if i would be driving 90k in 5 years. in case i do cross 60k does any one have any ideas what the service cost would be once the 60 k warranty runs out i.e which essential components that would be replaced
Old 16th April 2011, 01:40   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
That 's a fantastic review!!
With a great pics too.

can any one advice if about taking the BSI ultimate for 60,000 km/ 5 years (1.8L) or Bsi ultimate 90,000km/ 5 years(2.7L) with regards to the X1.. not too sure if i would be driving 90k in 5 years. in case i do cross 60k does any one have any ideas what the service cost would be once the 60 k warranty runs out i.e which essential components that would be replaced
I did not do much math, and went for the maximum coverage. BSI was one of the key factors that influenced my decision to go for BMW. This car will be kept forever (nearly) and no intention to sell anytime soon. So unless you are very certain of the not crossing the 60K limit or you have plans to sell it relatively quickly, I would suggest go for the max coverage. Btw, isn't it 100k KM and not 90K? The peace of mind is priceless. it is like insurance - some people insure everything, some people don't mind taking chances.

As per service costs - the regular planned service doesn't hurt that much. It is the unplanned failures that make the ownership bitter. Transmission, idrive, electric seats, A/C system, power windows, turbo/engine, suspension, catalytic convertor, fuel pump blah blah.. any one of this goes kaput, you would have recovered the difference between the two packages you mentioned.

i would say take the max coverage and offload the maintenance headache to the company. i am hoping they will bring in 10yrs/200K km coverage to India :-)
Old 16th April 2011, 14:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I did not do much math, and went for the maximum coverage. BSI was one of the key factors that influenced my decision to go for BMW.

yes it was 1lakh and not 90 thousand, looking at what components are required to be changed once about 1lakh km is reached.

again not too sure if i 'd be using the car so much to reach 1 big one in 5 years. Any way thank you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Service Inclusive Pricelist in INR wef 01022011.pdf (62.5 KB, 1015 views)

Most Viewed