Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 22:28   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Quote:
can any one advice if about taking the BSI ultimate for 60,000 km/ 5 years (1.8L) or Bsi ultimate 90,000km/ 5 years(2.7L) with regards to the X1.. not too sure if i would be driving 90k in 5 years.
Hi,

You can buy 60,000/ 3 Year pack and can extend or upgrade by paying difference anytime before this expires . I will always advise you to spend less on this while buying a new car - you never know how long are you going to keep the car .
Old 17th April 2011, 16:30   #47
evo
BHPian

Well done! I think its a very well written review that will actually help other folk rather than just a "my feelings" type of review. Did you use BMW Financial services in case you took a loan ?
Old 18th April 2011, 12:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, What a review! A JOY to read!
Love those headlamps, and the Cinnamon brown interior is FAB!
Also thanks for posting details of BSI this was a great help, especially with the pic where one can review all the price details. It really is a great initiative by BMW and the reason why many opt for their cars, once you pay, you are at ease knowing well that the company will take care of the maintainence.
Also was comforting to hear that people using cars in the Civic/Corolla/Laura category will be comfortable taking the 5 home straight from the showroom.
Cool that the Auto hold feature is working well for you, have heard some reviews of the Audi one not working upto expectations.
To be noted is that how Skoda takes care of these small things such as luggage hooks and parking ticket holder etc. They really go into the small details to make sure the customer's needs are taken care of, just look at the comparison even the BMW 5 doesn't have these convenience features. Way to go Skoda.
The indicator stalk thing seems a bit confusing and i think will take some getting use to. Indicator by wire, LOL! Good one.
Well here's wishing you many miles of JOYful motoring with your BMW Beauty!
Drive Safe!
Old 18th April 2011, 13:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi,

You can buy 60,000/ 3 Year pack and can extend or upgrade by paying difference anytime before this expires . I will always advise you to spend less on this while buying a new car - you never know how long are you going to keep the car .
Even though I bought 5yrs/100K km package, I agree with Turbanator (great nick btw). Apart from the fact that there is no need to pay upfront because you are not sure how long you may keep the car, I read another interesting point on the net - if the vehicle gets totaled/written-off due to some accident, etc. the money spent on BSI will go waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Well done! I think its a very well written review that will actually help other folk rather than just a "my feelings" type of review. Did you use BMW Financial services in case you took a loan ?
Thanks for your comments. IMO, simply telling how awesome a car in this segment is of little use, it is kind of stating the obvious. I did not go for a loan, so have no experience with BMW FS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, What a review! A JOY to read!
Love those headlamps, and the Cinnamon brown interior is FAB!
Also thanks for posting details of BSI this was a great help, especially with the pic where one can review all the price details. It really is a great initiative by BMW and the reason why many opt for their cars, once you pay, you are at ease knowing well that the company will take care of the maintainence.
Also was comforting to hear that people using cars in the Civic/Corolla/Laura category will be comfortable taking the 5 home straight from the showroom.
Cool that the Auto hold feature is working well for you, have heard some reviews of the Audi one not working upto expectations.
To be noted is that how Skoda takes care of these small things such as luggage hooks and parking ticket holder etc. They really go into the small details to make sure the customer's needs are taken care of, just look at the comparison even the BMW 5 doesn't have these convenience features. Way to go Skoda.
The indicator stalk thing seems a bit confusing and i think will take some getting use to. Indicator by wire, LOL! Good one.
Well here's wishing you many miles of JOYful motoring with your BMW Beauty!
Drive Safe!
Wow, you have really read every word of my review :-) Thank you for your comments. Skoda definitely has more thoughtful features (IMO, no other car in the market has a better boot Laura/Superb!)
Old 18th April 2011, 16:29   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

So the accessory buying phase has started.

1. Spare tyre

17" style #236 alloy (OEM) - 35,000
RFT tyre (Good Year) - 15,651
Jack - 11,106
Valve - 253
Wheel balancing: 1000

Total: ~ 63,000

2. Car cover

BMW original (f10) - 18,500, (e60) - 11,000
Tyvek Dupont, as quoted by Polco Mumbai office - 4,000 (This used to be 3,000??)

3. Electric air pump (12V powered), not seen, but Sai Iyengar Tyre Dealer in Bangalore claims he sold few and owners are happy
Price: 2,500

Last edited by androdev : 18th April 2011 at 16:32.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

a total of Rs. 63,000/- for the spare tyre and set! YIKES!

sorry didn't get the car cover part. is it 18,500 or you can buy a non BMW one for 4k?

Electric air pump seems priced alright. i believe they are in the 2-3k range.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:45   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a total of Rs. 63,000/- for the spare tyre and set! YIKES!

sorry didn't get the car cover part. is it 18,500 or you can buy a non BMW one for 4k?

Electric air pump seems priced alright. i believe they are in the 2-3k range.
18,500 is for the BMW cover, where as 4000 is for a generic tyvek cover from Polco that will fit Accord/Superb size cars. I decided to get the 4000 cover.

Hmmm spare tyre, more than 50% (35K) is for the alloy so I don't feel so bad. Will go for it. Another option is to manage a steel rim, tubeless tyre, and after-market jack - should be cheaper but finding a suitable steel rim would be some work.

The polish/finish of the car at the time delivery is really really poor!! Planning to get it detailed this week.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going in for the 4k cover is a wise decision indeed. One can buy 4 covers in the price that BMW is quoting for one.
For the spare wheel, it's a tough choice. You use the spare only in rare occasions, and if you can get steel rims then nothing like it. but as you mentioned it's hard to find.
Do keep us posted with your decision.
Drive Safe!
Old 19th April 2011, 15:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
2. Car cover

Tyvek Dupont, as quoted by Polco Mumbai office - 4,000 (This used to be 3,000??)
hi!!

From where did you get the cover i need to get it for my superb.

anyplace in New Delhi?
Old 19th April 2011, 17:42   #55
BHPian

A good car there. and a very 'different' ownership writeup. most people would be very enthusiastic and positive while writing about an upgrade from a sub-20lakh car to a 50 lakh one. You've put things from a perspective a bit rare on tbhp.
Quote:
Jack - 11,106
pardon my ignorance, but don't you think that figure has an extra digit? Unless its a press-a-button-and-i-go-under-the-car-and-jack-it-for-you kind of jack, the price isnt fair. unless bmw underbodies are so sensitive that only their jack would cut it.
Old 20th April 2011, 01:11   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Going in for the 4k cover is a wise decision indeed. One can buy 4 covers in the price that BMW is quoting for one.
For the spare wheel, it's a tough choice. You use the spare only in rare occasions, and if you can get steel rims then nothing like it. but as you mentioned it's hard to find.
Do keep us posted with your decision.
Drive Safe!
The wheel spec for F10
8Jx17"
PCD 5x120
Centre bore: 72.5mm
M14x1.25 bolts

Not sure its easy to find a steel wheel with that spec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
hi!!

From where did you get the cover i need to get it for my superb.

anyplace in New Delhi?
Try (no first hand experience):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1866093
or
http://coverwell.co.in/

I am trying to get it shipped from Mumbai (paid but yet receive):
::: polco :::

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
A good car there. and a very 'different' ownership writeup. most people would be very enthusiastic and positive while writing about an upgrade from a sub-20lakh car to a 50 lakh one. You've put things from a perspective a bit rare on tbhp.

pardon my ignorance, but don't you think that figure has an extra digit? Unless its a press-a-button-and-i-go-under-the-car-and-jack-it-for-you kind of jack, the price isnt fair. unless bmw underbodies are so sensitive that only their jack would cut it.
There are no extra digits - as a BMW buyer you generally feel relieved when you hear a price that is around 10,000 :-)

Thanks for your comments, btw.

Last edited by androdev : 20th April 2011 at 01:14.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Yeah would agree with you here. I am sure that after spending so much on the car.
Most BMW owners would be relieved to hear something quoted at or below 10000.
No matter how small the part, object or tool is.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the accessory buying phase has started.

1. Spare tyre

17" style #236 alloy (OEM) - 35,000
RFT tyre (Good Year) - 15,651
Jack - 11,106
Valve - 253
Wheel balancing: 1000

Total: ~ 63,000
You bought a full size spare! There goes boot space. I've learnt to live with the tight situation but at least I have a space saver. And why did you buy an RFT for the spare tyre as well? If you're on a rough patch and lose one RFT, there's every chance of the spare one getting a little bruised as well. If you can, go trade it in for a regular tubeless right away.

Quote:
2. Car cover

Eh? The dealer gave me a Polco FOC with my car.

Quote:
3. Electric air pump (12V powered), not seen, but Sai Iyengar Tyre Dealer in Bangalore claims he sold few and owners are happy
Price: 2,500
Awaiting your feedback on this one. Please let me know.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
You bought a full size spare! There goes boot space. I've learnt to live with the tight situation but at least I have a space saver. And why did you buy an RFT for the spare tyre as well? If you're on a rough patch and lose one RFT, there's every chance of the spare one getting a little bruised as well. If you can, go trade it in for a regular tubeless right away.
Not bought it yet, need to get some time to drive down the dealership which is pretty far from my place. Need to see in person how bad the boot space situation is after placing the spare wheel.

My reasoning is that, I have always wanted my spare to be a regular alloy. I hated running my cars on those steel wheels even for few days, I feel very conscious! So I am OK with the 35K for the alloy.

I would really love to get an after market jack that will do the job, but you know with these cars - jugaad stuff reminds you "penny wise pound foolish!"

About the tyre - since RFTs are covered under insurance and it will be symmetrical in handling as other tyres are also RFTs I am leaning towards it. If I am really going to be 'smart' about this, I would probably hunt for a steel wheel, normal tubeless tyre and after market jack. But I am definitely going for full spare option, don't care about the boot (folks can travel light) but don't want to be driving a BMW at 60+ kmph on a good highway (I get very limited opportunities to hit the highway and don't want to miss on those)!

Quote:
Eh? The dealer gave me a Polco FOC with my car.
The dealer (Navnit) is terrible. They made such a big deal even to give a free key chain, that too after charging me sticker price on the car+secure+bsi. I hope the service experience is better than their sales experience.

No one from BMW called me to find out how my buying experience was. The much bashed Skoda has done much better (the dealer customer service calls me, the manufacturer customer service calls me after each interaction - buying, servicing, etc.)

Quote:
Awaiting your feedback on this one. Please let me know.
[/quote]

I was searching for a good manual foot pump because however good these no-brand electric foot pumps with digital gauge, etc. are, they don't last long. Will check it out and let you know.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer (Navnit) is terrible. They made such a big deal even to give a free key chain, that too after charging me sticker price on the car+secure+bsi. I hope the service experience is better than their sales experience.

No one from BMW called me to find out how my buying experience was. The much bashed Skoda has done much better (the dealer customer service calls me, the manufacturer customer service calls me after each interaction - buying, servicing, etc.)

OUCH! fiat calls me twice for every visit to their dealers, whether sales query or service. both the dealer, and fiat pune. and of course, the umpteen calls from italy, a month after my car was invoiced.

A customer wants to be cared for. especially when he spends such big money. not done! a feedback note in the first service seems to be in order, hmm?

Quote:
I was searching for a good manual foot pump because however good these no-brand electric foot pumps with digital gauge, etc. are, they don't last long. Will check it out and let you know.
these might be worth a try. couldn't find a review on any automotive forum though.

Black & Decker Tools | Air Inflators/Compressors
Amazon.com: Black & Decker ASI500 12-Volt Cordless Air Station Inflator: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator: Home Improvement

eBay India: Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator (item 270730641490 end time 04-May-2011 19:10:42 IST)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks