Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 20:17   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown

Quote:
About the tyre - since RFTs are covered under insurance and it will be symmetrical in handling as other tyres are also RFTs
Ya , you will be entitled for 4 Tyres every Year under Secure & your claims will be processed on pro-rata basis after measuring the left over tread but please note that this claim will be restricted to 4 Tires that are mentioned in your Insurance + these tyres should not be repaired ( no pucture repairs ) - I am not sure if they will cover the 5th one in the policy . I my X6 there is a space saver which is extremely useful and I will recommend you to wait for the space saver - because of low profiles on my X6 - I had to use this twice without any trouble -
Old 20th April 2011, 21:48   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Ya , you will be entitled for 4 Tyres every Year under Secure & your claims will be processed on pro-rata basis after measuring the left over tread but please note that this claim will be restricted to 4 Tires that are mentioned in your Insurance + these tyres should not be repaired ( no pucture repairs ) - I am not sure if they will cover the 5th one in the policy . I my X6 there is a space saver which is extremely useful and I will recommend you to wait for the space saver - because of low profiles on my X6 - I had to use this twice without any trouble -
Interesting point - but where exactly is it mentioned which tyres are covered? My Secure certificate has just the VIN number and insurance is also regular policy letter. No mention of tyre details anywhere.

Somehow I am unable to come to terms with any option that will put me in limp-mode on highway. Boot space is a real premium, but cost of tyre etc (even without insurance) is OK by me. I mean having come this far and hit the rock bottom, what's a mere 16K for RFT

Now RFT vs Tubeless: to be honest, I like RFT concept. I had hell lot of punctures on my Laura and I changed tyres in very inappropriate/awkward situations. Once a repaired tyre's 'plug' came off suddenly, fortunately I was doing low speeds and even TPMS didn't flash when all this happened too suddenly. At one other time I had to change the tyre in a very busy street and under pressure I ruined a anti-theft bolt and the hub threads - did cost me a bit. I have no complaints against RFTs - its the lack of wheel well that is the real arrogant design choice by BMW.

Long post, but what I am trying to say is: I would prefer a proper tyre and don't mind spending, boot space hurts more than cost of proper spare.
Old 21st April 2011, 08:36   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting point - but where exactly is it mentioned which tyres are covered?
These are mentioned internally in there System - I am very sure on this , you can crosscheck with dealer .
Quote:
put me in limp-mode on highway
Quote:
Now RFT vs Tubeless: to be honest, I like RFT concept
So 80 -100 Km/hr that you can travel on RFT is slow ? if you like the concept then you should use it to maximum , RFTs are designed that you should not worry about tires getting flat - German roads are deteriorating faster than our Roads are improving , last fortnight I encountered one of the worst road patches about 5 Km from Frankfurt Airport & BMW is selling more & more cars in developing countries..

Stop worrying about flat tires and enjoy your drive - You get 4 Tires free - and the best part is the No Claim Bonus is not lost on Basic insurance even if you claim these ( Only NCB on Secure will be affected )

I drive about 5000-7000 Kms a month on these cars and have never been struck for tire and once in a month or so I travel Delhi - Kandla / Vadodara segment
Old 21st April 2011, 13:39   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

60k+ for a spare wheel kit is stupid money, frankly! The space saver spare wheel kit on my e60 costed 20k and works just fine. You use it only in emergency for a few kms, hours or max a few days so paying such money is a waste.

Wait for the space saver wheel incase it has not arrived for the F10 yet or look over BMW forums to get the specs for the F10 space saver. You might be able to find a steel rim in the local tyre market for a fraction
Old 21st April 2011, 14:19   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
These are mentioned internally in there System - I am very sure on this , you can crosscheck with dealer .
Thats good to know. Makes sense, otherwise I can potentially get a friend's RFT replaced under secure claiming it is mine!

Quote:
So 80 -100 Km/hr that you can travel on RFT is slow ?
More than the speed, it is the distance that can be covered that will be an issue during outstation trips - it could be 500KM one way and not sure of the nearest BMW support point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
60k+ for a spare wheel kit is stupid money, frankly! The space saver spare wheel kit on my e60 costed 20k and works just fine. You use it only in emergency for a few kms, hours or max a few days so paying such money is a waste.

Wait for the space saver wheel incase it has not arrived for the F10 yet or look over BMW forums to get the specs for the F10 space saver. You might be able to find a steel rim in the local tyre market for a fraction
I asked around for a steel wheel, but not getting lucky.

I need a spare kit in place by 05-May as I have a bit of out station travel after that.

I found one slightly repaired but usable E60 wheel (style #244) for sale, but I am not sure it will fit F10. The tyre is yokohama advan sport but has a bulge so might require replacement. Asking price is 10K, probably negotiable. Here is the picture:
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-bmwe60244.jpg
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:29   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Some update:

1. Car had terrible finish - tons of hard water spots, hazing left by cheap-and-dirty polish job. Got the detailing done. Details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post2336847

Sample pic after the detailing (Black rocks while it lasts!):
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-20110430bmwpolishimg_4548_fl.jpg

2. Bitten the bullet and bought the full wheel spare. Will post boot space impact pics soon. BMW uses platinum for wheel balancing weights and gold for tyre valve. Here is the invoice:
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-picture-5.png

3. Got final number plates but realized the front bumper doesn't have holes to fix the screws. Way to go BMW!! Would hurt me to drill holes, will go for a sticky tape option I think.

4. Next week is the 9hr one-way drive - let us see
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:38   #67
Team-BHP Support

Androdev, I don't think you can fit the number plate directly on the bumper. You have to buy the plastic surround and that should fix on the outer holes. The number plate fixes inside that.

Something like this.

http://www.utsav.co.in/new-product.html

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd May 2011 at 23:42.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

WOW that's a huge bill.
But am sure you feel better going ahead with it, especially since you have a long drive ahead.
Wishing you the best for your first long drive
Drive Safe.
Old 4th May 2011, 07:58   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a proper family trip to attend a marriage with luggage, child seat and the works. Family will judge the purchase and I will either get patted or booted based on its performance. I eliminated the RFT disadvantage by buying a spare, so the odds are in my favour
Old 4th May 2011, 08:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Androdev, I don't think you can fit the number plate directly on the bumper. You have to buy the plastic surround and that should fix on the outer holes. The number plate fixes inside that.

Something like this.

Clients Testimonials:- Auto Number Plates
How do you fix the plastic surround on the bumper?
Old 4th May 2011, 12:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Its a proper family trip to attend a marriage with luggage, child seat and the works. Family will judge the purchase and I will either get patted or booted based on its performance. I eliminated the RFT disadvantage by buying a spare, so the odds are in my favour
First and Foremost, it's good to hear that you have a child seat and will be using it on the trip.
Definately a Pat on the back for the brave decision of going with the Full size spare.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 12:47   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
How do you fix the plastic surround on the bumper?
I saw plates being fixed on an F10. And they used high security plates, put inside that plastic thing Vid showed us. Then that was stuck to the bumper using double sided 3M tape. Should be fine if you ask me.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

FYI my front number plate is fixed onto the bumper without any plastic plate. Two holes drilled neat into the bumper. Just came that way. Never really thought about it. Just slip some foam between plate and bumper though, else dust and tiny pebbles which get stuck between the two surfaces tend to scratch the paint. Honestly there is nothing wrong with drilling two holes in the bumper, although if I had a choice, I wouldn't.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:21   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Update after my first long drive.

First some bad news. Wiper stalk is broken.
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0126damage.jpg
Repair cost estimate is 38K for part and 3-4K for labour. Only the plastic casing is broken, wiring and functioning is intact. Quickfix (feviquick?) sort of adhesive didn't work. A.s.s is yet to get back if this is covered under insurance. How it happened? Without getting into the details (personal), some idiot wanted to pull the key and our driver told him there is no key for this car and that moron pulled the wiper stalk thinking it is the key. Funny, but expensive :-) I always hated this keyless stuff - needless sophistication.

Some accessories:
Spare tyre and jack - details provided in my previous post. Here is a pic. We were able to travel full-house in spite of the spare wheel. We all used soft bags and not hard-case type of baggage. Need to buy a cover and rope harness for the tyre so it doesn't look so ugly. The white stuff is a car cover bought from Polco (details in my previous post). Spare wheel doesn't come with wheel cap BMW emblem (sucks!)
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-img00037201105091408spare.jpg

Portable inflator (Rs.1600) and analogue pressure gauge (Rs.500). Kennedy brand. Made in UK. Good quality except the inflator valve is made of plastic, but good quality. BMW OEM inflator has a nice brass screw-on valve (kit costs 12K?) The analogue pressure gauge is very good. Highly recommended compared to the digital ones that don't last long (based on my experience). The inflator quality is good, but makes lot of noise and takes longer time/psi than I expected. Manual foot pump is a better option in my opinion.
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-img00040201105101644inflator.jpg

About the drive:
-2.0L diesel is not refined relatively (but cheaper by a million bucks so guess it is OK)
-Automatic has that initial hesitation or lag for quick overtaking. But easy to learn to factor that into your overtaking calculations. Still a negative. So except this kick-down bit, the AT is very nice.
-Excellent ride - suspension, steering, ride, etc. In comparison to Laura, the steering and RWD difference is immediately noticeable. Cornering is superb, I was generally limited by the G-force I was willing to make my family experience.
-Ground clearance is a huge huge issue. I never ever bothered about GC while driving Laura. With this car, I had to be extremely careful on all speed breakers. Not cool!
- The seats are better suited for 6-footers I think. The wrap around comfort is not much for smaller body frames. Especially the arm-rest on the driver's door is very far for my arm to rest!
- Speed, power, etc. Other than the lack of refinement (relatively), the car has lot of GO. Way beyond what a responsible driver would need on Indian roads. I haven't really done any high speed stuff but think I touched 160 without much fuss.
- AT+RWD+BMW: it can't get better on the ghats and twisties
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-img00032201105081304onroad.jpg
- While on the road: everyone gives way to this car. It's a good thing that 520D badge is on the rear ;-) I am not exaggerating if I tell you that others feel a sense of urgency to make way for this car.
- While parked: gets too much attention from passers by. I parked the car in front of the hotel while checking in and it happened to be a tourist spot and lot of people were posing and taking pictures in front of the car. Some idiots were even sitting on the bonnet! Had to request the hotel staff to park the car immediately. The car looks beautiful (forget the cheap cell phone pic).
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report | EDIT: Transmission Breakdown-photo0158hotel.jpg
-mileage: Was not paying much attention but maybe around 14kmpl on highway and 10kmpl in the city.
- Kids can really mess up a car. It was a like a garbage bin by the time we got back from the trip.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 22:14   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  242.png
Views: 7416
Size:  28.7 KB
Source: RealOEM.com * BMW F10 520d Switch unit steering column

This whole part needs replacement to fix the broken wiper stalk!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks