Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Love, Life & Linea

Friends, it has been a month, since my new Linea came home. I wanted to pen down once i got, but i thought i will wait till i drive it for a month so that I will get to know her better, after all it is going to be a part of my life and share all the good’s and the bad’s that I have to drive. (Due thanks to AKS Karthik, Khan Sultan and other Linea owners for inspiring me to start a thread)

A Brief report about the car and the buying experience:
Make: FIAT.
Model: Linea.
Fuel: Diesel.
Variant: Emotion Pack
Color: Fox Trot Azure.
Dealer: True Sai, Karur (TN).
Discount and Accessories: Mat, Wurth Sun Films, Insurance and Extended Warrenty.
Dealer Interaction: Good.
Sales Person knowladge about the car: Pathetic.
Car Delivery: Smooth.
Car Cleaning at Delivery: Horrible.

Part 1: Love

Machines; Have a great deal of fasicnation for them from my child hood. Any Metal that moves has always got my attention from the day I knew who I was. My first ride at school was a bicycle (6 – 9 Std) “Blue Flame” from BSA, have a long memory of that and still I have it with me.

I have done maximum level of attrocities with that cycle so it really has a special place in my heart, Period.

Next comes the Red Wings, Luna Wings (8 – 10 Std). Man it was one hell of a ride for me. It used to thrill me and my friends , unplanned short rides were there almost twice a week in and around Karur. I was also petly called “Wings Ninja”. I hope you guys understand how you will feel like when you have a name around your ride.

The carvings for Power led me no where, I did call all the gods and demons to help me and my Luna would not cross 40 Kmph, I would cycle once it reach 40 (For the people who don’t know LW, it can be motor driven as well as pedal driven) though it would not cross 40, it was something that was self satisfying.

After all the praying and shouting (Please include: Crying, begging, Cuddling and what all we do to get what we wanted from Parents) there was hope once I finished my 10th. Here comes the New Hero of the Town, Hero Puch.

It was a Black Hero Puch Sakthi, my first LOVE, my first skid, my first wheely, my first BABE!!! It has been long gone and I still miss it, I have throttled it to the core and it has NEVER let me down in any kind of situation. I don’t know how many travelogue I can write with this vehicle, the fantastic was a one day trip to Kodaikanal (180 Km) from Karur, It is almost 16 years still it is fun when I think of those days. My high school days were wonderful (10 – 12 Std).

College days: Bangalore: No Problem “Suzuki Samurai”. Fun filled years from 96 to 00. But was using the bike till 06. Was one heck of a bike (Still have it and gave it to office people for their use). I think it should have crossed 2 L kilometer and still doesn’t cost me too much to maintain. It really is a No Problem bike!!! Cheers TVS.

Finished College and back home.

Part 2: Life

Iam still a biker at heart, but things have changed and my waist bulged like tyres and laziness creeped in and my need increased from a 2 wheeler to a 4 wheeler, and my wedding was around the corner, so planned for a small city car – The Alto!

I should have written a Real-View about the Alto, but to be very frank, I was little too lazy and people like Ganesan were doing a real good job with their thread.

Servred me very well for 4 years and the arrival of my son increased the necessity for boot space, so had to upgrade to a sedan.

Search almost started about 6 Months back!

Started Looking for a pratical alternative, the criteria was, it has to be a diesel ( I clock around 2500 Kms a month) and fully loaded. The first choice was Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Verna and Fiat Linea. I was very much intrested in The New Fiesta and followed the thread by Mustang 101, but my need was very urgent, son being born 6 month back and I HAD to decide a car by January. So, I did not have any option other than to rule out Fiesta and Verna (Was expecting the new Version’s by January)

Ruling out the other two, started planning for Linea. Bank work and other paper work went smooth and the key’s were in my hand on 23rd Feb. The car was a January 2011 make “AMZ” did check with Wildon and got it confirmed.

Part 3: Linea

This is going to be one long post and going to cover long term ownership report.

Things I Liked in my Car.
1) Sleek and a Stylish looking Sedan. (Though i would say the best look is from the back)
2) Comfortable seating and spacing. (I'am 5'7", it fits my bill)
3) Voice controlled Audio and Phone is a life saver. (Have to improve my Americanized English Accent though.)
4) Handling: Rock Solid.
5) Not much of noise in the cabin.
6) Exhilarating cornering. (A trip to Kodai did change my perception on the car) Now i get what GTO and other people say about Handling!!!.
7) Fuel Efficiency: 15 in Town and 19.5 on highway. My average speed in highways is around 100 - 110, yet to give it for the 1st service @ 5000 Km. (The best i got so far is 22)
8) My Car function is really useful for some one like me, i keep fiddling with the trip meter and other controls of the car.

Things i can live with
1) I almost bled when i tried to take a chocolate from the coin holder, Bad plastic quality though, need to be careful!
2) In consistent panel gaps around the dashboard area.
3) Loud Engine fan
4) Music quality (Not a music buff, but still i think better sound reproduction would do much better)
5) Seat Belt buzzer, really annoying at times when taking for a short drive ie: When i don't wear a belt.
6) Real annoying turbo lag at ghat's. No, i don't complain at the plain's.

Things i don't like
1) Seat's attract lot's of dust.
2) No Bottle Holder's.
3) The wiper gives a screech when using it.
4) There is a squeak noise coming from the rear (Hopefully on the back between the glass and the seat area, no not from the rear window curtain)
5) Pathetic Ground Clearance, but got used to it now. Now i know where all to slow down or change course.
6) The controls of the ORVM's don't fall easily into hand, i end up pressing the front power window button. Annoying!!!

The rest of the review and day to day issues will follow slowly. Thanks for Reading.

Niranjan / SD
Old 7th April 2011, 12:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love, Life & Linea

Nice review mate! Congrats on the Linea & drive safe.

How about some pictures!?
Old 7th April 2011, 12:15   #3
BHPian

@ anachronix, Thanks for comment. Photos and more about the car will follow soon.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:07   #4
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Drive View Post
Seat's attract lot's of dust.
Congratulations and best wishes, Smooth Drive, on becoming a proud owner of a lovely Linea. Yes, the fabric seats attract a lot of dust, hair, etc. You can vacuum-clean the seats and use upholstery cleaner spray regularly to keep them clean.

Old 7th April 2011, 15:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Linea. You will fall in love with the car by driving it more. 5K kms and still no first service. Get it done ASAP to stop the guys at the *** to start talking "Warranty Void"

Enjoy many more happy miles with the car.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, Smooth Drive, on becoming a proud owner of a lovely Linea. Yes, the fabric seats attract a lot of dust, hair, etc. You can vacuum-clean the seats and use upholstery cleaner spray regularly to keep them clean.
Ravi, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
on the Linea. You will fall in love with the car by driving it more. 5K kms and still no first service. Get it done ASAP to stop the guys at the *** to start talking "Warranty Void"
@ nkrishnap, iam yet to cross 5000 Kms, Have clocked around 3500 Kms so far.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations smooth drive for your new Fiat Linea. Very nice review but please add pictures ASAP. Fiat Linea is among the best looking car available in C segment IMO, it’s a head turner for sure. Keep the thread updated with your service experience. Drive Safe.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Smooth Drive. liked your introduction part, how you graduated from a humble bicycle, Luna, Hero Puch, Alto & then a Linea. I think most of us have grown up in a similar fashion. When I landed in my first job I used to cycle to the company (for the first 3 months) on my Dad's 35 years old bicycle. I then purchased the BSA Champ cycle with my own money & continued on it for a year. After finishing probation period I was eligible for an interest free two wheeler loan, when I bought my first automobile, a Bajaj Caliber (still going strong after 12 years). When I tied the knot & had my first baby, within 3 months of the newborn, I purchased my first car.

Coming back to your thread, there's been no update on this thread from you since April. I sincerely hope your Linea is still rocking & you are so engrossed in her, that you are not finding time to update this thread. As some members requested, we are yet to see how your Linea looks in pictures. To start with please upload her pictures asap & then pen down your experience so far. Hope you would oblige
Old 4th October 2011, 23:29   #9
BHPian

@Smooth_Drive: Linea thread without pics??? Sir please upload the "eye-drooling" pics ASAP.

Most Viewed