Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 10:37   #31
BHPian

Re: '95 Premier 118 NE Petrol - The Journey Begins!

There was one of those beuties at a place near my home and I used to stop by coming back from school. Congratulations for living your dream. There is nothing better than this.

Keep us posted on the progress the car is making.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
the car jerks a lot while releasing the clutch which is kind of annoying me. It does the same drama as if there is no fuel in the car and it is coming to halt.
Cheers!
Have you got the Petrol Tank and the Filter Cleaned, I doubt the petrol is not being supplied properly and that may be causing the jerk.

Is it a Mikuni or Hitachi Carb you have got in your NE?
Old 1st May 2011, 15:41   #33
BHPian

@advaitlele :- Thanks for your wishes!

@GreenDay: - Thanks for your inputs! That is exactly what I did for the first half of the day on Saturday!

Well, as for the update, here it goes :-

I have been driving the car very morning and have been feeling a jerk while driving it. So thought of cleaning up the carb, air filter and the plugs. Come saturday, I along with my father got down to the task.

First thing to open was the big air filter sitting right on top of he Mikuni carb.

The moment I opened it, I could see it was not serviced for a long time. It had a lot of dust and oil all over it.

So, carefully removed the top half of the carb and menatlly making a note of how things have been screwed together, as I would need to re-assmeble the carb again!

Cleaned the entire thing throughly with petrol and dried them clean using a cloth.

While putting it back, I messed up the entire choke part and now it is not functional. Not that it was earlier, but now it is completely out and the parts are kept safely with me. It will be attended to at my next visit to either the mch or Ilango (Whichever happens first!!!)

Also noticed that the pipe which attaches the air filter to the engine head is broken and right now the air in engine head is un-filtered. That is maybe the reason why I was hearing a suction noise which I had mentioned in my earlier post.

There is another pipe which comes from the bottom part of the carb and I do not know where it connects to as it even that is broken. So for the time being it is left as it was.

Cleaning the plugs was un-eventful and went off fine.

I also wanted to check the tak-tak sound so thought of jacking the car up. But when I saw under body of the car, I could not dare to jack it up. It is all rust out there and fear that I might end up breaking it off with the jack. So even this is left as it is for now.

Cleaned my hands, had shower again, had food and now it was time to cranck the car for a spin. First crank, nothing happned, second crank anf the car comes to life!!!

My fater accompanied me for the drive and we both were satified with the job done. Back comes the car in the parking!

All in all it was very fulfilling saturday morning!

More updates will follow!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 15:44   #34
BANNED

Hey Congrats Dude.. Nice to yet another NE lover. I currently have 3 of these and enjoy to the core. Will be getting a 1997 Original Viceroy next week. Long live NEs!
Old 1st May 2011, 15:54   #35
BHPian

^ Three NE's??? Thats cool!! Do you have a thread dedicated to these cars? If yes, can you please pass on the link?

And if not, please start posting about them, and yes along with phoootuuus!!

Cheers!
Old 1st May 2011, 17:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
While putting it back, I messed up the entire choke part and now it is not functional. Not that it was earlier, but now it is completely out and the parts are kept safely with me. It will be attended to at my next visit to either the mch or Ilango (Whichever happens first!!!)
Good to hear your experience regarding the Mikuni Carburetor. I had posted pictures of the carburetor on the 118 NE thread. You may find it useful. Here is the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2325591

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Will be getting a 1997 Original Viceroy next week. Long live NEs!
Congrats and Welcome to the Viceroy Club!! I will now have company!!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:47   #37
BHPian

Thanks Rahul! I checked that thread and I am still unable to put it back together. I had mistakenly removed the spring which aids the motion of the choke. Now I am unable to put it back. :(

Update and a terrifiying one:

Yesterday in the evening I got a call from Ilango and after a small discussion he accompanied me to my place to have a look at the car. (Thanks buddy!)

Opened the bonnet and he informed me of the following things missing in the engine bay: -

1. There is no bolt for connecting battery to the ground.
2. The crank case hose (which connects the carb and the engine is missing). This will lead to unwanted oil spilage.
3. Air filter to engine head hose is missing.
4. A.C compressor motor is not connected to anything. (the belt which drives it.)
5. Wind screen washer box is missing.
6. And now the most horrifying of these all: Right side Anti-Roll Bar is missing. :O

Yesterday night, Ilango and I took the car for a spin and I told Ilango about the tak-tak sound. Guess what? That sound is coming from the speedo meter. the cable is rotating, but it is unable to show the reading on the meter. It is slipping out.

So after all of this, I did not take the car out today morning. Will be taking it to the mech by this weekend to get all the missing bits fixed.

Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. The crank case hose (which connects the carb and the engine is missing). This will lead to unwanted oil spilage.
3. Air filter to engine head hose is missing.
6. And now the most horrifying of these all: Right side Anti-Roll Bar is missing. :O
I have a few questions here. I think couple of symptoms could be a bit common on many NE's and overlooked by many of the mechanics and owners.

1) Whats this crank case hose and what does it do? Are new hoses available?
2) Air filter to head hose: I have seen this one. What does it do? Are new hoses available?
3) Whats this anti-roll bar?
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
1) Whats this crank case hose and what does it do? Are new hoses available? - Yes
2) Air filter to head hose: I have seen this one. What does it do? Are new hoses available? - Yes
3) Whats this anti-roll bar? - A C shaped rod that connects the lower wishbobes on both sides and the chassis frame in the middle.
Almost every vehicle with an individual suspension system has this. Reduces the roll of vehicle at high speeds.
Not to confuse rolling with roll-over.
Flight dynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rolling is the rotation of vehicle about the vehicles longitudinal axis. A typical roll of vehicle is felt while you take a sharp turn.

Marked the missing hoses in the attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
'95 Premier 118 NE Petrol - The Journey Begins!-cc_vent.jpg  

'95 Premier 118 NE Petrol - The Journey Begins!-cc_vent_2.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2011, 13:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ilango!

Could you please explain what these hoses are for?

I have noticed that in most of the NE's the crank case hoses are missing or in very bad shape. Mine too has several cracks and very visible traces of oil at the ends where they connect.

Are both the hoses available easily in the market?
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:53   #41
BHPian

Bump! It's been a very long time since we had any updates from ObsessedByFIAT. How is the car running? Please do post your updates and experiences with the 118 NE.
Old 22nd October 2011, 00:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Bump! It's been a very long time since we had any updates from ObsessedByFIAT. How is the car running? Please do post your updates and experiences with the 118 NE.
Hey buddy! like all good things come to an end, unfortunately this one too came to a very early end. :( I had to give away the car for some personal reasons.

I am left with the boring Figo.

There has not been a single day when the NE is not remembered or spoken about.

Now I am again in the "waiting" mode, waiting for the right time and this time it wont have to go ..

@Mods: This thread can be closed.
Old 6th June 2014, 00:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thanks Ilango!

Could you please explain what these hoses are for?

I have noticed that in most of the NE's the crank case hoses are missing or in very bad shape. Mine too has several cracks and very visible traces of oil at the ends where they connect.

Are both the hoses available easily in the market?
the reply is kinda late, but here goes:these hoses are for crankcase ventilation. basically the unburnt/halfburnt gases that LEAK past the piston rings into the crankcase below are sent back into the intake of the engine to reduce emissions. removing the hose will not do any damage to the engine as long as the port in the intake system is blocked and a long open ended pipe is attached to the crankcase side. But this would increase the pollution put out by the car.

The premier padmini, crankcase is vented into the atmosphere. If yours is damaged, replace it ASAP otherwise unfiltered dust particles will get into the engine and they can destroy the engine in minutes if you are unlucky

any hose that can withstand decent temprature and is nonreactive to volatile compounds can substitute it. Just dont run the engine without it. Take a straight hose of similar materials and install it if need be; itll be fine.
Old 6th June 2014, 00:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Later Fiat 118NE came with an electronic fuel pump I remember installing one from it in my CJ3B.

But the picture of this one shows a mechanical pump.
Old 6th June 2014, 12:02   #45
BHPian

i have a 118NE with Nissan petrol engine lying abandoned. i dont think i have the time to restore it. what should i do with it. i know it was giving 17km/lt in highway

Sri

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks