Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 10:59   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

Hi Ani,

The front plastic bumper should have two rectangular slots which open to the metal portion of the bumper. If you show the same to Prabhu's men, they will fabricate the spot lamps holders for you. Just ensure that you have strong holders with rubber packings on either side to keep your lights shake free.
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend I went to Chikmagalur for a small vacation and stayed in a Coffee Estate. Did some offroading with the Getaway wherein I got chance to engage the 4H and then while returning 4L for certain very steep sections.

I engaged 1st gear in 4L mode and was amazed at the tremendous amount of torque. Most of the steep sections were tackled either in 4L-2 or 4L-3. Some videos

Old 25th June 2011, 17:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend I did a weekend trip to Chikmagalur and the Tornado actually was a revelation.

Highlights of the trip:
  1. On the onward journey the Tornado returned a 11.13 KMPL mileage. First time in double digits since the time I got it home.
  2. The roads from Hindupur upto CKM as mostly non-existent and are car killer. I hit the left lower arm on one of the mud mounds while entering a Village on the highway. If Getaway gets abused, imagine the plight of smaller vehicles.
  3. Sunday evening visited the Estate and used the 4L extensively. Videos taken during the estate visit already uploaded in the previous post.
  4. Sunday evening had a n incident when a tractor with loaded sand trolley and without brakes came and side swipped into me while going downhill. There is a dent on the loadbay with broken wheel cap and the right rear bumper coming off.
  5. The extended hill run along with offroading in the estate took a tool on the mileage and that section Tornado returned a mileage of 9.47 KMPL. Till before the trip the best mileage ever accorded was 9.41 KMPL on a highway run. Looks like the engine is opening up nicely.
  6. Had a decent run till Blr and thereafter from Chikkaballapur was hit by strong cross winds making the Tornado twitchy at high speeds and during overtaking. This worsened after Kurnool, wherein I had to drop my speed upto 80kmph. Thereafter rains hit and the spray from vehicle ad reduced the visibility.
  7. While parking at Shamshabad at Hyderabad House, realised that on turning on the ignition both 4H and 4Low indicators are coming on and not going off. Only after engaging 4L and then 4H was the light going off.
  8. As the Tornado after the trip stood at 4915 Kms, called the ASC about the problem and they got the vehicle picked up for 1st Service and getting the 4X4 Switch checked.
  9. The Friendly SA took multiple TD and found the problem. Tornado was put on a Scanner and the Error Code stated Transmission. The problem has now dissappreared and the Error Code has also been removed. I have been told to monitor and report back to them incase of any unusual signs. I was also told by the FSA that ASC is not allowed to fiddle with Transfer Case and other 4X4 add-ons.
  10. Since the dented part in the Tornado has a few decals, I found out through my research that individual components are also available and one neednot order the whole set as costs a bomb.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Loved the videos Anida. The Getaway seemed to handle the narrow muddy trail of the area pretty efficiently. Though taking a tight turn might have been difficult i guess. Sorry to hear about the damages.
BTW, what are your observations on the ride and handling when the rear is loaded and empty?
Old 8th July 2011, 17:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

1st Service & 1st Warranty Claim

Tornado went for its 1st Service immediately after coming back from Chikmagalur. Mahindra in the beginning of the year introduced new grade oil and changed the service schedule for both Bolero and Scorpio. Unlike previously when all the lubes, filters had to changed at 5K service, now for Scorpio (both CRDe & mHawk) only Engine Oil/ Oil Filter and Differential Oil needs to be changed. I got both the diff oils changed and the bill came to Rs.24xx/-

The vehicle was returned to me last Thursday and the 4X4 switch problem again raised its ugly head on Friday morning. Called up the ASC and they had the vehicle picked it. The problem has been identified to some sensor in the transfer case. Since they don't have the part, I'm told to drive it ( Tornado is stuck in 2wd mode). ASC will change the part the moment it arrives.

BTW during my underbody inspection, the 4X4 relay and switches to the transfer case are open and exposed to the atmosphere. Any idea how to fix this so that water doesn't play havoc with the 4WD switch.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:03   #81
BANNED

Wanted to ask this for a while , how does the steering ( & handling ) works when the tub is fully loaded ? WRT a sizable overhang

Asked this because you also had a normal 5 door wagon , so whats the notable difference

also do you have any comparative data on the handling of both the vehicles ,on a same track/ route ?

Sudarshan
Old 8th July 2011, 19:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Wanted to ask this for a while , how does the steering ( & handling ) works when the tub is fully loaded ? WRT a sizable overhang

Asked this because you also had a normal 5 door wagon , so whats the notable difference

also do you have any comparative data on the handling of both the vehicles ,on a same track/ route ?

Sudarshan
Saar,

I once had 9 adults in the load bay and only 2 in. I could feel that the front was not too happy. But with 5 people and 1 inside the cabin, the front lifting feeling wasn't there.

Also handling of the Getaway is much more taut due to the extended wheelbase and lower CoG. Plus the torsion bar setup also reduces the body roll.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:54   #83
BHPian

Re: 1st Service & 1st Warranty Claim

Aha! 1st Warranty Claim. M.C. Vs M&M 1-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
BTW during my underbody inspection, the 4X4 relay and switches to the transfer case are open and exposed to the atmosphere. Any idea how to fix this so that water doesn't play havoc with the 4WD switch.
Are you talking about the area shown in the first pic below or the second pic? Photos are from the thread Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community-
4.html.

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-x1.jpg
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-x2.jpg
Old 11th July 2011, 19:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

^^ The first pic I think is of an AOC (Auxiliary Oil Cooler) from a Scorpio - AT, the 2nd one is of the oil sump at the front. The TC is way back, towards the end of the T/M tunnel casing.

Spike
Old 12th July 2011, 10:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the 4X4 relay and switches to the transfer case are open and exposed to the atmosphere. Any idea how to fix this so that water doesn't play havoc with the 4WD switch.
A quick fix would be to coat the contacts with silicone (cheaper - @Rs125 per tube) / polyurethane (@ Rs.300 per tube) windscreen bonding adhesive. Can be removed easily later by peeling off. In any case, the contacts etc. are way up from the ground (about 10 inches above sump level), and you need to be going seriously OTR in water to drown those contacts (by which time you'd have drowned the hubs, clutch, diff, engine breather pipe etc. in water and got an expensive repair session on your hands).

@Spike: This pic is from the TC & GB area, right?
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-abcd0002k150.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 10:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

^^Right, I can see the filler plug, speedo sensor, so this is definitely the TC of a Scorpio 4x4 (Electric shift).

Spike
Old 12th July 2011, 11:08   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A quick fix would be to coat the contacts with silicone (cheaper - @Rs125 per tube) / polyurethane (@ Rs.300 per tube) windscreen bonding adhesive. Can be removed easily later by peeling off. In any case, the contacts etc. are way up from the ground (about 10 inches above sump level), and you need to be going seriously OTR in water to drown those contacts (by which time you'd have drowned the hubs, clutch, diff, engine breather pipe etc. in water and got an expensive repair session on your hands).
Doc, the issue with my 4X4 selector switch happened after a highway run in medium rain. I suspect the water spray reached the solenoid and since then it has gone wonky. Waterproofing that area atleast will eliminate these flimsy faults.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:45   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ MC, IMO the fault should not be linked to driving in the rain - lots of 4x4 electric shift M&Ms including mine do such runs in rain, and it's just bad luck that a sensor failure happened. That said, waterproofing in the manner I described is not a difficult or expensive thing to do, nor detrimental to the components being coated. Spike, any difference of opinion?
Old 12th July 2011, 11:52   #89
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Doc, the issue with my 4X4 selector switch happened after a highway run in medium rain. I suspect the water spray reached the solenoid and since then it has gone wonky. Waterproofing that area atleast will eliminate these flimsy faults.
This is a fundamental issue with switch-based transfercases. Everytime before I use my Safari 4wd switch I say a little prayer. Last week when it sunk into a mudpit due to the rains it worked. But the time before that while crossing a river it didn't and I had a tough time. And mind you there are no repairs/changes that are done. This switch just has a mind of its own .

Am going to try this silicone sealant and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 12th July 2011, 12:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
^^ MC, IMO the fault should not be linked to driving in the rain - lots of 4x4 electric shift M&Ms including mine do such runs in rain, and it's just bad luck that a sensor failure happened. That said, waterproofing in the manner I described is not a difficult or expensive thing to do, nor detrimental to the components being coated. Spike, any difference of opinion?
Agree, it is not the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Am going to try this silicone sealant and see if that helps. Thanks!
Silicone sealant, where?

Spike
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks