Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 12:05   #91
AVR
BHPian

re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Silicone sealant, where?
Spike
On all the contacts that are exposed. Let me go under the Safari one of these days and post the pics. Then you tell me where
Old 12th July 2011, 12:17   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Silicone sealant, where?
Smear the silicone/PU windscreen adhesive material over the contacts etc. to form a rubberized coating that would repel water. Once set, the rubber would peel off if the need to remove it arises someday. Would it work? I don't know, haven't tried it on my own vehicle, nor felt the need to till now (I don't go fording deep rivers - the deepest I have ever taken the vehicle into water/mud is below hub level. I'm terrified of mud getting into brakes and bearings, and would hate to open up and clean the stuff out.)
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Problem in my 4WD selector was narrowed down to Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor. The replacement part finally arrived after 1.5 months and it was replaced under warranty. While the part was being changed, seeing how the couplers are exposed and open to the elements, it wouldn't be very difficult for water to seep into the relay and conk out the costly sensors. I'm very soon going to get waterproof coating on all these parts.

Also aabout a week back, I had noticed the tyres (especially the right tyre) rubbing the balancing road. While in the workshop, got that checked as well and was told that stopper nut on the wheels need to be adjusted. As the stopper bolt had got grazed, I was asked to get them replaced. Even though these bolts are classified as wear & tear part, I refused to pay a single penny and they were changed under warranty as well.

The tornado saw some OTR action on Sunday where it assigned to pull out Ardy Gypsy from a water body where it was submerged
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_4203.jpg

Slowly Tornado is making its mark as the Recovery Vehicle.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:22   #94
BHPian

Glad to see you are really enjoying the GA! The 'go anywhere' capability that a 4WD gives, is truly a liberating feeling isn't it? Previously in the storm you might've felt 'handicapped' at times? I know I did when I had the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
seeing how the couplers are exposed and open to the elements, it wouldn't be very difficult for water to seep into the relay and conk out the costly sensors. I'm very soon going to get waterproof coating on all these parts
Strange! Are the designers at M&M overlooking such simple precautionary measures assuming that the owners of expensive SUVs wouldn't dare to get their feet (tyres) really wet & dirty?!
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Strange! Are the designers at M&M overlooking such simple precautionary measures assuming that the owners of expensive SUVs wouldn't dare to get their feet (tyres) really wet & dirty?!
This is, atleast the Getaway, is not an SUV. Its a Pick-UP truck aimed at the Export markets as a load carrier vehicle. I wonder what M&M was thinking.

Cheers
Old 24th August 2011, 22:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Slowly Tornado is making its mark as the Recovery Vehicle.
The Video of Gypsy recovery. The rear wheels got stuck in deep slush and after a few jerks only did it go forward. And the whole operation was done on 1st Low which provides the maximum torque to the wheels

Old 25th August 2011, 12:31   #97
BHPian

Aren't those guys standing too close? Could have been mighty dangerous if the tow line had snapped.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Aren't those guys standing too close? Could have been mighty dangerous if the tow line had snapped.
Yes I agree! Furthermore there should be a weight on the towing line/strap to avoid any kind of injury due to towing line snapping.

As we get started with proper OTR small things like these needs to be inculcated as well to the viewers.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been updating this thread as the Getaway is doing well. It crossed 8000 Kms day before yesterday and the first tragedy struck yesterday.

Came down to the parking and sat in the car to go to office. The vehicle was parked on an incline loose ground (rear on a higher point) and while trying to revers, the vehicle just wouldn't move. Fearing that ground might have given in, got down to see that front left tyre punctured. As in fully flat. I had moved the vehicle about 0.5 metres from its original position.

Anyways left the car and took Nano to fellow TBHP-ian Vnabhi who gave me a tyre inflator. Tyre inflated, realised that there was a small crack and hence leak on the side wall. Went to the Tyre shop, got a tube put and placed it as a stepney.

Coming to the bigger problem on hand, Getaway runs on 245/75 R16. This is a very rare size and only JK manufactures this size. The tyres are absolutely crap especially in terms of traction on loose ground. I was thinking of moving to A/T's but now that is ruled out if I want to stick to stock size.

245/70 R16 which comes in Endy does have Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama et al but all of them are HT.

So what are my options?

Cheers
Old 15th October 2011, 18:04   #100
BHPian

the 245/70 R16 is having a rolling circumference which is just outside the advisable 3% of your original 245/75 R16

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 4 of 4

Last edited by dockap : 15th October 2011 at 18:06.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 19:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
the 245/70 R16 is having a rolling circumference which is just outside the advisable 3% of your original 245/75 R16

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 4 of 4
the best tyre as per international users is 265/70 R16 but the biggest problem is the tyre hitting the edges.

Any other solution like importing a tyre?
Old 18th November 2011, 11:58   #102

Hi MC,

I have a month old Bolero VLX and it has a 'gear-slotting' issue, i.e. only the slotting is hard but the running is fine. It was there from the start (in 1,2 & R) but the sales executive as usual said it'll become soft with use (why do all SE think the customer doesn’t know what he is talking about).

I took it to the ASC and they did a clutch bleeding but as usual managed to make it worse (it now occurs in 3rd gear also). It is the hardest when cold. After about 10 odd KM it is easier but the issue is still present. The SA doing the work dint even know the VLX had a 530. He kept arguing it is a 520 GB.

They have asked me to leave the vehicle for a couple of days to rectify it but when I asked how they are going to fix it (over phone) the SA said MnM asked them to open the GB and fix it. I personally think it is a clutch problem. And also mentioned to him to replace any part under warranty and no 'fixing'.

I wanted a heads-up from you as to how to approach the problem and make sure they dont end up 'fixing' stuff rather replace. It would be very very helpful if you could spare me a few min and your phone number.

Thank you in advance,

Madhu

PS: Sorry all, MC's Strom tread is since closed and I can't PM yet.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:44   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu.rj View Post
Hi MC,

I have a month old Bolero VLX and it has a 'gear-slotting' issue, i.e. only the slotting is hard but the running is fine. It was there from the start (in 1,2 & R) but the sales executive as usual said it'll become soft with use (why do all SE think the customer doesn’t know what he is talking about).
This is not a clutch issue else it would have been there in all the gears.

BTW how much has the vehicle run?

You can mail me on anirudha.basu@gmail.com

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2011 at 14:51. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire, long message as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 16:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

2nd Service Report

I haven't been able to update this thread much lately. Even though Tornado had a few issues, I was not getting time to get them fixed.
Finally "Tornado" aka Scorpio Getaway 4WD checked in for its 2nd service at 10582Kms at M/s Automotive Manufacturers Pvt Ltd's workshop at sharp 9:15 am on December 17, 2011 with prior appointment over phone 2 days ago.

The things that needed to be taken care were:
1. 10K service
2. Transmission Oil Change
3. Vibration on idling on the steering wheel.
4. Low pickup felt on cruising on 4th gear.
5. Central Locking has developed a mind of its own.

Even though the job card was opened within 5 minutes of arrival and Road Test done within the first 30 minutes, the vehicle didn't move from the initial waiting area till 10.15am. Checked in at washing area at 10.45am and finally at 12PM came out of the washing bay.

Finally at 12:45 on raising serious hue and cry with the Works Manager ( I have the reputation of being a rabble-rouser with connections and they generally try to stay clear of me) the SA did get into action. Vehicle got a hoist and a technician at 12:55 and then the lunch siren blew.

Post lunch the vehicle was done but the issue with steering vibration couldn't be solved. Once the vehicle was raised on the hoist and the skid plate under the GB was removed, I realised that ASC had not fixed the rubber properly inspite of my telling them umpteen times to do so. Also while checking the vehicle, found the balancing rod becoming chikna. The SA tried The stopper bolt had to be changed on the right wheel as the rubber head had scraped off and the SA tried to argue that it was a wear and tear issue. On giving the SA again my piece of mind, the bolt was changed quietly.

After the Transmission Oil was changed, I kept the oil can for further use. The can had a rate of Rs.443/- whereas the bill from ASC mentioned Oil for Rs.513/-

Wonder if this is how ASC's are swindling customers on various parts and consumables.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Punctures!

The Getaway is running on JK - Tyres and I have had two punctures in 12K Kms. And one sidewall damage. Very bad traction on loose soil or gravel. Absolutely hopeless tyres. I had thought of changing the tyres but therein lies my dilemma. 245/75 R16 in India is only made by JK Tyres. However, I see some good options from Geolanders and BF Goodrich internationally. Plus cheaper as well.

So my question is, is it possible to get tyres imported or purchased online and delivered as the economics may just work out:

Quick Price Comparison
  1. JK Tyres 245/75 R16 - 6300/Tyre
  2. Yoko Geo 245/70 R16 - 10.3K/Tyre
  3. Yoko Geo/BF Good Rich /KUMHO A/T 245/75 R16 - about USD 125 -140 /Tyre
So can the Guru's please let me know how much would be the customs and shipping by sea cost?

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks