Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 11:53   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

MileCruncher:

How often do you use the load bay?
Does it serve any practical purpose in the city?

Do you still use the "tonneau cover"? Have you considered a more water proof kind of solution.

I am asking these questions because the new Tata Xenon with the 3.0 engine is looking very tempting. But I am a single car oops truck guy.
The doubt plaguing my mind is, "What if I have airport duty and its raining?".
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 14:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
MileCruncher:

How often do you use the load bay?
Does it serve any practical purpose in the city?

Do you still use the "tonneau cover"? Have you considered a more water proof kind of solution.

I am asking these questions because the new Tata Xenon with the 3.0 engine is looking very tempting. But I am a single car oops truck guy.
The doubt plaguing my mind is, "What if I have airport duty and its raining?".
To answer you questions:

I use the load bay quite often. To haul my cycle both in city or outside. Recently went to Bangalore for a Brevet and had 5 bikes packed nicely on the rear load bay.
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img00036201207061513.jpg
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_4834.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_4831.jpg

As regards to practical solution, it depends on what is your definition of "Practical". Yes the Getaway is a LONG vehicle. Longer than the Mahindra 20 Seater School Bus. Turning it around is a little difficult. However its only about a feet longer than the latest gen Honda City.

The Tonneau Cover is pretty water proof and the water doesn't come inside while the vehicle is being driven. However with Xenon there are lockable lids that are available that can totally close off the load bay section. You will need to cover the load bay as it does cause drag at highway speeds and reduce speed/mileage.

As a matter of fact even I'm a single vehicle guy and the Getaway is my daily drive. I do get a raised eye brow here & there. Apart from the guilt feeling of hogging precious road space with such a long vehicle, its perfectly fine. Wifey drives the Getaway as well sometimes and gets curious stares .

With the Xenon, please check the load bay length.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 14:10   #108
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a Lot.

I forgot to mention, I spotted your getaway being driven down First Lancer. I think it was last Sunday. Looks neat.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I forgot to mention, I spotted your getaway being driven down First Lancer. I think it was last Sunday. Looks neat.
Was dropping a friend on the way back from Bangalore.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

The Getaway had its 20K service a few weeks back and I had a long drive thereafter. Got a mileage of 12.13KMPL on high way driving. This is the max till date.

More details later.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Travails of a Private Pick-up Truck Owner

As mentioned in the previous post, over the extended weekend decided to travel from Hyderabad to Vizag. Since the four laning of Hyd - Vijayawada section of NH-9 is almost complete, the route decided was simple. NH9 to Vijayawada and NH5 thereafter to Vizag.

My travails started when I hit the first toll booth just before entering Vijayawada. The toll operator wanted to apply LCV/LGV rate on the Getaway because they saw a load bay. My saying that it had a white plate (colloquial term for private use vehicle) didn't cut much ice. Thankfully was carrying the original RC and showed it to booth operator. The supervisor was called and I was finally charged the car/jeep/van rate. This rigmarole continued over the 6 toll booths to Vizag and on all the 7 booths while coming back.

Even though I have travelled quite a few times on the NH-7 to Bangalore, never faced any issue of this magnitude barring once when my reply of "White Number Plate" was sufficient.

So all those interested in buying a pick-up truck please keep this point in mind.

Cheers

P.S
: The Getaway returned FE of 12.13KMPL for onward journey and about 10.75KMPL for the 200Km hill drive of Vizag - Araku - Vizag. Hyd - Vizag was done at consistent speeds of 90-100 Kmph because of too much traffic. Return leg will also return a mileage of 12+kmpl (tank not yet empty) as speeds were slightly higher in 100-120KMPH range.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 3rd October 2012 at 13:05.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 23:32   #112
BHPian

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of Getaway rock sliders/side steps to fit on my Bolero, but apparently Mahindra doesn't sell Scorpio parts over the counter.

Can anybody help? I am in Bangalore and my Bolero is almost ready to be on the road with its new makeover. Just these rock sliders are missing.

Oreen
Old 29th October 2012, 23:19   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To answer you questions:

I use the load bay quite often. To haul my cycle both in city or outside. Recently went to Bangalore for a Brevet and had 5 bikes packed nicely on the rear load bay.
Attachment 955041
Please explain how you tether the cycles in the load bay - I'm waiting to take my kids' out for a li'l adventure, but have not figured out how to tether three cycles down. I wouldn't want the cycles or the vehicle to be scratched. Thanks!
Old 30th October 2012, 11:19   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Please explain how you tether the cycles in the load bay - I'm waiting to take my kids' out for a li'l adventure, but have not figured out how to tether three cycles down. I wouldn't want the cycles or the vehicle to be scratched. Thanks!
Very simple. Put a rubber or styrofoam sheet on the load bay floor, turn the cycles upside down and then tether through rope or tube to the hooks at both end.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:38   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of Getaway rock sliders/side steps to fit on my Bolero, but apparently Mahindra doesn't sell Scorpio parts over the counter.

Can anybody help? I am in Bangalore and my Bolero is almost ready to be on the road with its new makeover. Just these rock sliders are missing.

Oreen
Are you sure? I was able to procure parts from India Garage service center for my friends car in Kerala. All they asked was the Chassis and registration number.
Old 30th October 2012, 16:57   #116
BHPian

Hi I finally managed to place an order for the parts. I need it for my Bolero, so the chassis and registration number wouldn't work. Hopefully it will arrive within a week.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

27200 Km Update

The Getaway aka Tornado went for 25K Km service to the ASC with 27200Kms on the odo. Things done were:
  1. Full visual check
  2. Top up of fluids
  3. All brakes opened and cleaned
  4. All body bolts tightened
  5. Washed and vacuumed thoroughly
  6. Alignment machine was not working so it done outside at a reputed tyre shop.
Went in at 10AM and came out at 3:30PM. Washing / cleaning took almost 2.5 Hrs

Cost: Rs.585/-
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:20   #118
Senior - BHPian

Re: The pitfalls of owning a tall vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Will try both 4.3 and 4.55, may be the one with Mhawk also, problem is this model is very seldom made for domestic, yes export is more regular.

Spike
Sir,
Why do we have the Getaway still with the old 2.6 liter engine whereas the SA model gets the 2.2 MHawk engine? Any particular reason for the discrepancy?
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

That is because of bean counters at work, defying all logics. It is a silly reason that they are pickups sold in export markets. Please keep the Sir aside.

Spike
Old 4th November 2013, 12:12   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
That is because of bean counters at work, defying all logics. It is a silly reason that they are pickups sold in export markets. Please keep the Sir aside.

Spike
Spike,
Would there be any chances we get to lay our hands on the 2.2 Scorpio Getaway? The one that is exported?

http://www.mahindra.it/it/product/ma...goa-pick-up-dc

Am sure you would be knowing this better but still posting the link for other's benefits.

Last edited by ku69rd : 4th November 2013 at 12:13. Reason: Spelling mistake
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks