Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 10:38   #31
BHPian

re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

Congratulation Sir.
Excellent snaps of your beast. Can we have some interior pics also??
How is the riding comfort?
Is it better then your Bolero?
Leg Space?
Old 18th April 2011, 11:03   #32
BHPian

It was an amazing experience going to suryalanka in the getaway the best part was standing in the loadbay and MC driving it through the waves the water was splashing like rain.

Also observed that the rear seats and leg room in the getaway is exactly same as scorpio,Sat in it for 800 kms without any trouble and there is almost nil body roll in the vehicle.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:52   #33
BHPian

Awesome pics. Where are the ones which were shot with people in the load bay. I need to add the AC works better than anything I have seen in cars, The best I should say. We had a blast on the sea drive.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:59   #34
BHPian

Ani, the Tornado looks awesome, especially on the Beach. Amazing. Good to see you putting a good use of the Volleyball net there.

I had a query: With the long chasis, how did Tornado perform on the bumps and potholes? Was it flying over them or we could feel those bumps?
Old 18th April 2011, 12:41   #35
BHPian

I rode on the back seat of the "Tornado" for close to 800 kms over all kinds of roads during our drive to Suryalanka. We drove over good roads, twisty/curvy roads, off-road, potholed roads, bad roads, no roads and still the ride at the back was surprisingly comfortable. There was very little body roll with a smooth ride quality. The ride did get a lil bumpy once or twice when MileCruncher refused to let the bumpy roads or minor speed breakers slow down his progress. Arcot can also confirm that the padding on the roof of the Getaway is also very soft since his head almost touched it when we went over a bump at high speeds and unfortunately Arcot was not belted in at the time.

There is a lot of legroom and headroom at the back, and the back support is great even though the rear seatback is not adjustable.

Special mention of the AC. Even though it was terribly hot outside and there being no sunfilm on the vehicle, the AC chilled the cabin quickly and the two adjustable ac vents in the middle, near the feet of the rear passengers, helped things quite a bit.

The best part of the Getaway was when a bunch of us (7 people to be precise) rode in the loadbay of the getaway to the beach and back. We had the time of our life and the shutterbugs among us felt great to be clicking away to glory without any visual obstructions. The local people were staring at us wondering why we were being herded like cattle in the back of a truck.
The next best moment was when MileCruncher went crazy driving the "Tornado" on the beach, in the water, kicking up quite a splash, literally. And we were standing in the loadbay holding on to dear life (to the rod, actually), wind in our hairs and water splashing on our faces. Hats off to 4x4.

All in all, congrats to MileCruncher for buying the awesome vehicle that is the Getaway. Superb go anywhere vehicle for 4+ people through any terrain in any weather. We had a great time at the back, but not as much as you had driving it!
Old 18th April 2011, 12:53   #36
BHPian

Have you considered getting a cargo net or at least tie downs. The hooks have been provided on the bed.

You might also want to get a waterproof tarp cover stitched for the cargo bay to keep baggage dry while driving in the rain. How does the bed drain? does rain water collect in it?
Old 18th April 2011, 13:00   #37
Team-BHP Support

Once again congratz MC. How heavy is the vehicle? and any plans of chopping the tail length?
Old 18th April 2011, 14:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Super stuff, TBHP-Hydeez gang! The pictures and description indicate you had a great time.

@Ani: You may have done this already but ensure you get Tornado cleaned thoroughly. Prolonged exposure to salt water wouldn't be good.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th April 2011, 14:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good Pics there! missed it as wifey was traveling and I had to do parenting over the weekend.

Some pictures prove the norm in Hyd TBHP- "only Ani can do it"!

Good fun!
Old 18th April 2011, 14:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Running - in Completed: 1000 Kms update

Thanks everyone for the compliments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
How is the riding comfort?
Is it better then your Bolero?
Leg Space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I had a query: With the long chasis, how did Tornado perform on the bumps and potholes? Was it flying over them or we could feel those bumps?
I think this should answer the most of the queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I rode on the back seat of the "Tornado" for close to 800 kms over all kinds of roads during our drive to Suryalanka. We drove over good roads, twisty/curvy roads, off-road, potholed roads, bad roads, no roads and still the ride at the back was surprisingly comfortable. There was very little body roll with a smooth ride quality. The ride did get a lil bumpy once or twice when MileCruncher refused to let the bumpy roads or minor speed breakers slow down his progress. Arcot can also confirm that the padding on the roof of the Getaway is also very soft since his head almost touched it when we went over a bump at high speeds and unfortunately Arcot was not belted in at the time.

There is a lot of legroom and headroom at the back, and the back support is great even though the rear seatback is not adjustable.
Further proof of the stability of the vehicle is that during both to and fro, the luggage in the loadbay didn't move an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Have you considered getting a cargo net or at least tie downs. The hooks have been provided on the bed.

You might also want to get a waterproof tarp cover stitched for the cargo bay to keep baggage dry while driving in the rain. How does the bed drain? does rain water collect in it?
I do intend to get the tarp cover done. The volley ball net was a stop gap arrangement but actually came out during this trip in flying colours I have modified it to covere the entire load bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How heavy is the vehicle? and any plans of chopping the tail length?
The kerb weight is 2050 Kgs and the GVW is 2650 Kgs. And no plans to chop the rear over hang. Not atleast for the next 4 years while the Tornado is under warranty

Initial Driving Impressions:

Continuing the tradition started by the Bolero, I wanted to complete the running-in in the first week itself. So plan was hatched with a few other Hydeez to visit a nearby beach where we can all cool off and the Tornado can stretch and use all her feet. In the long 800+ Kms drive few things that I noticed are:
  1. It doesn't have the thrust of the Storm may be because it weighs 2 tons+ (Kerb weight) while the Bolero weighed around 1500 Kgs.
  2. The Getaway has high speed stability and because of the long wheelbase and lower CG, there is almost zero body roll. Made it easy to chuck into extended curves at 3 digit speeds.
  3. The rear bench being well within the rear axle, doesn't feel the bounce unlike the Bolero or the regular Scorp.
  4. AC: Whatever you say is less. As the cabin space is lesser than the regular Scorp, the cabin gets chilled faster. 95% of the trip it was running on AC Lo setting with fan on speed 2, max -3.
  5. Had fun engaging the 4H on the beach and splashing water!

Overall I'm quite getting to like the dynamics of the "Tornado". Suits my needs to the T.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:02   #41
BHPian

@MC:Now that you have tested the Tornado in sand and sea, please get the vehicle pressure cleaned to avoid the effect of salt water and sand particles in the underpants.
They are known to create diseases if not washed out soon.
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 15:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
  1. It doesn't have the thrust of the Storm may be because it weighs 2 tons+ (Kerb weight) while the Bolero weighed around 1500 Kgs.
  2. The Getaway has high speed stability and because of the long wheelbase and lower CG, there is almost zero body roll. Made it easy to chuck into extended curves at 3 digit speeds.
Please be careful when you execute such manoeuvres on your Scorpio. There are certain things I do on a Bolero which I never dare to replicate on a Scorpio. Drive safe.

Spike
Old 18th April 2011, 15:16   #43
BHPian

Congrats on your tornado.Only one word to describe it:magnificent.It looks superb in the beach.Get HIM some alloys .Nice pics.
Drive safe
Sreehari
Old 18th April 2011, 16:30   #44
BHPian

Re: Dealership & Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Mods planned:
  1. Vinyl/ Waterproof tarpaulin load bay cover
  2. Hella's
  3. May be roll bar.
  4. 4.55 Drive Ratio and LSD
Overall I'm loving the vehicle and it does turn heads on the road and am loving it
Congratulations MC. He looks like HULK. Must have been amazing on the highway.

What difference would Point 4 make to the current characteristic of this vehicle?

MaSh
Old 18th April 2011, 20:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats AB, Tornado looks awesome
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks