Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 07:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

3 months back I was in the market looking for a 4X4 and after various permutation and combinations decided on the Mahindra Scorpio Getaway 4WD. The journey to this decision is documented in detail on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...d-getaway.html

I was informed on Saturday by the M&M Regional Head that I will be given delivery on Monday 11th April 2011, but on the designated day 2PM, Area Manager called to inform that the trailer carrying my vehicle was stuck outside Hyderabad city limits due to no-entry and would enter the city limits only after 6PM. Hence he requested me to postpone the delivery to the next day. By now I had had enough of BS from the LAO (Local Area Office) and decided to put my foot down. Made it clear to him that I wanted the delivery on Monday itself. Do whatever it takes to get it done. The strong stance worked and a driver was sent to the trailer to get the vehicle unloaded, get PDI done and it was at the dealership by 7.00 PM.

This was when I saw the “Tornado” (yes that’s what he has been named) for the first time.
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img00007201104112024.jpg
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img00008201104112025.jpg

The M&M Area Manager along with the GM of the Dealership delivered me the vehicle at 9.15 PM to get the Tornado home.

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_3136.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_3144.jpg

I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-img_3147.jpg
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 07:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dealership & Initial Ownership Experience

The Getaway was initially booked with M/s AML Motors in January 2011 but the order was cancelled with them after they gave away my designated vehicle to some one else. Since the bank finance and everything was already done, I have moved my order to M/s Automotive Mfrs Pvt Ltd, Ranigunj, Hyderabad, the parent company of AML Motors. I interacted with Mr. Kranthi - GM and Mr. Prashanth - SE and both of them were pleasure to deal with.

The cost of the vehicle is as follows:
Ex Showroom - 914504
Life Time Tax - 110000
Insurance - 29820
Ext warranty - 9999

I took delivery of the Tornado with 37 Kms on the odo and it presently stands at ~ 300 Kms and my initial impressions are as follows:

Positives:
  1. Its a huge vehicle but doesn't feel so.
  2. Very refined with no vibration filtering into the cabin unlike the Storm. Hence I can use the IRVM.
  3. Lotsa gadgets in the vehicle and especially after driving the bare bones Storm, this is a welcome change.
  4. Negligible body roll inspite of its humongous size.

Negatives:
  1. Turning radius of 6.3m makes it par with oil tankers and taking an u-turn on narrow Hyd/Sec'bad roads is definitely an acquired skill.
  2. With an empty load bay, the vehicle does become a bit bouncy but its not as bad as the Storm!
  3. Driver seating position is not too comfortable for short people. Bolero scored very highly on this.
  4. No mudflaps for rear tyres provided by company
  5. The front fog lamps create a separate lighting zone with the high beam, hence can't be used together. With dipper its not a problem at all. I think this is a generic Scorpio problem.

Actually come to think of it, I haven't been able to find any more negatives.

But considering that the my vehicle is a Dec 2010 and was standing in the company stockyard, there seems to be a few problems:
  1. The wiper washer pipe had loosened and was coming off. Had to use a fastener to secure it in its place.
  2. The front driver side window is loose thereby making a noise while closing the door.
  3. The fuel lid lock is not aligned properly. Requires some work to close it. Since it uses the same key as all the other locks, plan to get it changed to a stand alone lock.
  4. The decals between the left front fender and the door are misaligned.

The dealer has asked me to note down all the small issues and they will get sorted at one shot when I take it to workshop next week.

The Getaway comes without ICE though the provision/wiring is there to fit them. Since I'm not too much of an audiophile, I wanted a plain and simple HU and 4" speakers for front and 6" speakers for rear. Selected Kenwood HU 346 and was quoted Rs 8K for the package in Minister Road, Hyd. After a round of negotiation, got the same fitted from the dealer at 7.1k.

I was also looking for net for the load bay but since couldn't get the right size, a fellow Hydeez - Sabby suggested using the Volleyball net to DIY. I used his advice and its come out pretty decent.

Mods planned:
  1. Vinyl/ Waterproof tarpaulin load bay cover
  2. Hella's
  3. May be roll bar.
  4. 4.55 Drive Ratio and LSD

Overall I'm loving the vehicle and it does turn heads on the road and am loving it
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 09:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!

Hmmm.....Congratulations once again!

Your car looks awesome and I know that you would send in your detailed reports regularly.

Happy Motoring!
Old 15th April 2011, 10:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dealership & Initial Ownership Experience

F i n a l l y....

I was following your booking thread and hoped for the good news whenever there was an update. Must say M&M did all it could, NOT to sell the vehicle!

Anyhow, now that its in your garage, after ages, congratulations! and hope it serves you well in years to come.

Looking forward to more Leh-ish travelouges from you now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
... But considering that the my vehicle is a Dec 2010 and was standing in the company stockyard, there seems to be a few problems ...
Did you get any additional discounts for this?
Old 15th April 2011, 10:14   #5
BHPian

Congratulations, Ani! Drive Safe and have miles and miles with the Tornado.

Now, I know one person for sure in the OTR circuit. Lets plan OTRs :-)

Cheers
Old 15th April 2011, 10:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice but the pics are crap - don't do justice to it. You had 3 days to shoot it!!! Looks like u've been driving it not shooting it

Maha congrats - its a very adored vehicle!

DQ: How do you park this behemoth?
Old 15th April 2011, 10:31   #7
BHPian

Congrats Ani, at last you got it. I have few questions:

1. Is there any change in the numbers (Torque & Bhp) from regular Scorpio ?

2. T-Case is manual or electrical ?

3. mHawk or the old 2.6 Crde ?

4. Last but not the least, kitna deti hai ?

Cheers and Enjoy your ride.

-Rajesh
Old 15th April 2011, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Congrats MC, I know the Tornado will keep you happy. All the best. Looking forward to meet tweety and tornado, man that makes it TNT.

Goodluck.

ML
Old 15th April 2011, 10:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase. Drive safe. The car deserves some better pictures, but I'm sure more is to come later. Congrats again.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:21   #10
BHPian

Congrats Ani, for a bit looked like we wouldn't be reading your ownrship thread!! Good to know the Volleyball net thingy worked out.
You need to put up better pics though, guess this weekend drive is the perfect opportunity for that.
Wish you luck with the Tornado!
Old 15th April 2011, 12:22   #11
BHPian

Congrats MileCruncher. This weekend's drive will provide the perfect opportunity to snap great pics of the "Tornado". The beach being the perfect opportunity for snapping a 4x4 in the wet waters of the Bay of Bengal.
It'll also give us a chance to gauge if the rear seat comfort is as good as advertised.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Anirudha. Finally, it comes home and even a review report is up soon. I too personally feel it deserves crisp pictures to justify its raw beauty.

I hope to experience it during the weekend in mud, slush and beach sand

Keep updating with regular updates with lots of "good" pictures.

P.S: Btw, I think atleast for this vehicle you should use a "I Drive Safe" sticker to help you adhere to it
Old 15th April 2011, 13:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the wishes. I'll be taking some good pictures over the weekend especially since we have a few shutterbugs accompanying us for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Did you get any additional discounts for this?
Oh yeah, quite a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Now, I know one person for sure in the OTR circuit. Lets plan OTRs :-)
Oh yeah, let's do that sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
DQ: How do you park this behemoth?
The "Tornado" just about fits in my office parking space as you can see here.
I gotta Get-away!!! - Scorpio Getaway 4x4 EDIT : Now SOLD!-tornado-parking.jpg

BTW, DQ = Difficult Question or Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
1. Is there any change in the numbers (Torque & Bhp) from regular Scorpio ?
I'm not too sure about the old 2.6 CRDe numbers but this one generates as per OM 109BHP and 270 Nm of torque.

2. T-Case is manual or electrical ? Electrical

3. mHawk or the old 2.6 Crde ? old 2.6 CRDe and hence is a BS-III vehicle

4. Last but not the least, kitna deti hai ? No Idea. Will check this weekend and tell you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
It'll also give us a chance to gauge if the rear seat comfort is as good as advertised.
When did M&M advertise the Getaway or its rear seat comfort. Heck they don't do that for the Scorpio as well.

But let me say there is enough room in the vehicle and if you cant fit in the rear seat, you'll definitely fit in the rear load bay!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 15th April 2011 at 13:38.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:01   #14
BHPian

Congrats Ani. Now, its time to swirl up some more Tornado's. Storms are a passe, its Tornado time now. Driving this wicked creature on Hyderabadi Roads would be a tough task for sure. Lets do a Charminar Drive someday. Would be fun for sure.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats MC, for the Tornado. I heard yoiu created a storm in the teacup to have it delivered to you, right? Or should I say 'Tornado in a teacup'?

Nice pics and review. Keep posting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks