Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 19:15   #16
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Thar - my initial ownership report

Congrats on the purchase of one of India's best jeeps today. If you have some more moolah, take it to someone like Fazal at Hyderabad and UBS at Calcutta who can give you tips and help to completely overhaul its interiors and make it the way it actually should be.

I feel the Thar deserves it.

Drive Safe.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If you have some more moolah, take it to someone like Fazal at Hyderabad and UBS at Calcutta who can give you tips and help to completely overhaul its interiors and make it the way it actually should be.

I feel the Thar deserves it.

Drive Safe.
Are you suggesting this to Dhabar or to the owner of this jeep?
Old 14th April 2011, 20:52   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase,hope you can get the niggles taken care of. Do post some pictures

Thank you very much for the candid review, i'm sure will help other bhpians considering buying one (me being one )
Old 14th April 2011, 21:08   #19
BHPian

Congrats on getting a new vehicle. Your review again points out to only one thing- Thar needs a V2 with all the problems sorted out if M&M wants Thar to survive in the long run.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Thar'ed, and that is a well detailed and balanced report which captures the real customer experience. Really wish that all the small niggles are sorted out and you get the AC solution also from M&M at the earliest.

Just a friendly advice, dont do the AC install during monsoon, issues might not crop up unlike in summer

Looking forward to regular updates in this thread and seeing you and your 'ed sometime in BLR.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th April 2011 at 22:10.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:57   #21
BHPian

Firstly many congrats for being Thar'ed. It indeed is fun to have a brand new jeep of the showroom. Hard luck with the minor issues and hope you have a wonderful time with your Thar.

On the contrary I really wonder what was going on in the minds of M&M before launching the Thar. I mean they always knew what people wanted in it (after all the years of wait), atleast an AC. One of the most awaited jeeps in the country, they had all opportunity to rock the market. But may be Thar V2 can bring more smiles.

But it still offers a chance to own a brand new jeep. Thats compelling for sure!
Old 14th April 2011, 23:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post

What needs attention and improvement:

Shocking to hear the flaws on a brand new vehicle in just a few weeks of ownership. I hope Mahindra is reading this and the V2 is much better. I did like the Thar in pictures when I saw them first but looking at the interiors of a real one post launch put me off. So much so that I would have been embarrassed bringing it home and my folks would have said "You paid eight lakhs for this?"

My message to Mahindra, its year 2011 and you can surely do better than this. but I guess they know it already.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th April 2011 at 15:46. Reason: Please do not quote such a long post. Makes reading tough for our mobile users. Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 23:57   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Are you suggesting this to Dhabar or to the owner of this jeep?
You really need the answer?

Both. ROFL, no, actually I m serious.
Old 15th April 2011, 00:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@Tha'Red , did you notice any rust?. How is the paint finish?
Old 15th April 2011, 01:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

First of all congratulations! you are right the Thar is definately a head turner.
Glad that you are using this car as your everyday mode of transport.
Was quite shocking to hear so many things crop up on a brand new car though.
Most of the niggles you mentioned definately need ironing out. I am sure Mahindra will work hard on getting these niggles sorted out in the future. After reading your extensive list though, i don't feel i will be able to own the Thar. I am just to particular and small niggles really chew my brains up, not allowing me to enjoy the drive. I would like to have a test drive though. Always wanted to own a jeep. Infact on our recent trip to Goa (Summer) has suggested we rent a jeep or gypsy for a day. This was laughed off by my wife, who loves jeeps and wanted to own one too. Her reply was "Do you want to get baked?" I just muttered "We can use the Civic during the day, and take the jeep out in the evening" To this there was no reply. So maybe next time.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Congrats on buying the THAR. You indeed are the brave one !
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Since you have owned a Scorpio as well, do you think it's a/c components will fit in Thar engine bay? It might clear some doubts.
There is ample amount of space. I had seen a prototype with the compressor and piping last year. Check out the Bolero Storm or the Xylo mEagle. Only issue is the condenser upfront especially given the narrow area available for wind flow!

Quote:
Since its an older Scorpio engine sitting there i am sure there is a solution!
Sir, its not the older Scorpio but the mEagle engine that powers the THAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Why not use the network that TBHp affords and 5-6 guys get together and put your 7 lakhs a piece and import a Jeep Wrangler. I dont know exact figures, maybe someone can chip in with actual numbers, but you can legally import for approx 30-35 lakhs. The 5-6 of you can share the vehicle for 20-25% of the year (a realistic time you will get for a recreational vehicle anyways), and get into some kind of friendly agreement to share ownership time, maintenance, pay for own damages, etc, etc. Sure, the regular maintenance itself will be on a higher side in terms of both effort and cost, but easily doable. But better than local A.S.S, I am pretty sure.
I'm not sure that is a realistic option. Especially considering the most people who will be part owners in the given vehicle will want to use it for various off road events. Plus not all owners may want the vehicle to be used aggressively / abused at OTRs. To me this option is too impractical!
Old 15th April 2011, 12:41   #27

Congratulations on becoming Tha'Red and thanks for the candid review - it's a good expectation setting for those of use who plan to buy the Thar !

While the experience of owning and driving a vehicle like the Thar makes up for most of the niggles, they can get really frustrating in the long run - any plans on making changes to interior/exterior to improve things ?

Regarding @gthang's suggestion on procuring a 'time share' wrangler, I would imagine that it be more feasible to share costs across Thar owners to setup a Thar 'Chop Shop' - for fixes *and* mods

@n.devdath do you know of anyone in Bangalore who is good at redoing Thar/MM series interiors ?
RAV1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 12:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Have tried to capture my initial experience so far with my Thar, with candor....
Congrats on the Thar, Tha'Red ! It is looking awesome in red.
And thanks for the frank and balanced report about the vehicle.

Please do add some pics to this thread.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:19   #29
BHPian

Thanks everyone. I've no regret on this investment at all.

Am not planning any mods for now. Off-roading certainly is my wish and one of the reasons I made the investment. Need to convince folks at home. Having been a m/cycle rallyist earlier, urge to go off-road is high.

Will post pics when I get some outside the city, hopefully in some non-tar terrain. do expect Mahindra retrofitting changes to my vehicle, at no extra cost for those that are quality enhancements. New additions, I can pay.

BTW, the GB oil leak has not re-occured over 2 days now. That is a relief!

Goign by reactions from some of you, I think you want a Thar, but not able to decide when. Remember, if you have it in your heart but stuck in the mind, you know which eventually wins!!!!

Have a great weekend!
Old 15th April 2011, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2011 at 20:59.
GrayBerry is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks