Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 19:05   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km

My family's first stint with the Korean brand came in the form of the Hyundai i20.

Date of purchase: 30th Jan 2011
Model: Hyundai i20 1.2 Magna
Color: White
Odo reading: 4100

Why the i20
- Looks the part
- Spacious for a hatch
- Good boot space

Rivals I considered
- Maruti Swift : but the new one is coming, hence idea dropped
- VW Polo : almost the perfect car with the only issue being the slight lack of rear seat space (both my father and I are 6+)

How it has fared till now

1. LOOKS: 9.5/10Within the first two days, I got the i20 its first mod-job : a lovely set of alloy wheels with wider foot-print. The i20 as it is looks quite nice with typical European design lines. The second mod came in the form of window visors.
I personally feel the car looks brilliant, probably one of the best looking hatchbacks in India now. It also looks big as compared to some of the other hatchbacks around

2. INTERIORS: 9/10
For me, this was a strong point. I needed a spacious hatch and the i20 does its job well. I am 6 feet tall and yet dont need to push the seat all the way back. On a recent trip to Shimla, the boot was made use of and proved its space too. I own the Magna version which comes decently equipped for the price. Quality of fascia is top notch, the music system pretty ok (with USB) and the air-con nice. The stock stiching on the seat adds to a sporty touch. I also love the endless places to keep small things including a chilled glovebox.

3. ENGINE / PERFORMACE/ FUEL ECONOMY: 8/10
My daily running is usually around 50-60km and hence after a long mental battle, I finally decided to go in for the petrol unit. It is pretty smooth and the short ratios end up making the engine pretty responsive in traffic untill unless u are with a full load and with the air-con on. I do agree that it isnt the best 1.2L petrol in India in terms of performance but for me, it does its job pretty well.
It hasnt had an oil change yet (due in 2nd service) and yet it is returning 12.5 to 13kmpl in city with air-con.
On the Shimla trip, she returned 16.5kmpl on highways and 15kmpl during return including the hills.

4. SUSPENSION / HANDLING : 7/10
People love running down the i20 for its lack of handling abilities. However, that doesnt matter for me and Im sure it doesnt matter for 90% of the owners too. What matters is the light steering that is a delight to use. Suspension isnt the best around though I love its stable feel at high speeds, probably helped by the 195mm 15inch Yokos.

5. OVERALL: 9/10
For me, my money has been well spent. It feels like a big car, looks amazing, the engine is smooth, the gearbox likewise and the steering super light. I do feel the lack of outright punch sometimes, but on a daily basis, Im more than happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-i201.jpg  

Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-i202.jpg  

Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-i203.jpg  

Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-i204.jpg  

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 15th April 2011 at 19:11.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 : The "White Streak" kisses the 4000km mark

Congratulations Bunny on your Hyundai i20. Nice short and sweet report there along with good photos. I have seen your i20 pics on face book many times. What was the final OTR? Please do keep the thread updated regularly. Wishing you many miles and Drive safe.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:07   #3
BHPian

Hey Congratulations for the beauty , I really like those rims .
Mind sharing the price and made of them , what tyres you are using ?

Please share more pictures specially interior pics .
Drive safe .

: Are you the same Bunny who was cofounder of xBHP ?
Old 15th April 2011, 20:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Yes, he is the same person now working with Zee business. We see him on his show Zee velocity if i am correct.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:23   #5
BANNED

Nice review there! How's the A/C coping up with Delhi heat?
Old 16th April 2011, 08:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations Bunny on your Hyundai i20. Nice short and sweet report there along with good photos. I have seen your i20 pics on face book many times. What was the final OTR? Please do keep the thread updated regularly. Wishing you many miles and Drive safe.
Thanks Bluevolt.
Hmmm.. Dont really remember the final OTR! ex-showroom was about 4.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hey Congratulations for the beauty , I really like those rims .
Mind sharing the price and made of them , what tyres you are using ?

Please share more pictures specially interior pics .
Drive safe .

Hi Prashant. More info on the alloys can be had from - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2257708

Paid 14.75k for the alloys (set of four) and 4400 for upgrading the tyres
Yep, I am the same guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes, he is the same person now working with Zee business. We see him on his show Zee velocity if i am correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Nice review there! How's the A/C coping up with Delhi heat?
Thanks. Yes, I have heard mixed reviews on the A/C though as of now, it is performing well. Let the 'real' summers come!

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2011 at 21:52. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 17th April 2011, 12:54   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the I20. It looks great in white.Nice alloys .Please change the number plates to the high security plates.I will improve the car's look.Please upload some more pics.
Drive safe
Sreehari
Old 18th April 2011, 17:45   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Neat review & fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing. I don't care about the handling & steering feedback in a car aimed at the masses; the same masses that prefer a light, easy action steering compared to those heavy, hydraulic units that only the enthusiasts drool over. We have to understand who the car is targeting. The i20 may not be an outright handler, but I think it's as safe a handler as most cars out there.

The single grouse I have is the lack of punch with that 1.2 L. It is simply too puny for such a large hatch, even more so when loaded with 5 passengers. Hyundai couldn't even install a larger air-con compressor because they didn't want to load the engine up more. Otherwise, the car is one heck of a package with great space, high quality interiors, very high levels of refinement and equipment. No surprise that it's the segment leader amongst premium hatchbacks.

Drive safe!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Congrats on the I20. It looks great in white.Nice alloys .Please change the number plates to the high security plates.I will improve the car's look.Please upload some more pics.
Drive safe
Sreehari
Thanks for the pointer. And yes, pics are very much in the pipeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat review & fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing. I don't care about the handling & steering feedback in a car aimed at the masses; the same masses that prefer a light, easy action steering compared to those heavy, hydraulic units that only the enthusiasts drool over. We have to understand who the car is targeting. The i20 may not be an outright handler, but I think it's as safe a handler as most cars out there.

The single grouse I have is the lack of punch with that 1.2 L. It is simply too puny for such a large hatch, even more so when loaded with 5 passengers. Hyundai couldn't even install a larger air-con compressor because they didn't want to load the engine up more. Otherwise, the car is one heck of a package with great space, high quality interiors, very high levels of refinement and equipment. No surprise that it's the segment leader amongst premium hatchbacks.

Drive safe!
Well said, but as for the 1.2 being puny for the hatch, the Dzire, Polo, Jazz, Fabia, Figo all have a 1.2-litre and weigh more than the i20. I guess manufacturers have to stick to the small engine regulations to save on taxes!!
Old 14th May 2011, 10:32   #10
BHPian

6268km update:

Of late, I have been driving the “White Streak” a lot and just a few days back, it touched the 6000km mark. Here are a few more updates from my end
Looks: The i20 continues to be a good looking vehicle. Infact, my daily commutes involve the messy Gurgaon toll where crawling traffic results in wastage of 10-25mins. I have noticed that in such jams, people do end up staring at the car and the set of alloy wheels. I have also noticed the increased number of white i20s on the road. I guess it does look best in white!
Interiors: The interiors continue to be a good point for the car. It has on occasions taken five adults for decent drives and the comfort factor remains high. The steering is adjustable for both height and reach but the seat isn’t (this is the Magna version) which means the fair sex has a tough time seeing what’s ahead when behind the wheel. The quality of interiors is top notch and I am happy with the number of places to keep my stuff and the chilled glove box. The integration of the music system is perfect and overall ergonomics are top notch. There is a small storage place below the air-con controls, one ahead of the gear level and two behind. There is also another space behind the two cup-holders which can of use for rear passengers. The blue theme for interiors at night looks classy.
Engine: It seems to have opened up a bit now. The second service is due between 9000-10000: this is also when the car will see its first oil change which should further improve the engine. As of now, it feels butter smooth and responsive. I drove one of its main rivals a bit and immediately felt the smoother gearbox, smoother engine and a silent air-con. The i20 might demand a slight premium, but it’s worth it. I am regularly getting 12.5 to 13kmpl with full a/c and slow moving traffic including the 10-20min jams at the toll plaza. My daily commute nowadays ranges from 65-75km and the amount of time I spent in the car is over 2hrs : what makes life easier is the smoothness, silent operation of the engine, the lighter steering and gearbox. These things go a long way in making your daily drive comfortable and less annoying.
Ride, handling: My car is running on wider and lower profile tyres which does rob it of the quality a bit, especially at low speeds over rough undulations. However with another person on board and at speeds, the ride is pretty much good. I am love with the light steering and though it isn’t the most responsive out there in the market, I am happy with the handling – I don’t go pedal to metal on a daily basis! The Yokohama tyres have been performing well with just one puncture. Grip is awesome and even under hard and emergency braking, they haven’t locked up yet!
Air-con: This has been a datable issue but I am very happy with the performance. My windows aren’t tinted but I do use those stickable black screens: they works! The car shows outside temp of 43-46 nowadays and yet does a good job of cooling the insides. 8.5/10 for the air-con from my side. The Magna version comes with an automatic climate control system. The a/c, on low mode (full cooling) does put a lot on the engine and if you are driving with 3-4 passengers, you feel it. A small price to pay I guess!
Overall: Pretty much happy with the purchase. It has done 6268km in 104 days which translates into 60.3km per day. A diesel might have made sense on the savings front but then I wouldn’t have been able to crawl in traffic at 20km/h in 3rd or 35km/h in 4th. Shorter gearing does make the 1.2-litre petrol mill peppy though at the cost of highway economy.

The only downsides I see with my i20 petrol Magna are:
1. Fuel economy : Delhi is still cheaper as far as petrol costs go (58.3) and the running costs as of now are turning out to be roughly Rs 4.6 per km
2. Visibility for shorter drivers due to non-adjustable seat height and an overall low seating posture
3. Lack of punch with A/C and four-five on board

More and better pictures, especially of the interiors, coming soon.

MODS: Can you edit the topic name and change 4000 to 6268km please. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-img02224201105141012.jpg  

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 14th May 2011 at 10:34.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:06   #11
BHPian

Updated at 6450km:

The fuel economy stands at a shade under 13kmpl. This also includes having lunch in the car with the air-con on sometimes, spending 15-20km on the gurgaon toll each day etc. The air-con has been performing well in Delhi's peak summers (display shows 43-45 degree outside). One issue I have noticed is the vibration from the steering wheel at above 135km/h. This has, in most probability, got to do with the after market alloy wheels and the wider tyres I have on the car. Shall get this fixed asap from a tyre shop.

The chilled glovebox is becoming very handy in these summers! A few scratches have come up here and there and will be fixed this weekend from a garage (rubbing)
Old 26th May 2011, 16:54   #12
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km

Updated pictures taken on 26th May at over 7500km.
The i20 has now been with me for almost four months and its daily usage has now increased to 80-90km. I commute from Paschim Vihar to Gurgaon and back daily and the i20 in city conditions with the massive toll jam is still returning a 12-13kmpl. I guess the wider 195mm tyres are robbing it for FE! The last few days have been super hot and the air-con has been performing really well.
In the last few days, the alloys did take some beating due to massive potholes but thankfully they received no damage. The does pull slightly to the left though.

The i20 undertook its second big trip a few days back : Delhi-Jaipur-Delhi and came back with flying colours. High speed stability is very impressive and she returned 16kmpl plus for the trip with the aircon on. She continues to look good and the interiors continue to serve me very well - comfortable with high quality materials. I have yet to encounter any major issues including that of the rattling steering through potholes. The horn though could have been better!

As for the Yokohama tyres, on the Jaipur trip, I have to resort to hard braking twice - they didnt lock up : all I could hear was the slight squealing sound - thats it!

To summarize:
Plus points: Looks, interior space, cabin quality, stable feel at high speeds
Negatives: Lack of punch at high speeds with loads and a/c, FE could be better, visibility for smaller drivers
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-img_1224.jpg  

Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km-img_1221.jpg  

Old 27th May 2011, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 : The White Streak crosses 6400km

cool pics of a hot looking car with even hotter alloys!

Congratz bunnie and keep up the good work

Most Viewed