Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 22:40   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - An owner's honest perspective.

Quote:
I returned my Thar to Goel Motors, Mohali yesterday. It was a sad sad day
Did they returned you complete money ? what are they going to do with Car ? Were you trying to get this registered at Chandigarh or Mohali - I think Chandigarh RTO does not allow open Jeeps to be registered in fact if I am not mistaken you can be challaned in Open Jeeps - I don't know the rule though.

On a different note - were you Satisfied completely with your Purchase - if this registration is sorted will you buy this car again ? sorry for too many queries .
Old 18th August 2011, 08:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

I think Sandeep you should give registering in PB a thought.Though the callous attitude of mahindra on this is very very sad and shocking.It seems like BD Sir was the only proactive person in this company pushing people around to work. Now that he's left the real picture is coming out. If open jeeps are not allowed by the Chandigarh RTO, the same should have been informed beforehand to the customer. It is the duty of the Dealer to do so. Otherwise what good is his staff if he cannot even provide this much information.

Sandeep ji did you try at you end about the registration with some of the unofficial brokers at the RTO? If yes then what did they have to say about it.

You really had built a good relationship with your vehicle and were enjoying it as well. In my opinion you should give it a second try.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:57   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - An owner's honest perspective. EDIT : Now returned back!!

Extremely sorry to hear of your plight, I can only imagine what you must be going through after returning a Jeep that you so passionately brought home.

SHAME ON MAHINDRA! Is this the way a supposedly world-class company is run? Is this how you treat your fan base? Lifestyle vehicle, my foot. What's the point of all that marketing when Jeeps cannot even be registered with some RTOs. And why on earth was this vehicle sold to Janjua in the first place!!! Oh yes, it's your lousy "chalta hai" attitude from the monopolistic days. Wake up dudes, and RISE.

@ Janjua : Please take your business to a brand that actually appreciates your order.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 14:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - An owner's honest perspective. EDIT : Now returned back!!

The title seems to have been edited now : "...Now returned back" but no updates in the thread ?
Any updates, Janjua ? Has the dealer got the required documents for the registration ??? Any positive signs on this front ?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th August 2011 at 14:13.
Old 18th August 2011, 15:41   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
I returned my Thar to Goel Motors, Mohali yesterday. It was a sad sad day.

Janjua saab, this is a extremely sad experience thrust upon you by M&M. Be sure to rattle the great auto major by going to the press and television. You must surely go the legal way and demand for your dues along with compensation for the mental agony caused. All the best.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:19   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
The title seems to have been edited now : "...Now returned back" but no updates in the thread ?
Any updates, Janjua ? Has the dealer got the required documents for the registration ??? Any positive signs on this front ?
The car has been returned to the dealer, presumably for a full refund. That's what the thread title change reflects, albeit a little ungrammatically.

M&M was unable to register the vehicle with the RTO and as a result it didn't get registered even after 6 months of Janjua owning it. This is a sad day for Mahindra, and I hope Janjua got enough apologies from the company!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 16:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The car has been returned to the dealer, presumably for a full refund. That's what the thread title change reflects, ...
Oh, OK, thanx for clarifying, noopster !

I misunderstood it as 'the dealer had returned back' (after Janjua has given it back to dealer).
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 17:21   #98
BHPian

Message on Mahindra Thar FB page as quoted by Mahindra team : " Hi all! The Thar team is actively pursuing this case already. There has been a delay with the local authorities and it is being addressed. The process should take a couple of weeks and we ask for patience in this matter. In the meantime, we remain customer-oriented and will be interacting with Mr. Janjua further if he decides to purchase once we have approvals."

link : https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...=share_comment
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 18:22   #99
BHPian

very very sad...
This is indeed not how a customer should be treated.
M&M needs to tighten their belts!
Old 18th August 2011, 21:51   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
@ Janjua firstly sorry to hear about this . A sad end to the mighty Thar . Iam not sure how fellow Team bhpians have been able to register in other states. Please cross check maybe the dealer has done some goof up somewhere . Request fellow Bhpians who own and have regsitered thier Thar please shed some light so that our friend can drive his Thar peacefully . Wish you all the best .
Hi Fortuner71.
It was indeed a very sorry end to the story of my ownership of the Thar. While the vehicle was excellent, the attitude of M&M was deplorable. If M&M had not been so apathetic towards my cause, I might still have been a proud owner of my Thar.
M&M Story - Chandigarh being the capital city of both Punjab & Haryana does not have a Transport Policy of its own. The Chandigarh Administration follows what its counterpart in Punjab does. Since the Punjab State Transport Commissioner refuses to pass the vehicle on the pretext that it is a 7+1 vehicle, so it has to be registered under the 'commercial transport' vehicle.
In Punjab, the Thar is being registered under the MM540 code, which is absolutely illegal. Since, it is a different brand of a vehicle with a different engine, the idiots in Punjab are registering it under MM540. God forbid if any of these registered vehicles meets with an accident, the insurance company might not honor their claim because of this technical issue.
Goel Motors Story - We are helpless. It is up to M&M to resolve the issue with the government.

I have seen two Thars in Chandigarh bearing Chandigarh registration number plates. One is a black Thar with CH01AG number and the other one is Silver with CH01AH number. I don't know the last four digits of either one of the vehicles. When I questioned the RTO about this, he says give me the numbers and I will register your vehicle too.
So, BHPians in Chandigarh, if you know the vehicle numbers of the above mentioned Thar's please do post here or PM me.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is terrible. While it is decent of Goel Motors to have offered a full refund to Janjua, being asked to return a vehicle that one has used for 6 months just because of the company's failure to get it registered with the state RTO is ridiculous!

Things are different up North I guess- with most people riding around on temp registrations. I haven't seen too many of those around in Maharashtra at least. I may be wrong though.
Hi noopster.

I think this problem of non-registration pertains to Chandigarh only.
M&M say it is being wrongly registered in Mohali, Punjab. I don't know for sure what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Fortuner:

The first vehicle of any type has to be approved at every state RTO level. The dealer concerned hasn't bothered to do this in Janjua's state.
Hi 4x4addict, you are spot on. M&M never really bothered to get the Thar approved in either the State of Punjab or Haryana. Chandigarh is suffering because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Wondering how in all other states owners have no issues with Regtistration of the THAR!
It is unfortunate that you have been trapped in this rigmarole.

I am sure Mahindra will get this sorted out soon. Just keep writing mails and make calls.
I guess the best way to confirm this is to know what is written on the RC of the Thars in different States.
BHPian Thar owners please do post under what Name & Model is the Thar registered in various' States.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Janjua, its real sad to hear this but why did you wait for so long to have the car registered. I had faced a similar situation for my car and i had the registration done myself and in 2 weeks it was sorted. My car was the first in my state and city. The company took a week to give the code to the RTO so in this case it is your dealer who has been taking things easy. I would suggest you wait for a reply from Mahindra and your dealer, if things dont go well then approach Autocar or any other media house. The courts should be the last resort as you would not have your car till the time the decision is made.

Wishfull thinking my friend..From personal experience dealing with Mahindra i can say till you dont whip them they dont move. I had cancelled payment on 3 occasions and then my calls were returned with them begging me to take the car and that mine was the first Thar and all that jazz. I had them deliver my car to the office as assurance that the car was there and they were not fooling around, i also did the registration myself as they kept coming up with excuses. I dont think someone who is spending or spent 7 lakh upwards for a jeep should be treated this way and for sure this is not a collectors piece that you make it sound to be, its a mode of transport for some. So a person who owns the jeep and yet has to travel by other means of transport due to his car not being able to be registered would not appriciate this from any company forget mahindra. Where does the lesser and higher mortals thing come in context here my friend.
hi speedy.

Thanks for the concern. From April onward I have been regularly trying to pry out information from both Goel Motors and M&M as why the Thar was not being registered in Chandigarh. No one bothered to give a straight answer.
The standard answer was 'a matter of 7-10 days'.
I was stopped by traffic police on a number of occasions and twice the Sub-Inspector refused to let me go, threatening to impound the vehicle. He asked me to get someone from Goel Motors to talk to him so that he could know why the vehicle was not registered even after months of ownership. I rang up Goel Motors from the spot twice when this happened, but could not get past the receptionist even though I implored her to get some managerial level guy to talk to the traffic cop, but they refused to get some one online!!
I got fed up and simply took the decision to return the vehicle to M&M.
For no fault of mine, I was harassed and humiliated.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th August 2011 at 23:29. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 18th August 2011, 22:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Janjua saab, there are few other M&M dealers in LDH, ASR and JDR. please have a word with them about how they register the THAR CRDe.

are you trying to register in CHD or PB?

im sure if other thars are being sold and registered in PB then you should have no problem in Mohali.

on the other hand if you are unable to register in CHD, then its a complete different story as CHD is a UT and not PB state!

please hold on to the Thar for the moment.

please reply about registering the Thar in CHD or PB!

EDIT: please put your problem on FACEBOOK page of Mahindra Thar, they are very quick in getting in touch with you. they will surely help you out.

Hi Parm.

Like I have mentioned earlier in one of the posts that M&M told me that the Thar is being registered under the MM540 code in Punjab.
Also, some one gave me the suggestion of getting a fake 'Rent Deed' made for a Mohali address and then get the Thar registered. I had two reservations regarding this -
a) Why should I do a wrong thing? I had not stolen the vehicle to get it registered in this way.
b) I had already paid the Road Tax for Chandigarh, Rs 18,340
I was in a peculiar situation as you can see. On top of that a very callous Goel Motors and M&M made me come to the conclusion that I should return the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
I cannot fathom why RTO can't simply register it as a jeep, like they do for Major and Commander!
This is exactly how the Thar is being registered in Punjab according the M&M. But the company is so stuck up on their 'Brand' feeling that they claim it is illegal. Punjab STC has not yet passed the Thar for registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
The fact is code is nothing but the approval of STA(State Transport Authority)-
Mahindra is needed to get the STA Approval for Thar from STA & STA would be sending an approval letter to RTO to register the car.

You need to escalate this issue to Mahindra Official,even a dealership cannot sell a car which is not STA Approved in a particular state which the car would be registered.

Please don't leave the issue with dealer- it has to be handed by Mahindra Official as a file is made which would be having all the technical details of car like photo,leaflet,drawing & then STA would be verfying the Car & then only giving the approval.

I got STA Approval for a car in u.a,That is why I am aware of complete process in India.

In case you want any more details please pm me.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
You are absolutely right Anupam00. This is exactly what happened. Punjab STC has not approved the Thar for registration and the dealerships across Punjab and Chandigarh started selling these vehicles, which is again wrong.
I took it up with the Mr Anand Mahindra and Mr Pawan Goenka who in turn deputed Mr Thakur, the Regional Sales Manager to talk to me. Mr Thakur facilitated the return of my Thar to Goel Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Doesn't the temporary registration require a code? Dont know if its Mahindra's fault or the STA
No, the temporary registration does not require a code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
ohhh,that's really bad,is it going to happen to all the Thar's around chandigarh,i meant,there should be a solution to this?
what's the plan now,there isnt an alternative to the thar yet.
Still, no one knows when the registrations will start in Chandigarh. M&M say a month. Goel Motors say 10 days. RTO says God knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
Words Of Wisdom from AWD, Januja.I can understand your exasperation but don't think you should return your Thar.Believe me ,If I could turn the clock back I would never have sold my dear old classic 340 and bought the swift diesel,which I drive now.It's emotion and rightful indignation which is at work now--have patience and I am sure things will work out--.Take care.
I can empathize with you. I now know what a loss like this means. But frankly, M&M did not leave me any other choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What is so special with only that RT authorities. It is high time that a central approving authority is put in place and uniform law is enforced in all states. We proclaim that we are one but is distinctly different. Even crossing state boundaries and traveling in other state registration cars is fodder to the dirty khaki clan.

In Europe, crossing country borders for an EU person is as easy as hot knife through butter and out here it is hassles aplenty. harassment all around at its very best.
It would be really cool if things were like you have mentioned in your post. But, then what will our Babu's do for a living? Without red tape, they would be left with nothing to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
This is the most ridiculous situation I have come across on the forum recently. This is totally not acceptable M&M, I hope you guys do something special and see that Janjua gets his vehicle back. Its only fair that they do this.
Goel Motors have given me the full refund of the vehicle along with what ever road tax money I had paid. They have cleaned the vehicle and parked it in the showroom on the 1st floor. They also told me that once the registrations for the Thar started in Chandigarh, I had the option to buy it back.
I really don't know what I will do. Associating with M&M again is incomprehensible for me at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is so utterly (butterly?) unbelievable . I am sure there is some behind-the-scenes story to this (involving the MFR/DEALER/Local RTO), as an outcome of which a customer has to suffer. This can happen only in India. Shame on M/s Mahindra .
Yes Sir, I did suffer a lot. I could have waited for the registrations to start but the attitude of both Goel Motors and M&M was pathetic to say the least.
I as a customer was made to feel like a 'doodh mein makhi'. No one really bothered to talk to me.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th August 2011 at 23:30. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 18th August 2011, 22:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
I have seen one Thar in Chennai a month back.Smart looking gent was driving it on TTK Road around 10.00 AM. The vehicle had proper number plates if i remember correctly.
Wonder how he got it registered ?
Maybe RTOs in Chennai are bribable enough to drive around in a Lunar buggy IF u throw around enough cash.( my company works with 7 different govt depts of TN on a daily basis so pls take my word on the cash-for-anything scene).
Still its very sad to know that a dream machine can be taken away from somebody cause the company & RTO cant sort out a bunch of forms.
I can imagine how difficult it is to deal with all the babu's. It is a pan-India phenomenon.
In my case, it was more of an absolute deficiency in Customer Support. Even if one person had bothered to talk to me and the dealership would have been more forthcoming with information, I would never have returned the vehicle.
Sorry sate of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My faith is shaken.
What is M&M upto?
How can they sell a vehicle which can't get registered. I mean is that legal also?
Anything goes in India but these guys are setting the bar real high.
No Sir, it is totally illegal to sell a vehicle before it is approved for registration.
M&M is setting the bar high, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Really sad to know of these proceedings. This episode shakes the trust of more than just Janjua, I guess, with M&M, and I hope future launches from this company should be eyed with some more caution.

Given that the Owner, is no longer an Owner; is it time to lock this thread, until he gets his Thar back?
I would certainly think twice before buying a Mahindra product again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Did they returned you complete money ? what are they going to do with Car ? Were you trying to get this registered at Chandigarh or Mohali - I think Chandigarh RTO does not allow open Jeeps to be registered in fact if I am not mistaken you can be challaned in Open Jeeps - I don't know the rule though.

On a different note - were you Satisfied completely with your Purchase - if this registration is sorted will you buy this car again ? sorry for too many queries .
Yes, they refunded the entire amount - Cost of the vehicle, Insurance, Road Tax. I could not get a refund for the Geolandar AT tyres as I did not have a bill for that (exchange case).
I was trying to get it registered in Chandigarh.
It was not a matter of the open jeep. As it is Thar has a soft top. It is an issue between the State Transport Commissioner, Punjab and M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Janjua saab, you should have got the Thar registered in PB address instead of CHD address!

ik vaar fer try maar kay dekh lao janab!

i can offer you a village address in PB to register your Thar in your name!
Thanks for the offer Parm.
I feel this is not a proper solution to the problem. Also I had already paid the Road Tax in Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I think Sandeep you should give registering in PB a thought.Though the callous attitude of mahindra on this is very very sad and shocking.It seems like BD Sir was the only proactive person in this company pushing people around to work. Now that he's left the real picture is coming out. If open jeeps are not allowed by the Chandigarh RTO, the same should have been informed beforehand to the customer. It is the duty of the Dealer to do so. Otherwise what good is his staff if he cannot even provide this much information.

Sandeep ji did you try at you end about the registration with some of the unofficial brokers at the RTO? If yes then what did they have to say about it.

You really had built a good relationship with your vehicle and were enjoying it as well. In my opinion you should give it a second try.
Navpreet, I agree. BD Sir leaving M&M was a kind of a personal loss to all Thar owners.
But, surprisingly there are over 150 orders pending at Goel Motors for Thar CRDe. I have seen the order copies myself. Most politicians have booked at least 4-5 Thar's and are awaiting delivery (election season). Also M&M is delivering white CRDe's to politicians that were earlier not available for the average customer. So, Thar sales are sky rocketing, but sadly in my case, fate had different ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Extremely sorry to hear of your plight, I can only imagine what you must be going through after returning a Jeep that you so passionately brought home.

SHAME ON MAHINDRA! Is this the way a supposedly world-class company is run? Is this how you treat your fan base? Lifestyle vehicle, my foot. What's the point of all that marketing when Jeeps cannot even be registered with some RTOs. And why on earth was this vehicle sold to Janjua in the first place!!! Oh yes, it's your lousy "chalta hai" attitude from the monopolistic days. Wake up dudes, and RISE.

@ Janjua : Please take your business to a brand that actually appreciates your order.
You are spot on GTO. This Thar fiasco has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
M&M should have got the Thar approved before selling the vehicle to customers like me.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th August 2011 at 23:31. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 18th August 2011, 23:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navpreet, I agree. BD Sir leaving M&M was a kind of a personal loss to all Thar owners.
But, surprisingly there are over 150 orders pending at Goel Motors for Thar CRDe. I have seen the order copies myself. Most politicians have booked at least 4-5 Thar's and are awaiting delivery (election season). Also M&M is delivering white CRDe's to politicians that were earlier not available for the average customer. So, Thar sales are sky rocketing, but sadly in my case, fate had different ideas.
i would like to wait and see how these thars for politicians are registered in Chd!

maybe these Thars are for HP and PB!!
Old 18th August 2011, 23:05   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Janjua saab, this is a extremely sad experience thrust upon you by M&M. Be sure to rattle the great auto major by going to the press and television. You must surely go the legal way and demand for your dues along with compensation for the mental agony caused. All the best.
I had already prepared my case file to the Mohali Consumer Forum.
One, Mr Pardeep Gupta of Sector 9, Chandigarh won a similar case against Goel Motors on the 16th of July 2011. The court had fined Rs50,000 to Goel Motors and also directed the dealership to refund the cost of the vehicle. That Thar is also parked on the 1st floor of the dealership.
Since, M&M agreed to take back my Thar and to fully refund my money, I thought it prudent to end the matter there rather than go to the court.
Old 18th August 2011, 23:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punjab STC has not approved the Thar for registration and the dealerships across Punjab and Chandigarh started selling these vehicles, which is again wrong.
Have they said why its not approved? This is the first time I've heard of a truly bizarre situation like this. We need consistency in decision making across the country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks